Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,718 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:55 PM

Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira (41049 Views)

Akwa Ibom Government Boosts Cocoa Farming With 500,000 Seedlings / Border Closure: Ofada Rice Farmers Make Profit Amid Challenges / Direct Cocoa Farmers Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by Nobody: 5:52am On Nov 12, 2016
ritababe:

ask yourself, you are part of us.

You sound very smart.
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by buchai: 6:05am On Nov 12, 2016
nairaland sucks this days repeating questions all the time these question was asked on November 8 and now thesame question is been ask again today i don't know who is the person or persons that wants to familized there region with cocoa simply because they heard that northern région are producing tones of Rice and easthern region are doing thesame why? cocoa is this and cocoa is that with the old pictures of cocoa processing. if there are quantum of cocoa invite minister for agriculture and the CBN governor for them to see and make sure they are been put to use for the Good of all Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by TeamSimple(m): 6:15am On Nov 12, 2016
codemaniacs:

Some regions would have gone far.

If Nigeria was still practising regionalism. U would never ever hear of Dangote and the entire northern elite infact the north will have very few elites.
Keep shut please..Its a well recorded fact that the Dangote family comprising of the Dantata's are one of the first Billionaires of Africa. They were one of the families to procure a private jet.

The north were more vast and international in trade than any region before colonialism and shift to oil income. Dangote has been Africa richest man for over a decade and the only time we here about him in connection to oil was when he started building his refinery which hasn't started adding to his networth.

So Please leave the north and Dangote out of your misery.

1 Like

Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by TeamSimple(m): 6:23am On Nov 12, 2016
Bubu4Sea:
[size=14pt]Excellent, so the South West can go back to their cocoa and leave our oil alone.

Chai, can you imagine our sophisticated South West going to farm
[img]http://image.hotdog.hu/user/11angyalka/magazin/photo-friday-sweet-success-for-cocoa-farmers.tns.jpg[/img]
Well no more oil to drink for them.
Cocoa is now making money grin grin grin

[/size] grin grin grin
Stop being unnecessarily silly..The southwest economy would stiill better yours by the fact that they know how to generate revenue withing it's economy.

And if you are being objective enough you should know southwest is a more welcoming ground for foreign investors than another region in Nigeria. Even your people from the east won't stop running to Lagos as a foreigner if you are handed independence.

Osun state gets almost nothing from the federal govt in allocation but it's regarded as one of the state's with better infrastructures and projects. Don't even go near lagos,coz it IGR alone can feed a particular region.

Even with your 13% derivation and small population,how has it better your life?

2 Likes

Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by codemaniacs: 6:31am On Nov 12, 2016
TeamSimple:

Keep shut please..Its a well recorded fact that the Dangote family comprising of the Dantata's are one of the first Billionaires of Africa. They were one of the families to procure a private jet.

The north were more vast and international in trade than any region before colonialism and shift to oil income. Dangote has been Africa richest man for over a decade and the only time we here about him in connection to oil was when he started building his refinery which hasn't started adding to his networth.

So Please leave the north and Dangote out of your misery.

Keep deceiving yourself.

Obj made d:angote who he is today.

North didn't have s:hit. That's why their foreign masters warned and prevented north from seceding out of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by Shaibu1275: 6:40am On Nov 12, 2016
Good to knowns more about cocoa current market price.
I will equally like nairaland , to stick to the latest price of cashews nut per tones for us. unlike last year cashew but was @ the highest prise compared to the previous years back.. kogi state is blessed with cashew but especially part of igala's land. like ofu LGA, Dekina, igalamela, Ankpa respectively are the largest quantity & qualities suppliers in Nigeria ifnot African as whole.
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by Shaibu1275: 6:43am On Nov 12, 2016
Good to knowns more about cocoa current market price.
I will equally like nairaland , to stick to the latest price of cashews nut per tones for us. unlike last year cashew nut was @ the highest prise compared to the previous years back.. kogi state is blessed with cashew nut especially part of igala's land. like ofu LGA, Dekina, igalamela, Ankpa respectively are the largest quantity & qualities suppliers in Nigeria ifnot African as whole.

1 Like

Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by olajizz01(m): 7:17am On Nov 12, 2016
basilo102:
This is not about cocoa alone. all exporters make more money on weaker currency. we export little and import a lot that's why a weaker currency is not generally good for Nigeria. Secondly, cocoa exporters make the money, not cocoa farmers, they are different
u said cocoa exporters make the money,not cocoa farmers,don't say that again,i have cocoa farm and know how much i am making now compare to before.

2 Likes

Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by olajizz01(m): 7:36am On Nov 12, 2016
TeamSimple:

Stop being unnecessarily silly..The southwest economy would stiill better yours by the fact that they know how to generate revenue withing it's economy.

And if you are being objective enough you should know southwest is a more welcoming ground for foreign investors than another region in Nigeria. Even your people from the east won't stop running to Lagos as a foreigner if you are handed independence.

Osun state gets almost nothing from the federal govt in allocation but it's regarded as one of the state's with better infrastructures and projects. Don't even go near lagos,coz it IGR alone can feed a particular region.

Even with your 13% derivation and small population,how has it better your life?
well said,don't mind those people,they have low or no thinking faculty,imagining blowing the pipeline causing environmental degradation in their own region,can Yorubas do this?no matter what happen between we and FG because we know that FG is not living in our region,so if we do that,we did it at our own detriment.

2 Likes

Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by murmee: 7:55am On Nov 12, 2016
DICKtator:
This is what the West should be investing in and exporting while the North build their legendary groundnut pyramids and the East produce more palm kernel and export it!!

Regionalism should set the way to liberalism

grin grin grin grin
Your suggestions are what the clamour for Restructuring is all about but some people especially Northerners misunderstand it as break up of Nigeria!!
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by buffalowings: 8:36am On Nov 12, 2016
OK

Well the money will have less value

Abi dem Don forget devaluation of naira.

angry
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by Mileslamar1(m): 10:27am On Nov 12, 2016
shocked
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by basilo102: 4:38pm On Nov 12, 2016
Cocoa exporters, not cocoa farmers make the money
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by achyc2002(m): 5:22pm On Nov 12, 2016
AreaFada2:

Cocoa is hard work sha.

It takes many years to start getting a decent harvest. With proper maintenance and the right soil (slight acidic, well-drained) that still preserves some water to help in dry season, by year 10 after planting, harvest should be good.

It is a delicate plant: not too much rain, not too much heat, some shade but not too much, not too windy area & better if a bit on a slope leading to a river (underground moisture likely).

Then prepare for phythopthora spp (black pod) infection affecting young pods especially in the later part (September/October) of cool raining season. The ancestors made cool money from cocoa. Cocoa was treated almost like a pet dog or a horse. But we lack the patience & tenacity of those days.

That is the cocoa of the past. There is 18months harvestable cocoa now. I know this cos am an expert in it

5 Likes

Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by AreaFada2: 6:10pm On Nov 12, 2016
achyc2002:

That is the cocoa of the past. There is 18months harvestable cocoa now. I know this cos am an expert in it

You may be right. But having seen thousands of acres of cocoa in the past, I have never seen any properly fruiting under 4 years.

What cocoa breed is that?
A hybrid?

Enlighten people here. With pictures please.

Even the trinitario breed does not fruit in 18 months.

After all, we're here to learn. For free.
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by Damosyk(m): 7:49pm On Nov 12, 2016
hello
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by muhamm3d: 8:46pm On Nov 12, 2016
AreaFada2:

You may be right. But having seen thousands of acres of cocoa in the past, I have never seen any properly fruiting under 4 years.

A hybrid?

Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by muhamm3d: 8:50pm On Nov 12, 2016
AreaFada2:

A hybrid?

So the picture will also tell you how it started fruiting in 18months ??

There are hybrid cocoa of 18months. They are stronger and not susceptible to diseases too. It's the older forms of cocoa that starts yielding in 5 years. Even if you see acocoa plantation it's not like 18months or 4 years will be written on each tree
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by AreaFada2: 9:06pm On Nov 12, 2016
muhamm3d:

So the picture will also tell you how it started fruiting in 18months ??

There are hybrid cocoa of 18months. They are stronger and not susceptible to diseases too. It's the older forms of cocoa that starts yielding in 5 years. Even if you see acocoa plantation it's not like 18months or 4 years will be written on each tree

My brother, instead of going on a tangent, tell us more about it. Anybody can say coconut or agbalumo tree fruiting at 6 months are available.
Pics say more than a thousand words. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

With pics, trained eyes can see if the fruits are of the established breeds: Criollo, Forastero or a hybrid of both called Trinitario. Or a completely different cultivar that we do not know yet.
Age may not be written but a lot of information can be gleaned from it.

I have posted here on NL agric section about oil palm supergene breed available in Indonesia. If it is now available in 9ja but no reply. The supergene was a result of 27 years massive research and it fruits in just 2 and a half years.

So shed more light: name of breed, description, where discovered, where found in 9ja, etc.
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by desire21a: 10:01pm On Nov 12, 2016
angry

Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by Nukualofa: 10:17pm On Nov 12, 2016
Lalasticlala plz how many times will this story hit fp this week
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by willibounce1(m): 10:18pm On Nov 12, 2016
Who is the mod reposting the same thing over and over again? Which kain nonesense be this?

2 Likes

Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by Seun(m): 10:29pm On Nov 12, 2016
Sorry, this wil be the last time. I think this info is very important.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by Walphem(m): 10:30pm On Nov 12, 2016
Is there a specific reason this topic keep dragging on the front page since over 5 days?

2 Likes

Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by AreaFada2: 10:41pm On Nov 12, 2016
Seun:
Sorry, this wil be the last time. I think this info is very important.

You're right Seun. People want to go into cocoa farming but they think it takes too long to fruit. The more info we get here, the better.

Moreover, Cocoa House in Ibadan was built majorly with cocoa money. It played a big part in propelling SW to be the region with some of the best educated in Africa in the 1950s to 70s. The high level of highly educated people in Ekiti & Ondo is still a testament to cocoa. Pa Awo couldn't have done it without cocoa.

So cocoa here is symbolic for our neglected agric sector generally.
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by ephi123(f): 10:43pm On Nov 12, 2016
basilo102:
Cocoa exporters, not cocoa farmers make the money

If this is true it is definitely nothing to be proud of.
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by DICKtator: 10:44pm On Nov 12, 2016
Why is this making frontpage every time ? More than 3 times!!

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by AreaFada2: 10:47pm On Nov 12, 2016
ephi123:

If this is true it is definitely nothing to be proud of.
True.
But in Ghana, Fair Trade practices have improved income of some farmers, so it can only get better. Especially as awareness grows.

Even with the Cocoa co-operative of those days, many farmers still made good money.
Re: Cocoa Farmers Make More Money On Weaker Naira by achyc2002(m): 10:58pm On Nov 12, 2016
AreaFada2:

A hybrid?

My client bought some from the state government sponsored prog and we've started counting days. I will upload the pics when I take a trip back to the area.

Meanwhile, a formal associate of mine in Ghana also confirmed it. If you have frnds in Ghana, confirm it.

I know is new improve hybrid but don't know what it is called. I will confirm this also and get back to the group.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Rom Oil Mills - Biggest Edible Oil Refinery - Launched In Ibadan / A Disabled Man Working On His Rice Farm In Zamfara (Photos) / Contemporary Step-by-step Guide To Non-oil Products Export Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.