Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,767 members, 7,806,112 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:37 AM

Travelling To Accra, Ghana : What Should I Expect. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Accra, Ghana : What Should I Expect. (1473 Views)

How Does Abuja, Nigeria Compare To Accra, Ghana? / Travelling To Russia For The 2018 World Cup Let’s Meet Here / Peace Mass Bus Travelling To Abuja Involved In Fatal Accident,Many Dead(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Travelling To Accra, Ghana : What Should I Expect. by ogunsexy: 5:34pm On Nov 09, 2016
I have plans to travel to Accra, Ghana in the next two weeks via ABC transport. I need any Nairalnder to provide me with helpful and useful Information about :
(1) Getting a good and affordable hotel accommodation (not very far away from Kempinski Hotel);
(2) Exchange rate ;
(3) Cost and mode of transportation as well as cost of living in Accra.;
(4) General caution and etiquette in Accra ;
(5) Social and night life in Accra;
I would be grateful for your help.[b]I have plans to travel to Accra, Ghana in the next two weeks via ABC transport. I need any Nairalnder to provide me with helpful and useful Information about :
(1) Getting a good and affordable hotel accommodation (not very far away from Kempinski Hotel);
(2) Exchange rate ;
(5) Social and night life in Accra.
I would be grateful for your help.
Re: Travelling To Accra, Ghana : What Should I Expect. by bigtt76(f): 6:07pm On Nov 09, 2016
1. Accra is very safe.
2. Nightlife is guaranteed.
3. Lots of Nigerians there both with good and questionable character. Meeting them depends on where you stay or chose to chill out.
4. There are several Nigerian bars where you can get your home delicacies
5. You may enjoy their local food though if you don't mind.
6. Food is relatively cheap but it depends on where you go to eat. They have bars in the class of The Place, Jevniks etc but very expensive.
7. Avoid the use of cars where and when possible. It costs an arm and a leg.
8. Plenty bootilicious babies if that's your game but try not to lose focus or lose guard shaaa.
9. You can't use Nigerian cards here for cash withdrawal
10. Exchange rate is now too bad for the Naira. Used to exchange 1k for 20 cedis before but now it's almost 1k naira to 8 cedis (bottle of coke is like 3.5 cedis)
11. There's constant electricity and water (all dependent on your area tho).
12. Lots of beaches and monuments to visit

Have a lovely stay.

ogunsexy:
I have plans to travel to Accra, Ghana in the next two weeks via ABC transport. I need any Nairalnder to provide me with helpful and useful Information about :
(2) Exchange rate ;
(5) Social and night life in Accra;
I would be grateful for your help.[b]I have plans to travel to Accra, Ghana in the next two weeks via ABC transport. I need any Nairalnder to provide me with helpful and useful Information about :
(2) Exchange rate ;
(5) Social and night life in Accra.
I would be grateful for your help.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Accra, Ghana : What Should I Expect. by ogunsexy: 8:06pm On Nov 09, 2016
bigtt76:
1. Accra is very safe.
3. Lots of Nigerians there both with good and questionable character. Meeting them depends on where you stay or chose to chill out.
6. Food is relatively cheap but it depends on where you go to eat. They have bars in the class of The Place, Jevniks etc but very expensive.
8. Plenty bootilicious babies if that's your game but try not to lose focus or lose guard shaaa.
10. Exchange rate is now too bad for the Naira. Used to exchange 1k for 20 cedis before but now it's almost 1k naira to 8 cedis (bottle of coke is likete 3.5 cedis)

Have a lovely stay.

Many thanks bigtt76.
Do you know about the cost of hotel accommodation around independence square ,Accra stadium ,state house and its environs.

what is/are the best way to get a good value for my exchanged money as plan to get into Accra with mainly USD. Is it a wise idea?
Re: Travelling To Accra, Ghana : What Should I Expect. by Ugosample(m): 8:25pm On Nov 09, 2016
bigtt76:
1. Accra is very safe.
10. Exchange rate is now too bad for the Naira. Used to exchange 1k for 20 cedis before but now it's almost 1k naira to 8 cedis (bottle of coke is like 3.5 cedis)

Have a lovely stay.

1k is now 8 cedis

Damn...
Re: Travelling To Accra, Ghana : What Should I Expect. by Ugosample(m): 8:30pm On Nov 09, 2016
ogunsexy:

Many thanks bigtt76.
Do you know about the cost of hotel accommodation around independence square ,Accra stadium ,state house and its environs.

what is/are the best way to get a good value for my exchanged money as plan to get into Accra with mainly USD. Is it a wise idea?

Hi there

If you have Naira, your best bet is to do your exchange at hillakondji...
But make sure you look at the calculator as they are calculating, as one criminal wanted to cheat me before.

Ghana is a chilling place but it is quite expensive....

And for hotel accommodation, to give you an idea of the prices, use www.jovago.com

Folow the lead and you will see all the hotel options there...

Even if you will not book using them, at least you will have an idea of the hotel price hotel policy and hotel location too and how to get there.

That is what I do when I visit new cities in different countries
Re: Travelling To Accra, Ghana : What Should I Expect. by bigtt76(f): 8:59pm On Nov 09, 2016
I don't particularly know any hotel but the area you mentioned is the central business district and part of the old Accra town. So it is very possible to get not too posh hotels there.

Like someone posted check online. There's one I know back then called Pink Hostel (at Asylum Down) not far from the area mentioned try them.

As for changing money go to Mokola market. This is the major market in Accra. It's close to the area you mentioned but be careful so they don't swerve you grin they got mallams like those at our airports.

Good thing is there are Bureau de Change around and most offer same good rate for USD.

Naira exchange is good at the border - Hila Kodji (Benin - Togo border) where you guys will stop to eat) or at Aflao (Ghana Togo border) be careful here too.

Make sure you go with your fellow passengers or as the bus conductor directs. You can also change at Mokola market but it may not be lucrative.

BTW what are you there for?

ogunsexy:

Many thanks bigtt76.

Re: Travelling To Accra, Ghana : What Should I Expect. by ogunsexy: 9:38pm On Nov 09, 2016
bigtt76:
I don't particularly know any hotel but the area you mentioned is the central business district and part of the old Accra town. So it is very possible to get not too posh hotels there.

Like someone posted check online. There's one I know back then called Pink Hostel (at Asylum Down) not far from the area mentioned try them.

As for changing money go to Mokola market. This is the major market in Accra. It's close to the area you mentioned but be careful so they don't swerve you grin they got mallams like those at our airports.

Good thing is there are Bureau de Change around and most offer same good rate for USD.

Naira exchange is good at the border - Hila Kodji (Benin - Togo border) where you guys will stop to eat) or at Aflao (Ghana Togo border) be careful here too.

Make sure you go with your fellow passengers or as the bus conductor directs. You can also change at Mokola market but it may not be lucrative.

BTW what are you there for?

Hmm...Bigtt76 if you must know, I going there to write an exam and maybe catch some fun before coming home . You seem to know Accra very well; are u based there?
Re: Travelling To Accra, Ghana : What Should I Expect. by bigtt76(f): 10:36pm On Nov 09, 2016
Ooh k. That's nice. Lots of Nigerians do come to sit their exams too. You might be lucky to meet a couple of them on your bus. Feel free to ask.

Yes I stay in Accra but been away for a month. Osu is the entertainment hq and also where most of the expatriates visit.

If you want to be adventurous after the exams, you might want to take a trip to several monuments outside Accra like the Cape Coast castle, Elmina Castle, Kankum National Park amongst others. Just Google them to know more.

All the best in your exams and e joy your stay.

ogunsexy:

Hmm...Bigtt76 if you must know, I going there to write an exam and maybe catch some fun before coming home . You seem to know Accra very well; are u based there?
Re: Travelling To Accra, Ghana : What Should I Expect. by ogunsexy: 4:06pm On Dec 07, 2016
bigtt76:
Ooh k. That's nice. Lots of Nigerians do come to sit their exams too. You might be lucky to meet a couple of them on your bus. Feel free to ask.
Yes I stay in Accra but been away for a month. Osu is the entertainment hq and also where most of the expatriates visit.
If you want to be adventurous after the exams, you might want to take a trip to several monuments outside Accra like the Cape Coast castle, Elmina Castle, Kankum National Park amongst others. Just Google them to know more.
All the best in your exams and e joy your stay.

I just hope and pray you will see this very early. I have sent you PM at multiple times I am not sure you actually saw them. If you are in Accra at the moment , I wish to meet you if you don't mind.
Re: Travelling To Accra, Ghana : What Should I Expect. by bigtt76(f): 7:39pm On Dec 07, 2016
e yaaaa! I may have seen dem but not know if was from you. I just came back last Sunday evening (I had traveled down there upper week Friday before last). How was your exams? Hope you smashed it wink Enjoy your stay and keep out of trouble during this election period. Cheers

ogunsexy:

I just hope and pray you will see this very early. I have sent you PM at multiple times I am not sure you actually saw them. If you are in Accra at the moment , I wish to meet you if you don't mind.
Re: Travelling To Accra, Ghana : What Should I Expect. by ogunsexy: 10:55pm On Dec 07, 2016
The exams was ok but one can't be very sure until the results are out. Many thanks.
Re: Travelling To Accra, Ghana : What Should I Expect. by Xpol: 3:07am On Dec 12, 2016
As at yesterday 11th of December i got 1k=9cedis.Hotel rates depend on the location and quality of the hotel but there are still som around newtown where u can get 30cedis per night.compare to 9ja food in accra is more expensive most start from 5cedis per plate,bus fares from 1cedis,taxi from 5cedis,save environment no fear while moving around at night also u won't see total darkness anywhere
Re: Travelling To Accra, Ghana : What Should I Expect. by nwapee(m): 12:17pm On Dec 12, 2016
Xpol:
As at yesterday 11th of December i got 1k=9cedis.Hotel rates depend on the location and quality of the hotel but there are still som around newtown where u can get 30cedis per night.compare to 9ja food in accra is more expensive most start from 5cedis per plate,bus fares from 1cedis,taxi from 5cedis,save environment no fear while moving around at night also u won't see total darkness anywhere
Re: Travelling To Accra, Ghana : What Should I Expect. by nwapee(m): 8:56am On Dec 18, 2016
Xpol:
xpol, pls i need to contact u urgently. I really need us to talk. I will appreciate it if u can peep me on. I wil cal u once i c ur number

(1) (Reply)

These 5 Airlines Have The Most Attractive Flight Attendants / Namibia: Visa Free For All Africans + Top 5 Activities On My List! / JustWise Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.