Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,819 members, 7,806,305 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:27 PM

Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. (40046 Views)

Soyinka: "I Will Hold Private Funeral On Trump’s Inauguration Day" / Video: Soyinka, "I Will Tear My Green Card On January 20, 2017" / Wole Soyinka: "I Will Tear My Green Card If Donald Trump Wins" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by themonk(m): 10:22pm On Nov 09, 2016
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/11/will-not-destroy-u-s-residency-permit-just-yet-soyinka/

By Michael Eboh with Agency Report
Abuja -‎ Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, Wednesday, stated that he will not destroy his United States’ residency permit just yet; while he warned that the victory of Donald Trump in the U.S. presidential race could jeopardize U.S. support in Nigeria’s fight against Boko Haram.

In an interview with Newsweek, Soyinka stated that Trump’s ‘bunker mentality’ could see the U.S. withdraw support for counter-terrorism operations in West Africa.

Following the announcement of Trump’s victory, Nigerians took to social media to question Soyinka about whether he would honour his pledge.

In response, the report quoted Soyinka as saying that he is biding his time until Trump is inaugurated in January before deciding on his next steps.

“Why don’t we wait until Trump actually takes office? I am just going about my normal commitments, but definitely not getting into any more commitments. Let’s put it that way for now,” he said.

According to the report, under the administration of Barack Obama, the U.S. has provided financial support and military training to West African countries fighting Boko Haram.

The U.S., it said, provided $71 million worth of equipment, logistics and training to five countries—Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad, Niger, and Benin—that together formed a joint task force in 2015 to fight the militants, according to a February fact sheet from the U.S. State Department.

Obama also approved the deployment of up to 300 U.S. military personnel to Cameroon in October 2015 to carry out intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance operations in the region.

“One should expect that level of collaboration to diminish. Trump’s mentality is one of, ‘What are we doing there? What business do we have over there?’” Soyinka stated.

“I foresee Trump dismissing that kind of expectation offhand and closing in, shrinking, becoming smaller in terms of the U.S.’s presence in other parts of the world,” he added.

The report said Soyinka is based between Nigeria and the U.S., where he is affiliated to several universities.

Excerpt of the interview with Newsweek

The victory of Donald Trump in the U.S. presidential race could jeopardize U.S. support in Nigeria’s fight against Boko Haram, according to Nigerian Nobel Prize winner Wole Soyinka.

In an exclusive interview, Soyinka tells Newsweek that Trump’s “bunker mentality” could see the U.S. withdraw support for counter-terrorism operations in West Africa.

The Nigerian author and playwright also says that he will not destroy his U.S. residency permit just yet, despite a pre-election pledge to “cut” his green card, which is afforded to immigrants granted permanent residence in the country.
Nigerian Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka takes part in a debate in Berlin, Germany, July 3, 2012. Soyinka pledged to cut up his green card if Donald Trump was elected U.S. president.ANDREAS RENTZ/GETTY IMAGES FOR GREY GOOSE

Trump, the Republican party candidate, shocked pollsters by defeating Democratic rival Hillary Clinton in Tuesday’s vote. The businessman and former reality television star secured victories in key swing states, capitalizing on an anti-establishment feeling among voters to win out against his more experienced rival.

Boko Haram, an Islamist militant group, launched an armed insurgency against the Nigerian government in 2009, killing thousands and displacing more than 2 million since then.

The group also pledged allegiance to the Islamic State militant group (ISIS) in 2015, though it has recently split into factions following the appointment in August of an ISIS-approved leader.

Under the administration of Barack Obama, the U.S. has provided financial support and military training to West African countries fighting Boko Haram.

The U.S. provided $71 million worth of equipment, logistics and training to five countries—Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad, Niger, and Benin—that together formed a joint task force in 2015 to fight the militants, according to a February fact sheet from the U.S. State Department.

Obama also approved the deployment of up to 300 U.S. military personnel to Cameroon in October 2015 to carry out intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance operations in the region.

“One should expect that level of collaboration to diminish. Trump’s mentality is one of, ‘What are we doing there? What business do we have over there?’” says Soyinka, speaking to Newsweek from New York.

“I foresee Trump dismissing that kind of expectation offhand and closing in, shrinking, becoming smaller in terms of [the U.S.’s] presence in other parts of the world,” he says.

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari extended his congratulations to Trump on Wednesday, saying that he looked forward to working with the president-elect “to build on and strengthen relations between Nigeria and the U.S.”

Trump had little to say about U.S. foreign policy towards Africa in general and Nigeria specifically during his presidential campaign.

While he has vowed to pursue ISIS in Syria and Iraq, the Republican has made no mention of whether he intends to persist with or discontinue the country’s support for counter-terrorism efforts in West Africa. Newsweek contacted the Trump campaign for further comment but received no immediate reply.

An analysis by South Africa-based thinktank the Institute for Security Studies (ISS) suggested that Trump could become “the single most effective recruiting tool for terrorist organizations across the globe,” including in Africa.

The ISS cited Trump’s hardline rhetoric towards Muslims, his advocation of the use of torture and expressed desire to target the families of militants all as potential factors in Trump being used by militant groups in recruitment drives.

Trump’s campaign pledge to temporarily ban Muslims from entering the U.S. has already been used in a propaganda video by Al-Shabab, a Somali militant group aligned with Al-Qaeda.

Soyinka is based between Nigeria and the U.S., where he is affiliated to several universities. In a recent discussion with students at the University of Oxford in the U.K., which was shared in a video on October 27, the author vowed to destroy his green card should Trump be declared the winner of the election.

Following the announcement of Trump’s victory on Wednesday, Nigerians took to social media to question Soyinka about whether he would honor his pledge.

The Nigerian author—who was the first African to win the Nobel Prize in literature in 1986—says he is biding his time until Trump is inaugurated in January before deciding on his next steps.

“Why don’t we wait until Trump actually takes office?” says Soyinka. “I’m just going about my normal commitments, but definitely not getting into any more commitments. Let’s put it that way for now.”

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by sainty2k3(m): 10:29pm On Nov 09, 2016
Everyone knows he can't do that, he no fit at all. It was just a case of wrong prediction .

32 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by GBTYO: 10:31pm On Nov 09, 2016
Try am and see real change for your body

Foolish old men

115 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by BjDreamchaser(m): 6:08am On Nov 10, 2016
GBTYO:

Try am and see real change for your body

Foolish old men

38 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by wayaa007(m): 6:17am On Nov 10, 2016
Hahaha!!!!
Wole o, all this many grammar because person nor wan tear card.
I can imagine wole was stammering and sweating while trying to explain himself.
A man is a man only when he stands by his words.

125 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by Firefire(m): 6:29am On Nov 10, 2016
Prof. wetin concern Boko haram support and the tearing of your green card?

I beg, be an honorable man, do the needful.

Thanks in advance.

165 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by onnenka: 6:29am On Nov 10, 2016
Afonja just tear your green card and return home to enjoy the Buhari you voted.

171 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by eleojo23: 6:42am On Nov 10, 2016
undecided

65 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by TroubleMaker47(m): 6:43am On Nov 10, 2016
I knew it!
Thats thier trademark.

Afonjas and double mouth! undecided

186 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by sisisioge: 6:43am On Nov 10, 2016
Wisdom...he didn't read all those books just to be silly nau.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by Brizzy404: 6:44am On Nov 10, 2016
grin baba leave question wey dem ask am d talk another tin...... U be defense minister?

Donald Trump has won.... Keep to ur promise and tear the tin...... What has boko haram got to do with that

53 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by Donmams(m): 6:44am On Nov 10, 2016
Tactical Withdrawal grin

35 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by jeeqaa7(m): 6:44am On Nov 10, 2016
my broda ... nor try am oh .... u nor go just lie like that go scot free... ofe mmanu na mmeyeli

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by TINALETC3(f): 6:44am On Nov 10, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Brilliance9000:
Afonjas and running their mouth like tap. They can never stand for something!

42 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by OKorowanta: 6:45am On Nov 10, 2016
Wole and Wale no difference

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by Danpotter(m): 6:45am On Nov 10, 2016
Yoloba coward

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by Nobody: 6:45am On Nov 10, 2016
Iffahear say he tear e green card, I go n@ked baff for bathroom grin grin grin

12 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by israelboy1(m): 6:45am On Nov 10, 2016
Read my words....before judginging me

as
woman is different from WOOLMAN
So is I will different from EYE WILL

Una no still understand?

8 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by VickyRotex(f): 6:46am On Nov 10, 2016
Danpotter:
Yoloba coward

Borrow sense na. If you can't afford one! angry

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by MzMercie: 6:48am On Nov 10, 2016
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by smogup: 6:48am On Nov 10, 2016
Afonja

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by kollynxofodile(m): 6:48am On Nov 10, 2016
Aahhhh

Afanjatus

As in professor in afonjaism

Beliv any Yoruba man in your own peril.

Be it ir best friend.

Does guys have no goal post, they only pitch their tent with the highest bidder.

Unfortunately, they cloud their stupidity with a nickname. " SUFFERSTICATION"

How untrustworthy can a tribe be?

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by Jfisayo: 6:48am On Nov 10, 2016
MIGHTY ICT SOLUTIONS
New Price List
AIRTEL
1.5GIG --- #900 3.5GIG --- #1800 5.0GIG --- #2500 7.0GIG --- #3500
MTN
5.0GIG --- #2800 4.0GIG --- #2400 3.0GIG --- #1800 2.0GIG --- #1200 1.0GIG --- #600
ETISALAT
5.0GIG --- #3300 4.0GIG --- #2700 3.0GIG --- #2000 2.0GIG --- #1400 1.0GIG --- #700 0.5GIG --- #450
GLO
48GIG --- #7400 24GIG --- #4800 18GIG --- #3800 10GIG --- #2500 7.5GIG--- #2000 3.2GIG--- #900
☎ 0810 414 7428, OR 0813 437 5961
*WhatsApp *or call me
Bbm794E944E
Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by wemmieslim(f): 6:49am On Nov 10, 2016
Lols, I laff is Swahili, Professor that is very wise, tear Green card kwa, iffa hear.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by Nellybank(m): 6:49am On Nov 10, 2016
Oga LIEnus... At your age?

23 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by Mintayo(m): 6:49am On Nov 10, 2016
I hope he is not thinking that Trump will not be inaugurated come January. lipsrsealed

21 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by Ask4Info: 6:49am On Nov 10, 2016
A WISE MAN ONCE SAID NEVER PROMISE WHILE YOU ARE HAPPY OR SWEAR WHILE YOU ARE UPSET"

WE LIVE IN A DIGITAL WORLD. ONCE YOU TYPE, PICTURED OR VIDEO SAYING SOMETHING AND IT GOES ONLINE, YOU CAN NEVER NEVER RETRIEVE IT.

SEE HOW TRUMP AND HILLARY'S CRIMES CAME BACK TO HUNT THEM. SEE HOW TB JOSHUA'S PREDICTION REDICULED HIM AND AWHOLE LOT MORE.

WE SHOULDN'T ALWAYS BE TOO FAST TO MAKE USE OF OUR KEYBOARDS AND CAMERAS BECAUSE OF OUR IMMEDIATE MOOD. THERE ARE MORE CONSEQUENCES THAN WE CAN IMAGINE.

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by themonk(m): 6:50am On Nov 10, 2016
I am igbo and I respect soyinka so much.
I don't think he is a coward, and what he said was for a reason. Let's respect him my igbo bothers. He always fights for the truth.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka: I Will Not Destroy My US Residential Permit Just Yet. by Kingbuhari(m): 6:51am On Nov 10, 2016
useless Foolish old man... Nigerians have known Yoruba's
shiftiness and two sided loud-
mouthing.... this AFONJA professor is nothing but a disgrace to the Nobel laureate bestowed on him by international community... TUFIAKWA

31 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Naughty By Choice (18+) / Taboo [18+] / Wole Soyinka: "I Will Tear My Green Card If Donald Trump Wins"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.