Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,794 members, 7,806,198 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:54 PM

Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls (30801 Views)

‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls / ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls / ‘Your Problem Is Ignorance': Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Lucasinho(m): 6:35am On Nov 13, 2016
Wole Soyinka, Nobel laureate, has hit back at those trolling him on the Internet over his vow to cut up his American green card if Donald Trump won the presidential election.

The professor has come under severe criticism for not fulfilling his promise since Trump won, and he has described his traducers as “noisome creatures” and “nattering nit-wits” who were commenting on an issue from the “secure cesspits of anonymity” out of “ignorance”.

In an opinion article which he shared with TheCable, Soyinka listed several instances when he had issued a “red card” to countries, including Australia, Cuba and South Africa, on principle, which he said he did not share with the media.

He also insisted that when he made the promise to exit America, he was speaking at a private meeting with Oxford University students and was not making a pledge to the media, questioning why the media would now want to draw up a departure timetable for him.

On the Internet trolling, he wrote: “Let me end with a Red Card to those noisome creatures, the nattering nit-wits of Internet: maybe Trumpland is not as despicable as the Naijaland you impose on our reality from your secure cesspits of anonymity. Go back to school. Your problem is ignorance, ignorance of whatever subject you so readily comment upon. Learn to study your subject before opening up on issues beyond your grasp. Sometimes you make one feel like swapping one green for another, out of embarrassment for occupying the same national space as you. But don’t get nervous, or start jumping for joy too soon – the Nigerian passport is just as tough to rip, physically, as is the Green Card…”

He decried the “literal” interpretation given to his statement that he would cut his green card — the US residency permit renewable every ten years — the “moment” Trump was declared winner.

He cited a gruesome ISIS story to illustrate the literal interpretation people give to statements, declaring: “That is all I have to say to the ‘literalists’ who obsess over a time scheme of their own assessment. Thus, failure to have torn my Green Card ‘the moment’ that I learnt that Mr. Donald Trump had won the presidential elections of the USA. It did not matter what I was doing at the time – teaching, eating, swimming, praying, under the shower or whatever. Or a family member saying, ‘Wait for me!’ – speculatively please, no such disturbance ever took place. If it did however, I am supposed to contact the Nigerian media – to whom I have never spoken, and who never contacted me – except one – to beg permission to pursue a realistic definition of ‘the moment’. Media fascism is however a subject for another day.”

Soyinka said anyone would think that the Brexit Vote “made it imperative for the Brits to plunge into the English Channel instantly, instead of negotiating two years for an orderly withdrawal. Plebians like me of course need far less time, nevertheless they do not uproot overnight. Any other proposition speaks of a permanent agenda, of frustration and hidden histories – such as opportunities to rehabilitate themselves in the public eye.”

He said there is also recession in the land, “and I can understand the psychology of impotence and thus, transferred aggression”.

source: https://www.thecable.ng/problem-ignorance-soyinka-hits-back-internet-trolls

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by jumper524(m): 6:44am On Nov 13, 2016
Honestly if i were in your shoes prof i wouldn't do such nd i admire you even more for not doing such it goes to show that your brain works b4 ur ego

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by 1stGerman: 6:44am On Nov 13, 2016
Olówó ń sọ̀rọ̀ Keep quiet! Baba has spoken oya haters, lagoon is full jump inside grin

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Nobody: 6:49am On Nov 13, 2016
I think the guy thinks too much of himself. He visited Kenya few years back and blocked the media out of a speech he was giving. Just a speech. He considers everything that comes of his mouth as important as his published writtings. undecided so much so that it should be protected from the media? undecided

He needs a reality check. And start being generous with his wisdom, If he believes he has got something useful for the world politics.

114 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Sweetguy25: 6:51am On Nov 13, 2016
Hypocrite. You support a dictator and coupist Buhari and oppose Trump. Which is worse between a Trump presidency and a Buhari Presidency. Hypocrite

210 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by NaijaMutant(f): 7:09am On Nov 13, 2016
Soyinka is trying to insult our common sensibilities undecided

The trolls weren't with you in the US when you promised to tear your green card out of your over bloated ego, as if America even cares about your existence or opinion.

All we are asking you is to fulfill your promise /threat

If Soyinka can't keep to his word;
How do you expect Buhari to fulfill all his campaign promises undecided

232 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by OLADD: 7:10am On Nov 13, 2016
Soyinka, a man who often places himself on a pedestal he surely doesn't belong. This was the same man that threatened hell if MKO Abiola ever died in detention. Indeed, Abiola died in gaol but our professor couldn't do jack. He simply vanished into obscurity thereafter. Gosh!

99 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Bethelwealthy(m): 7:10am On Nov 13, 2016
Your highly respected Nobel Laureate, Your problem is lousiness sir. We have hundreds of nobel laureate in the world but just how many of them makes useless noise at every political fog, either about their country or the world.
You were always quick to have an opinion, no wonder we ve not seen any good literary work from you in the last 10years. Is US your country by blood or by prevelege? I think you should respect a country that respects you with honours.
ok.
Meanwhile, Kindly Vote my brother TEMIDAYO, and his story, "ILLUSION", in the ETISALAT flash Fiction Award. Just a click and a like, and your vote will count. Thanks.
Here's the link. http://prize.etisalat.com.ng/flash-fiction/voteall.php?id=51

65 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by NaijaMutant(f): 7:11am On Nov 13, 2016
jumper524:
Honestly if i were in your shoes prof i wouldn't do such nd i admire you even more for not doing such it goes to show that your brain works b4 ur ego

Asslicking per excellence grin

You've got a talent in this aswear grin

64 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by NaijaMutant(f): 7:15am On Nov 13, 2016
OLADD:
Soyinka, a man who often place himself on a pedestal he surely doesn't belong. This was the same man that threatened hell if MKO Abiola ever died in detention. Indeed, Abiola died in gaol but our professor couldn't do jack. He simply vanished into obscurity thereafter. Gosh!

Ordinary tearing of green card, Soyinka dey speak grammar undecided

He should just give it to me, I will tear it without uttering a word undecided

Tear the damn Green card grin

150 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by modath(f): 7:28am On Nov 13, 2016
modath:

Yeepa!! Oko oro!! cheesy , Jokes apart, Kongi nailed it.. The siamese twin, hunger & ignorance are the propellants of the nauseating & irascible outbursts that are needlessly & unceasingly propagated by these neophytes..

Seunmsg created an identical thread yesterday & it didn't go anywhere...

https://www.nairaland.com/3462010/wolexit-stands-wole-soyinka#50984371

Mynd44, lalasticlala. ...

2 Likes

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by dunkem21(m): 7:29am On Nov 13, 2016
NaijaMutant:

Ordinary tearing of green card, Soyinka dey speak grammar undecided

He should just give it to me, I will tear it without uttering a word undecided

Tear the damn Green card grin

cheesy

12 Likes

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by MalcoImX: 7:50am On Nov 13, 2016
Sweetguy25:
Hypocrite. You support a dictator and coupist Buhari and oppose Trump. Which is worse between a Trump presidency and a Buhari Presidency. Hypocrite
Trump's worse. Just imagine what Wailers would say were Buhari to bring his family into top government positions as Trump is planning to do. I remember a Wailer complaining this week that Zahra should leave Aso Rock and go find work; a Catch 22 for Buhari, cos should she have work immediately after her university, the father would be accused of influencing the situation while millions of graduates are roaming the streets for years.

6 Likes

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Chugavey(m): 7:54am On Nov 13, 2016
My prof, respect! Instead of confusing us, why not just go straight to the point "I'm not tearing my green card" period?! We are not surprised sir, Afonjaism is beyond what you can control.

131 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by morbeta(m): 8:18am On Nov 13, 2016
Oga Soyinka pls swallow your pride and change mouth. Abi you no be naija true born again? We are known for not fulfilling promises., Nothing do you. Baba Bubu still never bring down #1 to $1, come be your own wey be green card.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by onnenka: 8:23am On Nov 13, 2016
Yoruba. SMH

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Firefire(m): 8:23am On Nov 13, 2016
'Storytelling is based on the word, being an honorable person of integrity is based on your word'. - Jesse Williams.

Mr. Shoyinka, be a man of your words and safe the world all this grammatical jargons...

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Nobody: 8:42am On Nov 13, 2016
all dis long grammar wnt help...

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by BENZINA(m): 8:51am On Nov 13, 2016
Soyinka you see yourself turned to the world worst nobel, hmmm sorry for yasef.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Sweetguy25: 9:47am On Nov 13, 2016
MalcoImX:
Trump's worse. Just imagine what Wailers would say were Buhari to bring his family into top government positions as Trump is planning to do. I remember a Wailer complaining this week that Zahra should leave Aso Rock and go find work; a Catch 22 for Buhari, cos should she have work immediately after her university, the father would be accused of influencing the situation while millions of graduates are roaming the streets for years.

You really didn't make any sense. Was Buhari a coupist and dictator whose actions made Nigeria suffer?

11 Likes

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by ATERI(m): 9:58am On Nov 13, 2016
What on earth is Prof. Soyinka doing responding to these mannerless lunatics?

12 Likes

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Heavance(m): 10:01am On Nov 13, 2016
I read this in #MorganFreeman'sVoice as their white hair is almost same.......
This man just killed the electronic cowards who like ranting online as if their opinions ever counted. Will the people he referred to ever understand those English words he dropped?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by MalcoImX: 10:11am On Nov 13, 2016
Sweetguy25:

You really didn't make any sense. Was Buhari a coupist and dictator whose actions made Nigeria suffer?

The criminals you are supporting had a date with history. Charles Taylor was democratically elected just as your Trump and GEJ were.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Sweetguy25: 10:28am On Nov 13, 2016
MalcoImX:
The criminals you are supporting had a date with history. Charles Taylor was democratically elected just as your Trump and GEJ were.

Did Buhari commit a crime against Nigeria by removing a democratically elected government?

18 Likes

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Hiploko(m): 10:30am On Nov 13, 2016
ATERI:

What on earth is Prof. Soyinka doing responding to these mannerless lunatics?
are you sure you are oK? Who is truly mannerless between the poeple commenting and the old man who say he is a prof yet go about making motor park tout statements. He thinks America is Nigeria. Afonja gene runs in the blood and there is nothing education will do about it... 2 faced robot. A Dr in America promised to eat a bug if Trump wins and CNN showed him this morning eating the bug... When will Soyinka call the press and tear his green card? Lack of integrity is a worse form of corruption

89 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by rusher14: 10:38am On Nov 13, 2016
OLADD:
Soyinka, a man who often places himself on a pedestal he surely doesn't belong. This was the same man that threatened hell if MKO Abiola ever died in detention. Indeed, Abiola died in gaol but our professor couldn't do jack. He simply vanished into obscurity thereafter. Gosh!

A Nobel laureate on a pedestal he doesn't belong?

Let's say both of you pass to the great beyond today who would be remembered?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by ATERI(m): 10:47am On Nov 13, 2016
Hiploko:
are you sure you are oK? Who is truly mannerless between the poeple commenting and the old man who say he is a prof yet go about making motor park tout statements. He thinks America is Nigeria. Afonja gene runs in the blood and there is nothing education will do about it... 2 faced robot. A Dr in America promised to eat a bug if Trump wins and CNN showed him this morning eating the bug... When will Soyinka call the press and tear his green card? Lack of integrity is a worse form of corruption

Go and chat to fellow tribalists, ok?

8 Likes

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Hiploko(m): 10:50am On Nov 13, 2016
ATERI:

Go and chat to fellow tribalists, ok?

lol.. Funny dude... Did Prof say he will tear d card? A Dr( lower than a prof) ate a bug.

6 Likes

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by AllTheWayUp: 11:19am On Nov 13, 2016
grin grin

Soyinka is a mad man ----Afonjas and Abobakus can quote me anywhere.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by MalcoImX: 11:27am On Nov 13, 2016
Sweetguy25:

Did Buhari commit a crime against Nigeria by removing a democratically elected government?
Tell us the authorities that adjudicated on the case and the conviction.

2 Likes

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Sweetguy25: 12:03pm On Nov 13, 2016
MalcoImX:
Tell us the authorities that adjudicated on the case and the conviction.

How do you expect such a case to be adjudicated in a hopeless country like Nigeria?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Problem Is Ignorance : Soyinka Hits Back At Internet Trolls by Hiploko(m): 12:05pm On Nov 13, 2016
Sweetguy25:

How do you expect such a case to be adjudicated in a hopeless country like Nigeria?
Responding to that guy gives him some level of relevance..

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Corpse on the Couch - a murder mystery / AS E DEY Happen(a Pidgin Story) / Behold The Jewel Of My Heart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.