Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,613 members, 7,770,631 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:15 PM

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available - Health (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (630055 Views)

Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 / Doctor In The House: Free Medical Advice Available / Pharmacist In The House:free Medicines Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (305) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Sista(f): 8:02pm On Dec 06, 2006
@Balogun

I have been reading this topic but not all of it of course. I read the first page and I must say that I am impressed. Doctor in the house, you are doing a great thing and you are indeed, in your own magnificent way, giving back to the community. Thank you for taking out your precious time to answer the questions of these people. One can imagine that with how busy you stay in the hospital, you can rarely find time for your self, let alone other people.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 9:03pm On Dec 06, 2006
Thanks sista. We do try our best on this forum
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by gentleone(f): 2:23pm On Dec 07, 2006
ajolayo:

@gentleone,
A lot of things can cause twitching eyelids. Twitching is not abnormal really though when it becomes too much and too frequent it might be worrisome. Some people twitch more when they are under stress. Repetitve twitching movements are called tics. the borderline between normal and abnormal is very vague. I don't think it is anything to worry about.
@ ajolayo,thanks. the twitching actually got worse, almost every 5 mins so i had to go see an optician. it all came down to stress as u mentioned before, she said the eye was being overworked undecided
anyway, she did some tests and suggested i start wearing glasses again

another question pls, how often shpuld one deworm and what are the consequences if one doesn't?
thanks.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ajolayo(m): 3:34pm On Dec 07, 2006
@gentleone,
There is no strict regulation on how often one should deworm. I am not sure I have seen it in any text or article on the frequency of deworming. Also deworming would depend on the age of the indivivdual (as children are more predisposed to the effects of worm load) and the location, I mean place of domicile of the person. I do not expect a person in the US to have the same worm load as someone living in my village in Osun State. You get. But Personally I would advise once in 6 months for an adult. That though is very arbitrary as I myself I have not dewormed in the past 6 years. (maybe thats why I am this skinny). grin LAUGHS

I welcome other people's comments on the frequency. I'll advise once in 6 months to a year.

Now for the effects of worms: plenty. Firstly depends on the type of worms. Mostly the kind of worms that inhabit us in Nigeria is Roundworm (ascaris).

Effects of Ascariasis include:
Nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort. they may cause biliary obstruction and intestinal obstruction if the worm load is much. Actually in my unit when I was in Paed surgery one time , we had taken a child to theatre for Intestinal Obstruction only to get in and find a bag of worms. some of those worms were as big as my head. They also cause malnutrition esp in children.
Hookworm causes anaemia.
Threadworm causes intense perianal itching (itching around the anus)
etc.
Let me stop boring you.

The effect of worms are more important in children and I would advise regular deworming in children but in adults I think once in 6 months and above is good enough.

Thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Maribabe(f): 12:00pm On Dec 09, 2006
Thanks Balogun for volunteering. One of my friend told me somethin bits her and pernitrated into her body, she has taken drugs and injections so as to kill that particular parasite that intered into her body. But the something is still inside moving around the body also the parasite is now affecting her walking, one side of her legs and is the same place the thing passed through to her body. Shes asking if there is no antbiotic which she can take and the antibiotics will kill the parasite inside, the thing is disturbing her seriously.
Doctor is there any antibiotic you can prescribe for her pls.
Thanks.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by 1k001(m): 3:03am On Dec 10, 2006
Hi doc Balogun, read d posts and hav to commend the time and effort u put into them. I'm a med student myself in TCD, read in one of yor posts that you trained in Dublin. I'm curious to know where you did your internship and how it worked out as it's tough these days for non eu nationals to get a spot in hospitals in Eire.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 9:48pm On Dec 10, 2006
1k001. Its nice to see a potential graduate from Dublin. I qualified from RCSI at St Stephen's Green sometime ago. Our hospitals were Richmond and Jervis St in those days. I did my house jobs in Edinburgh and Guildford. Assume being none EU for you would mean having to sit the PLAB on this side. My advice is to maximise your opportunities by sitting the American exam. The NHS is going down the pan here. I have a daughter in 3rd year med at Edinburgh. I would advice her the same although she is British.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Christie(f): 2:46pm On Dec 25, 2006
Hello doctors in the house,

For sometime,i have been coughing and sneezing when i wake up in the morning.It normally stops after sometime(8-9am). I was told it is an allergy. Piriton was precsbribed,to be taken at night.The issue is that when i am through with the dosage,it starts again.

Please advice. Thanks.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by 4Play(m): 3:34pm On Dec 25, 2006
Doc,what do u think will be the reason an elderly man hypreventillates,he breathes rapidly,especially at night time and the episode can last for hours.

i was wondering whether it is a case of heart failure for he complained of swollen feet and rapid heart beat

Thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by jclord(f): 8:21pm On Dec 27, 2006
Hi Christie,
I am not a doctor but I have suffered with allergies for many years. Here are some changes you can make to your diet that will help:
-eat a lot of leafy green vegetables
-eat less sugar
-less carbohydrates
- drink alkaline water (water with fresh lemon juice) try to drink 8+ glasses daily
-less coffee
-more green tea
-more chicken breast
-less red meat
-exercise more
- increase your vitamin C intake

Exercising more will help your body sweat out toxins. You will find that this diet will help you right away. It cured me of chronic sinusitis which I had for 2 years. I still use it to controll my allergies. You can research this diet on line it is called the alkaline diet. Also cover your pillow with a silk pillowcase that has a zipper and if you can get a silk filled pillow that would help greatly. Dust mites in your pillow and mattress are causing you to sneeze in the morning. Silk is suggested because dust mite don't like silk. A mattress cover will also help. Try to find out what you are allergic to and eliminate from your diet if it is food, if it is pollen or fabric. If you are allergic to pollen close your windows in the morning when pollen is a big problem and buy local raw (or unpasteurized)honey and use it in your tea every day. Having honey every day will help your body become immune to the local pollen. Make sure your are getting enough fiber in your diet to cleanse your intestines. I got this information from consulting several Allergists, Certified Nutritionists, and on line research. I use all of the above techniques and they work. You will find that your diet will not need to be strict for it to work well for you. I hope this works for you. God bless
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by bimpeaka(f): 11:57am On Dec 28, 2006
I urgently need a response from any of the doctors. I am 31 and trying to conceive, what do I do.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ajolayo(m): 3:36pm On Dec 29, 2006
Hi everyone.
So many questions. Its been busy for all the doctors I am sure. Its been busy for me sef.
So lets answer the questions as best as possible:

@christie,
I agree that that might be an allergy. One problem is that you have not yet been able to identify what you react to. The presence of the allergy would continue to stimulate that response, so a long lasting solution apart from the drugs is identification of the allergy and life style modification.
Are you also asthmatic? Do you itch around your eyes, nose? All these allergic conditions can coexist. What you have is probably perennial rhinitis. The most probably organism is house dust mite.
So the following advice might be useful, remove all pets (cats, dogs etc), rugs are to be changed to carpets if possible,
your pillows and beds should be covered with silk beddings. There are other drugs but I don't see a point in adding another one. your symptoms seem mild to me and you are well controlled on piriton. I think lifestyle modifictaion is all we need to win here. Ok
Please do not hesitate to ask any questions you are not clear about.

@4 play,

It is possible he has congestive heart failure. He has swollen feet, he complains of feeling his heart racing. The hyperventilating symptom looks like PND to me. Its is very possible
But I think a thorough check up in a hospital would be essential
I have to ask a lot of questions but it is better he is thoruoghly evaluated.

@bimpeaka,

How long have you been married.?
Have you been pregnant before?
Other questions I'll love to ask seem personal. You can mail me or buzz me when I am online. I can ask a few qesutions and probably recommend you see your Gynecologist or whatever.

Thanks everyone

Gat to go

Thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by isaacayomi(m): 4:07pm On Dec 29, 2006
happy new year in advance to you all. i need an urgent response from you nairaland users. what can be a permanent solution to abnormal female discharge and treatment for the husband as well? thanks.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by tianshie(m): 1:21pm On Jan 01, 2007
Good job doctors.
A friend had a wart removed from her forehead by cryotherapy but noticed discolouration around the area which she says is how the wart develops.Her dermatologist prescribed retinon which isn't working. Other creams she tried are neomycin and scabicides, but the wart disappears for a cuple of days and then reappears and continues to grow.
What cream or tablet could she use to find a permanent solution to this problem?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 6:13pm On Jan 03, 2007
@isaacayomi. You need to find what the cuase of the discharge is first before you start to treat it. You are right in that if it is infective, both of you need treatment together. Suggest condoms when treatment is going on.

@tianshie. Make sure it was warts that has been treated with cryotherapy. Warts are usually viral in nature. The body should develop its own antibodies to this with time
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by rosenje05: 7:10am On Jan 16, 2007
My friend masturbate daily he said he enjoy it instead of prostituting abt because of hiv.I warned him what are d consiquencet and side effects?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 11:39pm On Jan 16, 2007
I would like to say it will make him go blind!!! Just habit forming. Better than visiting a prostitute. He doesn't have to dress up to masturbate and wont cost him money or his life
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by daviso: 4:22pm On Jan 19, 2007
Doctor in the house, i thank u so much hw u hv been rendering medical advice to nairaland users , i pray dat almight God 'll reward u mightly. my problem is dat of difficult to sleep. most times after a busy day at work and coming back to sleep nd get ready for the next day job becomes a problem. more especially when i'm interupted at nite by late nite call or something else.most times i take drugs i mean sleeping tabs. But i think dat is not helping matters, i want to find a permanet solution to the problems. As result of the problem i hv visited different doctors severally, and most of them always said that i'm thinking, but is not true. I'm not thinking anything, i told one doctor one time that i hv experienced sorrowful times, like the time i lost my fiance and my immediate elder sister so dear to me and it was a matter of two days i got over it, i began to enjoy my normal sleep again. How could it be this time i hv everything going for me by grace of God that i will be thinking. I nowmarried and also got a well paid job, honestly i'm not thinking anything but the question is what could be responsible for my sleepless nite. I need ur prompt advice. And most times when it happens, my temperature increase and my heart beat increase as well.Please i need ur advice.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by iamworried(f): 6:27pm On Jan 24, 2007
@ doctor or anyone in the house that can advise me

i had my first child about 9months ago. since then, my husband has been seriously complaining that my vagina is no longet tight , ie. it is now loose. this has seriously affected our lovelife. pls, how can i tighten my vagina? i have been doing keagal exercises PROPERLY for about 6months now but there seem to be no positive effect. is there any herb that i can use. someone advised me to use kaun<potash> to rinse my vagina as this will help greatly? pls, will this work? i am really bothered about this, i want my husband to fell the tightness that he had enjoyed previously with me. thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by webbo(m): 3:16am On Jan 27, 2007
ok let's see what we can do to help here
@ Daviso
How long have you been Insomnic?
Which is more of a problem for you , falling asleep initially or getting back to sleep after you've been woken up?
Do you have these episodes of fast heartbeats during the day also? Do you also break out in sweat when they occur?
When you say your job is well paid are you saying you r exempt from financial pressure?

@iamworried
If your child is nine months old and your husband still complains or you still think you r slack down there, you will need to see a gynecologist. There are remedies for that.

Cheers.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by segoye2(m): 3:13am On Feb 03, 2007
Dear Doc. / All,

I just finished chating with a childhood friend of mine who recides in Pennsylvina, in the U.S.

She told me that her Dad has been ill for sometime now and dignosised with Emphizima.

She nearly resign to faith, but I believe somehow that he will gain back his health soonest.

His currently has alot of trouble breathing, cant walk more than 100ft with out running out of air,he coughs a lot, and when he blows his nose, it comes out black, he is very weak and tired all the time, though his tongue colour is still as same as it were before he got ill.

His currently dignosised with emphizima and we are looking for a herbal cure or any available cure. The tablets given him now were those that will treat him, but not cure! I mean just to make death easier for him or something close to that.

Please try reply as soon as possible to enable us know our faith.

Am sending you my warmest greetings and a big thanks for all your good works.

Sincerely Yours,

Segoye2
N:B I just sent you a personal mail to your mail address
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by segoye2(m): 11:53am On Feb 03, 2007
Thanks Doc. for the mail.

I really appreciate it. Can herbal medicine cure is totally or we should fore-go the idea of trying herbal?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Radiant(f): 11:51am On Feb 04, 2007
The sad thing is that Emphysema is an irreversible disease sad
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by segoye2(m): 8:19pm On Feb 04, 2007
Any advice for me please? We have exhausted all available ideas. We need you help!
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Radiant(f): 11:38am On Feb 05, 2007
Segoya, unfortunately, I don't live in Nigeria and I don't have a clue of any herbal clinic. sad
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by segoye2(m): 1:57pm On Feb 05, 2007
@ Radient,

Thanks for your reply. In your current location, don't you have a herbal store around? I mean even if not a herbal clinic, somewhere we could get a cure from.

In this cause, money is not a stopping point. We need help, we need real help Radient.

@ All,

I need you great help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by webbo(m): 11:56pm On Feb 05, 2007
Hi Segoye,
Could u send a mail to lusegzy@yahoo.com?
We'll talk.
Cheers.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by segoye2(m): 10:33am On Feb 06, 2007
Thanks Webbo,

I just mailed you now and hope you get back at me soonest!

@ All,
Please we need your advice and help!
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by enurayce: 6:54pm On Feb 07, 2007
I must commend your efforts.I want you to please help.What do u think is the best way to cure Haemorrhoids?Your views on why u chose a particular method cud be expatiated.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by bigbumper(f): 6:15am On Feb 23, 2007
Baby has blue inhaler, brown inhaler and baby mask. What is the right way to use the inhaler for a baby. My uncle's wife says I have to force it on him as he pushes it away that it does not matter whether it enters through his nose or mouth. Is she right?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 9:46am On Apr 11, 2007
Big bumper. There are inhalers designed for children. You cant force this thing on them. They have a wider opening so when you place over their face, they get a certain amount of the medication. Bad technique and wrong inhaler is reason why a lot of people present to their physician with un controlled asthma
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by bigbumper(f): 1:50am On Apr 15, 2007
Balogun:

Big bumper. There are inhalers designed for children. You can't force this thing on them. They have a wider opening so when you place over their face, they get a certain amount of the medication. Bad technique and wrong inhaler is reason why a lot of people present to their physician with un controlled asthma

Thanks for the reply. We were given a baby mask (spacer ) to use with the inhalers and this device covers the nose and the mouth but I didn't know whether the gas was supposed to be inhaled via the nose or the mouth.

When I picked up the repeat prescription, we were given one in a powdery form to put on the tongue in a circular shaped thingy and another one, (can't remember). Returned both as main ingredient was lactose and baby is lactose intolerant. Pharmacist advised that it had to go in through the nose for babies, not sucked through the mouth.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (305) (Reply)

How Can I Get Rid Of Black Spots On My Face? / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology / How Do I Calculate My Safe Period?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.