Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,029 members, 7,807,053 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:58 AM

Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight (71885 Views)

Some Diets Pregnant Women Should Avoid / Top 10 Foods You Should Avoid During Weight Loss / Foods That You Must Avoid If You Have High Blood Pressure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by vic155: 12:42pm On Nov 07, 2016
Okey then what else remain in Nigerian dishes grin
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by korrej(m): 12:43pm On Nov 07, 2016
.... And diabetes too... @topic
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by Benjom(m): 12:48pm On Nov 07, 2016
Ego2:
what bout u?

注意你的商務女士
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by Nobody: 12:51pm On Nov 07, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

haha...all fruits are good o. I didn't say banana is bad but know that too much of everything is bad.
to gain 1kilogram one needs to eat 7000of calories extra.
if your body needs 2500 calorie daily . and let's say you eat food that meets that exact amount, all of a suddent you started adding banana as extra. if you eat 10bananaa that's 1000calories because 1 banana has an average of 100calories.
but banana has very beautiful composition so it shouldn't be avoided rather eaten in moderate amounts.
so if your body needs 2500calories and you want to lose weight. try not to consume foods over 2500calories daily otherwise you will add weight.
For those that exercise or walk a lot, you will need more than 2500calories to maintain your daily weight. use this website to check how much calories you need daily

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

Thanks bro.. I'll do that
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by Bombolistic: 12:53pm On Nov 07, 2016
Dem wan kill person? Wetin remain again? Remember we're Africans. High calories gets us going, lol
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by Sultanchidi(m): 1:05pm On Nov 07, 2016
emerged01:
Kuku tell the person make e no chop
I tire oh
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by KunleSteel: 1:12pm On Nov 07, 2016
I stopped reading when I saw FRIED PLANTAIN... for what na? Mtvheeeeeew
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by kayo80(m): 1:44pm On Nov 07, 2016
I eat all these and I am still skinny.
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by Jackdasilver(m): 1:46pm On Nov 07, 2016
i should avoid all of these in order to lose weight, right? Waiting i go come for this naija way don bend.
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by Nobody: 1:50pm On Nov 07, 2016
so what's left to eat then? doing away with all those will not benefit anyone. moderation is key! I know a lot of slim, flat bellied people who eat all those. Just dont go about eating food thats enough for 5 people
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by seyiojomu(m): 1:54pm On Nov 07, 2016
So which food is now remaining in Nigeria dat somebody can now eat?
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by pafra(m): 1:58pm On Nov 07, 2016
OKAY
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by PatAkpos: 2:11pm On Nov 07, 2016
You suppose to play the reggae after the blues @ op. After the don'ts, where are the do's? Abi na dry fasting be the only option?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by MizSparks(f): 2:23pm On Nov 07, 2016
OP wetin kon remain?
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by Adesiji77: 2:33pm On Nov 07, 2016
emerged01:

cheesy grin
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by qleap2all(m): 3:18pm On Nov 07, 2016
NgcoboP:

chop but always work out

A timely piece. A friend just advice me to chop up having noticed nothing has changed (stature wise) since we left school 13 yrs ago. I hardly eat much of those foods.
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by profstar(m): 3:43pm On Nov 07, 2016
betapikin:
CALORIES
Today our topic will be based on calories people tends to believe that eating fatty foods is what actually make them fat but in essence it was intake of too much calories.

What is calorie
A calories is a particular unit of energy that we use to measure energy content in our food and beverage.
People that want to lose weight are advise to eat less calories that their body will burn each day. If a food was giving to you and the person said it contain 150 calories what the person is telling you is that your body could get energy that is up to 150 from taking that food. calories is good for our body because our body needs energy to keep us going.
However eating too much calories without any active body exercise will leads to excess fat in the body.

HOW MANY CALORIES SHOULD I EAT DAILY TO KEEP FIT
Here is a brief explanation on numbers of calories you should eat per day in other to keep fit. It has been discovered in a recent research that a woman will need to eat approximately 2000 calories per day and to burn one pound a week she will need 1500 calories daily. same also applicable to man he will need 2500 calories to keep going and to burn a pound in a week 2000 calories a will be okay.
We have take our time to list out some Nigerian foods that has high calories in them but a lot of people were not aware of it.
Lose your weight by eating this foods-no need for exercise

SEMOVITA
Semovita is among the numerous swallows we have in Nigeria in fact most people preferred it among the rest due to its closeness to pounded yam. but what people did not understand is that especially for those who are planning to loose weight it contain high calories for instance, A cup of semovita is said to contain almost 600 calories alongside vegetable soup of your choice which will comes with its own calories due to our excess use of palmoil.
I will advise you to write off semovita from your meals if you are planning to shed some pounds in a couples of weeks.

WHEAT FLOUR
A cup of wheat flour contain approximately 400 calories

EBA/GARRI
Garri that will be make into eba or drink by a grow up man is said to contain almost 360 calories

POUNDED YAM
It contain higest calories ever a cup of milk tin is around 400 calories now assuming you take like 2 tin milk that will be around 800 calories and i know a lot of people do take more that just 2 cups.

INDOMIE NOODLE
It contain a lot of calories super pack is said to be around 600 calories not to talk of hungry man size and a lot of people do usually take more that one pack.

FRIED PLANTAIN
A slice of plantain contain 68 calories multiply it by number of sliced you put on your meal.

TUWO (WHITE CORN MEAL)
A cup of tuwo contain almost whooping 450 calories

RICE
Don't be surprise is roughly around 690 calories

OKRA
Okra soup with some additional ingredient like fish and palmoil will be around 105 calories

EGUSI SOUP
Egusi soup if well prepared with some assorted meat and stock fish is said to be around 700 calories per plate. Assuming you take egusi with 3 wraps of pounded yam which is around 600 calories per cup for your breakfast without any tangible exercising of the body you should know the result by now.

JOLOF RICE
Jolof rice a lot of people will castigate me food adding jolof rice because we all love our party jolof rice.
After adding all the ingredient a jolof rice calories is estimated to be around 800.
Learn 5 natural ways to get flat stomach in a week

A lot of people did not know that having excess calories in our body will not only add to our weight but also pose as source of other health problem.
However we are not saying we stop eating all this foods list above we are suggesting to you that you should know how to mixed them together to reduce the calorie.

HERE IS A FEW LIST SOME FOODS THAT HAS LOW CALORIES

Beans
Ewedu
Vegetables
Fruits
Drink a lot of water

credit-http://www.balotion.com/2016/11/nigerian-food-you-should-avoid-if-you.html
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by jomogua(m): 3:54pm On Nov 07, 2016
Well I don hear you , my own concern is how to go add some extra flesh...cos I no more get time to rest and I don some extra extra flesh
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by chara019: 4:01pm On Nov 07, 2016
I eat all these yet,I'm still lepa.
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by benjibabs(m): 4:14pm On Nov 07, 2016
emerged01:

Ah! no be like that na. Op self no do well for saying to avoid the food.

You can keep eating these foods and still lose weight; however, portion control and combination is the key. Imagine the menu below:

Breakfast - A loaf of Agege bread with 4 fried eggs + a tall cup of thick beverage
Lunch - 3 wraps of pounded yam with plenty of assorted meats + coke
Dinner - fat bowl of jollof rice with plenty of plantain and fried chicken + meat + juice
snacks - all sort of pies, chocolate cookies + about 2 bottles of soft drink (spread out through out the day)
Plus no workout other than jumping on buses to get to and back from work (as someone posted already)

In fact, I don't even know how to calculate the calories in the above menu. shocked shocked shocked Let's just assume it is about 10,000

Now, lets refine the menu a bit:
Breakfast - Two slices of bread and 2 fried eggs + I cup of tea (with
Lunch - 1 wrap of pounded yam with plenty of vegetable soup (leafy part o) + two pieces of meat (about 3onzes altogether- image meat the size of a pack of playing cards)
Dinner - a tea cup of cooked rice + lots of beans or chic peas + salad ( No meat again same day) wink
snacks - crackers + about 3 bottles of water (add fresh lemon)
At least 1 hour of moderate work out.

The above is still not perfect, I'd rather not eat rice again the same day I eat pando yam and bread, so maybe just stew beans for dinner. Also, I might just have a small bowl of oat meal in the morning instead of bread. With that I'd move bread and rice to another day. grin grin grin

Just my 2kobo

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by emerged01(m): 4:28pm On Nov 07, 2016
benjibabs:

Ah! no be like that na. Op self no do well for saying to avoid the food.

You can keep eating these foods and still lose weight; however, portion control and combination is the key. Imagine the menu below:

Breakfast - A loaf of Agege bread with 4 fried eggs + a tall cup of thick beverage
Lunch - 3 wraps of pounded yam with plenty of assorted meats + coke
Dinner - fat bowl of jollof rice with plenty of plantain and fried chicken + meat + juice
snacks - all sort of pies, chocolate cookies + about 2 bottles of soft drink (spread out through out the day)
Plus no workout other than jumping on buses to get to and back from work (as someone posted already)

In fact, I don't even know how to calculate the calories in the above menu. shocked shocked shocked Let's just assume it is about 10,000

Now, lets refine the menu a bit:
Breakfast - Two slices of bread and 2 fried eggs + I cup of tea (with
Lunch - 1 wrap of pounded yam with plenty of vegetable soup (leafy part o) + two pieces of meat (about 3onzes altogether- image meat the size of a pack of playing cards)
Dinner - a tea cup of cooked rice + lots of beans or chic peas + salad ( No meat again same day) wink
snacks - crackers + about 3 bottles of water (add fresh lemon)
At least 1 hour of moderate work out.

The above is still not perfect, I'd rather not eat rice again the same day I eat pando yam and bread, so maybe just stew beans for dinner. Also, I might just have a small bowl of oat meal in the morning instead of bread. With that I'd move bread and rice to another day. grin grin grin

Just my 2kobo

You are right but this recession don make people throw away food time table.

Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by abacusbabababa1: 4:45pm On Nov 07, 2016
all the foods the Op listed are my favourites but if u see me,papa Ajasco is fatter than me
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by teejaypee: 4:45pm On Nov 07, 2016
doing the exact opposite!
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by Solmax(m): 5:02pm On Nov 07, 2016
In summary...Don't eat again
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by afrokid(m): 5:11pm On Nov 07, 2016
Coldfeet:
cry op you wicked o! Wetin make person chop nah? Grass and water? Abeg allow me chop my swallow in peace...
Just negodu all the sumptuous meals this op want person to avoid just because of figure? angry

Moderation should be the watch word not outright cutting off.

Chai, u harsh sha o, just look wetin u post for picture. Now i don dey find d nearest canteen...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by aalangel(f): 5:13pm On Nov 07, 2016
emerged01:

I really laughed out loud.
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by emerged01(m): 6:32pm On Nov 07, 2016
aalangel:

I really laughed out loud.
grin na so na!
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by akinwole21: 7:16pm On Nov 07, 2016
Very good write up op. However, I will disagree with some of the foods you have listed, okra is a vegetable hence should be encouraged, fish and all the extras will not make us add weight. It is actually the garri, the pounded yam, the fufu, etc that goes with the okra that makes it high in calories, the same goes for egusi soup. Excess palm oil should be avoided. Beans is another food that we always think is low in calories but in actual fact it is high in calories but can't be compared with white rice.
Moderation is key when it comes to weight loss, I am speaking from experience, I have lost 16kg in one year eating regular foods and excercising so I know what I'm talking about.
Things to avoid: all forms of fizzy drinks(la casera, coke, sprite etc), biscuits, chocolate and anything from refined sugar, avoid white bread as much as u can, incorporate loads of vegetables in ur meals, fruits are good but some contain alot of sugar, snack on low sugar fruits such as apples, sour sop.
Due to personal reasons I've not posted my progress picture.
Drink alot of water and reduce salt intake. I hope this helps someone.
Bottom line: you can lose weight while eating our naija foods x3 a day plus snack. Moderation is key and excersise is to tone up the muscles and be firm.
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by ElPhenomenal(m): 8:32pm On Nov 07, 2016
I don dy chop all dis meal all my life still i skinny pass anything grin
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by youngjoy(f): 8:44pm On Nov 07, 2016
[quote author=emerged01 post=50827754]Kuku tell the person make e no chop[hahaha u jus spoke my mind]
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by youngjoy(f): 8:48pm On Nov 07, 2016
Kuku tell the person make e no chop[hahaha u jus spoke my mind]
Re: Nigeria Foods You Should Avoid If You Are Planning To Lose Weight by justmenoni: 2:23pm On Nov 10, 2016
Don't eat this Don't eat that... what exactly should someone eat? GRASS ?? Op, just so you know that my doctor actually told me so stop eating any kind of beans as it causes gas and air which stores up in your stomach and people will think your belly is big as a result of fat or alcohol and also cabbage is not advisable as well.... You can't just say eat vegetables without specifying which one and you know our culture that we don't just eat or drink soup like the whites.. if we prepare vegetable( unless you are talking about green peppers) should we eat eat alone without any kind of solid?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lady Born With Cleft Undergoes Surgery: Before And After Pictures / Please,how Effective Is The Mixture Of Lime And Lipton,in Weight Loss / Coronavirus: Lagos Begins Door-to-door Search

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.