Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,583 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:38 PM

Myths That Limit Financial Liberation {Must Read} - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Myths That Limit Financial Liberation {Must Read} (468 Views)

6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke / CBN Sets Daily Limit Of N100,000 On Mobile USSD Transactions / Money Myths That Have Made Nigerians Broke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Myths That Limit Financial Liberation {Must Read} by propertyvendoor: 9:09am On Nov 05, 2016
Financial liberation is beyond most people’s reach because of the following four myths and destructive mind-sets:

Retirement Myth
Financial Freedom Myth
Entitlement Mentality
Fallacy of “Someday”

• Retirement Myth

Retirement myth is the idea that the purpose of life is to work for thirty years, save enough money, and then stop working and live off one’s savings.

This destructive myth causes many people to stay in jobs they don’t like and that don’t allow them full expression of their best talents. It makes us sell our “birthright” for a “mess of pottage” in the form of golden handcuffs and benefits. It often leads to small lives built around limited dreams.

In contrast to this myth, the financially liberated find what they love to do, regardless of what it may cost them in short-term benefits and illusory security. If you’re doing what you love, why would you ever want to retire? Why would you ever want to escape? How can one retire from living their core purpose? In this mind-set, life is a continuum, where new life phases only lead to higher contributions.

• Financial Freedom Myth

The core difference between those operating under this myth and those with the retirement mind-set is that these people are just a little more ambitious. They don’t want to wait until they are sixty-five; they want to be free now.

However, for most people, being financially free has very little to do with their highest purpose in life. It signifies freedom from having to work, without detailing the freedom to live and serve with more meaning.

I associate it with the “playboy” lifestyle. As I have perceived it, it’s based on materialism rather than meaning. It hinges on having money, rather than revolving around values and ideals.

But more than this, my issue with “financial freedom” is that it is indefinite and dependent upon externalities. When will you be financially “free”?

When you are worth N1 million? When you have N3 million of liquid cash? When your house is paid off? Is there not an internal liberation that one can achieve in spite of such external circumstances? Is it possible to transcend time and account balances and be free regardless by living your higher purpose?

• The Entitlement Mentality

I am not alone in believing that Nigerians, through tough times, have developed an entitlement mentality. We feel entitled to retirement benefit, to comfort, to job security, to work benefits. This leads to wallowing in victim hood, rather than achieving victory.

It leads to the relinquishing of personal responsibility and perceiving that other people owe us our desired lifestyle. Rather than proactively pursuing personal fulfillment, we wait around for other people and circumstances to fall into place. We wait for our “ship” to come in, rather than swimming out to meet it, or simply creating it.

• The Fallacy of “Someday”

“Someday I will own a property;” “Someday I will buy property and invest in real estate;” “Someday I will l run for political office.” “Someday I will lose weight.” You’ve heard these and other similar thoughts expressed, or perhaps you’ve even expressed them yourself, right? We all do.

The problem is this: When is someday? There are certainly things that require planning and patience, but “someday” is but a counterfeit of such wisdom and perseverance. The lack of money is just a symptom of the lack of purpose in one’s life; money cannot fill that void.

“Someday” is an excuse for not owning a property. If you really want something, then sit down and create a comprehensive plan for achieving it, complete with a timeline, detailed steps, and what you’re willing to do. The financially liberated don’t casually spout out “somedays”; they deliberately proclaim specifics. {Visit www.propertyvendoor.com.ng to search for properties listed by top agents in Nigeria and kill "someday"}

http://propertyvendoor.com.ng/myths-that-limit-financial-liberation/

(1) (Reply)

Underground Secrets To Earning Online / Should Making Use Of Technology In Banking Be By Force Like Gtbank Insist / 8 Home Bassed Business Ideas Fof Men And Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.