Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,821 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:12 AM

Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions (11379 Views)

Court Awards N5m To Ezuku Emmanuel Anenih Who Sued MTN For Illegal Deductions / Reverse Airtime Back To my Bank Account, I Want To Sue MTN / Appeal Court Awards 3M Plus Against MTN Over Unwanted Test Messages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by jstmee: 9:58pm On Nov 13, 2016
A former military governor of Kaduna State, Rtd. Colonel Abubakar Dangiwa Umar, is to sue the telecommunications giant, MTN, over unsolicited messages being sent to customers, and the fraudulent deductions from their accounts.

Speaking on Saturday, Umar said he briefed his lawyers to file the suit against MTN after he had complained to no avail over the problem, and despite assurances by the company that the practices will stop.

To prove his point, the former governor forwarded two of the latest unsolicited messages he received on Saturday, one of which subscribed him to a callertune with a charge of N50, with an option to opt out; and the to a package ‘Laugh Out Loud,’ also with a fee.

The first of Saturday’s messages he received reads: ““Yello, you have downloaded the Callertune <CHECK YOUR ALERT> by TK SWAG for N50.00. This tune expires on 2016-12-09. To delete the tune, send del0733736”

The second said: “Dear Customer, you have successfully subscribed to Laugh Out Loud and N50.00 deducted from your account. Your service will be renewed on 2016-11-18. To cancel, text STOP LOL to 55006. Enjoy!”
Umar stressed that the issue is not the N50 being deducted from his account, but that the practice has continued despite complaints.

He said it was fraudulent to deduct money from subscribers’ accounts without their consent, noting that if N50 is deducted from 70 million accounts, for instance, the tally is N3.5billion.

As a result, Umar said his suit against MTN will be on behalf of its 70million subscribers, and expressed the faith that the subscribers will be his witnesses in court.

http://saharareporters.com/2016/11/12/col-umar-sue-mtn-over-fraudulent-deductions-unsolicited-sms

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by mattyboy007(m): 10:03pm On Nov 13, 2016
I concur

Modify.... FTC.

Almst at d end of d yr...
Good tinz await u n i bfr d end of dis yr.
Dat admission & job, we mst get am bfr d end of dis yr IJN..

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by micfoley: 10:07pm On Nov 13, 2016
Seconded

22 Likes

Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by odiereke(m): 10:10pm On Nov 13, 2016
Supported.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by dustmalik01: 10:52pm On Nov 13, 2016
I hope he goes through with it, as this will surely teach them some good lesson.

5 Likes

Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by veekid(m): 9:26am On Nov 14, 2016

who ll sue nairaland for locking us out of the other room this early morning without any explanation?

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by Nobody: 9:26am On Nov 14, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by Debaddest(m): 9:26am On Nov 14, 2016
MTN are professional robbers

12 Likes

Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by NevetsIbot(m): 9:27am On Nov 14, 2016
He should. I still remember howthey deducted my 200 for callertunez that i ddnt apply for

6 Likes

Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by Dreal11247: 9:29am On Nov 14, 2016
He should equally sue them on my behalf, double the damage and give me my own share.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by Mosthandsomeboy(m): 9:29am On Nov 14, 2016
Because of 50 naira
Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by mekani(m): 9:31am On Nov 14, 2016
Mtn should be sue with immediate effect cos they are thieves.

2 Likes

Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by NevetsIbot(m): 9:32am On Nov 14, 2016
Mosthandsomeboy:
Because of 50 naira
50 naira multiplied by the millions of subscribers they steal from...
Imagine the figure na

14 Likes

Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by Dreal11247: 9:32am On Nov 14, 2016
Other networks should also be sued.

2 Likes

Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by prodiga: 9:32am On Nov 14, 2016
na wa for you o
Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by passionate88: 9:33am On Nov 14, 2016
Sharp guy
Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by Guyman02: 9:33am On Nov 14, 2016
I want to be a party to this suit, enough of this rubbish from MTN, at least Glo and Etisalat allow you to send a code to subscribe all by yourself while MTN subscribes you automatically and deduct from your airtime balance

Its getting worse these days as they have devised a new means of getting you to subscribe to what you dont know, as you are dialing your phone you will suddenly see a screen appear asking you to subscribe to Tips on Cholera for N50/week and without reading you click OK with the mindset that the screen will vanish without knowing you have been subscribed, there are people who are subscribed to up 10 VAS they never subscribed.

To check the services stealing your money Dial on MTN *123*5*1# select 2 and for services Dial *123*5*2# select 8

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by Thisis2raw(m): 9:34am On Nov 14, 2016
MTN is just an annoying network

3 Likes

Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by tsylars(m): 9:34am On Nov 14, 2016
I think i missed a trick, a while back i was charged 100naira by mtn for daily supply of fulani proverbs. a more prosecutable offense than the one done to the colonel.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by anny268(f): 9:36am On Nov 14, 2016
Please he should include me in the suit. I stopped recharging my MTN line because of unnecessary deductions. Very useless network

5 Likes

Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by godwin120alex: 9:37am On Nov 14, 2016
Very good. I will be there to testify cos i have been experiencing dis disturbance and unsolicited deduction too.

SUE THEM WELLA

4 Likes

Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by Nukualofa: 9:37am On Nov 14, 2016
Seun we desrve an apology for locking us out

7 Likes

Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by demolinka(m): 9:39am On Nov 14, 2016
Lez go dia! If d settlement make sense I go sue GLO and Etisalt

1 Like

Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by Horo(m): 9:39am On Nov 14, 2016
but the option to opt out is fully spell out
Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by phyllosilicate(m): 9:39am On Nov 14, 2016
would gladly be a witness
Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by eezeribe(m): 9:39am On Nov 14, 2016
OK
Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by ikotun1987(m): 9:40am On Nov 14, 2016
#100 was deducted from acc yesterday without requesting,pls include me I will testify
Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by gurunlocker: 9:43am On Nov 14, 2016
If I can sue one network, it will be that useless network called GLO.... they keep deducting my airtime every 3 days, 25,40,50,200..... and they won't even send me any message, I've complained and done everything they said, still those fuckers still deduct..

Just hate that snail network

1 Like

Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by flexingsly1804: 9:45am On Nov 14, 2016
I concur to d fullest. Dis r the type of rich ppl we need in d country

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions by HarmonyDee(f): 9:45am On Nov 14, 2016
Thank you sir! MTN must be punished ..daylight robbers,very annoying they steal from you and you are helpless

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

12.3m Subscribers Await SIM Linkage With NIN / 10 Ways Nigerian Telecom Providers Frustrate Nigerians Everyday / Wonders Of Fingerprint Technology

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.