Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,859 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:34 PM

Working On Creating A Test Database. Anyone With Sample Data For Free - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Working On Creating A Test Database. Anyone With Sample Data For Free (2490 Views)

Creating A Group Chat With Html/javascript/php/mysql For Beginners / Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? / Help On Creating An Auto Executable Hyperlink (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Working On Creating A Test Database. Anyone With Sample Data For Free by Kobojunkie: 7:26pm On Nov 03, 2009
I am in need of data of all kinds, preferably formatted so I can transform and import it to my datatables. I am working to google what I can but if you already have some dummy data that you use and would like to help, can you please share? Even if it is a script, a database file, any thing useful will work
Thanks in advance
Re: Working On Creating A Test Database. Anyone With Sample Data For Free by Seun(m): 7:39pm On Nov 03, 2009
I can't imagine any use of test data that won't require a particular type of data, but:
http://blog.stackoverflow.com/2009/06/stack-overflow-creative-commons-data-dump/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_database
Re: Working On Creating A Test Database. Anyone With Sample Data For Free by Kobojunkie: 7:44pm On Nov 03, 2009
Well, I sort of have this small Data Generator piece written to handle the types and constraints for now. What I want at this time is just to fill up with some dummy code. As time goes on, I hope to sort of filter each data by type and format for cleaner data. Thanks for the links

Do you have more?

I need Addresses, schools, phone numbers, Text/paragraphs etc libraries
Re: Working On Creating A Test Database. Anyone With Sample Data For Free by Tonyet1(m): 11:04am On Nov 06, 2009
dont know if i can send you a microsoft sql sample data, but does your system run an XML platform? let me know
Re: Working On Creating A Test Database. Anyone With Sample Data For Free by Kobojunkie: 4:50pm On Nov 06, 2009
If you have a copy of SQL Management Studio 2005 or 2008 or any other database client tool out there that could, you can easily script the database or the data using SSIS . Also, I can you can make a copy of the database and send it my way.
Re: Working On Creating A Test Database. Anyone With Sample Data For Free by Beaf: 3:02am On Nov 07, 2009
You can get formatted, random data with very little effort.
All you have to do is generate random text and numbers for each field, to your target formats and lengths. Then you generate the sql using loops; alternatively, you could add rows to a datatable/dataset while you loop (that way, you can dump xml as well as test-run before db population).
You can be done in an hour.
Re: Working On Creating A Test Database. Anyone With Sample Data For Free by Kobojunkie: 3:29am On Nov 07, 2009
I am not looking for TRASH data per say. Looking for real world data that will work with already existing contraints, and formats that clients might have on their database. It is actually for a mini data generator that allows for using of already existing data to generate insert statements rather that generating JUNK texts and more. I need next to real Addresses, phone numbers, Names, words, geocode, Guids, Titles, etc
Re: Working On Creating A Test Database. Anyone With Sample Data For Free by Kobojunkie: 3:31am On Nov 07, 2009
I am trying to avoid generating text and the likes. I would rather use data that actually complies with contraints and more. Essentially, I need the Database dump to be packaged with the client so instead of generating "JUNK" text, use real text, real phone numbers, addresses, names, etc. Makes it easier to test, and makes the database reusable.
Re: Working On Creating A Test Database. Anyone With Sample Data For Free by Beaf: 4:00am On Nov 07, 2009
^
If you don't need millions of rows, will Adventureworks or Northwind help?
Re: Working On Creating A Test Database. Anyone With Sample Data For Free by Kobojunkie: 5:21am On Nov 07, 2009
I have been able to extract as much as possible from Adventure works and Northwind. But looking for more. I know essentially looking for data of different kind.  I am talking of data that pertains to schools and students, to real estate data, votes/polling data etc.   I started off wanting to write a sort of text generator, but I would rather have something non dev testers can use in testing their code and also allows for contraint and format checks needed in over 1000 columns in the current database. So I am building a library of sample data that can be used by the DataGen to generate sample data for the test database. So when QA testers try to do testing, they can easily work with it without just seeing JUNK all over the place they can barely make real sense of.
Re: Working On Creating A Test Database. Anyone With Sample Data For Free by Beaf: 7:07am On Nov 07, 2009
Try these pages. There are a few open source (and commercial) dummy data generators listed in the discussions.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/157600/data-generators-for-sql-server
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16317/creating-test-data-in-a-database
Re: Working On Creating A Test Database. Anyone With Sample Data For Free by datagen: 7:41am On Aug 17, 2018
The Datagen API for web enables you to reach over thousand users on using a simple REST API, all in [b][url]https://datagenit.com/sms-api.php [/url][/b]Programmable Messaging platform. smiley

https://datagenit.com/sms-api.php

(1) (Reply)

Regex Phone Number(nigerian Format) In Python / Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. / Who Can Teach Me Programming Around OTA, Ogun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.