Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,699 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:36 PM

Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert (26437 Views)

Shadows Of The Green / Jimmy Carter Got Me My Green Card, I Never Applied For It-soyinka / Wole Soyinka: "I Will Tear My Green Card If Donald Trump Wins" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by dre11(m): 7:31pm On Nov 10, 2016
"Soyinka risks jail term of three to seven years if he cuts green card"-Legal expert

A legal luminary, Mr Kayode Ajulo, has cautioned Nigerian Nobel Literature Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, against carrying his threat to destroy his American Green Card in protest of Donald Trump’s victory at the U.S. Presidential election.
Ajulo gave the advice on Thursday in Abuja.

It was reported that Soyinka issued the threat to destroy his American Citizen’s Card before voting begun in the keenly contested election between Trump and Hillary Clinton.

Most people around the World, including some huge population of Americans, had wished for the Democratic Party’s candidate to win the race to the White House.

The election of the Republic candidate as the U.S. President-elect had sent some waves of shock to most countries.

Reacting to the threat, Ajulo warned Soyinka that he risked a jail term of three to seven years, if he (Soyinka) cut his green card.

“I have no problem with Kogi; he is an opinion moulder, an elder statesman and nation builder, who should know the implication of such act.

“Under the American law losing or having your U.S. green card destroyed can be a serious problem,’’ he said.

He said legally such is tagged as wishful destruction of government’s property.

Ajulo said the truth is that Soyinka is far better and far bigger than that because such act is provocative and unacceptable.

He stressed that the literary icon is free to leave the country but does not have to tear the card; instead he should return the card as required by the law.

Ajulo said the 82-year-old author, who is currently a resident scholar at New York University’s Institute of African American Affairs, should know better.

He said it has a lot of implications for Nigerians.
Ajulo said green cards or passports are valuable documents and should be looked after it with care.

He said mishandling of passport could stop you from travelling not to talk of destroying green card.

Ajulo described Soyinka as a good ambassador who cares not just about Nigeria but the world at large, advising him to keep to it.

He said Trump’s victory had “brought an already teetering world closer to the precipice.

“Trump’s wall is already under construction. Walls are built in the mind, and Trump has erected walls, not only across the mental landscape of America, but across the global landscape,” said the lawyer.

Soyinka pledged to keep a promise he had given a few days before the Nov. 8 election, when he told students at Oxford University that “I will cut my green card myself and start packing up” if Trump won the polls.

The literary icon also vowed to leave the United States by Jan. 20, 2017, the day president-elect Donald Trump will be inaugurated.

The green card is the U.S. permanent residence permit. (NAN)

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/-soyinka-risks-jail-term-of-three-to-seven-years-if-he-cuts-green-card-legal-expert/171128.html

1 Share

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by ijustdey: 8:11pm On Nov 10, 2016
am sure he knows the consequences of any actions he takes on the green card.....

am sure those that dare him doesn't know the implications of what he was saying at the moment of anger and range because of Donald Trump election

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by AGUBANZE(m): 8:16pm On Nov 10, 2016
We Africans just carry Trump matter for head like say America na our backyard. I dnt think its like this at Russia or the far Eastern Europe

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by amuijiji: 8:46pm On Nov 10, 2016
Them no dey tell deaf man say war don start..

Being a learned fellow, he should be aware but being that prison dey hungry am, encourage am...

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by Sharafawizkidayo(m): 11:53pm On Nov 10, 2016
Prof. wole soyinka, pls i beg of u, dont tear ur green card, we know that u dont like this donald trump, but trust me, even i dont like him either, bt they is nting anybody can do abt it

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by ijustdey: 10:19am On Nov 11, 2016
cc lalasticlala.......
Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by TINALETC3(f): 2:34pm On Nov 11, 2016
Meanwhile

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by Katyusha(m): 2:34pm On Nov 11, 2016
Shakara don end.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by Ouwanisola: 2:34pm On Nov 11, 2016
Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by MinorityTribe1: 2:35pm On Nov 11, 2016
Did he pay this so called Legal expert for this? My friend sharapp and let him tear his green card. Nobody will arrest him.

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by Nobody: 2:35pm On Nov 11, 2016
Kogi or Kongi or Konji undecided

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by Nobody: 2:35pm On Nov 11, 2016
That's the biggest lie in the world

You can destroy your green card Infront of the white House with all the American police watching and they will never ask you a question or arrest you

You can burn the American flag in front of the police and nothing will happen

This is part of the 5th amendment

If someone is brave enough to bet 3 million naira, i will video myself during my green card

That lawyer should be striped of his practice licence and be deported to Borno state

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by ShitHead(m): 2:35pm On Nov 11, 2016
He can kukuma go jail go rest. He need am.

6 Likes

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by Godprotectigbos(f): 2:36pm On Nov 11, 2016
make UNA LEAVE HIM make him tear am nahhh.....

HE THINKS US NA LAGOS WERE DEY DEY MISBEHAVE

after voting for apc without achieving ANYTHING he left Nigeria to another man country to dictate to dem who to vote for

let him tear it like his brother obansanjo ...IS THERE TRADE MARK

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by Amabeast: 2:36pm On Nov 11, 2016
tongue

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by Ozorc: 2:37pm On Nov 11, 2016
Soyinka pls destroy your green card and end your retirement in Newyork prison....

7 Likes

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by MinorityTribe1: 2:37pm On Nov 11, 2016
AGUBANZE:
We Africans just carry Trump matter for head like say America na our backyard. I dnt think its like this at Russia or the far Eastern Europe
For people like Soyinka America is their backyard. I can understand why you wouldn't carry Trump for head. When elders are talking keep quiet.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by jeeqaa7(m): 2:37pm On Nov 11, 2016
Mr Legal Expert .. Na your own be that ...
my own be say ... him nor go use 150+ million people take catch trips .. Egbon if you nor tear am .. I go tear am oh
Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by DifferentBoy1(m): 2:38pm On Nov 11, 2016
Cover up jorh.
Didn't he know before making such utterances?

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by Smellymouth: 2:38pm On Nov 11, 2016
Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by SlimBrawnie(f): 2:39pm On Nov 11, 2016
He should have known better before spewing.
Woke Soyinka, I challenge you to be a man of your words no matter the consequences!

Meanwhile....

8 Likes

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by millionboi(m): 2:39pm On Nov 11, 2016
wat is he still waiting for

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by Oyiboman69: 2:39pm On Nov 11, 2016
Fowl leave native doctor wen put knife for im throat go dey use corner eye look knife...come and solve the problem for your forsaken country first.

7 Likes

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by aboki2000(m): 2:41pm On Nov 11, 2016
This Afonja man wan use Donald Trump to updates his name online

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by Gkemz: 2:42pm On Nov 11, 2016
Let him do as he promised to do if Clinton concede. He's a coward.

4 Likes

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by Diadala(m): 2:42pm On Nov 11, 2016
That's why we need to be careful of of actions and words

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by SweetJoystick(m): 2:43pm On Nov 11, 2016
Make he tear am first

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by Nobody: 2:43pm On Nov 11, 2016
If na like this una dey carry Naija matters for head Naija for great pass America gan

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by ephi123(f): 2:43pm On Nov 11, 2016
Diadala:
That's why we need to be careful of of actions and words

Exactly. Well said.

See wetin Donald Trump don cause cheesy

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert by shaddoww: 2:44pm On Nov 11, 2016
Isn't that why he ate his word?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Critical Background Of Lonely Days By Bayo Adebowale / Relic / Role Play: Reloaded

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.