Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,824 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone (25734 Views)

Whatsapp Video Call Upgraded To 8 Calls Per User / Note 10+’s Ultra-fast Charging Feature Is Coming To Other Samsung Phones / Gionee M2017 With 7000mah Battery Capacity Now Official: See Meme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by Tholluwallashe: 5:10am On Nov 16, 2016
WhatsApp video calling is now finally official. It is now open to everybody no matter the device you are using and what part of the world you are.

That has to be emphasized because in the last couple of months, the idea of WhatsApp video calling features had made the rounds. The recent was a beta version made available to only some users.
At the time WhatsApp was quietly testing the Video calling features, some misconstrued that fact as the full roll out of the feature to WhatsApp users.

You don’t blame them for thinking that way as the over a billion users of WhatsApp were really hoping for a video calling feature especially after new entrant Allo came out with a bang with video calling.
Announcing the welcome news on the WhatsApp blog, the messaging service said that they are

….introducing this feature because we know that sometimes voice and text just aren’t enough. There’s no substitute for watching your grandchild take her first steps, or seeing your daughter’s face while she’s studying abroad. And we want to make these features available to everyone, not just those who can afford the most expensive new phones or live in countries with the best cellular networks.”

This is quite a turnaround for WhatsApp because about six months ago, users were left sorely disappointed after an update to the app did no include the video calling feature.

Using the video calling feature in WhatsApp is quite easy. Though for now there is no dedicated video calling icon. To initiate a video call, all a user has to do is tap the call icon at the top of a WhatsApp conversation. Just like you want want to start a normal call.

Instead of calling the recipient as it used to be before, a pop up would appear asking the user to chose if they want to start a normal call or video call with the person they are chatting with.

Tapping the video call would place a video call.

During video call, a user can decide to use the primary camera or the front facing camera. This is cool for a situation where the front camera is not very sharp or you want to show somebody an image using the back camera.

One can also mute the call if they don’t want to hear sounds without actually ending the call. Ending the call requires only the tapping of the red button on the screen

Like already stated earlier, WhatsApp officially joined the video calling service rather late, at least when compared to other services like Viber, Apple’s FaceTime and of course Skype, which is the industry standard for which other services measure their progress.
One comparative advantage WhatsApp has over all other video calling apps is the number of users using the platform. As messaging platform, WhatsApp is far and away the most popular messaging app with over 1 billion users.

So for WhatsApp, they would be starting at the top because even if only 50% of WhatsApp users start using he video calling service, they’d already be the biggest app offering the service. Even bigger than Skype.
In the months leading up to this feature, WhatsApp introduced several new feature or updates to the app including end-to-end encryption to make chats safer and group chatting feature.

Though the WhatsApp video calling is welcome, the downside for users in countries like Nigeria still remains the cost of data and of course the strength of internet connectivity.

Source :>> http://www.xtremetechhub.com/2016/11/finally-video-call-feature-is-now.html?m=1

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by Godfullsam(m): 5:57am On Nov 16, 2016
Good development from whatsapp. I hope some bad egg wontabuse the feature

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by Olasco93: 6:26am On Nov 16, 2016
When you say All Devices, do you mean including Symbian and other phones that have Video call features.
#I Love my E5

3 Likes

Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by Turks: 7:06am On Nov 16, 2016
Whatsapp over BBM any day!

What am I saying sef?

2go over BBM please. Don't mention me if you have nothing sensible to air.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by ejima5101: 7:06am On Nov 16, 2016
Ok

1 Like

Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by herzern1(m): 7:06am On Nov 16, 2016

See what Mark Zuckerberq said about it....

4 Likes

Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by massinola(m): 7:06am On Nov 16, 2016
I love this. It's time to catch this my cheating bae who will be knacking for her sugar daddy place but be telling me she's in night vigil. Why I no de hear noise na? Your call just entered when the pastor said we should pray in the silence of our hearts is always her answer. God don kpichikom you today. Google play here I come, whatsapp update sharply.
Meanwhile

27 Likes

Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by tochivitus(m): 7:07am On Nov 16, 2016
its long over due self anyway good development

2 Likes

Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by yomalex(m): 7:07am On Nov 16, 2016

1 Like

Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by emmyid(m): 7:07am On Nov 16, 2016
And some pple wud b comparing beloveth watsapp with user friendly feature and interface to complicated BBM.
I no blame dem sha, naija gals wud always wanna say bbm over watsapp kos of the unnecessary hype of bbm back in the days wen techno cud not ping!
#Teamwatsapp

6 Likes

Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by TeamSimple(m): 7:07am On Nov 16, 2016
Final nail in the coffin for BBM

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by lonelydora: 7:07am On Nov 16, 2016
Choi..... So I no fit lie some kind lie for wifey again.

Wahala dey for some people shaa.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by wizzlyd(m): 7:08am On Nov 16, 2016
OK
Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by Omotayor123(f): 7:08am On Nov 16, 2016
Wow... Whatsapp keep upgrading shocked

I hardly ping these days tongue

2 Likes

Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by izzy4shizzy(m): 7:08am On Nov 16, 2016
Confused whatsapp people

1 Like

Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by zarakay(f): 7:09am On Nov 16, 2016
cool.
Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by hizzyairtel(m): 7:09am On Nov 16, 2016
Hmm
Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by frankanyiks(m): 7:09am On Nov 16, 2016
Turks:
Whatsapp over BBM any day!

What am I saying sef?

2go over BBM please. Don't mention me if you have nothing sensible to air.
BBM Still exists?

7 Likes

Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by adigunomomama(m): 7:09am On Nov 16, 2016
Ok
Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by dayleke: 7:10am On Nov 16, 2016
Helllloooooo!!!!!!
Can you see me now?!!!!!!!!!!

7 Likes

Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by Nobody: 7:11am On Nov 16, 2016
Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by chimah3(m): 7:11am On Nov 16, 2016
Ghen ghen!!!
Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by Banter1(m): 7:13am On Nov 16, 2016
Hope my Ex won't be disturbing me with this shit. Yes am Still a very good friend with her. Quote me and Recession will hit you hard.

5 Likes

Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by ibkgab001: 7:13am On Nov 16, 2016
God bless mark God bless me

#i_standwithwhatsapp

1 Like

Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by Tobitrueman(m): 7:14am On Nov 16, 2016
dayleke:
Helllloooooo!!!!!! Can you see me now?!!!!!!!!!!

10 Likes

Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by Pvin: 7:15am On Nov 16, 2016
Does one need to update whatsapp app before it starts working

2 Likes

Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by ORACLE1975(m): 7:15am On Nov 16, 2016
Have just test it now but messenger video call is much better
Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by samsard(m): 7:15am On Nov 16, 2016
Perfect! have been enjoying whatsapp calls as it's comparably cheaper and clearer than cellular calls. grin
Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by Turks: 7:16am On Nov 16, 2016
Gradually going extinct..
frankanyiks:
BBM Still exists?
Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by ihesiuloa(m): 7:16am On Nov 16, 2016
Great to know this.. But be clear about the all phones you have talked about!
Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by cornel994(m): 7:17am On Nov 16, 2016
tongue
Re: Finally! Video Call Feature Is Now Official On Whatsapp For Everyone by mecussey(m): 7:21am On Nov 16, 2016
Olasco93:
When you say All Devices, do you mean including Symbian and other phones that have Video call features.
#I Love my E5

me too oo, i no dey joke with my E5...android can wait. I am thinking what i will do to my whatsapp after dec 31.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

6 Categories Of Mobile Network Customers. Where Do You Belong? / How To Track A Nigerian Scammer's Bank Account And Easily Get Back Your Money / My Heroic Experience At Computer Village.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.