Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,780 members, 7,802,411 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:57 PM

What Is The Point Of Living If We Are Just Going To Die ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Point Of Living If We Are Just Going To Die ? (1124 Views)

Bishop Oyedepo Speaks On Succession Of Living Faith Church / Paul Okikijesu 2020 Prophecy: Adeboye, Kumuyi, Oyedepo To Die & Not Make Heaven / Meet Juda Author, Ex-Armed Robber Turned Pastor Was Sentenced To Die By Hanging (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Point Of Living If We Are Just Going To Die ? by finally1(m): 1:46am On Nov 10, 2016
I can't
seem to find the motivation to try anymore. I
think of it like this: Even if I make it in life
make a ton of life-long friends, meet an
amazing girl and fall madly in love, start a
family, get a career I enjoy, buy a nice house,
and die happily and peacefully at an old age,
what's the point?
What difference does it really make whether I
live the rest of my life completely happy or
completely miserable? I'm going to die one
day and none of this will be of any
significance. I don't believe in god or an
afterlife, so I don't have that to look forward
to. So tell me, why should we fight for a
better future when the final outcome is the
same, regardless of how we live our lives?

seun i need your answer on this
Re: What Is The Point Of Living If We Are Just Going To Die ? by otipoju(m): 2:59am On Nov 10, 2016
i am at exactly where you are right now. Things are going extremely well for me,even better than i envisaged when i left Nigeria but i am not just interested in all of it.
Re: What Is The Point Of Living If We Are Just Going To Die ? by Nobody: 3:27am On Nov 10, 2016
That is wisdom.

Everything about this world is vain. The repetitiveness of the vanity is even more annoying.

I can imagine how much more for an atheist who after serving hard time in this vain existence, cannot see any light at the end of the tunnel grin

You are not suicidal, I hope undecided ( This could be a cry for help, and am here confirming your hopeless existence,)

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Point Of Living If We Are Just Going To Die ? by finally1(m): 6:26am On Nov 10, 2016
Muafrika2:
That is wisdom.

Everything about this world is vain. The repetitiveness of the vanity is even more annoying.

I can imagine how much more for an atheist who after serving hard time in this vain existence, cannot see any light at the end of the tunnel grin

You are not suicidal, I hope undecided ( This could be a cry for help, and am here confirming your hopeless existence,)

nope not at all...i m not

1 Like

Re: What Is The Point Of Living If We Are Just Going To Die ? by Nobody: 7:15am On Nov 10, 2016
finally1:
I can't
what's the point?

I think what you need is new purpose, the material things in life aren't all that matters, you can make the world more meaningful for those around you, those who would otherwise not have a chance, there are a lot of things you can do to better the world before you die.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Point Of Living If We Are Just Going To Die ? by Wilgrea7(m): 7:49am On Nov 10, 2016
OP .. Your question is funny.. but i will answer it.. well some religious people will say its because of your final destination.. either heaven or hell. i believe you're an atheist.. so it won't apply to you unless you believe in reward and punishment after death.. but as for me, even if heaven and hell didn't exist, and i just cease to exist after i die, i would still choose to live and do good and show love...
permit me to finally answer your question with a question

why do you bathe if your body will still get dirty again?
why do you eat if you will still get hungry again?
why do you wash your clothes if they will still get dirty again?
why do you drink water if you will still get thirsty again

the simple answer is that.... it's worth it.
there are so many good things in this life... if you can't find one, then create one.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Point Of Living If We Are Just Going To Die ? by Wilgrea7(m): 7:50am On Nov 10, 2016
Lennycool:

I think what you need is knew purpose, the material things in life aren't all that matters, you can make the world more meaningful for those around you, those who would otherwise not have a chance, there are a lot of things you can do to better the world before you die.

well said

1 Like

Re: What Is The Point Of Living If We Are Just Going To Die ? by shadeyinka(m): 7:58am On Nov 10, 2016
Wilgrea7:
OP .. Your question is funny.. but i will answer it.. well some religious people will say its because of your final destination.. either heaven or hell. i believe you're an atheist.. so it won't apply to you unless you believe in reward and punishment after death.. but as for me, even if heaven and hell didn't exist, and i just cease to exist after i die, i would still choose to live and do good and show love...
permit me to finally answer your question with a question

why do you bathe if your body will still get dirty again?
why do you eat if you will still get hungry again?
why do you wash your clothes if they will still get dirty again?
why do you drink water if you will still get thirsty again

the simple answer is that.... it's worth it.
there are so many good things in this life... if you can't find one, then create one.

Check the bolded:
The true answer is that there is something we gain from all these activities from acceptance to well being to pleasure to relief from discomfort.

Its the law of life we do things because they give us (even if it is an iota) of pleasure.

Life is Meaningless if there is no Hope!

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Point Of Living If We Are Just Going To Die ? by Wilgrea7(m): 8:05am On Nov 10, 2016
shadeyinka:

Check the bolded:
The true answer is that their is something we gain from all these activities from acceptance to well being to pleasure to relief from discomfort.

Its the law of life we do things because they give us (even if it is an iota) of pleasure.

Life is Meaningless if there is no Hope!

true.. Like i said(if u read the last part of my post) ,, ITS WORTH IT
Re: What Is The Point Of Living If We Are Just Going To Die ? by Weah96: 11:57am On Nov 10, 2016
finally1:
I can't
what's the point?

I've felt like this since the age of 9. You get used to it. The worst part is when people tell me about a recent death, I tell them that the deceased is lucky to be dead already. Life is like a PHD program and death is the Thesis you write at the end. You cannot graduate without completing your thesis, so if someone dies, to me he has finished his 2200 page thesis, leaving me to write mine.

The fun is in finding something you like to do, someone you love. That's why we have kids. By the time you're done fooling around with them, it will be time to go.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Point Of Living If We Are Just Going To Die ? by hahn(m): 12:14pm On Nov 10, 2016
finally1:
I can't
what's the point?

I would say that death is what makes it all worth it. Everything will come to an end some day but we can gain immortality through our works.

I have also come to realize there is little pleasure to gain from satisfying one's self. There is a lot more to gain from helping people and putting smiles on the faces of others. This is the major reason why the concept of an afterlife filled with earthly goodies does not appeal to me because it is a selfish ideology.

Our time here on earth is limited. My advice is to make the best of it and achieve as much as one can. Live like every day will be your life and be passionate about every endeavor.

My 1kobo

smiley

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Point Of Living If We Are Just Going To Die ? by Vince77(m): 12:29pm On Nov 10, 2016
hahn:

I would say that death is what makes it all worth it. Everything will come to an end some day but we can gain immortality through our works.

I have also come to realize there is little pleasure to gain from satisfying one's self. There is a lot more to gain from helping people and putting smiles on the faces of others. This is the major reason why the concept of an afterlife filled with earthly goodies does not appeal to me because it is a selfish ideology.

Our time here on earth is limited. My advice is to make the best of it and achieve as much as one can. Live like every day will be your life and be passionate about every endeavor.

My 1kobo

smiley

This one pass 1kobo o!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Point Of Living If We Are Just Going To Die ? by Seun(m): 3:38pm On Nov 10, 2016
finally1:
I can't seem to find the motivation to try anymore. I think of it like this: Even if I make it in life
make a ton of life-long friends, meet an amazing girl and fall madly in love, start a family, get a career I enjoy, buy a nice house, and die happily and peacefully at an old age, what's the point? What difference does it really make whether I live the rest of my life completely happy or completely miserable?
I think you're feeling depressed and I empathize with that, but technically, this is a stupid question. Being happy is an obviously worthy goal in life. It is a high purpose. The only higher purpose than a happy life is helping other people to have happy lives after you've gotten yours. Everything that matters is linked to human happiness in one way or the other. One of my problems with religion is that it asks people to sacrifice their real happiness and the real happiness of other people for the sake of an imaginary paradise. You read about people staying in abusive marriages for their entire lives because "God hates divorce", and you want to cry because you know they'll get no reward for it.

I'm going to die one day and none of this will be of any significance. I don't believe in god or an afterlife, so I don't have that to look forward to. So tell me, why should we fight for a better future when the final outcome is the same, regardless of how we live our lives?
While you're alive, being happy is significant to you. Helping others to be happy is significant to them, and also significant to you because it makes you happier. The idea that things must last forever in order to be significant probably comes from religion, and it's utterly wrong.

We can try to build things that live beyond us, of course. For most people, this is their children and grandchildren. For Charles Dawkins, it was the theory of evolution. For Albert Einstein, the theory of relativity. For Alfred Nobel, the Nobel prize. For Steve Jobs, Apple. For George Orwell, his brilliant literary works. For outspoken atheists, a world in which more people are free from religion. But nothing lasts forever. Eventually, for almost all of us, every evidence of our existence will be wiped out. But we won't be around to feel bad about it. It won't matter to anyone.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Point Of Living If We Are Just Going To Die ? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Nov 10, 2016
Life has no intrinsic meaning, we can only make meaning for our lives and possibly along the way for others.

We gat to grab life by her pussy

1 Like

Re: What Is The Point Of Living If We Are Just Going To Die ? by Viking007(m): 3:47pm On Nov 10, 2016
Weah96:

I've felt like this since the age of 9. You get used to it. The worst part is when people tell me about a recent death, I tell them that the deceased is lucky to be dead already. Life is like a PHD program and death is the Thesis you write at the end. You cannot graduate without completing your thesis, so if someone dies, to me he has finished his 2200 page thesis, leaving me to write mine.

The fun is in finding something you like to do, someone you love. That's why we have kids. By the time you're done fooling around with them, it will be time to go.

Re: What Is The Point Of Living If We Are Just Going To Die ? by Wilgrea7(m): 4:02pm On Nov 10, 2016
Seun:

I think you're feeling depressed and I empathize with that, but technically, this is a stupid question. Being happy is an obviously worthy goal in life. It is a high purpose. The only higher purpose than a happy life is helping other people to have happy lives after you've gotten yours. Everything that matters is linked to human happiness in one way or the other. One of my problems with religion is that it asks people to sacrifice their real happiness and the real happiness of other people for the sake of an imaginary paradise. You read about people staying in abusive marriages for their entire lives because "God hates divorce", and you want to cry because you know they'll get no reward for it.

While you're alive, being happy is significant to you. Helping others to be happy is significant to them, and also significant to you because it makes you happier. The idea that things must last forever in order to be significant probably comes from religion, and it's utterly wrong.

We can try to build things that live beyond us, of course. For most people, this is their children and grandchildren. For Charles Dawkins, it was the theory of evolution. For Albert Einstein, the theory of relativity. For Alfred Nobel, the Nobel prize. For Steve Jobs, Apple. For George Orwell, his brilliant literary works. For outspoken atheists, a world in which more people are free from religion. But nothing lasts forever. Eventually, for almost all of us, every evidence of our existence will be wiped out. But we won't be around to feel bad about it. It won't matter to anyone.

you made very fine points there... despite our differences in religion, BRAVO!!
making others happy makes you happy.. it gives an inner joy that lasts longer
Re: What Is The Point Of Living If We Are Just Going To Die ? by honourhim: 4:38pm On Nov 10, 2016
[right][/right]

Seun:

Quite ironical to see Seun who opened a sticky thread here telling us to tolerate one another coming here to blame the bible and God for telling husband and wife to tolerate one another. That's hypocrisy.
Seun said Biafrans should tolerate other tribes and continue to stay in the forced unity called Nigeria. That's hypocrisy..

Jesus preached love, kindness, tolerance and helping the poor so what is wrong about it? What is wrong about the fruits of the spirit that we are asked to bear in 1 Corinthians 5:19.? Does these traits not promote happiness amongst humans? Why are you talking as if christianity doesn't offer any good,? You can continue to deceive yourself that life ends here. At the end of the day you will discover that you have fooled yourself.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Point Of Living If We Are Just Going To Die ? by finalboss1(m): 1:04am On Nov 11, 2016
Seun:

wow thanks for this...
Re: What Is The Point Of Living If We Are Just Going To Die ? by finalboss1(m): 1:04am On Nov 11, 2016
we still hv sensible people on Nairaland... wow
Re: What Is The Point Of Living If We Are Just Going To Die ? by finalboss1(m): 1:05am On Nov 11, 2016
lalasticlala pls comman put mouth

(1) (Reply)

Is This What Jesus Really Looked Like? / Christians: Have Men Really Given Back To You? / Festival 28th March 2018 - Ogheghe, Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria [videos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.