Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,357 members, 7,800,719 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:04 AM

Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. (2804 Views)

HEAVEN : The Perfection Of Heaven - John MacArthur / Christianity; The Most Self Contradicting Religion / Compatibility of "Foolishness" and Christianity: The Irony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. by beautyoftheLord: 2:41pm On Nov 17, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

its better to ignore the OP and quote verses unrelated to the discussion to make yourself feel better than facing the op

I repeat, it's foolish to you dear. But I understand.
Re: Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. by LiberaDeus: 3:11pm On Nov 17, 2016
beautyoftheLord:
This is a classic example of 1 corinthians 2:14-15. The worldly person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolish to him and he is not able to understand them because they are to be spiritually discerned. The Spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by No One. So true Christians ignore the o. p. He is carnal minded and can never, I repeat never understand anything. O. P quit wasting your time, God is and will always be higher than you. You can never understand his ways until the hour you are called into light. Only His true children do, cause He is their Father. Clearly He is not your father, so till your waking moment every move and act of a true Christian will be stupid to you. Some of us understand your dilemma. High blood pressure is real. Just go about your life.

There are verses like that in the Quran talking about how unbelievers are blinded and can't see the light. In Buddhism we also have the unenlightened.

In every religion, the followers are praised as chosen people, people with the revelation of god, a lucky people etc

With such logic, truth can never be determined .

You can continue covering your ears and eyes and deluding yourself to believe that the imaginary romantic relationship you have with your loving powerful great supreme creator is a proof of his existence.

In the end you can create an emotional bond with anyone or anything just like the whole world does with all its gods. But when it's time to claim reality you must bring tangible proof.

Every move and act of the Christian in line with his blind faith is stupid for the rational because it is stupid.

The difference between the christian and the non christian is that the Christian believes in an anticlimax where his/her stupidity will be shown to be wise at the end of days while the non christian sees the stupidity as plain stupidity nothing more nothing less, no anticlimax, no eternal vindication of stupidity, no chariots in the sky coming to save Christians from a fallen world.

In the end of it all, Christianity will die a normal death and humanity will go on, study of Christianity will be like the study of Latin, study of dinosaurs, study of Pompeii etc. It will studied like a relic cause that's what it will be in 300 years time. Other religions have come before yours and they all went the same way, even those that lasted way longer than Christianity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. by Nobody: 5:17pm On Nov 17, 2016
beautyoftheLord:
This is a classic example of 1 corinthians 2:14-15. The worldly person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolish to him and he is not able to understand them because they are to be spiritually discerned. The Spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by No One. So true Christians ignore the o. p. He is carnal minded and can never, I repeat never understand anything. O. P quit wasting your time, God is and will always be higher than you. You can never understand his ways until the hour you are called into light. Only His true children do, cause He is their Father. Clearly He is not your father, so till your waking moment every move and act of a true Christian will be stupid to you. Some of us understand your dilemma. High blood pressure is real. Just go about your life.

Your comment is a classic example of a religious book modulating the thinking of a person and engineering the way in which that person perceives reality.

What you are saying is no different from what a muslim would say just to justify his belief.

What you typed has nothing to do with my original post. You just posted verses of the scripture that don't in anyway relate to the points I made.

To be honest, I really don't understand you guys. I don't know if it's deliberate dishonesty or gross intellectual ineptitude, but whatever it is, I frankly wouldn't want to live in a world where majority of the people think the way people like you do, despite how far humanity has come, and despite the mountain of knowledge that has been documented about our current world, both it's history and the way it works, because that would pose a big problem to the efficient growth and progress of society.

Why do you circumvent reason, when having discussions on important issues? Why do you allow a book dictate 100% of your thinking? Why do you intentionally choose to not critically appraise issues objectively? Why are you people like this? Seriously, religion is synonymous with mental illness.

2 Likes

Re: Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. by beautyoftheLord: 5:19pm On Nov 17, 2016
LiberaDeus:

There are verses like that in the Quran talking about how unbelievers are blinded and can't see the light. In Buddhism we also have the unenlightened.

In every religion, the followers are praised as chosen people, people with the revelation of god, a lucky people etc

With such logic, truth can never be determined .

You can continue covering your ears and eyes and deluding yourself to believe that the imaginary romantic relationship you have with your loving powerful great supreme creator is a proof of his existence.

In the end you can create an emotional bond with anyone or anything just like the whole world does with all its gods. But when it's time to claim reality you must bring tangible proof.

Every move and act of the Christian in line with his blind faith is stupid for the rational because it is stupid.

The difference between the christian and the non christian is that the Christian believes in an anticlimax where his/her stupidity will be shown to be wise at the end of days while the non christian sees the stupidity as plain stupidity nothing more nothing less, no anticlimax, no eternal vindication of stupidity, no chariots in the sky coming to save Christians from a fallen world.

In the end of it all, Christianity will die a normal death and humanity will go on, study of Christianity will be like the study of Latin, study of dinosaurs, study of Pompeii etc. It will studied like a relic cause that's what it will be in 300 years time. Other religions have come before yours and they all went the same way, even those that lasted way longer than Christianity.

See what I mean? You guys just keep on proving my point. I will say it again. It is Foolish to You. If it really bothers you, don't relate with any Christian, it makes your burden lighter.
Re: Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. by beautyoftheLord: 5:24pm On Nov 17, 2016
GrizzlyBear:

Your comment is a classic example of a religious book modulating the thinking of a person and engineering the way in which that person perceives reality.

What you are saying is no different from what a muslim would say just to justify his belief.

What you typed has nothing to do with my original post. You just posted verses of the scripture that don't in anyway relate to the points I made.

To be honest, I really don't understand you guys. I don't know if it's deliberate dishonesty or gross intellectual ineptitude, but whatever it is, I frankly wouldn't want to live in a world where majority of the people think the way people like you do, despite how far humanity has come, and despite the mountain of knowledge that has been documented about our current world, both it's history and the way it works, because that would pose a big problem to the efficient growth and progress of society.

Why do you circumvent reason, when having discussions on important issues? Why do you allow a book dictate 100% of your thinking? Why do you intentionally choose to not critically appraise issues objectively? Why are you people like this? Seriously, religion is synonymous with mental illness.

You are trying to understand some certain things they do. You have come up with words to best describe the way they behave. And I am telling you, you will never be able to decipher or fully understand it. That's why it's "folly " to you, whatever word you want to use - narcissm, apathy, selfish?? What does your caption depict. Christianity, the bla bla bla. You have already judged, then you come under the guise that you don't understand the behaviour. You can't understand them. It's for the spiritually discerned to understand the way they behave because be it selfish, or narcissistic to you, you still will never get the right answer you are looking for on nairaland. Till you see the light, if you do, great, if you don't, too bad.
Re: Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. by Nobody: 5:27pm On Nov 17, 2016
beautyoftheLord:

See what I mean? You guys just keep on proving my point. I will say it again. It is Foolish to You. If it really bothers you, don't relate with any Christian, it makes your burden lighter.

Anyone can wake up tomorrow and believe any outrageously errant thing he wants. And such individual could also defend such belief the same way you are doing yours. He could say that his belief is foolish to anyone that tries to oppose what he believes, but that wouldn't make his belief valid.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. by beautyoftheLord: 5:37pm On Nov 17, 2016
GrizzlyBear:

Anyone can wake up tomorrow and believe any outrageously errant thing he wants. And such individual could also defend such belief the same way you are doing yours. He could say that his belief is foolish to anyone that tries to oppose what he believes, but that wouldn't make his belief valid.

You know, I was once like you. And I am confident telling you, till you see the light. If you never, too bad. Point of correction. I never said so, the Bible did. It will continue to be invalid to you till that day. My advice from experience, stop trying to understand some certain things cause you never will.
Re: Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. by Nobody: 5:41pm On Nov 17, 2016
beautyoftheLord:

You know, I was once like you. And I am confident telling you, till you see the light. If you never, too bad. Point of correction. I never said so, the Bible did. It will continue to be invalid to you till that day. My advice from experience, stop trying to understand some certain things cause you never will.

*Sigh.
Re: Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. by beautyoftheLord: 5:57pm On Nov 17, 2016
GrizzlyBear:

*Sigh.

smiley wink kiss
Re: Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. by LiberaDeus: 6:35pm On Nov 17, 2016
beautyoftheLord:

It is foolish because it is foolish period.
Don't try and pretend that under the foolishness is a whole new world that only the chosen fools can see.

beautyoftheLord:

You were never like anyone. Stop deceiving yourself
That's like me saying I was once an adult but now I have seen the light in childishness that's why I have shunned adulthood.

We can understand and predict stupidity but we will never share in it again.

Talking about understanding, please go to a psychiatric hospital and see that you can never understand insanity.

No matter how hard you try you can never know what it feels like to be stark naked in ojuelegeba bridge and still feel confident. We can predict insane behavior but we can never share in its thrills.

The funny thing is that all freethinkers have been as delusional as you are and we actually can remember how it felt to be like you.

The difference between us is that we chose to take a detour in the mental prison of religion. We took the detour of reason.

While you guys keep ignoring reason even though it keeps tugging at your brain.

We took that detour and found freedom and you have the audacity to tell us that we don't understand while we actually broke away from the prison that you are currently serving a sentence in.

But unlike normal prisoners, you happen to love your incarceration. Enjoy it while it lasts.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. by Princewell2012(m): 6:48pm On Nov 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:
OP on another thread you created I adviced all Christians to desist from responding to you or your comments and I will do same here.

when a confused individual decides to open a thread about ones beliefs and begins by comparing it with all sorts of nonsense like he is all wise and all knowing it reeks of absurdity.

I WISH TO ENCOURAGE MY BRETHREN TO KINDLY IGNORE THIS GUY AND HIS THREADS FROM NOW HENCEFORTH. HE DOES NOT WISH TO KNOW THE TRUTH NEITHER DOES HE WISH TO LISTEN. ALL HE WANTS IS AN OBJECT OF RIDICULE.

YOU MAY BE ITCHING TO RESPOND TO HIS COMMENTS BUT LISTEN TO THE WORD OF GOD. HE SAYS ANYONE WHO CAN BRING HIS TONGUE UNDER CONTROL HAS TAKEN CONTROL OF THE WHOLE BODY...

REFRAIN FROM HONOURING HIM WITH ANY FORM OF RESPONSE.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL AS YOU ADHERE.

Am also a Christian.

But there is an elements of truth in what he was saying, and it was you people that make atheist to talk to God any how. Here he raised a point why don't you disprove it, rather than attacking him. Did you realizes that most of the points he raises was actually the character of Jesus. He loves people and a very compassionate person. But today Christians were only after theirselves and which was the very point he made. Did you realized that todays Christians are very very selfish. After they have paid their tithes and offering. To your own tents oh Israel.

Now listen am a security officer, i have worked and have been posted to different locations but this year i was posted to a church at somewhere in Lagos. And this my first Time to work with so called men of God, hmmm God is my witness in what am saying, this people are stingy, wicked, selfish sets of people i have ever worked with in my entire life.

Believe me if not that i was born in a Christian family, tested and also experienced Christ in my life before, and also reads the bible myself, hmmm believe me, i would have become an atheist long ago.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. by hopefulLandlord: 7:03pm On Nov 17, 2016
this thread isn't DOA like Naijadeyhia wanted
Re: Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. by Nobody: 7:37pm On Nov 17, 2016
hopefulLandlord:
this thread isn't DOA like Naijadeyhia wanted

Eeya President of the Naijadeyhia fan club. Keep up the good work smiley
Re: Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. by hopefulLandlord: 7:45pm On Nov 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:
you can call me that if it helps your fart smell good grin
Re: Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. by Nobody: 8:12pm On Nov 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:

I hope you read few of the responses from your fellow christians? It seems your evasive tactics didn't work. Lol.

Dishonesty is never the path to illumination. Denial is never the route to intellectual freedom.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. by beautyoftheLord: 8:50pm On Nov 17, 2016
LiberaDeus:

It is foolish because it is foolish period.
Don't try and pretend that under the foolishness is a whole new world that only the chosen fools can see.

You were never like anyone. Stop deceiving yourself
That's like me saying I was once an adult but now I have seen the light in childishness that's why I have shunned adulthood.

We can understand and predict stupidity but we will never share in it again.

Talking about understanding, please go to a psychiatric hospital and see that you can never understand insanity.

No matter how hard you try you can never know what it feels like to be stark naked in ojuelegeba bridge and still feel confident. We can predict insane behavior but we can never share in its thrills.

The funny thing is that all freethinkers have been as delusional as you are and we actually can remember how it felt to be like you.

The difference between us is that we chose to take a detour in the mental prison of religion. We took the detour of reason.

While you guys keep ignoring reason even though it keeps tugging at your brain.

We took that detour and found freedom and you have the audacity to tell us that we don't understand while we actually broke away from the prison that you are currently serving a sentence in.

But unlike normal prisoners, you happen to love your incarceration. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Hmmmmm! IT IS FOOLISH TO YOU. Oh! Your frustration, I can feel it. The exasperation, it must be exhausting for you. But absolutely no need getting yourself all worked up. You can never understand till you see the light. For now you dwell in darkness. The father of this world is your father. Have you ever seen a case were darkness over shadows light? Never! No matter how dim, the light must still glow. But hold on, what business has light got to do with darkness? Absolutely nothing. IT IS FOOLISH TO YOU and will remain FOOLISH.
Re: Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. by LiberaDeus: 9:08pm On Nov 17, 2016
beautyoftheLord:

Hmmmmm! IT IS FOOLISH TO YOU. Oh! Your frustration, I can feel it. The exasperation, it must be exhausting for you. But absolutely no need getting yourself all worked up. You can never understand till you see the light. For now you dwell in darkness. The father of this world is your father. Have you ever seen a case were darkness over shadows light? Never! No matter how dim, the light must still glow. But hold on, what business has light got to do with darkness? Absolutely nothing. IT IS FOOLISH TO YOU and will remain FOOLISH.

Oh yes you can feel my exasperation. I am really exasperated.

Have you worked in a nursery school before and tried to ensure the kids maintain order, try that and know what exasperation is. You christards are like kindergarten kids, we keep showing you the way but you prefer the folly of your childish ways . We have to repeat the same thing over and over again but still it doesn't sink into your dense brains.

I definitely am blind to the light of insanity, I used to see it but I don't want it again.

The way you christards talk its as if you guys have a special spiritual code that only you guys understand , but you still end up referencing that 4000 year old book with 66 sub books.

You still end up referencing the verses in that book. In the end it's nothing special. But am sure you will use the normal excuse of having spiritual insight to understand the archaic verses even though ironically the verses are still written in plain human language and logical constructs.

Don't worry you also need spiritual insight to understand why 2 + 2 is equal to 8. If you don't have the spiritual insight you will never see how 2 and 2 add up to 8, believe first and you will have the insight.
Idiotic scam

I don't believe in your disgusting ancient tribal Jewish deity and you think I would believe in his adversary.
Food for thought, do you know jews don't believe Satan is God's enemy but only a worker for god that tempts people. If you had sense you would read the OT and see that Satan was never an enemy but often appeared before god to get mission briefings. But you can't understand that because you are a Christian, your religion is plagiarized from Judaism.

So take your disgusting Yahweh and his horrible enemy Shaitan or Satan and shove it up your deluded ass.

Your religion will always remain the darkness, it thrives on blind faith. Please is blindness not synonymous to the dark.

Christianity is foolish to me cause the proponents adore blindness and stupidity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. by Nobody: 8:52am On Nov 20, 2016
LiberaDeus:

Have you worked in a nursery school before and tried to ensure the kids maintain order, try that and know what exasperation is. You christards are like kindergarten kids, we keep showing you the way but you prefer the folly of your childish ways . We have to repeat the same thing over and over again but still it doesn't sink into your dense brains.

I definitely am blind to the light of insanity, I used to see it but I don't want it again.

The way you christards talk its as if you guys have a special spiritual code that only you guys understand , but you still end up referencing that 4000 year old book with 66 sub books.

You still end up referencing the verses in that book. In the end it's nothing special. But am sure you will use the normal excuse of having spiritual insight to understand the archaic verses even though ironically the verses are still written in plain human language and logical constructs.

Don't worry you also need spiritual insight to understand why 2 + 2 is equal to 8. If you don't have the spiritual insight you will never see how 2 and 2 add up to 8, believe first and you will have the insight.
Idiotic scam

I don't believe in your disgusting ancient tribal Jewish deity and you think I would believe in his adversary.
Food for thought, do you know jews don't believe Satan is God's enemy but only a worker for god that tempts people. If you had sense you would read the OT and see that Satan was never an enemy but often appeared before god to get mission briefings. But you can't understand that because you are a Christian, your religion is plagiarized from Judaism.

So take your disgusting Yahweh and his horrible enemy Shaitan or Satan and shove it up your deluded ass.

Your religion will always remain the darkness, it thrives on blind faith. Please is blindness not synonymous to the dark.

Christianity is foolish to me cause the proponents adore blindness and stupidity.

Cosign.
Re: Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. by hopefulLandlord: 3:38am On Nov 30, 2016
LiberaDeus:

Idiotic scam

agreed!
Re: Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. by oaroloye(m): 7:52am On Apr 27, 2017
Narcissism is defined as an excessive obsession with one's self. Narcissism allows people to view themselves as more important than everyone else. In the mind of a narcissist, the only thing that matters is himself. His needs come first. Narcissists tend to perceive their world as revolving around them.

[[quote]b]Apathy[/b] is the inability to care about the suffering of other human beings. It's an emotional detachment from the pain of others. An apathetic person, is inclined to callous indifference towards the suffering of fellow humans.

Going by the definition of the above terms, how does it apply to Christianity? I'll explain.

How does Christianity perfect or promote Apathy?
Say for instance, a christian is involved in an accident that claims the life of everyone involved, while he escapes without a scratch. What's the common immediate reaction of any christian to this? What the average christian would do, is to immediately kneel down on the floor, raise his hands to the clouds, and give God thanks for saving him from the accident. Then the next sunday, he'd go to a church to give a testimony. This scenario doesn't strike as egregious at first glance, but vetting it critically, what you'd realize in such an act, is extreme selfishness and detachment from the suffering and pain of others.

Some christians might disagree with me at the above paragraph, but let me expatiate further.
Just imagine you and members of your family were having dinner one evening and the house suddenly collapsed, killing everyone but yourself. If you make it out alive and realize that everyone was dead, what would be your immediate response? Would you be transfixed in complete numbing agony as a result of the lives of your family members that has been lost, or would you raise your hands in the air to glorify God? Would you go to a church the next sunday with gifts for the pastor, to give a testimony celebrating your miraculous escape from greedy hands of death?

You see, everyone would do the former. This is because we have all developed empathy towards our family members. We love and care about them, and we most times put their needs ahead of ours. Imagine if we felt this way towards other people? Wouldn't our world be a better place? But what religions like christianity do is that they preclude the possibility of this. The reason why anyone would express elated gratitude for being alive, despite the gruesome death of other people, is simply because he doesn't feel empathy for those people that died. Those who have lost family members that were dear to them would agree with me that when you lose someone, you'd feel so deeply sorrowful that you'd wish they were alive and you were the one that died. You'd wish you could take their place. That's empathy, but religion prevents us from feeling this way towards others.

Just imagine the level of apathy or lack of empathy that it would take for someone to walk to the altar of a church, with a ram, or an envelope, or car key in hand, to give a testimony for surviving an accident that claimed the life of 20 other people. I mean, this is an overt example of callousness and selfishness. What is such person actually thanking God for? That God saved his life and allowed 20 other innocent people to die? Like, is the life of this person more important than the life of those that died?

The things about religion, christianity and islam in particular, is that it attenuates compassion and discourages empathy.
We have heard stories of plane crashes and natural disasters where all the people involved lost their lives and one only person survived, and we have seen religious people use such scenario to paint God as merciful and loving. Isn't this a cause for serious concern? That someone would leave out the pain and suffering and death of other humans, and accentuate the survival of one? Not only is this delusional, but it is also morally reprehensible.

We all heard about the earthquake in Haiti that caused the death of thousands of people and destruction of houses and property, and we all witnessed christians detach themselves from this immense, unprecedented havoc and death, by celebrating the fact that a statue of Jesus wasn't destroyed. Isn't this behavior a cause for alarm?

Religion erodes compassion. It allows presumably normal, empathic people to develop indifference towards the suffering of other humans by making excuses for their God.
One of the common rubric christians use to exonerate God from death of fellow humans, is by confidently asserting that there was a reason for the occurrence of such calamity. Or some might even take their delusion further by saying that those who died, died as a result of their sins, and that their death was punishment. I mean, not only are these ideas stupid, they are extraordinarily callous. They are nothing more than the refusal to genuinely connect with the suffering of other human beings.

Christianity is actually the perfection of Narcissism. It allows people to fixate only on themselves, and celebrate the good in their lives, while ignoring the suffering of other people. Say for instance a christian prays to God for a promotion, and luckly for him, he gets promoted after few weeks of praying. Such christian would invariably begin to thank God for his goodness in his life, and then use that experience to reinforce his believe that God is good. But what this individual fails to realize or acknowledge, is that at the very moment when he was praying for a promotion, someone else was praying for his child to survive from a terminal illness, or for food to eat, and such person's prayer wasn't answered.

I mean, to think that God is good for promoting you to assistant manager, or providing money to buy a new house on banana island, but failing to save a dying child or provide food for a starving person, is to fail to reason sincerely, or care sufficiently about the suffering of other humans.
Re: Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. by orisa37: 10:11am On Apr 27, 2017
Narcissism is defined as an excessive obsession with one's self. Narcissism allows people to view themselves as more important than everyone else. In the mind of a narcissist, the only thing that matters is himself. His needs come first. Narcissists tend to perceive their world as revolving around them.

Apathy is the inability to care about the suffering of other human beings. It's an emotional detachment from the pain of others. An apathetic person, is inclined to callous indifference towards the suffering of fellow humans.

Going by the definition of the above terms, how does it apply to Christianity? I'll explain.

How does Christianity perfect or promote Apathy?
Say for instance, a christian is involved in an accident that claims the life of everyone involved, while he escapes without a scratch. What's the common immediate reaction of any christian to this? What the average christian would do, is to immediately kneel down on the floor, raise his hands to the clouds, and give God thanks for saving him from the accident. Then the next sunday, he'd go to a church to give a testimony. This scenario doesn't strike as egregious at first glance, but vetting it critically, what you'd realize in such an act, is extreme selfishness and detachment from the suffering and pain of others.

Some christians might disagree with me at the above paragraph, but let me expatiate further.
Just imagine you and members of your family were having dinner one evening and the house suddenly collapsed, killing everyone but yourself. If you make it out alive and realize that everyone was dead, what would be your immediate response? Would you be transfixed in complete numbing agony as a result of the lives of your family members that has been lost, or would you raise your hands in the air to glorify God? Would you go to a church the next sunday with gifts for the pastor, to give a testimony celebrating your miraculous escape from greedy hands of death?

You see, everyone would do the former. This is because we have all developed empathy towards our family members. We love and care about them, and we most times put their needs ahead of ours. Imagine if we felt this way towards other people? Wouldn't our world be a better place? But what religions like christianity do is that they preclude the possibility of this. The reason why anyone would express elated gratitude for being alive, despite the gruesome death of other people, is simply because he doesn't feel empathy for those people that died. Those who have lost family members that were dear to them would agree with me that when you lose someone, you'd feel so deeply sorrowful that you'd wish they were alive and you were the one that died. You'd wish you could take their place. That's empathy, but religion prevents us from feeling this way towards others.

Just imagine the level of apathy or lack of empathy that it would take for someone to walk to the altar of a church, with a ram, or an envelope, or car key in hand, to give a testimony for surviving an accident that claimed the life of 20 other people. I mean, this is an overt example of callousness and selfishness. What is such person actually thanking God for? That God saved his life and allowed 20 other innocent people to die? Like, is the life of this person more important than the life of those that died?

The things about religion, christianity and islam in particular, is that it attenuates compassion and discourages empathy.
We have heard stories of plane crashes and natural disasters where all the people involved lost their lives and one only person survived, and we have seen religious people use such scenario to paint God as merciful and loving. Isn't this a cause for serious concern? That someone would leave out the pain and suffering and death of other humans, and accentuate the survival of one? Not only is this delusional, but it is also morally reprehensible.

We all heard about the earthquake in Haiti that caused the death of thousands of people and destruction of houses and property, and we all witnessed christians detach themselves from this immense, unprecedented havoc and death, by celebrating the fact that a statue of Jesus wasn't destroyed. Isn't this behavior a cause for alarm?

Religion erodes compassion. It allows presumably normal, empathic people to develop indifference towards the suffering of other humans by making excuses for their God.
One of the common rubric christians use to exonerate God from death of fellow humans, is by confidently asserting that there was a reason for the occurrence of such calamity. Or some might even take their delusion further by saying that those who died, died as a result of their sins, and that their death was punishment. I mean, not only are these ideas stupid, they are extraordinarily callous. They are nothing more than the refusal to genuinely connect with the suffering of other human beings.

Christianity is actually the perfection of Narcissism. It allows people to fixate only on themselves, and celebrate the good in their lives, while ignoring the suffering of other people. Say for instance a christian prays to God for a promotion, and luckly for him, he gets promoted after few weeks of praying. Such christian would invariably begin to thank God for his goodness in his life, and then use that experience to reinforce his believe that God is good. But what this individual fails to realize or acknowledge, is that at the very moment when he was praying for a promotion, someone else was praying for his child to survive from a terminal illness, or for food to eat, and such person's prayer wasn't answered.

I mean, to think that God is good for promoting you to assistant manager, or providing money to buy a new house on banana island, but failing to save a dying child or provide food for a starving person, is to fail to reason sincerely, or care sufficiently about the suffering of other humans.

Christianity seeks to Perfect Holiness and Righteousness, the exact opposite of narcissism and Selfishness. You should know these languages before you criticise them.
Re: Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. by luvmijeje(f): 10:45am On Apr 27, 2017
This is a terrible thread. The OP based the whole long article on the following:

There's no group or organization who has visited the sick, the imprisoned, the homeless, the orphanage home as Christians.

Because of testimonies you cast an aspersions on Christians. God you're indeed patient.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Encounter With Jesus Christ And Conversion To Christianity:part2 / Africa's Wealthiest Pastors Are Nigerians. / We Laid The Foundation For Boko Haram –Isa El Buba [pic]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.