Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,317 members, 7,780,772 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:44 PM

The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria (85192 Views)

Names Of Traditional Rulers In The North / Names Of Traditional Rulers In Yoruba Land / Ooni Of Ife And Oluwo Of Iwo Clash At Traditional Rulers’ Council Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by billyG(m): 9:45pm On Nov 10, 2016
Ovokoo:
Here is a list of the 5 most powerful traditional rulers in Nigeria.

http://ovoko.com.ng/5-powerful-traditional-rulers-nigeria/

5. Alaafin of Oyo

The Alaafin or Oyo is the traditional ruler of Oyo town in present day Oyo state. He is also influential beyond the borders of Oyo and is a close rival of the Ooni of Ife. The current Alaafin is Lamidi Adeyemi III.

4. Ooni of Ife

Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi Ojaja II was crowned the Ooni of Ife in December 2015 when he succeeded the late Ooni of ife, Oba Okunade Sijuwade to become the 51st Ooni of Ife. He is the most powerful and influential traditional ruler in Yorubaland.

3. Oba of Benin

The Oba of Benin, or Omo N’Oba is the most influential traditional ruler in southern Nigeria. He is the traditional ruler of the Benin empire. The current traditional ruler who is the 40th Oba of Benin is 40th Oba of Benin, Oba Ewuare I who was crowned in October 2016.

2. Emir of Kano

Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II who was the governor of Nigeria’s central bank became the Emir of Kano in 2014 where he succeed Ado Bayero. The Emirship in Kano is a highly respected one not just in the North but also in the political circles throughout Nigeria.

1. Sultan of Sokoto

The sultan of sokoto is the most powerful and influential traditional ruler in Nigeria. He is also the spiritual leader of more than 70 million Muslims in Nigeria and is revered by the Hausa/Fulani people in Northern Nigeria.

Source: http://ovoko.com.ng/5-powerful-traditional-rulers-nigeria/

who hav they influence?with kidnappers,bokoharam,militancy,hatred,ethnic violence are a piig is telling me that Traditional Rulers are influencial
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Mememan: 9:45pm On Nov 10, 2016
[s]
INTROVERT:
The Sultan trumps them all followed by the oba and the emir, alafin and ooni follow.
[/s]
Beer parlor Igbo gist

Spit

4 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Anambra1stSon(m): 9:46pm On Nov 10, 2016
orimsamsam:
this guyz are very good in snapping picture. Little argument u see dem running about to post pictures. Continue
A picture is worth a thousand words, that's my hubby, your rant can't stop me, complex idea can be conveyed with just a single still image.

3 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Mayor101010(m): 9:48pm On Nov 10, 2016
post=50934857:

Anu, Benin village you called city you want to compare to Onitsha kingdom
which place out of your landlock region can compare to an Empire... As a matter of fact when the yorubas and binis were busy building kingdoms and empires, your people were still living in huts and caves and wearing leaves and palm fronds as cloths...

8 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by bams2999(m): 9:49pm On Nov 10, 2016
i love tradition
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Mayor101010(m): 9:49pm On Nov 10, 2016
post=50934857:

Anu, Benin village you called city you want to compare to Onitsha kingdom
which place out of your landlock region can compare to an Empire... As a matter of fact when the yorubas and binis were busy building kingdoms and empires, your people were still living in huts and caves... wearing leaves and palm fronds as cloths...

2 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by elopee3000(m): 9:52pm On Nov 10, 2016
Araoluwa005:
no Igbo igwe there ni?
who ever compile this list must be high with oshogbo weed, my mother in the village dont know who is alafin or ooni or sultan of sokoto she knows only igwe of our town ,how can they be powerful when people in the east dont value them ? they re powerful in thier region angry angry angry
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by SAMDOL(m): 9:52pm On Nov 10, 2016
Ovokoo:

That's a personal opinion. The people ahead of the Ooni deserve to be there. We all know there's no traditional ruler as powerful as the Sultan as he also doubles as the head of the Muslim community in Nigeria. The Emir is also very powerful in the north and is highly revered throughout the country. The Oba of benin is arguable the most powerful traditional ruler in the south and then the Ooni before the Alaafin. We're all entitled to our opinions anyways.

please do not distort facts, even in the whole northern nigeria the Emir is number 4 in hierachy. so how come you rate him so high...it is not the post sometimes but the personality occupying the post.

3 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by KingOvoramwen1(m): 9:55pm On Nov 10, 2016
AkinPhysicist:

grin grin grin Please - you must be a comedian. Don't be silly. Benin? Common - that village? grin grin grin

your foolishness is blinding

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Anambra1stSon(m): 9:55pm On Nov 10, 2016
Mayor101010:
which place out of your landlock region can compare to an Empire... As a matter of fact when the yorubas and binis were busy building kingdoms and empires, your people were still living in huts and caves and wearing leaves and palm fronds as cloths...
You mean brown roof empire grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by slurryeye: 9:56pm On Nov 10, 2016
Eastactivist:
[b]Seun, on a disturbing note I think you should take down this thread with the fact that no traditional ruler is powerful in Nigeria but in some section of the country where his influence lies.

My reasons.
1. A traditional ruler suppose to be a ruler responsible to handle the affairs of a particular group of people (mainly ethnicity) bounded with the same tradition or cultural belief.

Now we have different traditions and cultures of different ethnicities in Nigeria and a traditional ruler of any ethnicity can not exercise his right outside his territory which he influences.

2. If we go by powerful with criteria of popularity and wealth, I think a traditional ruler cannot bypass his region and have influence in another region. He can only by being popular, by history and amount of wealth be the most powerful of that particular region.

An emir in kano cannot leave his state or region and dictate for a community in calabar no matter how highly placed and vice versa.
With this fact how then can you now tell a Nigerian who has no link or relationship or tradition or culture that so so person is the most powerful tradition ruler while the so called person has no influence on him or her except from his or her direct traditional ruler in his village ..

I there by reiterate that This thread is an insult to the collective intelligence of Nigerians, please how can you impose a ruler on a people without asking for their opinion? this is uncalled for and barbaric, this mistake can only achieve only one thing which is to add more ethnic tensions in our polity and cause avoidable ethnic psychological anomaly. I therefore call on you in your wisdom to use your office to do justice to this thread and justice for Nigerians.

Let us in our doings respect the diversity of Nigeria only then can we understand and cooperate better. [/b]

Why are you crying to Seun. No king is powerful beyond his region for your mind. Guess who the Chancellor of University of Nigeria Nsukka is? Ooni of Ife of course!

3 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Eastactivist: 9:58pm On Nov 10, 2016
[s]
Mayor101010:
[/s]

Guy Edo is nothing to compare to igbo...

Igbo has Kingdom which is the same as empire, only daft people don't know that both words are the same...

Meanwhile Edo as a whole both the lost empire and her people has been reduced to nothing but one state...

You guys are now liabilities that can only be powerful at night wielding brooms and flying around disturbing neighbours.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by sukkot: 9:58pm On Nov 10, 2016
all the traditional rulers mentioned are only known in their community except the ooni of ife. ooni of ife is king over all the yoruba regions of togo and benin republic and cuba and the oyotunji yoruba community in america and brazil. in fact he was invited and received at the USA congress and stock exchange this year as well as the oyotunji yoruba community in america which is a yoruba state in america. all the other obas are not known outside nigeria. OONI OF IFE IS NUMBER ONE NOT ONLY IN NIGERIA BUT THE MOST INFLUENTIAL AFRICAN KING IN THE WHOLE WORLD

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Anambra1stSon(m): 10:00pm On Nov 10, 2016
This is my empire

2 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by suledes(m): 10:00pm On Nov 10, 2016
The person dat posted this topic did it out of ignorance. Did he even read the history of hausas, and fulanis?

Imagine, he included Emir of Kano, and excluded Shehu of Borno kingdom.

N.B- The two most powerful kings in hausa/fulani kingdom are: Sultan of Sokoto, and Shehu of Borno Kingdom

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by ettybaba(m): 10:01pm On Nov 10, 2016
elotajohn1:
Where's OBI OF ONITSHA
Nnamumu kanu is more influencial than that boy.

5 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by gregyboy(m): 10:03pm On Nov 10, 2016
is it been judged by population dey controll or by tribalism or by achievement or by strength they have now let's rate this

1.most ruled king in populations = sultan of sokoto

2. by strength and popularity= oba of benin

3.most travelled and adore= ooni of ife

4.most rich= emir if kano

5..most feared and respected=oba of benin

6.most funny= king of calabar wearing two crowns one by British one for himself

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Eastactivist: 10:06pm On Nov 10, 2016
slurryeye:

Why are you crying to Seun. No king is powerful beyond his region for your mind. Guess who the Chancellor of University of Nigeria Nsukka is? Ooni of Ife of course!

You have a shallow thinking...

And how does being a chancellor transcend to being powerful in the region? . Ooni is a nobody but a guest in anywhere in igbo land... He might not be allowed to wear his crown to even enter the east let alone issue a royal or non royal order, is he crazy??

And for the records... Igwe Alfred Achebe, Obi of Onitsha is still the Chancellor of the Ahmadu Bello University

2 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Mayor101010(m): 10:07pm On Nov 10, 2016
post=50935012:

My land lock state is far better than the backward enclave you came from
better? Oh you mean living in a landlock and gully erosion infested region is better than living in an empire...

5 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by jinneyb(m): 10:08pm On Nov 10, 2016
ajokebelle:
The Late Oni would have been the Third or second most powerful king if he were still alive, but this present modern day Oba has reduced some of the respect attached to the Title with his waka about, unnecessary familiarity and programs that are not really necessary, attending ceremonies upandan.

I think the Emir is also second on the list due
to the fact that he was once the governor of CBN, so that added more power to his position.

I won't agree with your assertion as to the Ooni's might. That he goes around attending occasions and visiting people is only normal, and that have not in anyway reduced his powers. And don't forget that aside from him visiting, he's also being visited.

And asper his contributions, if you follow the cyber space very well, you'll know what he has contributed in his very short term on the throne to his immediate community which will in time reflect in the country's economy.

As to the programmes he attends, it depends on the point you view things from, but I assure you, he believes they are not pointless but very helpful.

I don't know maybe you can recollect he also visited the Alaafin, a feat that have not happened in a while. So for every of his visit, there's more to what we can decipher.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by gz87: 10:08pm On Nov 10, 2016
Sultan is the leader of the north and the well over 100million Muslims in Nigeria
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Anambra1stSon(m): 10:16pm On Nov 10, 2016
Mayor101010:
better? Oh you mean living in a landlock and gully erosion infested region is better than living in an empire...

And you don't know that global warming is taking root in your poverty infested region

Biggest Earthquakes Near Ibadan, Oyo, Nigeria
http://earthquaketrack.com/ng-32-ibadan/biggest?page=12

Erosion renders 20 families homeless in Ogun
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/erosion-renders-20-families-homeless-in-ogun/

Edo Communities Submerged in Erosion
http://www.mjemagazine.com/edo-communities-submerged-in-erosion/

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by gregyboy(m): 10:24pm On Nov 10, 2016
the oba of benin is number one you all know thar dont allow setiment of tribalism cloud ur minds in terms of art,influence,strength no wonder the British wanted the great benin kingdom others can follow after then
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Mayor101010(m): 10:27pm On Nov 10, 2016
Eastactivist:
[s][/s]

Guy Edo is nothing to compare to igbo...

Igbo has Kingdom which is the same as empire, only daft people don't know that both words are the same...

Meanwhile Edo as a whole both the lost empire and her people has been reduced to nothing but one state...

You guys are now liabilities that can only be powerful at night wielding brooms and flying around disturbing neighbours.
I'm talking about the Benin dynasty not Edo state and for the record you guys never had anything remotely close to an empire or Kingdom... Go and ask your ''baby cap wearing'' elders...

8 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by ibrahim0118(m): 10:29pm On Nov 10, 2016
alafin of oyo is a powerful king in nigeria

3 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Dilluted(m): 10:30pm On Nov 10, 2016
Godprotectigbos:
cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue :STUPID LIST

OVOKO LIST

ALL KINGS ARE POWERFUL WITHIN THEIR LOCALITY SO DROP THIS TRASH

IN MY AREA I DONT KW WHO IS SULTAN OF SOKOTO
trust me your king knows him very well
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by orimsamsam(m): 10:34pm On Nov 10, 2016
Eastactivist:

You have a shallow thinking...

And how does being a chancellor transcend to being powerful in the region? . Ooni is a nobody but a guest in anywhere in igbo land... He might not be allowed to wear his crown to even enter the east let alone issue a royal or non royal order, is he crazy??

And for the records... Igwe Alfred Achebe, Obi of Onitsha is still the Chancellor of the Ahmadu Bello University
anytime the ooni enter South East and he is with his crown. Go and remove it from is head. Sho gbo

2 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Eastactivist: 10:35pm On Nov 10, 2016
Mayor101010:
I'm talking about the Benin dynasty not Edo state and for the record you guys never had anything remotely close to an empire or Kingdom... Go and ask your ''baby cap wearing'' elders...

You are very immature in history...
I guess you've not heard of nri Kingdom in your life..
Now just do a simple Google research..
Benin empire is no where near nri Kingdom.

Fact is that nri Kingdom predated Benin empire and lasted till the 19th century but Benin empire was simply dissolved by the British in the 18th century.

And another fact is that nri Kingdom controlled more larger territory than the Benin empire territory...

Benin no reach where igbo dey, Igbos are far more ahead of your small group

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by orimsamsam(m): 10:36pm On Nov 10, 2016
gregyboy:
the oba of benin is number one you all know thar dont allow setiment of tribalism cloud ur minds in terms of art,influence,strength no wonder the British wanted the great benin kingdom others can follow after then
and how is he the number one
Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by slurryeye: 10:38pm On Nov 10, 2016
post=50936093:

And you don't know that global warming is taking root in your domain

Biggest Earthquakes Near Ibadan, Oyo, Nigeria
http://earthquaketrack.com/ng-32-ibadan/biggest?page=12

Erosion renders 20 families homeless in Ogun
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/erosion-renders-20-families-homeless-in-ogun/

Edo Communities Submerged in Erosion
http://www.mjemagazine.com/edo-communities-submerged-in-erosion/

In your bid to insult Yoruba, you listed Edo as part of southwest. I'm not surprised, very typical of airheaded Osus

Meanwhile, the top 5 eroded states in Nigeria are 5 Alaigbo states of Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu and Imo. Your situation is so critical that government as to seek the assistance of world Bank

"The severity of environmental degradation prompted the Nigerian government to seek urgent support from the World Bank to tackle the challenge in seven states on a pilot basis: Abia, Anambra, Cross River, Ebonyi, Edo, Enugu and Imo".

http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2013/11/26/combating-erosion-in-nigeria-new-project-spells-hope-in-seven-states

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by scholes0(m): 10:41pm On Nov 10, 2016
Mayor101010:

LOL.... You mean that wool cap they wear?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Alaafin Adeyemi And His New Wife, Chioma (Photo) / LILO OGUN IBILE FUN ITOJU,IWOSAN ATI ASEYORI / Oba Of Benin, Ewuaere, Arrives Abuja In His Rolls Royce And Private Jet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.