Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,393 members, 7,781,127 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:26 AM

I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me (60020 Views)

Yakubu Nataala Is Dead! Kogi Polytechnic Lecturer Slumps, Dies Over Non-Payment / Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do / Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nwaonyeocha: 1:57pm On Nov 12, 2016
I am 42 years old, my highest qualification is HND.
It is my desire to be a lecturer kindly advise me on how to make this dream a reality.

* Should I start afresh with a Bachelors [I want to move from Mass Communication to Business course]
* How many years of extra study will it take me?
* If I am going back to school, what should be my most important priority?
* I would like to be involved in research and writing extensively - which kind of senior lecturers should I look up to?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by talktonase(m): 2:05pm On Nov 12, 2016
HND and first degree nah waec now for Nigeria. As far as I am concerned, nah evening lesson.Go back for another degree.Age ain't nothing...

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nwaonyeocha: 2:07pm On Nov 12, 2016
Thank you.
If you can offer some answers to other questions listed, I will love it.

talktonase:
HND and first degree nah waec now for Nigeria as far as I am concerned nah evening lesson.Go back for another degree.Age ain't nothing...
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by kinibigdeal(m): 2:12pm On Nov 12, 2016
Those that are advising you to go back for a Nigerian degree that will take you additional 3years are highly ignorant. Because of your age, engage in a top up degree programme online which will only take a year (Herient wott university, morgan state university, university of liverpool etc). Then, you can now start your masters online in same school

9 Likes

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nwaonyeocha: 2:25pm On Nov 12, 2016
Are Online degrees acceptable in Nigerian universities?
What will the cost look like [let me google it]

kinibigdeal:
Those that are advising you to go back for a Nigerian degree that will take you additional 3years are highly ignorant. Because of your age, engage in a top up degree programme online which will only take a year (Herient wott university, morgan state university, university of liverpool etc). Then, you can now start your masters online in same school

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by spice123(m): 2:44pm On Nov 12, 2016
Nwaonyeocha:
I am 42 years old, my highest qualification is HND.
It is my desire to be a lecturer kindly advise me on how to make this dream a reality.

* Should I start afresh with a Bachelors [I want to move from Mass Communication to Business course]
* How many years of extra study will it take me?
* If I am going back to school, what should be my most important priority?
* I would like to be involved in research and writing extensively - which kind of senior lecturers should I look up to?
My brother, I am currently in the teaching profession with HND and it's paying me well. Just go and do a Post Graduate Diploma in Education ( 1 year) for a start. A lot of Polytechnics need lecturers. You can start from there and then do your masters degree and move to a University. By then you must have gained at least 2 years lecturing experience before moving to a University. Nigeria work is solely based on experience and not just carrying certificate around. #speaking from concrete experience#

107 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nwaonyeocha: 2:49pm On Nov 12, 2016
Wonderful!
I knew something good must come from Nairaland.

Sir, please which school do you suggest I opt for regarding the Post Graduate Diploma in Education?
I live in Lagos.

spice123:
My brother, I am currently in the teaching profession with HND and it's paying me well. Just go and do a Post Graduate Diploma in Education ( 1 year) for a start. A lot of Polytechnics need lecturers. You can start from there and then do your masters degree and move to a University. By then you must have gained at least 2 years lecturing experience before moving to a University. Nigeria work is solely based on experience and not just carrying certificate around. #speaking from concrete experience#
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by spice123(m): 2:59pm On Nov 12, 2016
Nwaonyeocha:
Wonderful!
I knew something good must come from Nairaland.

Sir, please which school do you suggest I opt for regarding the Post Graduate Diploma in Education?
I live in Lagos.

you can try NTI for PGDE or NOUN and make your enquiries.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by ade2008(m): 7:21pm On Nov 12, 2016
spice123:

No university will employ him as a lecturer even with HND+PGD+MSC, only polytechnic can. Even to be employed in a polytechnic the PGD should be in the core field(mass comm not in education+ MSC. Academic carreer for HND is very narrow , you can only work as a technologist, so my advice is obtain a degree if you're passionate about working in academic as lecturer. I'm a senior technologist working in a polytechnic , speaking from experience

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by spice123(m): 9:33pm On Nov 12, 2016
ade2008:

No university will employ him as a lecturer even with HND+PGD+MSC, only polytechnic can. Even to be employed in a polytechnic the PGD should be in the core field(mass comm not in education+ MSC. Academic carreer for HND is very narrow , you can only work as a technologist, so my advice is obtain a degree if you're passionate about working in academic as lecturer. I'm a senior technologist working in a polytechnic , speaking from experience
your experience is it based on your workplace? Or from other schools? Or from what people have told you? Funny though. #yourexperience#

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by ade2008(m): 6:44am On Nov 13, 2016
spice123:
your experience is it based on your workplace? Or from other schools? Or from what people have told you? Funny though. #yourexperience#

I'm in the system, working in a polytechnic, state owned. This is not hearsay, assumption, direct experience. With HND you can only be employed as a technologist or instructor(high cgpa). Note lecturer cadre is different from instructor cadre. I repeat, in Nigeria, no university will employ him as a lecturer even with HND+PGD+MSC, only polytechnic can. Many lecturers in the polytechnic with HND+PGD+MSC are now going back for degree so that can they have the opportunity to work in the university. Gone are the days HND are employed as instructor in the university and rise to be a professor. OP, my advice for you, if you really want to work in academics settings get the degree, and then your master. Dont go through the PGD+MSC path especially if you wish to work later as a reaseacher(lecturer) in the university. You will surely need the degree. This information is from a reliable source, i'm one of the victim of this abnormal system in this country. Be wise in your decision, dont waste your money and time. We are in the same age bracket, age is not a barrier to achieve your dream but take wise decision now. If you've academic Godfather you can neglect this advice. Goodluck

75 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by deborsky(m): 7:45pm On Nov 13, 2016
spice123:
Its not funny, he just told u the truth. HND +PGD+MSC can get u a teaching job in poly as an istructor/technologist or as a lecturer in college of education(with a Godfather). In line with NUC requirement, u must av at least upper credit Bsc+Msc(phd grade) before u can lecture in a university, some uni will even want to see an evident of registration for phd. Even if ur Godfather push u into uni system wit Hnd, u must do ur 1st degree. All the best.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by umbo: 8:40pm On Nov 13, 2016
T

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nwaonyeocha: 10:21pm On Nov 14, 2016
You nailed my fears.
Infact, its obvious I must go for a fresh degree as I want to specialize in investments.

Am happy I asked these questions before going for PGD.

ade2008:

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nwaonyeocha: 10:24pm On Nov 14, 2016
Thank you for the confirmation.
My mentor asked me to start from the scratch. As it is, I am most likely to take another GCE - I had ordinary P in the WAEC I used for my HND.

deborsky:
Its not funny, he just told u the truth. HND +PGD+MSC can get u a teaching job in poly as an istructor/technologist or as a lecturer in college of education(with a Godfather). In line with NUC requirement, u must av at least upper credit Bsc+Msc(phd grade) before u can lecture in a university, some uni will even want to see an evident of registration for phd. Even if ur Godfather push u into uni system wit Hnd, u must do ur 1st degree. All the best.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nwaonyeocha: 1:05am On Nov 17, 2016
Thank you for all the beautiful insights so far.

What if I go for MBA?

If I research and write about business and investing, can I secure a position in the academia - May be in the general studies department?
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Dereformer(m): 1:28pm On Nov 17, 2016
Nwaonyeocha:
Thank you for all the beautiful insights so far.

What if I go for MBA?

If I research and write about business and investing, can I secure a position in the academia - May be in the general studies department?

Four years ago, I was in your shoes.

I had an HND(Distinction) in accounting and ACA.

The discrimination was just too much. My friend told me the painful truth. He ask me to go back to school for a Bsc in Accounting.

I thought of this, with children school fees to pay, family to feed and cloth and other important financial responsibilities to meet, how could I possibly add another responsiblity of paying university school fees for myself. It wasn't an easy decision.

In 2012, then i was 38 years, i took a bold step that is later to be one of the important decisions of my life. I enrolled for a Bsc accounting in Anambra state university.

It was not an easy journey, but the support i got from my wife made things a whole lot easier. I completed the program in December 2015 after 4 years of struggle. I collected my statement of result in September 2016. The good thing is that i finished with First Class (honours).

Today, as I am typing this, I am gainfully employed with my Bsc result. By next year, God willing, I will start my MSc in Accounting.

Sir, the truth is that you need a Bsc if ever you want to be a lecturer. MBA is not an accademic masters and as such is not recognised in the academic environment.

In my class during the Bsc days, I had a coursemate who is older than me and who came in with the following qualifications: HND, PGD, MSC, ACA, ACIT. Yet he came back to do Bsc.

On a final note, NEVER LET AGE STOP YOU FROM ACCOMPLISHING A NOBLE IDEA.

123 Likes 13 Shares

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Chinks(m): 1:37pm On Nov 17, 2016
Dereformer:

The discrimination was just too much. My friend told me the painful truth. He ask me to go back to school for a Bsc in Accounting.

I thought of this, with children school fees to pay, family to feed and cloth and other important financial responsibilities to meet, how could I possibly add another responsiblity of paying university school fees for myself. It wasn't an easy decision.

In 2012, then i was 38 years, i took a bold step that is later to be one of the important decisions of my life. I enrolled for a Bsc accounting in Anambra state university.

It was not an easy journey, but the support i got from my wife made things a whole lot easier. I completed the program in December 2015 after 4 years of struggle. I collected my statement of result in September 2016. The good thing is that i finished with First Class (honours).

Today, as I am typing this, I am gainfully employed with my Bsc result. By next year, God willing, I will start my MSc in Accounting.

Sir, the truth is that you need a Bsc if ever you want to be a lecturer. MBA is not an accademic masters and as such is not recognised in the academic environment.

In my class during the Bsc days, I had a coursemate who is older than me and who came in with the following qualifications: HND, PGD, MSC, ACA, ACIT. Yet he came back to do Bsc.

insightful...... I really gained a lot from your post sir! Gracia

23 Likes

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Carmal90(m): 3:00pm On Nov 17, 2016
Dereformer:

U saying u started from scratch? Why don't u try DE Then!

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by eph12(m): 3:05pm On Nov 17, 2016
Carmal90:

You just like quarrel. Someone that went back for Bsc even after HND at age of 38 with wife and kids never try?

11 Likes

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Dereformer(m): 3:14pm On Nov 17, 2016
Carmal90:

I did Part time because I was working. In Anambra State University, part-time is 5 years if you are coming in with waec. For people that have ND, NCE, HND, they're given direct entry to start from 200L.

So, I spent 4 years in the pursuit of Bsc and it more than paid off today.

10 Likes

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Carmal90(m): 3:22pm On Nov 17, 2016
eph12:

You just like quarrel. Someone that went back for Bsc even after HND at age of 38 with wife and kids never try?

Did I follow u talk? D man I directed my question to has done justice to it!

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nwaonyeocha: 11:23pm On Nov 17, 2016
The picture you created is too glaring to ignore.

Learning a wonderful thing. Whenever great minds meet, there is a rob off. I never knew MBA has nothing to do academically. B.Sc, here I come!

Dereformer:

9 Likes

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nwaonyeocha: 11:26pm On Nov 17, 2016
@eph12 and Carmal90, una de try.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Carmal90(m): 12:00am On Nov 18, 2016
Nwaonyeocha:

Learning a wonderful thing. Whenever great minds meet, there is a rob off. I never knew MBA has nothing to do academically. B.Sc, here I come!

Hint me of ur next move, might probably join u, am also HND holder

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Dereformer(m): 6:00am On Nov 18, 2016
Nwaonyeocha:

my advice to you is this, try as much as possible to finish with a first class. It will not be easy but it is achievable.
First class is the only thing that will compensate for doing Bsc at this age.

I was able to make a first class because I was determined. in the early part of the program, I made sure I scored the maximum points.

Remember that I did HND in accounting, so from level 200 to 400 I maintained a cgpa of 4.89. my worst result was in 500l. Finally, I finished with 4.7 as earlier stated.

As at today, there is hardly any company I apply to that doesn't invite me for interview.

The only point of disagreement has always been during negotiations.

Currently, I have over 14 years experience in accounting function.

My only, deficiency which I want to start working on is lack of good comportment during public speaking. The reason is quite obvious, I was a book worm during my poly and uni days.

I hardly socialise. A friend has introduced me to toastmasters and I want to check them out this weekend in their Ikeja branch.

finally, you won't regret going for Bsc.

please, ignore my typo. I was in a hurry while typing this using my phone.

32 Likes

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Dereformer(m): 6:47am On Nov 18, 2016
Nwaonyeocha:

my advice to you is this, try as much as possible to finish with a first class. It will not be easy but it is achievable.

I was able to make a first class because I was determined. in the early part of the program, I made sure I scored the maximum points.

Remember that I did HND in accounting, so from level 200 to 400 I maintained a cgpa of 4.89. my worst result was in 500l. Finally, I finished with 4.7 as earlier stated.

As at today, there is hardly any company I apply to that doesn't invite me for interview.

My only, deficiency which I want to start working on is lack of good comportment during public speaking. The reason is quite obvious, I was a book worm during my poly and uni days.

I hardly socialise. A friend has introduced me to toastmasters and I want to check them out this weekend in their Ikeja branch.

6 Likes

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nwaonyeocha: 11:51am On Nov 18, 2016
Thank you so much.
You have taken this issue as an individual thing. Honestly, you are offering me the needed drive to do it and do it right.
First class? Hmmmmmmm
Should I go Mass Communication, I am sure to make that grade. I missed it by a little margin.
But I want to change to a business course for the B.Sc. Your words are golden.

Dereformer:

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Dereformer(m): 3:29pm On Nov 18, 2016
Nwaonyeocha:
Thank you so much.
You have taken this issue as an individual thing. Honestly, you are offering me the needed drive to do it and do it right.
First class? Hmmmmmmm
Should I go Mass Communication, I am sure to make that grade. I missed it by a little margin.
But I want to change to a business course for the B.Sc. Your words are golden.

Which business course in particular?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Scholar8200(m): 7:55pm On Nov 18, 2016
ade2008:

Sir, how acceptable is a NOUN B.Sc?
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by jeebz: 12:41am On Nov 19, 2016
OP, Achievers University Owo and Kwara State University are some of the university that do HND conversion programmes. It should take you a minimum of 2 years. Masters and Phd degrees should take between 4 - 8 years depending on what country you choose to study and what routes you choose. Some foreign universities may admit you into a Phd programme directly if your BSc grades are stellar.

See:

http://www.kwasu.edu.ng/index.php/2014-04-30-09-19-40/2014-04-30-09-55-03/top-up-degree-and-hnd-conversion-programme.
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-to-get-admission-into-a-PhD-program-without-a-masters-degree
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Carmal90(m): 1:36am On Nov 19, 2016
Am also considering going for bsc next year all things be equal, I studied engineering,pls if u have clues if university in Nigeria Within South West that I can apply and be admitted to 300level. Pls and pls hint me

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Male Graduate Sells Food In Anambra After His Deportation From South Africa. Pic / Meet Malam Abba Gandu From Kano, Who Has Been Feeding Lions For The Pass 50yrs / Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.