Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,305 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:08 AM

Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar (40433 Views)

Ahmad Ibn Taymiyyah: The Tortured Scholar / Understanding The Verse Of "Beating One's Wife" / Having Sex With Your Wife (islamic Teaching) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by 360frolic(m): 2:37pm On Nov 14, 2016
Well known for his tough lectures, popular Islamic scholar and preacher, Sheik Muyideen Bello is at it again.

Bello has said a Muslim man will be doing himself more harm by marrying just one wife, but instead he will advise such a man to start with two. He made this known in one of his lectures titled Legal Marriage.

He said: “Allah said a man should marry any kind of woman he likes. As a man, if you want to marry a fair-complexioned or dark woman, marry her. Allah said we should start from two women. I know women will not like to hear this. If you have to marry, start with two women, which is what the Quran says. The Yorubas have a saying that a man with one woman isn’t a real man. For instance if you are married to one wife and she over-salts your food, you have just one wife. You don’t have a choice than to eat the food or buy food outside.

“I have received so many messages from people that why should I encourage polygamy. I tell them, is it me encouraging polygamy? Allah said you should marry two, three, four. Allah said if as a man you know you can’t take care of them, then marry one. Then if you are a me and my wife kind of man, the implications are too many. As Muslims, four women is the maximum a man can have, have two living with you then if you have two houses outside, you put the other two there. The implications in marrying just one wife are too many.”

http://www.newshelm.com/2016/11/why-it-is-dangerous-for-muslim-to-marry.html

cc lalasticlala

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 5:54pm On Nov 16, 2016
His opinion sha. I have no intention of marrying two wives. One is more than enough. What am I getting from a second one? Yellow, green, blue, red... woman is woman.

58 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 8:20pm On Nov 16, 2016
Farmerforlife:
His opinion sha. I have no intention of marrying two wives. One is more than enough. What am I getting from a second one? Yellow, green, blue, red... woman is woman.

Lol, neither do i have such intention, although some Yorubas(excluding hypocritical Christians) see it as a sign of weakness on the part of the man, meaning he is not capable of putting the polygamous home in order .

10 Likes

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Empiree: 8:36pm On Nov 16, 2016
^^^

It is always like "I dont have intention" in the beginning but down the lane, things start to look different and you end up marrying 4. Abeg, too many women out there and them no get husband. Marry'em. Ko si oun to fi n se'yan.

Olohun ni ka ma bi si ka si ma re si. One woman may be reluctant to bear more than 2 children and if you want more, OBVIOUSLY, that's a cross road. Therefore, you are left with no choice but to marry second especially if you are okay economically.

Abeg, bring me second wife. Look at Europe, it's becoming islamic cus muslim immigrants dont give a fig leaf about so called "family planning". Them just having islamic babies

Help Yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efpbZXQUfA4

9 Likes

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 9:07pm On Nov 16, 2016
Empiree:
^^^

It is always like "I dont have intention" in the beginning but down the lane, things start to look different and you end up marrying 4. Abeg, too many women out there and them no get husband. Marry'em. Ko si oun to fi n se'yan.

Olohun ni ka ma bi si ka si ma re si. One woman may be reluctant to bear more than 2 children and if you want more, OBVIOUSLY, that's a cross road. Therefore, you are left with no choice but to marry second especially if you are okay economically.

Abeg, bring me second wife. Look at Europe, it's becoming islamic cus muslim immigrants dont give a fig leaf about so called "family planning". Them just having islamic babies

Really, its the lifestyle that I'm used to(i.e monogamous home), my great grand father up to my Dad all had 1 wife, and this is what I grew up getting used to...

You need a second wife? grin

Help Yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efpbZXQUfA4

Hmm.....the video is quite eenlightening, really the Christians are disturbed about the fertility rate of Muslims, that was how i watched one, who used Turkey as a case study how Islam uprooted Christianity from Turkey in its totality, a place where Christianity thrived for centuries, a place where paul came from.

2 Likes

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 9:21pm On Nov 16, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Really, its the lifestyle that I'm used to(i.e monogamous home), my great grand father up to my Dad all had 1 wife, and this is what I grew up getting used to...

Hmm.....the video is quite eenlightening, really the Christians are disturbed about the fertility rate of Muslims, that was how i watched one, who used Turkey as a case study how Islam uptooted Christianity from Turkey in its totally, a place where Christianity thrived for centuries, a place where paul came from.

The thing is, fertility rate does not depend on the number of wives one marries. It depends on the number of married women of child bearing age, regardless of whether their husbands have only one or four. Since Muslim women are like the proverbial 'hot cake' and very rarely stay unmarried for long, marrying 2 or 3 or 4 will only make it harder for other Muslim men to get married, but will not increase birth rates. Whether the ummah is increased by my children, or my Muslim brother's children is not important.

@Empiree, I really have no intention, and barring some really extraordinary circumstance, like my having to live away from my wife, or some such unlikely situation, I will continue having no intention, insha Allah. Marriage is never a bed of roses.

7 Likes

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Empiree: 9:27pm On Nov 16, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Time to turn the tide. Mine was EXACT opposite and I am used to it cheesy My high school classmate married 2 wives at 25 despite his low income and they are so happy. I can tell from their faces everyday.

Hmm.....the video is quite eenlightening, really the Christians are disturbed about the fertility rate of Muslims, that was how i watched one, who used Turkey as a case study how Islam uptooted Christianity from Turkey in its totally, a place where Christianity thrived for centuries, a place where paul came from.
They get scared by citing Turkey as typical example all the time. I mean Nigerian christians especially those in christian section. They warned against that but unfortunately, this is irreversible.

2 Likes

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Empiree: 9:47pm On Nov 16, 2016
Farmerforlife:

The thing is, fertility rate does not depend on the number of wives one marries. It depends on the number of married women of child bearing age, regardless of whether their husbands have only one or four. Since Muslim women are like the proverbial 'hot cake' and very rarely stay unmarried for long, marrying 2 or 3 or 4 will only make it harder for other Muslim men to get married, but will not increase birth rates. Whether the ummah is increased by my children, or my Muslim brother's children is not important.
Bolded, really?. We got bunch of women out there and they dont have to be muslim faah. Some are willing to revert while some would keep their religion but may abide by your wishes as husband. Indeed it is not obligatory but condition may eventually push you towards polygamy. Besides, you may eventually and indirectly end up taking care of women you are not married to. That's true talk. I did this and I am still pissed off grin grin grin grin grin The thing pained me so much

@Empi.ree, I really have no intention, and barring some really extraordinary circumstance, like my having to live away from my wife, or some such unlikely situation, I will continue having no intention, insha Allah. Marriage is never a bed of roses.
Well, your choice at the moment. But we shall be waiting right here for your invitation for 2nd Nikkah cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 10:09pm On Nov 16, 2016
Empiree:
Bolded, really?. We got bunch of women out there and they dont have to be muslim faah. Some are willing to revert while some would keep their religion but may abide by your wishes as husband. Indeed it is not obligatory but condition may eventually push you towards polygamy. Besides, you may eventually and indirectly end up taking care of women you are not married to. That's true talk. I did this and I am still pissed off grin grin grin grin grin The thing pained me so much

I could never marry a non-Muslimah, even if she reverted for that reason. I can only marry a very knowledgeable, convinced Muslimah. I read a thread recently about a Muslim man who complained to the court that his Christian wife had taken their kids to church without his knowledge. When I die, I want my kids to pray for Allah to bestow His Mercy on me, not to be committing shirk and increasing my punishment inside the grave. Look at all these Muslim politicians that have married non-Muslim wives. How many of them are practising Muslims? Or their kids? Please dont even consider such. Remember that you are not only marrying a wife, you are marrying a future mother and role model.

There is nothing wrong with taking care of a woman that one is not married to. The trick is to keep it formal and restrict contact. Now that I am married, my wife is the go-between. Safer that way.

Empiree:

Well, your choice at the moment. But we shall be waiting right here for your invitation for 2nd Nikkah cheesy

Dont hold your breath sir.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Empiree: 10:20pm On Nov 16, 2016
Farmerforlife:

I could never marry a non-Muslimah, even if she reverted for that reason. I can only marry a very knowledgeable, convinced Muslimah. I read a thread recently about a Muslim man who complained to the court that his Christian wife had taken their kids to church without his knowledge. When I die, I want my kids to pray for Allah to bestow His Mercy on me, not to be committing shirk and increasing my punishment inside the grave. Look at all these Muslim politicians that have married non-Muslim wives. How many of them are practising Muslims? Or their kids? Please dont even consider such. Remember that you are not only marrying a wife, you are marrying a future mother and role model.

There is nothing wrong with taking care of a woman that one is not married to. The trick is to keep it formal and restrict contact. Now that I am married, my wife is the go-between. Safer that way.

I hear you. There is ALWAYS TWO SIDES of something. But it is not always the way you described though. But definitely, i know what you mean. It is real.
Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 11:07pm On Nov 16, 2016
Akhees, let's always put in mind in wanting to marry more than one wife for Allaah's sake. I also before UNfancy marrying more than one wife, but the SUNNAH I realise the benefits, I gave it a thought that if Allaah wills it, I'll marry more than one. This our zamani, there are many divorcees, widows, women who have no suitors(maybe bcuz of one defect or another). We should endeavour and do it, for sunnah. And most people especially the kuffar and our sisters who are ignorant of the 1-4 wives, think it is all about the sexual gratification, I can say that, it is not all about that, some brothers are in it for Allaah's sake, while majority are in it for IT.

LOL, on a lighter note, some people use to say that a man with a wife is getting there, a man with 2 wives, is getting_getting there, a man with 3 don dey reach, a man with 4..done ARRIVE. If the one wife dey do her menses indirectly the hubby dey do menses too, so advantages dey in more dan 1 wife and vice versa, and when HUBBY dey in the mood , thus advantages of been a FOUR STAR GENERAL...(o_o)

KB, mk u be 4 star general o!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 11:09pm On Nov 16, 2016
Empiree:
Time to turn the tide. Mine was EXACT opposite and I am used to it cheesy My high school classmate married 2 wives at 25 despite his low income and they are so happy. I can tell from their faces everyday.

They get scared by citing Turkey as typical example all the time. I mean Nigerian christians especially those in christian section. They warned against that but unfortunately, this is irreversible.

I just dey feel 'EMPIREE' these days o LOL. May Allaah make you, I and all of us better on the right path, ameen.

4 Likes

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 11:19pm On Nov 16, 2016
Farmerforlife:

Maa shaaa Allaah, though it is allowed to marry a female from the people of the book, but I'll dare marry a non-muslim as a precaution. Also, rasulullaah says 4 characters are to be looked for in marrying a woman, that pataki inside is the religion. We see most muslim sisters see "bad bois" saying I'll change him, I'll change, maybe he'll change later..what if he changes you to his type..waiyadhubillah and dey abandon the serious minded akhees, just bcuz he dey obey Allaah(thus BORING). This is a serious concern esp in women, maybe na by DEFAULT sha..'Contact' can enlighten us.

With the way this generation is goin, I for one, can't even give out my blessed 28 and more unborn pretty, albarkaful, GIRLS in shaaa Allaah to an ordinary muslim, talkless of a kuffar. Allaahu musta'an.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 11:23pm On Nov 16, 2016
Farmerforlife:

Maa shaaa Allaah, though it is allowed to marry a female from the people of the book, but I'll dare not marry a non-practising muslim, secular muslim woman talk less of a non-muslimah as a precaution. Also, rasulullaah says 4 characters are to be looked for in marrying a woman, that pataki inside is the religion. We see most muslim sisters see "bad bois" saying I'll change him, I'll change, maybe he'll change later..what if he changes you to his type..waiyadhubillah and dey abandon the serious minded akhees, just bcuz he dey obey Allaah(thus BORING). This is a serious concern esp in women, maybe na by DEFAULT sha..'Contact' can enlighten us.

With the way this generation is goin, I for one, can't even give out my blessed 28 and more unborn pretty, albarkaful, GIRLS in shaaa Allaah to an ordinary muslim, talkless of a kuffar. Allaahu musta'an.

4 Likes

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 11:25pm On Nov 16, 2016
RABIUSHILE04:

I just dey feel 'EMPIREE' these days o LOL. May Allaah make you, I and all of us better on the right path, ameen.
AMEEN

3 Likes

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 3:03am On Nov 17, 2016
RABIUSHILE04:

Maa shaaa Allaah, though it is allowed to marry a female from the people of the book, but I'll dare not marry a non-practising muslim, secular muslim woman talk less of a non-muslimah as a precaution. Also, rasulullaah says 4 characters are to be looked for in marrying a woman, that pataki inside is the religion. We see most muslim sisters see "bad bois" saying I'll change him, I'll change, maybe he'll change later..what if he changes you to his type..waiyadhubillah and dey abandon the serious minded akhees, just bcuz he dey obey Allaah(thus BORING). This is a serious concern esp in women, maybe na by DEFAULT sha..'Contact' can enlighten us.

But another thing is, our sisters too can be jealous o grin I remember one(with apparent eeman) asking if its possible for her husband to reject houris in jannah, it should just be her and her husband in jannah, i was like, are you for real?! What gives you the assurance that you will be in jannah sef?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 4:26am On Nov 17, 2016
RABIUSHILE04:

I think it's all a matter of choice but bad boys are portrayed to be 'cool'. I agree that sometimes women think that they can change men but this isn't true because the man has to be willing to change.

Agree.

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 5:18am On Nov 17, 2016
RABIUSHILE04:

KB, mk u be 4 star general o!

Lol, when i saw this, i imagined myself with four women and i was just laughing hard, i don't see myself with four women sha.

If at all it happens, then my parents can certainly say I'm a rebel, because every single established thing in our family, i am always seen rebelling it grin

4 Likes

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 6:38am On Nov 17, 2016
lexiconkabir:

But another thing is, our sisters too can be jealous o grin I remember one(with apparent eeman) asking if its possible for her husband to reject houris in jannah, it should just be her and her husband in jannah, i was like, are you for real?! What gives you the assurance that you will be in jannah sef?

On a more serious matter concerning this 'jealousy' , that is a sign of weak Imaan, lack of much 'ilm from sisters who think like that. I think they should read more on the blessed female sahabas, they will be humble, free of stress, happy at home, and contented, especially reading abt the mothers of the believers. Though there GATS be jealousy, but there is mutual respect, living in harmony and fear of Allaah, example is Hafsah bint Umar and Aisha bint Abi Bakr(may Allaah be pleased with them), tho Hafsah really competes with Aisha in almost everytyn, but when the 'rumour' spread by the munafikoon about her committing zina, she(Hafsah) was honest(that she knows nothing but good from, her , Aisha). Our women should emulate them in every aspect of LIFE.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 6:40am On Nov 17, 2016
Empiree:

That reminds me, I've been wanting to ask this from someone with firsthand experience of a polygamous hone..

How often do the wives have misunderstandings?
Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 6:40am On Nov 17, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Lol, when i saw this, i imagined myself with four women and i was just laughing hard, i don't see myself with four women sha.

If at all it happens, then my parents can certainly say I'm a rebel, because every single established thing in our family, i am always seen rebelling it grin

This kind of 'rebelling' is HALAALy my akhee'l kareem.(O;O). I gat ur back!

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 6:47am On Nov 17, 2016
RABIUSHILE04:

This kind of 'rebelling' is HALAALy my akhee'l kareem.(O;O). I gat ur back!

Lol, Last time i heard those words, the person that said them to me fled when the real action started grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 6:49am On Nov 17, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Lol, Last time i heard those words, the person that said them to me fled when the real action started grin

What happened? Tell us what happened.

*story mode*
Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 7:06am On Nov 17, 2016
Contact17:

What happened??

We were playing ball o, then the ball hit one senior(he was in ss3 and we were in ss1), the senior now seized the ball, we went to him trying to demand for the ball but he refused, being the person that i am, was already getting annoyed, then i tried to forcibly collect the ball which i did, the senior then said at the count of 5 i should retirn the ball, my padi said, don't return it, whatever happens, "I gat your back", i listened, the senior counted 5 and i didnt return it, the senior left angrily only to ambush us on our way home with his Friend, then the fight started, only to see that my Friend had fled, so it was now 2 to 1, tried fighting but could not cope with both of them, then i focused on one(the actual senior) not minding the blows from the other, i held his head under my armpit and gave blows, i didnt mind the blow i was getting from his friend, luckily for me some teachers passed and we were separated then flogged on the assembly the next morning of which we were also suspended for 1week.

But from that day, this particular senior always ran from me.

Although the teachers were unjust, i was the one being oppressed, my parents were not annoyed at all when i explained what happened.

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by AideeSheks(m): 7:53am On Nov 17, 2016
lexiconkabir:

We were playing ball o, then the ball hit one senior(he was in ss3 and we were in ss1), the senior now seized the ball, we went to him trying to demand for the ball but he refused, being the person that i am, was already getting annoyed, then i tried to forcibly collect the ball which i did, the senior then said at the count of 5 i should retirn the ball, my padi said, don't return it, whatever happens, "I gat your back", i listened, the senior counted 5 and i didnt return it, the senior left angrily only to ambush us on our way home with his Friend, then the fight started, only to see that my Friend had fled, so it was now 2 to 1, tried fighting but could not cope with both of them, then i focused on one(the actual senior) not minding the blows from the other, i held his head under my armpit and gave blows, i didnt mind the blow i was getting from his friend, luckily for me some teachers passed and we were separated then flogged on the assembly the next morning of which we were also suspended for 1week.

But from that day, this particular senior always ran from me.

Although the teachers were unjust, i was the one being oppressed, my parents were not annoyed at all when i explained what happened.
You were one brave little boy grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 7:57am On Nov 17, 2016
AideeSheks:

You were one brave little boy grin

Lol, was just 14 then....and these guys looked 18.

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by MrOlai: 8:02am On Nov 17, 2016
Allah(SWT) says in Qur'an “...marry those that please you of women, TWO or THREE or FOUR. But if you fear that you will not be just, then marry only ONE.... That is nearer to prevent you from doing injustice.” (Q. 4:3)

The Prophet (SAW) said: “Whoever has two wives and favours one of them over the other, will come on the Day of Resurrection with one of his sides leaning.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (1141), Abu Dawood (2133), al-Nasaa’i (3942) and Ibn Majaah (1969). Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb wa’l-Tarheeb (no. 1949).

In Islam, it is permissible for a man to marry two, three or a maximum of four wives at a time. This is permissible with the conditions of being able to cater for the needs of the wives without being bias to any of them. On the other side, it is not permissible for a woman to marry more than one husband at a time.

Allah(SWT) in His wisdom has designed women to be monogamous while men are designed otherwise. A man can have two or more women giving birth for him at the same time. This is not possible in case of women. Women have restricted fertile life from menarche to menopause. Before menarche and after menopause, a woman cannot give birth to a child, except with the miracle of Allah(SWT).

Men, on the other hand, have fertile life all through their lives from puberty; ceteris paribus. These designs are not mistakes but rather they are Allah's perfect designs for us as human beings.
There is normally a surplus of women in most human societies. The surplus here might not necessarily be in terms of male female population ratio. The surplus is as a result of the factors such as: men dying in wars, violent crimes, women outliving men,accident at workplace, etc.Among the surplus women are widows, old and young ones.

Allah(SWT) has designed the restricted polygamy to cater for the needs of the surplus women. If our systems do not cater for the needs of the surplus women, it will result into evils in society. For example, Germany after World War II, when suggestions to legalize polygamy were rejected by the Church, that resulted into the legalization of prostitution. German prostitutes are considered as workers like any other profession. They receive health benefits and pay taxes like any other citizen. Furthermore, the rate of marriage has been steadily declining as each succeeding generation finds the institution of marriage more and more irrelevant!

Institutional polygamy prevents the spread of diseases like Herpes and AIDS. Such venereal diseases spread in promiscuous societies where extra-marital affairs abound.

Polygamy protects the interests of women and children in society. Men, in Western society make the laws. They prefer to keep polygamy illegal because it absolves them of responsibility. Legalized polygamy would require them to spend on their additional wives and their offsprings. Monogamy allows them to enjoy extra-marital affairs without economic consequences.

Polygamy in Islam is only permissible for those who have the capability. So, for our rich Muslim men, it might be wrong on us if we have all it takes to marry another wife and we refuse. We can help the surplus women by marrying them especially young widows. They need legitimate matrimonial supports like companionship, good sex, etc.

However, care must be taken here. This is because some single women are so desperate that they can do anything to send the first wife away. So, let's accept Islam wholeheartedly.

For those married Muslim women who are so desperate and selfish about sharing their husbands with another woman, this is a true life story of a muslimah:

“Second wife! The words reverberated through my brain. Why? Am I not good enough? Never! I will never accept a second wife! If you want a second wife you can go out and get one as long as you know that I will not be here when you come back! Those were my words to my husband a few years ago when he mentioned to me that he is intending to marry again a second time. It was a woman recently divorced, 4 children. She is having a hard time, he said, she doesn't know where the next meal is coming from or how to provide adequately for her children. “Where is their father?” I asked, “Can’t he take care of his own kids? Why do you a strange man have to carry another man’s burden? Surely there are other ways that you can help her out financially without having to MARRY her!

I could not imagine myself in a plural marriage. Sharing my husband with another woman. Sharing his love, his smiles, his jokes with a woman other than myself. I could not fathom him holding her close and whispering loving words in her ears. It was unacceptable. An outrage! After all, I have been to him, wife, lover, mother, doctor; housekeeper. I raised 3 of his beautiful children. How can he insult me by marrying another woman as if I am not good enough? Not pretty enough. Not young enough or just plain not ENOUGH! NO! I could not accept that and I vehemently made my stance clear to him. If she walks in, I walk out! Plain and simple. If he is willing to risk our marriage, our life, our children for another woman, then he must go ahead. I will not stand for it!

It all seems so many years ago now. When I thought that life would last forever and that nothing will ever change. But it did….My husband did not get married to a second wife. After all my warnings and threats of leaving he abandoned the idea. I don’t know what happened to the woman and her children. My guess is that they moved on to another town.

He never mentioned a second wife again and I was happy with that. I managed to hang on to my husband but I didn’t know that our time was running out. His last words to me were that he had a headache and is going to lie down till Esha. He never read Esha namaaz that night, because he never woke up! I was devastated by his sudden death. The man whom I have spent my life with, snatched away from me in a second! I mourned him for a long, long time.

Neglecting my children and the business. Soon all went to waste and we started losing everything one by one. First the car then the shop, then the house. We moved in with my brother and his family. My 3 children and I crowded the house and my sister in law soon became annoyed by our presence. I needed to get out, to work and find a place of our own instead of living off the leftovers of others. But I had no skill.

When my husband was alive we lived comfortably. I had no need to go out and work or equip myself with a skill. Life was very difficult for me and my children and I wasn’t young anymore. I missed him every day with every beat of my heart. How could one’s condition change so drastically? One day my brother told me that someone he knew is looking for a wife. He was a good person, good akhlaq and very pious. Perfect for me, but he wants me to be his second wife.

It’s the second time in my life that the word second wife was mentioned to me. But how different the circumstances. He came to my brother’s house to see me. There was an immediate connection between us. I liked him and I liked everything about him. He told me that his first wife knows that he is intending to marry again but that she is obviously not supportive of the idea and that he doesn’t know what her reaction will be when he tells her that he had found someone. His answer he said, will be dependent on her acceptance of Polygamy. I started praying Istikhara that night. I so desperately wanted it to work out. I remembered so many years ago when the life of another woman depended on my decision and what my decision was. I felt contrite, I felt that because I did not give another woman a chance, a space in my life, that Allah will punish me this time around.

I repented, not once in my life did I think my action worthy of repentance because I had done nothing wrong. I only protected what was mine. Now that I am on the receiving end, I realized how wrong I was in denying another woman this PRIVILEGE of a husband. I prayed that she will accept me. He phoned me a few days later telling me that his wife is having a hard time accepting it but that she is willing to meet me. I was nervous the day of the meeting. I prayed a lot the day before and asked Allah to help me.

When I met her, she was a person, a woman like me. A woman who loves her husband and fears losing him. She took my hand and with tears in her eyes said: “This is very hard for me, but I hope that we can be sisters” her words broke my heart. All I needed in these dark days was a hand reaching out to me and embracing me, giving me hope and the will to carry on. His wife was to me, the woman that I could not be and I will be forever grateful for that. I thought that no one could love her husband the way I loved mine, but she taught me the true meaning of unconditional love.

You never knew a person’s situation until you are in it. Judge by what is right according to Qu’ran and you will see how Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala will sent double fold of blessings your way.”

http://muslimvillage.com/2014/12/09/60243/second-wife-a-sisters-story

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 9:37am On Nov 17, 2016
MrOlai:

You have four wives ba? grin

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Demmzy15(m): 10:11am On Nov 17, 2016
Make I contribute.

My family is monogamous, my grandfather was forced to marry a woman because of when her husband died no one took care of her. My dad is also monogamous, so I'll like to continue the cycle.

I've always thought that I'll marry any woman, whether her being a non-practising, Christian, Muslim or Jew, I didn't care before but with the little exposure I have now, she must be practicing. I can't marry a non-Muslim, in school here I've seen the bad effects. I have many friends with full Muslim names(Idris Kadri, Uthman, Ibrahim Aliyy, etc) who's father are Muslims but mom Christians so they decided to follow their moms. In fact one of them said, in Islam, if you translate the Qur'an into another language apart from Arabic, you'll be executed! grin

Some Muslim men give the condition that they'll watch over the their children and guide them "islamically", but what of if death takes over? I know someone who's dad(a Muslim) died and she follows her mom now.

Now concerning marriage to a Muslim lady, I'll consider beauty first before religious commitment. The reason is that, one of the main reasons for marriage is for couples to be satisfied and lower their gazes(you all ought to understand what I mean):

Imam al-Bahooti said in Sharh Muntaha al-Iraadaat (2/621):

He should not ask about her religious commitment until he has been told good things about her beauty. Ahmad said: If a man wants to propose marriage to a woman, he should ask about her beauty first, and if good things are said, he should ask about her religious commitment, and if good things are said, he should marry her. If he does not hear good things about her religious commitment, then he will have rejected her because of her religious commitment. He should not ask about her religious commitment first, then if good things are said, the he asks about her beauty, then if he does not hear anything good, he rejects her because of beauty and not because of religious commitment.

All in all, may Allaah provide us the best and rectify our affairs!

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 10:20am On Nov 17, 2016
Demmzy15:
Make I contribute.

My family is monogamous, my grandfather was forced to marry a woman because of when her husband died no one took care of her. My dad is also monogamous, so I'll like to continue the cycle.

I've always thought that I'll marry any woman, whether her being a non-practising, Christian, Muslim or Jew, I didn't care before but with the little exposure I have now, she must be practicing. I can't marry a non-Muslim, in school here I've seen the bad effects. I have many friends with full Muslim names(Idris Kadri, Uthman, Ibrahim Aliyy, etc) who's father are Muslims but mom Christians so they decided to follow their moms. In fact one of them said, in Islam, if you translate the Qur'an into another language apart from Arabic, you'll be executed! grin

Some Muslim men give the condition that they'll watch over the their children and guide them "islamically", but what of if death takes over? I know someone who's dad(a Muslim) died and she follows her mom now.

Now concerning marriage to a Muslim lady, I'll consider beauty first before religious commitment. The reason is that, one of the main reasons for marriage is for couples to be satisfied and lower their gazes(you all ought to understand what I mean):

He should not ask about her religious commitment until he has been told good things about her beauty. Ahmad said: If a man wants to propose marriage to a woman, he should ask about her beauty first, and if good things are said, he should ask about her religious commitment, and if good things are said, he should marry her. If he does not hear good things about her religious commitment, then he will have rejected her because of her religious commitment. He should not ask about her religious commitment first, then if good things are said, the he asks about her beauty, then if he does not hear anything good, he rejects her because of beauty and not because of religious commitment.

To Mallam Demmy
Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Nobody: 10:24am On Nov 17, 2016
Demmzy15:
Make I contribute.

So the long and short of this superstory be say you are looking for Cinderella in Abaya abi? Or niqob sef.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar by Demmzy15(m): 10:30am On Nov 17, 2016
lexiconkabir:

So the long and short of this superstory be say you are looking for Cinderella in Abaya abi? Or niqob sef.
**nods in affirmation** grin grin

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Islam And Exorcism / Kenyan Cancer Patient Goes To Hajj For His Last Wish / Baby Born With Rosary In Ogun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.