Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,779 members, 7,806,158 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:14 PM

Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread (5913 Views)

Ask And Answer Prices Of Every Type Of Car / Automobile Workers Kick Against FG Move To Slash Vehicles Duty To 10% / Checkout 7 Of The World’s Biggest Automobile Fairs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by honmusa(m): 9:11am On Dec 05, 2016
kedra:
Well done AutoElectNG..pls how do I resolve P1520 error code on a 2002 toyota camry
This code indicates stop light malfunction issue. The stop light is not only used for brake light indication but also used for fuel cut engine braking which means that during braking ,the ecu will momentarily issue a command to cut fuel supply .
The issue might be as a result of faulty stop lgiht switch or faulty wiring system right (open or short circuit).
If you are in Lagos and you need competent professional to resolve this for you ,call autologic @08061166316.
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by AutoElectNG: 11:54am On Dec 07, 2016
kedra:
Well done AutoElectNG..pls how do I resolve P1520 error code on a 2002 toyota camry

Your code is P1520.

This code for your vehicle and model stands for - Stop Lamp Switch Signal Malfunction - it is not a generic code, it is a Manufacturer specific code.

This is clearly an electrical problem. The problem signal is used by the vehicle computer to detect if you have depressed the brake pedal. It's second function is to control fuel cutoff which results in the vehicle computer lowering engine speed.

This code is coming up because the vehicle computer is not receiving or detecting the signal.

What could cause these state of affairs?

1.Faulty stop light switch

2. Stop light switch is not properly connected

3. Short in the harness for the stop light switch

There is no difference between what Toyota calls a stop light switch and what some other manufacturers call a brake light switch

This extract sourced from should enlighten you a bit more: https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/brake-light-switch-replacement

Brake Light Switch Replacement Service & Cost

What is the Brake Light Switch all about?

When driving, brake lights notify people behind you that you are slowing down or stopping. If your brake lights do not work, you are at risk for causing accidents.

The brake light switch is connected to the brake pedal of the car. When you step on the brake pedal, the brake lights turn on. If the switch is faulty, the brake lights will not work.

Keep in mind:

Although uncommon, sometimes the electrical wires connected to the switch break. In that case, the mechanic will need to replace the electrical connector.

A brake light switch failure can affect the operation of the shift interlock system and not allow the driver to shift from Park to Drive.

How it's done:

Inspect brake light switch, circuit, and fuses.

Remove and replace the brake light switch if not working.

Replace the fuse if it is blown.

Check operation of the brake lights.

Verify the vehicle can be shifted from Park to Drive.

Our recommendation:

The brake lights and brake switch should be inspected regularly as part of a major service.

What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Brake Light Switch?

Brake lights not working.

Not being able to shift out of Park.

How important is this service?

When you depress the brake pedal, the brake light switch sends a signal to your brake lights, and turns them on. Brake lights are an important safety feature (and a legal necessity), but they rely on the brake light switch to turn them on. Without a functioning brake light switch, there will be no communication between your brake pedal and your brake lights.

Since each manufacturer implements these standard vehicular components differently, a technician will need access to the vehicle wiring diagrams and troubleshooting routine to do a good job of fixing this issue for you. I provided generic instructions, and because those do not come free, it will definitely be at some cost to you.

Are you a handyman? You want to do it yourself or do you need professional help to get it done?

If there is anything that is not clear, feel free to drop a line...
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by AutoElectNG: 3:33pm On Mar 03, 2017
Over the course of the following 7 days, the promise made on at 11.51pm on November 16, 2016 will be fulfilled.

How important to drivability is a well-maintained ignition system?

What a vehicle owner needs to know about ignition systems?

In the meantime, if you have any questions on automobile Electricity and Electronics, feel free to post and be assured you will receive a response as soon as possible
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by AutoElectNG: 6:06am On Mar 04, 2017
Andy790:

well done sir....

am really interested in automobile electronics...

I wouldn't mind learning under you.

more like an apprentice or intern.

please give me your contact let's talk
thanks

I have resumed teaching - online and offline.

I go two threads on Nairaland at the moment, this one and another on OBD II!

One more thread is coming - Won't tell, just follow me and you'll know what that thread will treat!!

When I get to open it!!!
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by tppzzy01(m): 7:56am On Mar 04, 2017
Pls my dashboard, dim n packing lights are not working. Pls how do I fix it. Thanks
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by Andy790(m): 7:34pm On Mar 05, 2017
AutoElectNG:

I have resumed teaching - online and offline.

I go two threads on Nairaland at the moment, this one and another on OBD II!

One more thread is coming - Won't tell, just follow me and you'll know what that thread will treat!!

When I get to open it!!!

What kind of teacher are you

Where is your workshop
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by AutoElectNG: 4:44am On Mar 06, 2017
Andy790:

What kind of teacher are you

Where is your workshop

Sometimes we disappear to reappear bigger and better.

I said watch the page. You will appreciate why and how!

You will get answers to your questions if you just watch the page
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by AutoElectNG: 4:46am On Mar 06, 2017
tppzzy01:
Pls my dashboard, dim n packing lights are not working. Pls how do I fix it. Thanks

Please kindly provide more details so we can zero in on the vehicle brand/make, model and trim

And a little history would not hurt

Has it always been this way? Or did something lead to it? Any work done? Any incident or accident?

Sure you get the gist now
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by AutoElectNG: 1:51am On Jun 24, 2018
Andy790:

well done sir....

am really interested in automobile electronics...

I wouldn't mind learning under you.

more like an apprentice or intern.

please give me your contact let's talk
thanks
Where are you based? Lagos? Abuja?
Re: Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread by AutoElectNG: 9:17am On Jun 29, 2018
I saw a very nice flow chart that explains the difference in the mindset of a mechanic and automotive technician( a cross between mechanic and electrician)

Hook up battery tester. If fail, replace battery. That is if he even has a battery tester

Car starts? Done.

Battery test passes? Battery could still be bad, so replace battery.

Car starts? Done.

Car doesn't start? Send it to the good auto electric guy to test out the alternator and diagnose other problems (and on to the next oil change).

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Anti Pollution Fault On 307 2004 Model HELP!!! / Best Oil To Use On Rav4 / Part Suppliers : "The Greatest Night Mare In The Automobile Repair Industry"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.