Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,468 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:26 PM

Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) (3734 Views)

Fuel Crisis: 5 Reasons Why Buhari Cannot Stop Fuel Importation / Nigeria Spends $6bn Annually On Vehicle Importation, Says Aganga / Marketers To Suspend Fuel Importation Over N356.2bn Unpaid Subsidy Claims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:58pm On Oct 30, 2009
http://allafrica.com/stories/printable/200910300838.html

Philip Nyam

30 October 2009

Abuja — As part of its preparation towards the commencement of deregulation of the down stream sector, the federal government has banned the importation of finished petroleum products for one month.

This was disclosed yesterday by the executive director of Petroleum Products Pricing and Regulatory Agency (PPPRA) when he appeared before the House of Representatives committee on petroleum resources (down stream).

The implication of the suspension was that there would be dislocation in the supply chain leading to panic buying and artificial scarcity.

According to the executive director, the PPPRA has withheld the approval and licence for the importation of petroleum products into the country for a whole month following a directive from the presidency.

"NNPC was importing 47 per cent of the total oil import and other oil marketers were importing 53 per cent," it was revealed.

An Assistant General Manager, Alhaji Abner Ishiaku who represented the Executive Director of PPPRA told the lawmakers that the agency withheld approvals to products importers for a month because it was waiting for the government to commence the deregulation of the petroleum sector.

He explained that PPPRA only gives approval and that it was the Department of Petroleum Resources that issues licences for importation, adding that PPPRA had even sent its requests for approval to the Presidency but got no response.

Reacting to the revelation, chairman of Depot and Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (DAPMAN), Mr. S. Okoli faulted the PPPRA, saying that the directive of PPPRA on importation of finished products by DPR was deceptive.

"Listening to the PPPRA, it means they don't have the approval from whatever authority to issue licences," he told the committee.

He explained that the PPPRA was telling Nigerians that the government no longer has the funds to continue subsidising imported petroleum products.

In a related development, the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) denied that it has a cartel that collects $500, 000 (N75 million) daily from oil importation.

Group Executive Director, Alhaji Aminu Babakusa who represented the GMD NNPC, Dr. Mohammed Sanusi Barkindo said that there was no truth in the allegation levelled against the NNPC by a daily newspaper, adding that the Corporation was not angling to be a monopoly.

The committee, through the Deputy Chairman, Hon. Bamidele Aro had earlier in the week summoned the Group Managing director of Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Mohammed Sanusi Barkindo, and the Managing Director, Pipeline and Products Marketing Company (PPMC), Reginald Stanley to appear before it over allegations a clique in the NNPC and PPMC were receiving $500,000 (75 million) daily from fuel importation into the country to the detriment of the country.
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by cvibe: 4:47pm On Oct 31, 2009
I am still wondering why NNPC and major oil companies cannot be mandated to build refineries.

All around the Gulf of Mexico in the US, these major oil companies have refineries scattered everywhere. You will never see a single flare, but rather bright halogen lamps.

It is about time NNPC stops signing nonsense JV's and start living up to its name.

NNPC needs injection of fresh ideas and new vision to drive its future growth.
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by Johnpaul2k2(m): 4:58pm On Oct 31, 2009
Plz can someone explain 2 me d or even detail of d meaning of "deregulation" b4 i comment on dis issue[color=][/color][color=][/color][color=][/color][color=][/color]
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 31, 2009
Thats d point.deregulation when u know we are in a volatile country.Govt/nnpc can deregulate but d time is not yet ripe for it.U hav no functioning refineries,bad roads&theres no alternative to road transport,no railway,we need fuel for our gen since phcn is dead.30mins ago, i just came from a filling station.If u see queue on lagos island&touts rushing kai,i spent 2hrs there&even bribed my way in to buy 30Litres for my car&gen.May God help us
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:05pm On Oct 31, 2009
Johnpaul2k2:

Plz can someone explain 2 me d or even detail of d meaning of "deregulation" b4 i comment on dis issue

The removal of controls on a particular market aimed at improving the economic efficiency of that market and therefore the performance of the economy at the microeconomic level. Deregulation is generally considered a supply side policy

So what is your take on this, has the FG failed us all these years by sustaining an environment of dependency or have they given the Oil cartels the freedom to cream margins off final consumers (that's us) the loss of sales due to global drop in crude and refined products prices and a squeeze on Letters of Credits from our ailing Banking industry? undecided
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by 1forall: 5:17pm On Oct 31, 2009
Ok fuel scarcity here we go again?

When are we gonna do something about these corrupt monsters?

angry angry angry
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by Nobody: 5:33pm On Oct 31, 2009
What u can do against corrupt monsters is to vote PDP out in 2011& support atiku,buhari,bafarawa,utomi etc democratic movement. Pdp 8yrs of obj was fuel fuel&strike.Now pdp 2yrs umaru fuel,deregulation&importation/scarcity
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by RichyBlacK(m): 5:55pm On Oct 31, 2009
The Nigerian government remains the most useless in the world!
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by eros(m): 6:13pm On Oct 31, 2009
One day Nigeria will be a great country like the U.S., but until then, Get them guns and kill these BASTARDS angry angry angry

God Bless Nigeria
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by slimes(m): 6:37pm On Oct 31, 2009
Yes deregulation is a supply sided aid. Elementary Economics describes that when supply is shortened at the expense of demand, the price increases and the consumers suffer. This is the scenario we're looking at.
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by Nobody: 6:47pm On Oct 31, 2009
@slimm God bless u.Nigerian masses will suffer this time from N65 to N104=N39 difference not d rich politicians or yar adua
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by stagger: 7:03pm On Oct 31, 2009
D lines are back in full force! Nigerians, get ready to suffer big time!
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by DisGuy: 7:29pm On Oct 31, 2009
slimes:

Yes deregulation is a supply sided aid. Elementary Economics describes that when supply is shortened at the expense of demand, the price increases and the consumers suffer. This is the scenario we're looking at.

well with a responsible government, this is a good policy, the country will be saving a massive 600b yearly
which can then be channelled into transportation, education, health and maybe a pay rise wink
plus there might be more incentive for private refineries
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by Dclique(m): 7:48pm On Oct 31, 2009
The nigerian government should pls re-think this. This is a very bad time for a this wahala. The festive season is just around the corner.
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by Dclique(m): 7:50pm On Oct 31, 2009
The nigerian government should pls re-think this.

Its a very bad time for this kind of wahala. The festive season is just around the corner.
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by Nobody: 8:08pm On Oct 31, 2009
Thank god ,am out of that hell of a country called nigeria
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by DisGuy: 8:12pm On Oct 31, 2009
The thing i don't get is the suspension of importation, instead of flooding the market with the product
at least the product will be available for people who can pay for it

Where are the Nairaland economists!
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by blacksta(m): 8:12pm On Oct 31, 2009
mobuch:

Thank god ,am out of that hell of a country called nigeria

what about your family members - unless you dont send money home.
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by kshow1(m): 8:14pm On Oct 31, 2009
Until there is a BLOODY REVOLUTION we will not get out of this mess
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by Igwe9(m): 8:15pm On Oct 31, 2009
re-branding my foot angry
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by blacksta(m): 8:20pm On Oct 31, 2009
kshow1:

Until there is a BLOODY REVOLUTION we will not get out of this mess

The question is would you lead it - I strongly believe the suspension of fuel importation is teach Nigerians a lesson that we either accept deregulation or suffer.
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by Nobody: 8:21pm On Oct 31, 2009
do you know that one litre of fuel in aba costs 140 naira.
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by lawyer(m): 8:24pm On Oct 31, 2009
The Fuel Scarcity has already started in Lagos Today immediately the Environmental Excercise ended . There are super long lines of queues everywhere and Monday is going to be a terrible day for workers and commuters. I spent almost N10,000 today trying to buy fuel to prepare for a forthcoming bleak week of pain and suffering. Why we like Punishing ourselves in this country for no Just cause is just Incomprehendible! undecided
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by DisGuy: 8:31pm On Oct 31, 2009
I dont think theres scarcity now, I think people are panicking, if the government stops importation today the effect shouldn't be felt till some few weeks, since the government announced November 1st people start buying more for the future
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by Nobody: 8:40pm On Oct 31, 2009
This scarcity is artificial.Its a gimick by d yar adua administration to make nigerians accept deregulation by force.Why shd he order nnpc to stop importation now? Have we not been importing fuel into nigeria before 91 under babangida,abacha,abdulsalam,obj&now under yar adua regime? Yar wants to stop it without making alternatives for us.This is d result scarcity.Mrs rebranding where are u.FIFA IS WATCHIN G THIS SHOW OF SHAME.
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by cash2coldiz: 9:22pm On Oct 31, 2009
is it a crime if Nigeria stop the importation of fuel into the country?, what we fail to understand is our leaders do not give a single damn whether the citizen will suffer from it or not, afterall the will always have full access to fuel, We need to pray for Nigeria,
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by DoubleN(m): 9:33pm On Oct 31, 2009
I really hate this country!!!I had to go all the way to Lagos Island from Surulere just to get fuel today!
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by JijiInc: 10:20pm On Oct 31, 2009
We talk about deregulation, is the country ready for it? If Yar adull increases fuel price via deregulation to N109 is there a corresponging increase in the standard of living of the common man. We need fuel to power our generators, run our cars, e.t.c. At the moment I am using my generator, my car's tank is empty, and i csn not do without the essential fuel. How are we going to survive. God will help us!
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by naijaway(m): 10:26pm On Oct 31, 2009
RichyBlacK:

The Nigerian government remains the most useless in the world!

What more can i say. for two decades, has been and somewhat currently.
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by frgy1: 10:41pm On Oct 31, 2009
this our president don dey mara o. if he stops the importation of fuel, were the one wey we go dey use go come from, abi na firewood we go chop into little bits pour into our car and gen tanks?
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by agathamari(f): 10:50pm On Oct 31, 2009
toba:

@slimm God bless u.Nigerian masses will suffer this time from N65 to N104=N39 difference not d rich politicians or yar adua
so now nigerians will be paying about the same price for gas as the us $2.90 a gallon is about N112
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by phuckNL: 11:13pm On Oct 31, 2009
There is no scarcity "Yet". People are just panicking because they expect the pump price of fuel to increase. I was on my way out with my folks and we noticed a queue at the filling station, we decided to "top up" our tank the avoid the unexpected. I bet everyone felt the same way, hence the long queues.

agathamari:

so now nigerians will be paying about the same price for gas as the us $2.90 a gallon is about N112

Correct me if i am wrong but we don't use the same Grade-type of fuel so your comparison is baseless.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said / What You May Not Know About Alex Ekwueme / Chief Mrs. Josephine Onwudiwe Conferred With Iyaloja Of Oluwole Marke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.