Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:36 AM

Tears In Abuja Over Recession - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tears In Abuja Over Recession (1068 Views)

FCT Indigenes Protest Unclad In Abuja Over Marginalization (Photos) / Governors Endorse Sale Of National Assets Over Recession / Sokoto Government Recalls 39 Students From UAE Over Recession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tears In Abuja Over Recession by legendsilver(m): 8:42pm On Nov 14, 2016
[10/23, 08:44] ‪+234 803 303 6847‬: "Abuja is probabaly the worst-hit of Nigerian cities by this recession. It is only understandable: Abuja works at nothing but revels in wanton opulence, fed strictly from pens adding zeroes behind a whole number. It's buildings are populated with straw companies gliding on patronage and privilege, not rights, merit and productivity. Most of its inhabitants are currently in what seems a state of disbelief, if not shock. My son and I walked lazily to Sheraton two Saturdays ago and from the gate you got a surprise: no line of traffic! The lounge was empty as the car park was vacant. We sat in surprise at the little corners of decay creeping on the lounge, part of which was even poorly lit. Of course, even Maitama an Asokoro are wrapped in thick darkness these days at 8pm if grid power fails. I was surprised at the black silence I met in these desolate palaces. Everywhere signs hang on homes and high-rise office buildings begging for tenants. I called a number on one and the voice that answered said it was for sale: 3.6billion, seven-story building with a footprint of about 250sqm. "I see".
There is good hiding in evil and sometimes you don't even have to look too deeply to see it. Too many wealth in Nigeria is strictly in figures without any underlying source or feeder spring. If you got your money through work and creativity; if they put you in a desert, you will still replicate the feat. What is called a recession in regular economics is but a dethronement of false money, the overthrow of pretenders and wealth built with the tip of a pen so that reality and productivity can take over. It is an inevitable passage if nature is correctly programmed. In a hilarious circle I was told about a typical Abuja moneybag whose fortune has now turned around. He was in money - and you know what I mean. In In height of his affluence he collected two more wives to make a total of three. But the noose had been getting tighter and, all streams gone dry, he applied for a loan from a bank. Not so well exposed to the hazard of seeking credit from Nigerian banks, he was exceedingly positive he will soon be credited an so went with gusto to the manager's office on an appointed day to get the final answer on his application. When he was told that he had been turned down, he lost control of himself so completely that he pooped on himself right there in the bank. He was helped into the bathroom and offered a ton of tissues and when he had become manageable, they led him into a taxi and gave him a thousand naira to the bank's happy ending of the personal tragedy. The story teaches us that wealth without foundation will end in sudden failure. It is not only Abuja or the typical, overweight Nigerian big man, Nigeria itself is a victim of lazy wealth: oil is not a result of hard work or creativity. We don't even as much as have local capacity to drill the oil! If we don't build our economy by adding value through processing and developing our human resources, we won't end up much better than that poor individual you just laughed at." John

My view:

It is time to start building real and sustainable wealth, enough of what used to be...

Nicked from Funmi Adewola
[10/23, 08:49] ‪+234 803 303 6847‬: The difference between the poor and rich nations is not the age of the Nation.

This can be demonstrated by countries like India and Egypt, which are more than
2000 years old and are still poor countries.

On the other hand, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, which 150 years back were insignificant, today are developed and rich countries.

The difference between the poor and rich nation does not also depend on the available natural resources.

Japan has limited territory, 80% mountainous, unsuitable for agriculture or farming, but is the second in worlds economy. The country is like an immense floating factory, importing raw material from the whole world and exporting manufactured products.

Second example is Switzerland, it[10/23, 08:44] ‪+234 803 303 6847‬: "Abuja is probabaly the worst-hit of Nigerian cities by this recession. It is only understandable: Abuja works at nothing but revels in wanton opulence, fed strictly from pens adding zeroes behind a whole number. It's buildings are populated with straw companies gliding on patronage and privilege, not rights, merit and productivity. Most of its inhabitants are currently in what seems a state of disbelief, if not shock. My son and I walked lazily to Sheraton two Saturdays ago and from the gate you got a surprise: no line of traffic! The lounge was empty as the car park was vacant. We sat in surprise at the little corners of decay creeping on the lounge, part of which was even poorly lit. Of course, even Maitama an Asokoro are wrapped in thick darkness these days at 8pm if grid power fails. I was surprised at the black silence I met in these desolate palaces. Everywhere signs hang on homes and high-rise office buildings begging for tenants. I called a number on one and the voice that answered said it was for sale: 3.6billion, seven-story building with a footprint of about 250sqm. "I see".
There is good hiding in evil and sometimes you don't even have to look too deeply to see it. Too many wealth in Nigeria is strictly in figures without any underlying source or feeder spring. If you got your money through work and creativity; if they put you in a desert, you will still replicate the feat. What is called a recession in regular economics is but a dethronement of false money, the overthrow of pretenders and wealth built with the tip of a pen so that reality and productivity can take over. It is an inevitable passage if nature is correctly programmed. In a hilarious circle I was told about a typical Abuja moneybag whose fortune has now turned around. He was in money - and you know what I mean. In In height of his affluence he collected two more wives to make a total of three. But the noose had been getting tighter and, all streams gone dry, he applied for a loan from a bank. Not so well exposed to the hazard of seeking credit from Nigerian banks, he was exceedingly positive he will soon be credited an so went with gusto to the manager's office on an appointed day to get the final answer on his application. When he was told that he had been turned down, he lost control of himself so completely that he pooped on himself right there in the bank. He was helped into the bathroom and offered a ton of tissues and when he had become manageable, they led him into a taxi and gave him a thousand naira to the bank's happy ending of the personal tragedy. The story teaches us that wealth without foundation will end in sudden failure. It is not only Abuja or the typical, overweight Nigerian big man, Nigeria itself is a victim of lazy wealth: oil is not a result of hard work or creativity. We don't even as much as have local capacity to drill the oil! If we don't build our economy by adding value through processing and developing our human resources, we won't end up much better than that poor individual you just laughed at." John

My view:

It is time to start building real and sustainable wealth, enough of what used to be...

Nicked from Funmi Adewola
[10/23, 08:49] ‪+234 803 303 6847‬: The difference between the poor and rich nations is not the age of the Nation.

This can be demonstrated by countries like India and Egypt, which are more than
2000 years old and are still poor countries.

On the other hand, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, which 150 years back were insignificant, today are developed and rich countries.

The difference between the poor and rich nation does not also depend on the available natural resources.

Japan has limited territory, 80% mountainous, unsuitable for agriculture or farming, but is the second in worlds economy. The country is like an immense floating factory, importing raw material from the whole world and exporting manufactured products.
Re: Tears In Abuja Over Recession by agwom(m): 8:45pm On Nov 14, 2016
cry
Re: Tears In Abuja Over Recession by Oyiboman69: 8:48pm On Nov 14, 2016
Re: Tears In Abuja Over Recession by talktonase(m): 8:48pm On Nov 14, 2016
Re: Tears In Abuja Over Recession by otukpo(f): 8:53pm On Nov 14, 2016
It is enjoyment here in Lagos.
Re: Tears In Abuja Over Recession by chriskosherbal(m): 9:05pm On Nov 14, 2016
cheesy
Re: Tears In Abuja Over Recession by Paperwhite(m): 9:17pm On Nov 14, 2016
otukpo:
Lasgidi no be am nne.Tell me where make I come join you. grin grin cheesy
Re: Tears In Abuja Over Recession by Nobody: 9:25pm On Nov 14, 2016
otukpo:

Same story in Lagos too... although the impact ia more on VI & Ikoyi....

Very low patronage to those high rise serviced residential apartments in Ahmadu bello, Etim Inyang, lekki and Vi extension. They are largely empty. Even hotels have been hit hard but they will not tell u. Middle tier hotels are enjoyibg lower than average patronage
Re: Tears In Abuja Over Recession by Bethelwealthy(m): 10:02pm On Nov 14, 2016
The wise warned, but many were too emotional to ask real question.
My only question is: "since after leaving power in the 80s, has Buhari ever managed or established a single business apart from his 150 cows that refused to give birth or increase for 13 years??".
And the answer is : NOOOOOOOO!
So we got what we voted for.
ok.
Meanwhile, Kindly vote for my Brother, TEMIDAYO, and his story, "ILLUSION", in the Etisalat Flash Fiction Award. Just a click, and a like, and your vote will go a long way to power a bold voice to life. find the link below:
https://prize.etisalat.com.ng/flash-fiction/voteall.php?id=51

(1) (Reply)

ATIKU 2019... / VP Osinbajo And Wife Dolapo Arrive Abu Dhabi For Formula One Event. Photos / Ondo Election: INEC Was Partial – CSO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.