Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,072 members, 7,807,211 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:09 AM

Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? (3814 Views)

My Experience With The God Of No Impossibities / Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? / "ONLINE DELIVERANCE WITH THE GOD OF ELIJAH"- (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by DoctorAlien(m): 4:33pm On Nov 11, 2016
achorladey:
DoctorAlien: Another important fact is the harmony of the entire books of the Bible. We know that no part of the Bible contradicts another, "for GOD is not the author of confusion, but of peace..." 1 Cor. 14:33.
Achorladey: My own question is, why is it difficult to acknowledge that, if Jesus was indeed (God of old testament) and Jesus(God of new testament) has a head as well? Why? Afterall apostle Paul wrote both 1 Corinthians 11:3 and 1 Corinthians 14 :33. Can he(Paul) be confused as well? Please mind the word ''if''.

Your question is vague at best. Please present it more clearly. Thank you.
Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by DoctorAlien(m): 4:34pm On Nov 11, 2016
sonmvayina:
the old testament has got nothing to do with the new testament....they are basically 2 different religions. and ideologies..it is explicitly stated in the old testament time and time again..''God is not a man''...and had no intention of making a woman pregnant to bear a son or child. the first commandment specifically warned them not to serve any other God beside this particular God that choose the Jews ( Deuteronomy 32:7)..he choose them, they where his people and he was their God..they Jews knew they were other Gods but only worship this particular God. to worship another was punishable by death and to worship a man was a big idolatry to the Jews, this particular God warned them not to make any idol of him.the Romans where surprised that when they got to the temple in Jerusalem, they did not find any..they only stole their writ tings( law and prophets)

"A virgin shall conceive and bear a Son..." Does that sound familiar?

You need to read more.
Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by wirinet(m): 4:39pm On Nov 11, 2016
sonmvayina:
the old testament has got nothing to do with the new testament....they are basically 2 different religions. and ideologies..it is explicitly stated in the old testament time and time again.. ''God is not a man''...and had no intention of making a woman pregnant to bear a son or child. the first commandment specifically warned them not to serve any other God beside this particular God that choose the Jews ( Deuteronomy 32:7) ..he choose them, they where his people and he was their God..they Jews knew they were other Gods but only worship this particular God. to worship another was punishable by death and to worship a man was a big idolatry to the Jews, this particular God warned them not to make any idol of him.the Romans where surprised that when they got to the temple in Jerusalem, they did not find any..they only stole their writ tings( law and prophets)

Christianity on the other hand is the cult of Inana and her beloved Dimuzi or Tammuz, which originated from Babylon, they stole the Jewish writings and super glued their '' Confra'' manual to the Tanaka...to discourage the Jews from waiting for the messiah..

That is food for thought. If the 21st 2nd and 3rd commandments states;

- You shall have no other gods before me.

- You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.
- You shall not bow down to them or worship them;

Why then do the christians add two other Gods to Yahweh to make 3. Why do the christians add a jewish man - Jesus and a holy spirit to the Jewish God to make three Gods in one.

If God wanted to equate others to himself, he would have said so in the commandment given to moses.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by achorladey: 5:20pm On Nov 11, 2016
DoctorAlien: Another important fact is the harmony of the entire books of the Bible. We know that no part of the Bible contradicts another, "for GOD is not the author of confusion, but of peace..." 1 Cor. 14:33.
achorladey : My own question is, if Jesus was indeed (God of old testament and God of new testament), why is it difficult to acknowledge that he(Jesus) has a head? Why? After all, apostle Paul wrote both 1 Corinthians 11:3 and 1 Corinthians 14 :33. Can he( apostle Paul) be confused as well? Please mind the word ''if''.
Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by easterwick(m): 6:36pm On Nov 11, 2016
Hatred and love
God of love want you to love
God of hate want you to hate
but you hate devil and love God and both you have not see them the only person that have see both of them is jesus christ what did he says you should do is love ur enemies love one another this is how you belong to him if you like you know bible from A to Z or do great miracle like apostle paul my brother on the lastday you will know the real person you love if it is devil or God
I CAN SEE EVERYBODY SAYS, THE DEVIL IS BAD AND SPEAKS EVIL OF HIM AND YOU HAVE NOT SEE HIM await him on judgement day my brother if you love God love one another and your enemies, speak no evil of anything. this is how i ran out of christian church after receiving the holyspirit after what i saw and i was persecuted cus am removing the logo from the church and this will lead to endtime as instructed by paul.. i begin to see that the world is already end for me and people r waiting for mark of the beast my brothers OT/NT is not the problem but let us love ourselves we are together in deception if d world end now those going to heaven will not know likewise those who are going to hell cause we claim to love God but actually hate him cus he is in that witch you want to die for every living being was created by him
I KNOW YOU WILL TRAMPLE ON THIS BECAUSE I KNOW WHAT IS IN US, i took my peace along with my self.
Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by akintom(m): 7:27pm On Nov 11, 2016
DoctorAlien:
The Bible should be the only creed of the Christian. And as such, in matters concerning doctrine, the Christian knows that there are only two sides: the wrong teaching and the biblical teaching.

Another important fact is the harmony of the entire books of the Bible. We know that no part of the Bible contradicts another, "for GOD is not the author of confusion, but of peace..." 1 Cor. 14:33. Therefore, a Christian understands that:

1. The Bible is totally in harmony, and is devoid of any form of contradiction.

How could you make this deliberate false claim? More than a thousand times, here on this NL, your Bible has been presented to you as one single fictional book that failed story consistency and rationality (full of perceptible and confirmed conflictions and contradictions).

Stop this jokes plsssssssssssssss.....

2. Perceived contradictions in the Bible will be cleared up if the Bible is diligently studied with the help of the Holy Spirit.

The contradictions are not only perceptible, but confirmed.

3. It is grossly wrong to base a doctrine on just a verse of the Bible, and that the entire books of the Bible must be consulted to find out their harmonious opinion on a matter, before conclusion can be drawn.

Verses upon verses, and precept upon precept, whatever is harmonious in the bible, is based on the "the God in whom there's no good or evil" concept (if God does evil, he can't be questioned). What a God?

4. If a verse of the Bible appears to contradict a host of other which are in harmony on an issue, a better understanding of that verse must be sought.

Where shall the better understanding come from? Other than another conflicting rationalization.
Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by jonbellion(m): 7:38pm On Nov 11, 2016
They plagiarized judiasm and made a God out of a man
Lol the comedy in Christianity

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by sonmvayina(m): 7:39pm On Nov 11, 2016
wirinet:

Why then do the christians add two other Gods to Yahweh to make 3. Why do the christians add a jewish man - Jesus and a holy spirit to the Jewish God to make three Gods in one.

If God wanted to equate others to himself, he would have said so in the commandment given to moses.

exactly..that is why i said they are 2 different religion, the Romans only stole theirs and added it to theirs....got it?
Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by sonmvayina(m): 7:43pm On Nov 11, 2016
DoctorAlien:

"A virgin shall conceive and bear a Son..." Does that sound familiar?

You need to read more.

you are the dullest person i have seen on this forum...am sorry to say..that was a sign for king Ahab, the father of that baby was the person making that statement.. read the whole story well, dont take verses out of context...please. the Jews had no chapters or verses in their book. it was the Christians that came later to do that..the Jews read the story and learn the message therein...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by akintom(m): 7:52pm On Nov 11, 2016
Verses upon verses, and precept upon precept. Are these not self contradictions of your God?

1. THE SOUL THAT SIN, GOD WILL PUNISH THE SOUL AND HIS GENERATION TO THE 4TH GENERATION.

Exodus 34:5 And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD.

Exodus 34:6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, long-suffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,

Exodus 34:7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, and on the children's children, to the third and to the fourth generation.

2. THE SOUL THAT SIN, WILL BE PUNISHED, NO EXTENSION

Ezekiel 18:1 The word of the LORD came to me again, saying,

Ezekiel 18:2 What mean you, that you use this proverb concerning the land of Israel, saying, The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge?

Ezekiel 18:3 As I live, said the Lord GOD, you shall not have occasion any more to use this proverb in Israel.

Ezekiel 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sins, it shall die.

Ezekiel 18:20 The soul that sins, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be on him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be on him.
Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by DoctorAlien(m): 8:41pm On Nov 11, 2016
sonmvayina:

you are the dullest person i have seen on this forum...am sorry to say..that was a sign for king Ahab,

If the sign was for King Ahab alone:

1. Has it been fulfilled?

2. Which baby fulfilled it?

3. Which virgin conceived?

4. Was the Baby called Immanuel?

5. If the Baby was called Immanuel, where was that?

Did you also note that Ahaz never asked a sign of the LORD? And that when the LORD was about to speak the sign, He said "Hear now, O House of David"?
Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by ujiriukiri(m): 7:26am On Nov 12, 2016
@hahn in the first few replies accurately described the god of the old testament with verses from the bible. grin
Then christians pick one or two verses that say god never contradicts itself.

If I write a book and a line in the book says "This book is the best book ever written and cannot be disputed", does this make the book factual? undecided What makes a book factual is the validity and truth in its content. The bible has proved otherwise!

I'll say again, if christians actually read the bible, we'll see less of them. They rather read only the parts their pastors have culled for them.

You take it all or leave it all!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by MizJanet(f): 7:44am On Nov 12, 2016
Splinz:

Hello Canticles, you're more of a scoffer—ignorant fellow than a teacher. If you're disagreeing with the op's position and wish to enlighten him, there're standards that befits and suits a teacher, which the apostle Paul communicated to Timothy. Here, "And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kindly to everyone, an apt teacher, patient, correcting opponents with gentleness..." (2 Timothy 24-25). But regrettably, you're running foul of these instructions by trying to ridicule him, and worse still, also ignorantly & confidently making assertions without understanding either what you're saying or the things about which you assert (1 Timothy 1:6-7).

Now, the crux of the matter. The op has conveniently established that Jesus is the same as God of the old testament, and I absolutely agrees with him because it is simply the truth!

Absolutely yes! Here's the proof: “And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they [ancient Israel] drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ” (I Cor. 10:4). Again, this is one unmistakably proof among many others, that the God the patriarchs served and worshiped was Jesus Christ! What can be plainer than this, or do you still need more proofs?

You can't cheery-pick scriptural verses that seems to suit your belly in this matter, and bluntly ignored the many other verses that runs contrary, examples are (John 1:1-3, 14, Hebrews 1:8-10, 7:3, etc). Ignoring these truths and focusing only on Jesus earthly life breeds contradictions (where there's none), confusion, denial and hypocrisy. Understand that God is not the author of confusion but of peace (1 Corinthians 14:33).

Now, if you're lacking knowledge of why Jesus needed another God while He was on earth, even though He was God, then humbly ask for it and the answer will be provided. Bye now.

Is your Bible contradicting itself ? grin grin

But Act 3 vs 13 says Jesus is just a servant of the God of the old testament , Is the Bible confuse ?
Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by sonmvayina(m): 8:32am On Nov 12, 2016
MizJanet:

But Act 3 vs 13 says Jesus is just a servant of the God of the old testament , Is the Bible confuse ?

what people will learn and need to understand is the fact that the bible never said there is/was onlly one God...it never did and therefore there is no such thing as monoethism..the bible even gave the names of a few of them..the bible calls them "other Gods".,the jews only reverence the God that choose them as a people..that is the isreslites. He calls isreal his beloved son. so all of the prophesy asigned to jesus as the suffering son or servant actually refers to isreal..if you know their history you will understannd their suffering..so the jesus of the new testament at best is the son of another God..not the old testsment one..the jews where promised a messiah that will deliver them from their enemies who were always on their gate..the messiah was not promised to the world...
Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by Splinz(m): 8:36am On Nov 12, 2016
MizJanet:

It's either you're lacking in comprehension skills or simply drooling in foolery.

Piece of advice. Go and sharpen your comprehension skills, or better still, go back and read my post for at least five(5) times.

1 Like

Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by Barristter07: 9:34am On Nov 12, 2016
Splinz

Splinz:

It's either you're lacking in comprehension skills or simply drooling in foolery.

Piece of advice. Go and sharpen your comprehension skills, or better still, go back and read my post for at least five(5) times.

A popular quote says a Chain is only as strong as its weakest link

Rather than insulting those who present Act 3:13 to you ( with what I read in that verse , it logically destroy this thread) , can you just kindly explain that scripture for proper clarification ?
Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by hahn(m): 9:40am On Nov 12, 2016
ujiriukiri:
@hahn in the first few replies accurately described the god of the old testament with verses from the bible. grin
Then christians pick one or two verses that say god never contradicts itself.

If I write a book and a line in the book says "This book is the best book ever written and cannot be disputed", does this make the book factual? undecided What makes a book factual is the validity and truth in its content. The bible has proved otherwise!

I'll say again, if christians actually read the bible, we'll see less of them. They rather read only the parts their pastors have culled for them.

You take it all or leave it all!

I think we need to start a #readyourownbible campaign. These guys don't read it. If they did, they would know it is full of shit

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by wirinet(m): 10:00am On Nov 12, 2016
DoctorAlien:

If the sign was for King Ahab alone:

1. Has it been fulfilled?

2. Which baby fulfilled it?

3. Which virgin conceived?

4. Was the Baby called Immanuel?

5. If the Baby was called Immanuel, where was that?

Did you also note that Ahaz never asked a sign of the LORD? And that when the LORD was about to speak the sign, He said "Hear now, O House of David"?

This is the exact verses you are referring to;

10 Moreover the LORD spake again unto Ahaz, saying,
11 Ask thee a sign of the LORD thy God; ask it either in the depth, or in the height above.
12 But Ahaz said, I will not ask, neither will I tempt the LORD.
13 And he said, Hear ye now, O house of David; Is it a small thing for you to weary men, but will ye weary my God also?
14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
15 Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.
16 For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.
17 The LORD shall bring upon thee, and upon thy people, and upon thy father's house, days that have not come, from the day that Ephraim departed from Judah; even the king of Assyria.

Please can you explain how you relate this promise made to ahaz to jesus?
Was Jesus named Immanuel? From what we know, he was not named even Jesus. He was said to have been named Joshua.
Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by Splinz(m): 10:19am On Nov 12, 2016
Barristter07:

Splinz

A popular quote says a Chain is only as strong as its weakest link

Rather than insulting those who present Act 3:13 to you ( with what I read in that verse , it logically destroy this thread) , can you just kindly explain that scripture for proper clarification ?

That's no insult, it's simply answering her accordingly.

I can discern a true seeker and one who simply want to scoff. I'm not cut out for useless wrangling.

Acts 3:13 doesn't destroy anything, but is in perfect harmony with the rest of scripture!

However, for the sake of those who sincerely seeks to understand the seemingly contradictions (not that there's any), I'd devote time towards clearing the confusion when I'm less busy.
Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by Barristter07: 1:03pm On Nov 12, 2016
Splinz:

That's no insult, it's simply answering her accordingly.

I can discern a true seeker and one who simply want to scoff. I'm not cut out for useless wrangling.

Acts 3:13 doesn't destroy anything, but is in perfect harmony with the rest of scripture!

However, for the sake of those who sincerely seeks to understand the seemingly contradictions (not that there's any), I'd devote time towards clearing the confusion when I'm less busy.

I will be expecting your explanation on the said verse
Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by DoctorAlien(m): 1:53pm On Nov 12, 2016
wirinet:

Was Jesus named Immanuel? From what we know, he was not named even Jesus. He was said to have been named Joshua.

Jesus is a variant of the name Joshua.

You quoted some questions which I asked: can you answer them?
Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by Splinz(m): 5:06pm On Nov 12, 2016
Barristter07:

I will be expecting your explanation on the said verse

Hello my brother, like I did said I'd create time to answer mischievous questions originally thrown by MizJanet, followed by you. I said mischievously and indeed insincerely asked because you lot bluntly ignored the many other biblical truths establishing Jesus Godhood from the beginning, and instead settles on only that which suits your belly. I tell you, learning this way breeds what some people called "contradictions and confusions in the bible", where there's none. Cheery-picking the word of God this way leads to denial and hypocrisy!

It is my hope that you'd put aside all preconceived ideas & what you've been taught in JW, and be noble in character like the Berean who received the word in all eagerness and searched the scriptures to see if those things taught them by Paul was true (Acts 17:11).

First, before proceeding, I'd like to quickly talk on "God". Who or what exactly is God Understanding the Person of God is very important at this point, even though the OP has addressed the issue already.

The Real Beginning

Genesis means “beginning.” Most people assume this is where one learns of the beginning of God’s revealed knowledge. The true beginning of all things—where the account of God’s creation really starts—is not found in Genesis 1. It is found in the New Testament, in John 1. This is where the Bible records who or what existed before the creation recorded in Genesis.

Here is how John writes of the earliest time the Bible records: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things [“the universe” – Moffatt translation of same word in Hebrews 1:2] were made by Him; and without Him was not ANYTHING made that was made” (1:1-3). This is all-encompassing.

But who is “the Word”? John answers a few verses later: “And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth” (vs. 14).

In the original Greek, the term “the Word” actually means “Spokesman.” While Christ only became the Son of God at His human birth, He was an eternal Being—He was “without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life” (Heb. 7:3).

Plainly, these verses speak of Jesus Christ both before and after His human birth. Only one God Being “became flesh and dwelt among us.” But verse 1 reveals more! Notice it says that Christ, the Word, “was” God and was also “with” God. This can only be possible if TWO separate Beings are being described. These TWO eternal Beings—Personages—existed before any of the physical universe had been created. They existed from the beginning and earlier.

“There is one God,” the apostle James wrote (Jms. 2:19). “God” in Old Testament Hebrew is Elohim, a collective noun that can be used in both singular and plural forms, such as with “sheep, deer, cattle, offspring, series, species, equipment, aircraft” and other terms. It was Elohim who said, “Let Us make man in Our image, after Our likeness” (Gen. 1:26). One God—one divine family, or kingdom—comprised of two individual Members, contrary to a false doctrine of the trinity. Notice the three bold words and you'd see that more than One Person was involved in the creation account.

God and the Word (who was also God) never argued, never debated, never worked against each other, but instead lived and worked together in perfect unison, harmony and peace throughout eternity.

In the book of Amos, God asks a rhetorical question: “Can two walk together, except they be agreed?” (3:3).

The answer is an obvious “no.” God and the Word were able to “walk together” without contention because they always agreed with each other.

But how?

One had to take the lead and make the final decisions. Think of the sign on Nigeria President Buhari's desk: “The buck stops here.” The Other—the Word (logos in Greek)—represented God, serving as divine “Spokesman” for God’s kingdom, following, supporting and carrying out God’s commands. One led; the other followed His lead. Yet they were both equally God, in character and power. Their relationship reflected government in action.

For example, the two Beings in the Godhead had a “profession”: creating, planning, designing, building and sustaining. In this regard, each Member of the God Family had a role to play. The One whom we know today as the Father was the executive decision-maker. The Word served as Counselor and implementer—the One who made the decisions happen, via the power of the Holy Spirit.

Both Beings worked together in one mindset. There was no room for envy, pride or selfish ambition, for God is love (I John 4:16)—and love “is kind; [it] envies not…vaunts not itself, is not puffed up, does not behave itself unseemly, seeks not her own, is not easily provoked, thinks no evil; rejoices not in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth…[Love] never fails” (I Cor. 13:4-6, cool.

A lot of space and time has been taken to describe and make clear the 'Person of God'. This thorough understanding was absolutely necessary—to know Jesus background prior His time on earth. Now, with this understanding, I'd now proceed to explain why Jesus couldn't function as "God" in full glory while on earth—why He depended on the other God (Father) for everything.

I'd be back shortly...

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by Jesusloveyou: 4:46pm On Nov 13, 2016
wirinet:

yes
Jesus name is still Emmanuel
Meaning God with us

1 Like

Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by Jesusloveyou: 5:02pm On Nov 13, 2016
wirinet:

nobody is worshipping any other God
We worship one God
Jesus came in the form of God
Therefore Jesus is God himself
In john 1vs1-5,
In the beginning was the word and the same word was God

1 Like

Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by orunto27: 5:14pm On Nov 13, 2016
Same as The God of The New Testament.
Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by Splinz(m): 5:29pm On Nov 13, 2016
"The God of Abraham and of Isaac and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified his servant Jesus..." (Acts 3:13)

The above scripture sets the tone for our next discussion. Here, we see that the "God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob" glorified His servant Jesus. No doubt, a careless reading of this verse seems to suggest that Jesus was merely a servant of God that was "glorified".

Yes, it is true that Jesus was a servant of God while on earth—He prayed and relied on God for all of His needs. Even the messages He brought was from God, same with all His miracles—everything!

Some people, because of Jesus dependency on God for everything, often laughed off the idea that is He is God too. One among some of the questions they asked is: "How can God pray to God"?. Indeed, why did He (God) prayed to another God

I have already confidently asserted and established according to scriptures that Jesus is the same God that the patriarchs worshiped and served (1 Cor. 10:4). Also, having thoroughly dealt with the Person of God as it is and was in the beginning, Acts 3:13 becomes self-explanatory!

Why Jesus Needed Another God

Before His eventual birth as flesh and blood human, prophecies were given about His coming (Isaiah 7:14), and He was to be known as the son/servant of God (Luke 1:32, Deuteronomy 18:18). Now, since His birth was of divine origin—of the holy spirit, it then becomes clear as to why God claimed responsibility—fatherhood, of the child, since His (Jesus) mission on earth was a mutual agreement between the two to save their creation—man, from eternal death.

What Changed?

What really changed in Jesus as "an eternal God Being" and a "son/servant of God"? What was the missing link? How did an all-powerful God suddenly becomes a helpless, puny and needy man? Lets find out what happened—what changed.

Who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross (Philippians 2:6-8, RSV).

Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross! (New International Version)

Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. (New Living Translation)

I quoted these three translation for clarity purpose—to grasp the amazing understanding here! Jesus, though being God, had to emptied His glory as God having found Himself as a man! It was only right for Him to do so, since man is man and God is God—never both. However, the only difference between Jesus and other men was that He was of divine origin and full of the holy spirit right from birth.

So, it was this emptiness—relinquish of powers, to His better-half (God the Father), that made Jesus became a son/servant of God! And note that He did this thing of His own accord!
(John 10:18). Now, there are two possible reasons for this emptiness: (1). To successfully complete His mission on earth, which is supremely to die for the sins of the world. (2). To fulfill prophecies. Having earlier described God, it is now very easy to understand their relationship—purely love based. In fact, it is only when you understand the relationship between these two Personages (God), that you can successfully love anyone!

So friends, I believed that I've successfully lay bare the misunderstanding and seemingly contradictions regarding Jesus preexistence and sonship. Armed with this understanding, we can better appreciate Jesus for who He is, and the supreme sacrifice He paid for mankind. I tell you, nobody would wield such an enormous and unfettered powers as Jesus did, only to relinquish it and suffer in the hands of puny men—His own creation! But He did it after all, for you and I! Little wonder then why "He was highly exalted and given a name that is above every other name, that at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father" (Philippians 2:9-11). Glory be to God!

Finally, even if this understanding is still veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing (2 Cor. 4:3).

cc:
Barristter07
MizJanet

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by Barristter07: 7:14pm On Nov 15, 2016
Splinz

Splinz:
"The God of Abraham and of Isaac and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified his servant Jesus..." (Acts 3:13)

The above scripture sets the tone for our next discussion. Here, we see that the "God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob" glorified His servant Jesus. No doubt, a careless reading of this verse seems to suggest that Jesus was merely a servant of God that was "glorified".

you are right a careless reading seems to suggest that Jesus was merely a servant of God that was glorified

[size=28]
But that's not the issue here [/size] . the issue here and which was prevented from that verse is this : that scripture differentiate Jesus from the God of Abraham , Isaac and Jacob also known as the God of old testament . which contradict your stance that Jesus is that same God of old testament . whereas Jesus was clearly separated from the God of Old testament in Act 3:13.

Yes, it is true that Jesus was a servant of God while on earth—He prayed and relied on God for all of His needs. Even the messages He brought was from God, same with all His miracles—everything!

Some people, because of Jesus dependency on God for everything, often laughed off the idea that is He is God too. One among some of the questions they asked is: "How can God pray to God"?. Indeed, why did He (God) prayed to another God

I have already confidently asserted and established according to scriptures that Jesus is the same God that the patriarchs worshiped and served (1 Cor. 10:4). Also, having thoroughly dealt with the Person of God as it is and was in the beginning, Acts 3:13 becomes self-explanatory!

Before His eventual birth as flesh and blood human, prophecies were given about His coming (Isaiah 7:14), and He was to be known as the son/servant of God (Luke 1:32, Deuteronomy 18:18). Now, since His birth was of divine origin—of the holy spirit, it then becomes clear as to why God claimed responsibility—fatherhood, of the child, since His (Jesus) mission on earth was a mutual agreement between the two to save their creation—man, from eternal death.

What Changed?

What really changed in Jesus as "an eternal God Being" and a "son/servant of God"? What was the missing link? How did an all-powerful God suddenly becomes a helpless, puny and needy man? Lets find out what happened—what changed.

I quoted these three translation for clarity purpose—to grasp the amazing understanding here! Jesus, though being God, had to emptied His glory as God having found Himself as a man! It was only right for Him to do so, since man is man and God is God—never both. However, the only difference between Jesus and other men was that He was of divine origin and full of the holy spirit right from birth.

So, it was this emptiness—relinquish of powers, to His better-half (God the Father), that made Jesus became a son/servant of God! And note that He did this thing of His own accord!
(John 10:18). Now, there are two possible reasons for this emptiness: (1). To successfully complete His mission on earth, which is supremely to die for the sins of the world. (2). To fulfill prophecies. Having earlier described God, it is now very easy to understand their relationship—purely love based. In fact, it is only when you understand the relationship between these two Personages (God), that you can successfully love anyone!

So friends, I believed that I've successfully lay bare the misunderstanding and seemingly contradictions regarding Jesus preexistence and sonship. Armed with this understanding, we can better appreciate Jesus for who He is, and the supreme sacrifice He paid for mankind. I tell you, nobody would wield such an enormous and unfettered powers as Jesus did, only to relinquish it and suffer in the hands of puny men—His own creation! But He did it after all, for you and I! Little wonder then why "He was highly exalted and given a name that is above every other name, that at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father" (Philippians 2:9-11). Glory be to God!

Finally, even if this understanding is still veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing (2 Cor. 4:3).

like I said earlier, why Jesus isn't just a servant is not an issue here.

The point is : Why should the Bible differentiate Jesus as separate Jesus from the God of Our Fathers , does that not contradict your stance ?
Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by Barristter07: 7:16pm On Nov 15, 2016
Splinz

Splinz:

you are right a careless reading seems to suggest that Jesus was merely a servant of God that was glorified

[size=28]
But that's not the issue here [/size] . the issue here and which was presented from that verse is this : that scripture differentiate Jesus from the God of Abraham , Isaac and Jacob also known as the God of old testament . which contradict your stance that Jesus is that same God of old testament . whereas Jesus was clearly separated from the God of Old testament in Act 3:13.

What Changed?

like I said earlier, why Jesus isn't just a servant is not an issue here.

The point is : Why should the Bible distinguish Jesus as separate from the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob also known as the God of old testament, does that not contradict your stance ?
Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by DoctorAlien(m): 7:29pm On Nov 15, 2016
Barristter07,

The concept of a second Person in the GOD Family who is worthy of homage just like the Father is, is seen in Psa. 2:12 which reads "Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him."

It is also recorded here that those who put their trust in this Son are blessed. This Son could not have been a man, for "Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man..." Jer. 17:5

This Son can, also, not be an angel, for "Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly:" Job 4:18. If GOD charged His angels with folly, then He could not ask us to put our trust in an angel.

This leaves us with only one option: this Son being talked about in Psa. 2:12 is GOD! Prov. 3:5-8 and Psa.118:8 instructs us to trust only GOD. And since trust can be put in this Son, He must be GOD.
Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by Barristter07: 9:22pm On Nov 15, 2016
Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by Barristter07: 9:23pm On Nov 15, 2016
DoctorAlien

DoctorAlien:
Barristter07,

The concept of embarassed embarassed a second Person in the GOD Family who is worthy of homage just like the Father is, is seen in Psa. 2:12 which reads "Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him."

It is also recorded here that those who put their trust in this Son are blessed. This Son could not have been a man, for "Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man..." Jer. 17:5

This Son can, also, not be an angel, for "Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly:" Job 4:18. If GOD charged His angels with folly, then He could not ask us to put our trust in an angel.

This leaves us with only one option: this Son being talked about in Psa. 2:12 is GOD! Prov. 3:5-8 and Psa.118:8 instructs us to trust only GOD. And since trust can be put in this Son, He must be GOD.

Whether Jesus is second person in God or not is not the issue here .please don't derail. The thread is strictly to know whether Jesus is the God of old testament or not .

If Jesus is the God of old testament, is it logical for the scripture to differentiate him from The God of Abraham ?

What does clarifying him as different from the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob at Act 3:13 tells us ?
Re: Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? by achorladey: 9:36pm On Nov 15, 2016
DoctorAlien,
I am calling back two scriptures highlighted in your last post. Please make proper application of Job 4:18 and still proper application of Psalms 2:12. I hope you can read those chapters entirely and make proper correction to your last post.
Finally dont derail from the main trust of the thread according to barrister07. I second him on that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Were Eve's Eyes Not Opened Until Adam Ate? / Ladies Can You Marry An Atheist / Christian Militias Slaughter Up To 30 Muslim Civilians As Hundreds Seek Refuge I

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.