Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:12 AM

Are All Nonprofit Organizations In Nigeria Really Just Gangs Of Thieves? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Are All Nonprofit Organizations In Nigeria Really Just Gangs Of Thieves? (3132 Views)

Is Nigeria Really The Giant Of Africa? / NGO's And Charitable Organizations Worth Supporting in Nigeria / Is Nigeria really going to get better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are All Nonprofit Organizations In Nigeria Really Just Gangs Of Thieves? by Gannzter(m): 2:57pm On Nov 02, 2009
The reflects only a bit of what this post is about as it was selected more or less for its shock factor. However, it might be so true that it would not even shock most Nigerians. In all fairness most of those that end up at the Corporate Affairs Commission to register nonprofit organizations are there primarily to either make plenty of illegitimate money from donor funds or to squander and launder funds that have been stolen from the main sector in Nigeria (the Government).

At the NPO where I work however (http://www.jcccmemorialparks.org) we know the importance of integrity and indeed it is at the heart of our organization. However, in our day to day activity with have to deal with a ridiculous amount of skepticism. Such skepticism towards nonprofits is not only found in Nigeria or the Developing World, neither is it unfounded.

Where are the good nonprofits actually doing good work?

Why is there no section for nonprofits on Nairaland Nigeria's most famous blog and local online meeting place?

Are all the nonprofits in Nigeria just to busy with using donor money to buy flashy cars?

There needs to place where the numerous passionate workers in the nonprofit sector of Nigeria can discuss the issues we have to face. Please feel free to join the blog on http://www.jcccmemorialparks.org that tries to cater for such things.

Are there any other Nigerian websites out there that cater for the nonprofit world?

Re: Are All Nonprofit Organizations In Nigeria Really Just Gangs Of Thieves? by posakosa(m): 3:02pm On Nov 02, 2009
I HATE when non profits are religiously affiliated. YOU EXCLUDE people.
Re: Are All Nonprofit Organizations In Nigeria Really Just Gangs Of Thieves? by posakosa(m): 3:03pm On Nov 02, 2009
I don't know what cemeteries have to do with the Christian faith. Your idea should be VOID of religious jargon.
Re: Are All Nonprofit Organizations In Nigeria Really Just Gangs Of Thieves? by Gannzter(m): 4:16pm On Nov 02, 2009
Thanks for keeping it real guys. However, the truth is that all registered religious bodies are nonprofits, the fact remains though that many of the religious bodies do give nonprofits a bad name in Nigeria, yet can one cut off his nose to spite his face.

Religion is an important part of Societies fabric whether we like it or not, and the fact that there are so many that do evil in Sheep clothing cannot mean all nonprofits are bad. Take Christian Aid or the Red Cross, surely their affiliation with religion does not make them completely useless, evil, hypocritical or crooked.

The questions raised initially are not answered yet.

Can we all just ignore the religious bit of any nonprofit and look at them for what they do. As for http://www.jcccmemorialparks.org please read their mission statement and if you want to know why you might need a nonprofit in the burial/cemetery scene please go to your nearest public cemetery if you have the heart and compare it to Ridgewood Memorial Park as seen in the report found here http://www.jcccmemorialparks.org/cms2/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=13

To discuss about what a nonprofit is doing with cemeteries please lets go to the http://www.jcccmemorialparks.org blog.

For this post though, can we say more about nonprofits in Nigeria and the few good ones. Positive Energy PEEPS!!
Re: Are All Nonprofit Organizations In Nigeria Really Just Gangs Of Thieves? by Gannzter(m): 4:19pm On Nov 02, 2009
As for excluding people, JCCC's Mission is to provide dignified resting places for all irrespective of means or social status.

If people don't want our services because we have the word "Christian" in our name, we can't help that, but we would try to bring our good services to everyone. Hopefully we might get our own equivalent of the "Red Crescent"
Re: Are All Nonprofit Organizations In Nigeria Really Just Gangs Of Thieves? by Skynews: 11:08pm On Aug 20, 2011
Those are hash words to use generalizing all nonprofit organizations. I happens to be outside the country and is knowledgeable about some nonprofit organizations that are remarkably doing great works in Nigeria. I would have commended you on if you had just stated that the nonprofits based in Nigeria should do more for the neglected, orphans, abandoned and so many needs in Nigeria. There is corruption in Nigeria but all nonprofits are not are not bad. I support charitable organizations and have some friends as well some organizations all in the United States that are dedicated Philanthropists who donate and support for good causes. It is sad and discouraging when you read or hear that what you do are not going anywhere. We should be careful generalizing such comments as they may be detrimental to Nigeria and to good endeavors to humankind. What I would like for the conversation to advance to is:
Why are most churches in Nigeria or Africa not interested in charity works to their communities?
What can be done to get some organizations and wealthy Nigerians involved or to create awareness about ways that they can give and support highly needed humanitarian concerns? Nigeria has enough money to care for her citizens and the fortunate rich people in the country can help in many ways rather than depending on the government to solve all the problems that we know would never happen. Thank you for allowing me to contribute on the topic.
Re: Are All Nonprofit Organizations In Nigeria Really Just Gangs Of Thieves? by ice234: 2:36am On Aug 22, 2011
I plan opening one now
Re: Are All Nonprofit Organizations In Nigeria Really Just Gangs Of Thieves? by chillbabe(f): 6:41am On Sep 01, 2011
I've been contacted by various NGO's sins I moved to Nigeria. Because am a social worker for ten years now. I gave a listening ear to two of them I came up with projects and start looking for funds. When the first money came in I was shocked how people can change that fast. Then I realize that those 2 NGO's were just put up to make money and I stopped working with them. Which is sad because there is allot to do in Nigeria.

By the way I don't understand why it is so expansive to register an NGO. Is that only in Nigeria?
Re: Are All Nonprofit Organizations In Nigeria Really Just Gangs Of Thieves? by ice234: 4:04pm On Sep 09, 2011
please how can i open an ngo
Re: Are All Nonprofit Organizations In Nigeria Really Just Gangs Of Thieves? by obowunmi(m): 7:31am On Sep 10, 2011
The problem with most NPO's around the world is that they follow a for-profit business model which is extremely problematic.

(1) (Reply)

A Very Scary New Kind Of Creature Found ....SEE PHOTOS / EXCLUSIVE: Tragedy Hits Alaba Int'l Market, Owner Of FEDAN (fil) Assesories Dies / Hamabid The Best Auction Site In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.