Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,237 members, 7,807,792 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:22 PM

Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread (5914 Views)

Ask And Answer Prices Of Every Type Of Car / Automobile Workers Kick Against FG Move To Slash Vehicles Duty To 10% / Checkout 7 Of The World’s Biggest Automobile Fairs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by phibetakappa: 8:51am On Nov 11, 2016
AutoElectNG:

Do you have any codes that might suggest any underlying problems to be resolved before doing what you want to do? such as vacuum leaks.

You have got to tune up the engine first to eliminate a poorly running running engine before going this route you are suggesting - team up with a trusted mechanic to sort that out first, before trying what you are thinking of.
Thanks for your prompt response. I think there is some vacuum leak somewhere.
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by consultancy: 10:58am On Nov 11, 2016
please brethren what could make a car cigarette lighter suddenly start to produce low voltage. low voltage in the sense that when i plug my phone in, it chargers for 10 seconds and stops and starts again and stops and continues like that in a loop. it was charging perfectly well before. i noticed this after i ran into a big pothole and the driver side curtain airbag deployed. a new airbag was fixed, but the airbag light remained displayed on the dashboard. car is acura mdx 2004
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by AutoElectNG: 11:47am On Nov 11, 2016
consultancy:
please brethren what could make a car cigarette lighter suddenly start to produce low voltage. low voltage in the sense that when i plug my phone in, it chargers for 10 seconds and stops and starts again and stops and continues like that in a loop. it was charging perfectly well before. i noticed this after i ran into a big pothole and the driver side curtain airbag deployed. a new airbag was fixed, but the airbag light remained displayed on the dashboard. car is acura mdx 2004

Please kindly post a picture of your dashboard so I can verify some facts before going to offer advice, i want to see the airbag light you are speaking of
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by consultancy: 12:13pm On Nov 11, 2016
AutoElectNG:

Please kindly post a picture of your dashboard so I can verify some facts before going to offer advice, i want to see the airbag light you are speaking of
i am currently away from the car right now, but i hav d dashboard photo on my phone, but i dnt have that of the airbag light
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by AutoElectNG: 12:14pm On Nov 11, 2016
consultancy:
i am currently away from the car right now, but i hav d dashboard photo on my phone, but i dnt have that of the airbag light

is it an SRS light?
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by consultancy: 12:20pm On Nov 11, 2016
AutoElectNG:

is it an SRS light?
these are screenshots i got of the dashboard from a video of my car in my phone. but at the time i made this video, the airbag light had not appeared. so i got another picture from the Internet of the exact airbag light that has now appeared on the dashboard. i hope you understand

Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by consultancy: 12:21pm On Nov 11, 2016
AutoElectNG:

is it an SRS light?
this is the light, i got this photo off the Internet cos in nt with the car right now. but its that light im talking about

Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by AutoElectNG: 12:43pm On Nov 11, 2016
consultancy:
these are screenshots i got of the dashboard from a video of my car in my phone. but at the time i made this video, the airbag light had not appeared. so i got another picture from the Internet of the exact airbag light that has now appeared on the dashboard. i hope you understand

That's an SRS Warning Light.

Was anything else replaced apart from the faulty side curtain airbag?

Or just the side curtain airbag was replaced
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by consultancy: 12:44pm On Nov 11, 2016
AutoElectNG:

That's an SRS Warning Light.

Was anything else replaced apart from the faulty side curtain airbag?

Or just the side curtain airbag was replaced
yes just the airbag, nothing else was replaced
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by AutoElectNG: 1:59pm On Nov 11, 2016
consultancy:
yes just the airbag, nothing else was replaced

That seems to be where the problem comes from.

You need to replace the side curtain airbag + SRS module (new preferred but some people poach it from the scrapyard which is not recommended) + a side impact sensor (new preferred but some people poach it from the scrapyard which is not recommended)

And maybe also programming so the unit can recognize the newly installed modules - I said may because I have not consulted the Service Manual for your vehicle in particular but for vehicles from the same manufacturer, and the procedures differ a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer and vehicle to vehicle.

The reason is that the the SRS module stores crash data every time the airbag deploys - hence the need to either reset it or replace it with new or with a recycled one.

If your module was not damaged, then there are places where it can be reset (to remove the stored crash data) - that will be a lot cheaper than buying brand new.

Next it will be necessary to reset that light.

Assuming that your SRS module is ok and the light still shows, then there is a fix for that.

Try and find someone with the Honda Diagnostic System to run a check on your airbag modules so we can be certain that the SRS module is in order, so we can face the light issue, it can fixed on the cheap without having to go to the dealer. But I don't want liability associated with turning off the light when the SRS module is not ok.

As for the faulty cigarette lighter, we need to check the wiring diagram for vehicle, the associated wiring harness and fuses to make a judgment call!

NOTE: IF YOU OWN A HONDA OR ACURA, BE VERY GENTLE AROUND POTHOLES, SEVERAL MODELS WILL DEFLATE THE AIRBAG JUST BECAUSE OF THAT JOLT WHEN YOU HIT A POTHOLE, UNLESS YOU DON'T MIND THE ADDITIONAL AVOIDABLE EXPENSES

Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by consultancy: 2:11pm On Nov 11, 2016
@AutoElect i must really commend you for takin out time to respond to me. i should say this, the car just went into a pothole at top speed with the driver side tires only, and the airbag came out. no form of damage was done to the car tires, or any parts of the car exterior. so i guess the srs module should still be intact. i already arranged to take it for a scan when i arrive lagos anyway
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by AutoElectNG: 2:26pm On Nov 11, 2016
consultancy:
@AutoElect i must really commend you for takin out time to respond to me. i should say this, the car just went into a pothole at top speed with the driver side tires only, and the airbag came out. no form of damage was done to the car tires, or any parts of the car exterior. so i guess the srs module should still be intact. i already arranged to take it for a scan when i arrive lagos anyway

Your welcome.

Keep me posted.

Particularly interested in a Honda HDS scan results from your ride when you get back to base as to the state of the airbag sub-system
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by consultancy: 2:28pm On Nov 11, 2016
AutoElectNG:

Your welcome.

Keep me posted.

Particularly interested in a Honda HDS scan results from your ride when you get back to base as to the state of the airbag sub-system
ok i will. cheers
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by abussyaya(f): 12:36pm On Nov 13, 2016
Hi Autoelectng,

I ran into a bump today and there after my Car CD player stopped working but the Radio still works. I have also been unable to eject the CD that was playing after I ran into the bump. It's a Honda Accord 2006 model, Single CD, OEM.

It has shown CD Error a few times in the past though.
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by abussyaya(f): 12:39pm On Nov 13, 2016
Hi Autoelectng,

I ran into a bump today and there after my Car CD player stopped working but the Radio still works. I have also been unable to eject the CD that was playing after I ran into the bump. It's a Honda Accord 2006 model, Single CD, OEM.

It has shown CD Error a few times in the past though.[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by AutoElectNG: 5:18pm On Nov 14, 2016
abussyaya:
Hi Autoelectng,

It has shown CD Error a few times in the past though.

CD Player bad = CD Player not ejecting after bump hit
Radio OK

Did the CD Error show before the bump hit or after the bump hit?
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by AutoElectNG: 6:24pm On Nov 14, 2016
abussyaya:
Hi Autoelectng,

It has shown CD Error a few times in the past though.[color=#006600][/color]

While waiting for your response, this problem will require physical inspection to resolve.

But here are some suggestions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwuUo5H-ko8

2. Search for this link at forum (.) edmunds (.) com "How to remove a stuck CD"

3. Search for this link "How to remove a stuck CD from a car player" at wikihow (.) com

4. Refer also to my response here: https://www.nairaland.com/3456276/automobile-electricity-electronics-question-answer#50928460 (and follow the procedure before this line of text: "If either method of rebooting the ECU fails to yield positive results, then you have five options:"wink
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by AutoElectNG: 11:12pm On Nov 15, 2016
DO'S AND DON'TS

If your technician pulls off a plug wire or the coil's high voltage output wire to test for a spark, then sorry to say, he is either a quack or is uneducated as to the damage to the vehicle's sensitive electronic ecosystem he is causing and by extension your pocket!

He could get a serious electrical shock ( as low as 6,000 volts and as high as 12,000 to 40,000 and even 100,000 Volts is required to fire the spark plugs in most applications to jump the air gap of the spark plugs)

If such voltages do are not able to follow their natural path, they will follow unnatural paths, and they will leave a lot of sorrow and destruction in their wake!

He could end up converting your coil into a useless brick

In the end, you pay. He goes Scot-free

How's that for one more reason to pick and educated mechanic, over his uneducated counterpart
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by AutoElectNG: 11:51pm On Nov 16, 2016
Does it make sense to buy a tokunbo ignition coil pack?

Yes and No!

Yes - if it is tested not using battery positive and negative terminals (as is commonly done in local auto markets) but with a DMM to confirm that its resistance matches manufacturer engineering tolerances (professional electricians always refer to wiring diagrams when troubleshooting or doing R&R i.e., Remove and Replace)

No - if it is bought on the false assumption that a tokunbo product is as good as new but with a shorter life span (so no need to test with a DMM but just with a battery's positive and negative terminals, so no need to consult manufacturer specifications as well as TSBs, so long as the physical appearance is identical, then all is good)

I'll elaborate in subsequent posts, and I will also try to explain in some measure of detail in plain language just how important to vehicular operation a well-maintained ignition system is.

Ideally, though, the customer is advised to replace a failed or sub-optimal ignition component with a brand new equivalent for best results
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by Andy790(m): 12:50am On Nov 17, 2016
well done sir....
am really interested in automobile electronics...
I wouldn't mind learning under you.
more like an apprentice or intern.
please give me your contact let's talk thanks
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by arcbaba: 7:32pm On Nov 17, 2016
Hi, I have an issue with my speedometer, It does not work sometimes, I notice it happens more when the car is parked for long under the heat of the sun. sometimes it works for days without any issues, on some days it does not work at all but start working unexpectedly anytime. I really don't know what is wrong.
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by MissJoyJoy: 9:11pm On Nov 17, 2016
Andy790:

well done sir....

please give me your contact let's talk
thanks

ggg
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by AutoElectNG: 9:32pm On Nov 17, 2016
Andy790:

well done sir....

please give me your contact let's talk
thanks

Send me a PM via the nairaland messaging system or drop your email address
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by AutoElectNG: 9:33pm On Nov 17, 2016
arcbaba:
Hi, I have an issue with my speedometer, It does not work sometimes, I notice it happens more when the car is parked for long under the heat of the sun. sometimes it works for days without any issues, on some days it does not work at all but start working unexpectedly anytime. I really don't know what is wrong.

Specifications of the vehicle?
Make
Model
Trim

What work was done before this happened?

Or it just started all of a sudden?
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by arcbaba: 9:57pm On Nov 17, 2016
Well I bought the car recently Nigeria used, just noticed it 3days after buying it. It's a toyota Camry 1999 model pencil light. Spoke to an auto electrician he said it wud be difficult to diagnose since it does not happen all the time.
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by Andy790(m): 2:05pm On Nov 18, 2016
Andrew.jo790@gmail.com
thanks
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by Andy790(m): 2:09pm On Nov 18, 2016
AutoElectNG:

Send me a PM via the nairaland messaging system or drop your email address

Andrew.jo790@gmail.com
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by critic007(m): 4:40pm On Nov 18, 2016
Hello Op
I have issues with my Opel vectra B, 1998 model. The speedometer and RPM just stopped working. Once I tried hitting the dashboard, it worked. Ever since then, its been at 0. What do I do? Thanks
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by AutoElectNG: 4:18pm On Dec 04, 2016
arcbaba:
Well I bought the car recently Nigeria used, just noticed it 3days after buying it. It's a toyota Camry 1999 model pencil light. Spoke to an auto electrician he said it wud be difficult to diagnose since it does not happen all the time.

Sorry for the long period of absence.

Does this video indicate the problem that you are facing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwTd9mOKvsY
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by AutoElectNG: 4:41pm On Dec 04, 2016
arcbaba:

SECOND RESPONSE!

Your speedometer (part of the instrument cluster called combination picture in the diagram I have encouraged you to download and study below) receives input data from a Vehicle Speed Sensor.

This Vehicle Speed Sensor can be found on top of the bell housing ( Wikipedia defines it as the portion of your transmission that covers the flywheel and the torque converter) of your automatic transmission.

Reasons why you have problems with your speedometer include:
1. a failed Vehicle Speed Sensor;
2. bad wiring between the Vehicle Speed Sensor and the Instrument Cluster
3. a bad instrument cluster
4. bad wiring between the Instrument Cluster and the ECM
5. A bad Engine Control Module

The attached picture illustrates how the system works.

Credits for the picture: https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/tLijsFcZx2rhnYyn

To do a good job of tracing the problem will require consulting the manufacturer wiring diagrams and comparing with what currently obtains on your vehicle.

The manufacturer also provides troubleshooting guides so tests can be run to trace the fault that is causing this state of affairs.

I hope this detailed response is of benefit to you.

Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by AutoElectNG: 5:47pm On Dec 04, 2016
critic007:
Hello Op
I have issues with my Opel vectra B, 1998 model. The speedometer and RPM just stopped working. Once I tried hitting the dashboard, it worked. Ever since then, its been at 0. What do I do? Thanks

Does it behave like this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8lOko3NpZs

We need wiring diagrams to do further and detailed diagnostics
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by kedra(m): 6:37pm On Dec 04, 2016
Well done AutoElectNG..pls how do I resolve P1520 error code on a 2002 toyota camry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Price List Of Hyundai Cars / Best Oil To Use On Rav4 / ROADKILL!!! First Story Racing Series In Nigeria. (Updated)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.