Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,489 members, 7,770,202 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:16 AM

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (630008 Views)

Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 / Doctor In The House: Free Medical Advice Available / Pharmacist In The House:free Medicines Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (305) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jun 14, 2006
cool cool cool
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by molluma(f): 6:32pm On Jun 14, 2006
they dont bleed.they just look angry red.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 4:05pm On Jun 15, 2006
Hmm, well i guess you might find it useful to go through the comprehensive list of oral pathology here

http://www.doctorspiller.com/Sores_Lumps_Bumps.htm#Gingivitis

stay healthy!
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by molluma(f): 5:25pm On Jun 15, 2006
ewww i could not look at those mouths. i hope i have none of the fore mentioned stuff. oh my i hope i dont get sores
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by molluma(f): 5:34pm On Jun 15, 2006
HELP. nicetohave u hv got to help me. instead of me to be contend wit the link u sent i did some sleuthin on my own.http://www.coldsores.scienceofmagic.com/cure/mouth%20sore.html. i went to the above link and saw some gibberish bout genital herpes.pls u owre it to me to help me (if u had not offered free advice i wld have continued my warm salted water treatment). HELP. sad cry sad(
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 6:25pm On Jun 15, 2006
did you notice the site you pasted is a commercial one?

continue your mouth wash with the salt-warm water solution. there are other antiseptic solutons in the market for cold sores in the mouth: oraldene solution, bonjela, even the routine TCP could be made into a solution for this purpose.

I honestly do not see any reason why you should panic so much because of some slides/pictures you see on the internet. If you are concerned about oral ulcers caused by herpes the chances are that it wont be the only symptom you will be having but if you are so much worried you may want to visit a doctor nearby for a full physical examination.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by molluma(f): 6:31pm On Jun 15, 2006
ok since you are not worried i wont be. not even sure what herpes is and don't think i want to google it.thanks alot.if you need free legal advice, or want to sue any one, u know whom to call

1 Like

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 6:52pm On Jun 15, 2006
I will remember that molluma.

I was going through my posts again and noticed that i only advised vitamin c but ideally you will need both the B (niacin specifically) and C vitamin.

To get the best shot it is better to use separate formulations of both vitamins instead of the regular over the counter multivitamins: herpes cause oral sores and even though it is getting more and more common these days my submission is still that mouth sores, bleeding and beefy red gums as an independent symptom is still more likely due to vitamin deficiencies than to herpes.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Floridian(f): 12:50am On Jun 19, 2006
Hi! I'm new to this forum and it's so large it's a little intimidating! I appreciate so much having to be able to ask a professional some things. I have some medical questions, I have pernicious anemia and celiac disease. My question is that it seems I'm also having trouble with the starch foods, as potatoes, is there a connection to starches with my conditions?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 2:04pm On Jun 19, 2006
You will have to see a dietitian, which i am sure you have been seeing, to confirm if the potatoes you are eating contains GLUTEN, i am sure you are aware that any food that contains GLUTEN will provoke your symptoms.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Typewriter(m): 11:01pm On Jun 24, 2006
Hi doc,
am kind of confuse i think it socking too
i have this condition of loving snazzy so much so but don't know what to do to have her love me back. is there any medical help for me?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 12:03pm On Jun 25, 2006
That is a difficult one typewriter. I think you have snazzyitis!! What you need for this is a large dose of cod liver oil and common sense to get you to see reality. You might want second opinion from nicetohave.

1 Like

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Typewriter(m): 12:10pm On Jun 25, 2006
well doc I've tried eating much fish but few cod liver intake cos am allergic to this substance so what other healer will do? undecided undecided how about getting me into snazzy's system as well? cool cool at least halve shared will bring some relive to me
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Typewriter(m): 12:17pm On Jun 25, 2006
but while u are looking on "who is online" page am off to take more cod liver oil
if I five bottles, I hope will do it?

but if I die just no that u connived with snazzy to kill me! embarassed kiss kiss kiss
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 1:28pm On Jun 25, 2006
In addition Typewriter, cold water helps! both to drink and to bathe cool
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by smartisaac(m): 3:58pm On Jun 26, 2006
Please i will like to know the possible lasting cure for eczema for both teenagers and adult coz i actually know of people and some of my friends who have really tried so many drugs, soaps, and creams just to get rid of the irritating skin disease. Plaese i need it very urgently in order to help them out. i really need full details and pescriptions in full. Thanks very much for volunteering to help your motherland. i appreciate you kind gesture, keep it up.

plz mail the details to : call4isaac@yahoo.com.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 12:43am On Jun 27, 2006
It is simple. A renowned philospher/physician (can't recall his name now) once said:

skin diseases hardly kill, but they hardly go away

However there are a lot of ameliorates available to make a not too good looking skin more presentable.

While eczema cannot be cured, most cases can be controlled by:

1 Making lifestyle modifications to prevent flare-ups

2 Seeing a dermatologist for treatment

3 Using medication as prescribed

This approach tends to prevent inflammation and itching and keeps eczema from getting worse. Dermatologists recommend that treatment be sought at the onset of signs and symptoms. When therapy begins early, it often reduces severity and duration.

Once eczema is diagnosed, a treatment plan will be made based on:

1 Type and severity of the eczema present
2 Age, health, and medical history (including presence of other conditions)
3 History of previous treatment

The primary goal of treatment is to relieve discomfort by controlling the signs and symptoms. Since eczema is usually dry and itchy, most treatment plans involve applying lotions, creams, or ointments to keep the skin as moist as possible. The treatment plan also may require lifestyle modifications and using medication as directed.

A topical (applied to the skin) medication may be prescribed to help relieve itching and inflammation. Another way to treat the itch is with a non-sedating antihistamine (as terfenadine). If itching is severe, a sedative antihistamine (like phernegan) may be recommended. Skin infections caused by bacteria are treated with an antibiotic. Some antibiotics are applied to the skin; others come in pill or liquid form. An antiviral is prescribed to treat an infection caused by a virus. The antiviral medication may come in topical, pill, or liquid form. It also may be given as a shot. An infection caused by a fungus is treated with an antifungal medication.

Certain types of severe eczema may be treated with phototherapy. Stronger systemic medications, such as corticosteroids and cyclosporine, may be prescribed to treat severe eczema that has been unresponsive to treatment.

Since so many factors affect why a person develops eczema, a treatment plan that works for one person may not effectively control eczema in another person. Sometimes it takes a bit of detective work to find an effective treatment plan.

Please work closely with your dermatologist, read up literatures and ask him/her pertinent questions and discuss treatment plans to suit your purpose. Once eczema sets in it doesnt go away but it doesnt have to take the fun out of your life.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Kave(m): 9:21am On Jul 09, 2006
Doc, i have nimonia,pls wat do i do?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 9:51am On Jul 10, 2006
I quite like the new way of spelling pneumonia! smiley This very much depends on the cause of your pneumonia. If it is a bacterial cause, the most common, then the treatment is with the appropriate antibiotics. Most respond to penicillins and cephalosporins. Off course in this day and age of viral infections like HIV you might need antivirals in addition. As pneumonia causes a lot of fever, dehydration is one of the main problem and also need to keep your body ticking with appropriate calories. Worst type of pneumonia might need physiotherapy/oxygen therapy (those are the ones that need hospital admissions)
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 11:03am On Jul 24, 2006
@nicetohave

long time. hope u are cool
pls i would like to know more about ulcer esp ulcer in the gut.
the causes, symtoms and solutions.
i have a friend who is presently suffering from that. I want to know how i can be of help
i heard a lot of youghurt is good for ulcer. pls what do u think?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 12:36pm On Jul 24, 2006
Ulcer simply put is a breach in the epithelial continuity of any part of the body surface, so "gut" ulcer as you put it is a condition where the protective lining of the "gut" is being constantly eroded by the gastric (stomach) acid content and other factors.

The ulcer can be anywhere from the oesophagus to the first part of the duodenum as this marks the "jurisdiction" of the gastric acid. So the ulcer is commonly known as PEPTIC ULCER DISEASE, and can be a GASTROESOPHAGEAL REFLUX DISEASE, GASTRIC ULCER DISEASE or DUODENAL ULCER DISEASE, depending on the part of gut affected.

The three have similar symptoms, which is essentially a "burning" or "gnawing" pain in the gut which is INTERMITTENT but quite different presentations classical to each:

Gastric ulcers pain will generally wake the patient from sleep and aggravated by food and commoner amongst people of blood group type A while that of duodenum will be relieved by food and commoner in people of blood group type O. An oesophageal reflux one tends to give the patient a feeling of shortness of breath as the acid content spills into the chest, in all though there is considerable overlap between all three presentations in real life and physicians need to be meticulous in diagnosing which is which.

As for the treatment it could be both MEDICAL (which would include lifestyle modifications) and SURGICAL (in severe cases)

The mainstay usually is the patient's lifestyle modifications:

1. They should lose weight if obese
2. Avoid tight fitting belts
3. Reduce (by about 60%) intake of coffee, pepper, spice, chocolate, cigarette, milk (now while milk can be used ro relieve the pain of peptic ulce when its on, overdependence on it daily use as a meal could also provoke it, and the same goes for Yoghurts)
4. Elevation of head of bed while sleeping
5. Eating night time meals at least 2hrs before sleep.
6. Discontinue any strong pain killers (especially the Non steroidal antiinflammatory drugs eg. Ibuprofen) and other drugs known to disrupt the protective linning of the "gut" EXCEPT WHEN ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY if an alternative cant be sought and in such cases STRICT DOSAGE COMPLIANCE IS ADVISED AND SUCH MEDICATIONS TAKEN WITH FOOD.

With all that in place i usually start my patients on a two week course of antacids (usually maximal recommendation is six weeks but experience have shown that combined with a religious observance of lifestyle modifications the ulcer heals quickly) however some patients may require the full six weeks course for full symptoms remission

There are a number of antacids in the market and the choice of which to use also depends of the severity of symtoms:

MMT solution and tablets (chewable forms are present in the market) and patients can take up to 2 tabs (teaspoon as the as the case may be) four times a day.

The H2-blockers (cimetidine, ranitidine, famotidine) commonly known as Zantac 150mg twice a day, which eliminates about 70% of the acid

And the proton pump inhibitiors; omeprazole 20 or 30mg (depending on the formulation) once daily (preferably at night), this eliminate about 95% of the acid.

There are others that will need your physicians recommendation to use it but generally the above are the mainstay of treatment.

If it is found that the ulcer is complicated by a bacteria known as H-Pylori in cases which patients do not heal despite adequate and full dose of antacids with good compliance then antibiotics will need be added, this need be prescribed again by your physician as the dose and combination that eradicates the H-Pylori is different from the everyday (ab)use of antibiotics.

Surgery is reserved for only the severe recalcitrant ones with frequent relapses.

Remain healthy.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jul 24, 2006
BUT HE CAN TAKE AT LEAST A GLASS OF YOUGHURT A DAY TO RELIEVE THE PAIN?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Typewriter(m): 6:32pm On Jul 24, 2006
Hi Docs,

It's me again, the one and only snazziesis patient (induced disorder/ disease u get when snazzy leaves u)
now that Snazzy is married i hope no cure is now need.

but i have this problem of body itching any time i work a short distance or use anything that vibrates
what is the cause i really like to know if i can be cured of this allergy or malady
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 10:29pm On Jul 24, 2006
ugonna0071:

BUT HE CAN TAKE AT LEAST A GLASS OF YOUGHURT A DAY TO RELIEVE THE PAIN?

If it helps, yes.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by bolalonu: 1:03pm On Aug 09, 2006
i'v been havin a terrible headache for d past weeks.i av used paracetamol bt its still aching me. its goin for some time wen am wit a close pal btt after sumtime it comes back. actually i av a serious quarell with my boyfy bt i see no reason y d hedache isnt subsidin, though av been sleepin well bt immediately i wake up it comes bak. yesternite i cldnt sleep.
could u pls help me out cos its really driving me crazy doctor!
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by tabuko(m): 3:35pm On Aug 09, 2006
Hi doc! Som time ago,i complaind bout my tongue, Peelin,
After a toror observation, i discovered that it happens weneva i have katar,
Pls try help me out , Once my nasal cavity is clear ,then my tongue clears,
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by bonnyboy: 5:04pm On Aug 13, 2006
Nice job docs@nicetohaveu,Balogun
i've been having this painless bumps
on my genitals.wat do i do it gives me
alot of concern cool
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by edygirl(f): 3:48am On Aug 17, 2006
Doc, please I was watching this show where a DNA test was ran on a lady with her two babies and medically she was found not to be the mother of these two babies because the DNA test did not match but later on they redid the DNA using her thyroid that was surgically removed some time ago was but stored and the DNA matched her kids. After they found out she is a chimera.
My question ;
Is chimerism a disorder and if it is please can you explain to me, I am so confused, what can be the etiology of chimerism in human?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 3:20pm On Aug 18, 2006
It is a rare condition, still largely a mythology to some scientists:

check out this sites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_(genetics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera

if you have specific questions after reading it, then we can discuss.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 3:26pm On Aug 18, 2006
bonnyboy:

Nice job docs@nicetohaveu,Balogun
i've been having this painless bumps
on my genitals.what do i do it gives me
alot of concern cool

Painless bumps maybe a sign of salient STI e.g syphilis, especially if it appears and disappears, i advise you see a general practitioner for an examination

on the other hand it may be a non specific occurence, so as i said seeing a physician will help alleviate your concern.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 3:36pm On Aug 18, 2006
tabuko:

Hi doc! Som time ago,i complaind bout my tongue, Peelin,
After a toror observation, i discovered that it happens weneva i have katar,
Please try help me out , Once my nasal cavity is clear ,then my tongue clears,

This is an online forum and there should be a great restricition to the prescription of medications for maladies but i suggest you try ZYRTEC 10mg once per day with the earliest onset of your catarrh or symptoms as there might be an allergic component to your condition. Discontinue the medication as soon as the symptoms abate.

Take care.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 3:50pm On Aug 18, 2006
bolalonu:

i'v been havin a terrible headache for d past weeks.i av used paracetamol bt its still aching me. its goin for some time when am wit a close pal btt after sumtime it comes back. actually i av a serious quarell with my boyfy bt i see no reason y d hedache isnt subsidin, though av been sleepin well bt immediately i wake up it comes bak. yesternite i cldnt sleep.
could u please help me out because its really driving me crazy doctor!

There are basically three types of headaches (MIGRAINE, CLUSTER AND TENSION) that occurs on its own, that is when it is not associated with any other conditions like an intracranial malady or a systemic problem.

In your case it seems like tension headache, and sometimes it persists after the precipitant may seem to have gone away because it has been postulated that it might still be present it the subconscious. try outdoor activities, try to confront whatever the disharmony is and solve it as best and as crises free as you possibly can, friends and family support helps and take some paracetamol as needed, if it gets too painful you may try the NSAIDS like ibuprofen 400mg three to four times a day but not for long, please.

A dose or two of valium at night might also help, say about 5mg or 10mg for about 2 or 3 days.

You'll feel better in no time and take care.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (305) (Reply)

How Can I Get Rid Of Black Spots On My Face? / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology / How Do I Calculate My Safe Period?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.