Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,819 members, 7,806,305 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:27 PM

Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? (4506 Views)

Are Bloggers Really Financially Free? (an Insight Into The Claim Unto Bloggers) / Why Are Bloggers Not Recognized By The Nigerian Government? / SEO For Bloggers: How To Nail The Optimization Process For Your Posts - Climax (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by Sphilip1(m): 11:32am On Nov 17, 2016
Have you noticed? Bloggers these days seem to be writing shorter and shorter articles, with many of the longer ones artificially inflated with images. So what’s up with this trend? And why is it starting to dominate the industry?

According to the experts, readers want simple easily-digestible content, that can be quickly read or scanned.

There is stiff competition online. Writing shorter posts gets your point across quickly without giving visitors a chance to leave.

Realize that people have choices. With 80 million other blogs to choose from, I know you could leave at any moment (see, there goes someone now). So that makes blog writing shorter and faster and more exciting.

So is short the way to go? Maybe. There are indeed advantages to writing short posts which include:

the ability to write more frequently. Drafting long articles takes a lot of time. When you write less per article, you can easily crank out a few more.

Also, new visitors from search engines are looking for specific information. If they see a shorter post, they are likely to scan it for their search terms. But if they see something longer, they might just return to the search engine that sent them there.

A greater number of comments per article.

****** Very very important **************

But before you decide that short posts are for you, you should be aware of the benefits that you can have by writing longer posts.

Forget The Experts: Why You Should Go The Distance

Some of the most important reasons to write long articles include:

long articles are better link bait.
many topics cannot be adequately covered in short articles.
search engine optimization is arguably easier with longer posts.
long posts help you to build credibility.
quick ideas can be better shared in a different format such as Twitter.
sometimes visitors are looking for depth.

And if you are concerned about losing potential readers because of the length, be sure to structure your post so that it appears shorter. You can do this by using headlines, lists, and images to break up an article into smaller sections.

So what do you think? Are you conscious of the length of your posts? Do you care? And what do you think readers prefer?

To all loyal Nairalanders like me, I'm building followers here. If you're truly interested in TECHNOLOGY, especially the ones that relate to you as a consumer. Kindly follow me and remember my signature.

Thanks.

Cc: velvetblues

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by bizgenius1: 12:00pm On Nov 17, 2016
i guess not everyone likes to read long post..

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by mokoshalb(m): 1:05pm On Nov 17, 2016
Yea, for example i can't read the story u wrote beyond 5 lines...

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by randomShek: 1:53pm On Nov 17, 2016
Its because it ain't easy. Give them what they want straight and direct. Simple

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by Sphilip1(m): 8:39pm On Nov 17, 2016
mokoshalb:

Lol.. you must be a Nigerian!!! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by mokoshalb(m): 9:13pm On Nov 17, 2016
Sphilip1:

Lol.. you must be a Nigerian!!! grin grin grin
grin
Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by APHATHEOLOGY(m): 9:24pm On Nov 17, 2016
Article might be short but conveying more meaningful message is the key.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by Moss9ja(f): 11:17pm On Nov 17, 2016
Longer posts (usually between 2000 to 3000 words long) are likely to rank higher. Yes, you'll lose readers but when they get tired of seeing you as number one for their search term every time, they'll succumb and read through.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by mokoshalb(m): 11:39pm On Nov 17, 2016
Moss9ja:
Longer posts (usually between 2000 to 3000 words long) are likely to rank higher. Yes, you'll lose readers but when they get tired of seeing you as number one for their search term every time, they'll succumb and read through.
u mean naijarians..? wtf.? 2000 -3000 rank higher

tell me u are joking..
Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by ShakurM(m): 6:57am On Nov 18, 2016
See you, they are managing laptop's battery. Nepa no even flash light and fuel money...hiannn

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by ednut1(m): 6:58am On Nov 18, 2016
because they have nothing to write noni
Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by Benjom(m): 6:59am On Nov 18, 2016
Most people are lazy when it comes to reading.
Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by CrazyScientist: 7:00am On Nov 18, 2016
Nigerians do not like long articles, I guess, sorry, I know grin
Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by robminds: 7:00am On Nov 18, 2016
He is right. It is an SEO requirement to give your readers enough page content to digest. Google Algorithm favours lengthy quality post over brief posts.

confirm from here: http://robminds.com
Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by Emma5097: 7:00am On Nov 18, 2016
mokoshalb:

I clap for u. U even try. I no make am pass the thread title before I run. I mean for this one wen dey do person I wan know about longer or shorter stories?
Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by wakes: 7:01am On Nov 18, 2016
I just thought of doing 10 short posts this morning to link to my pillar(longer) posts. This too is wisdom.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by Temitoppe(m): 7:02am On Nov 18, 2016
and another thing, adverts takes 2/3 of the content
Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by Hardeydamola(m): 7:02am On Nov 18, 2016
Because they understand that people would read the summary and not the whole thesis from Genesis to revelation
Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by pocohantas(f): 7:02am On Nov 18, 2016
Is this particular OP's post long?
Some of this didn't read it, we just strolled down to the comments.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by Sinciddy: 7:04am On Nov 18, 2016
wakes:
I just thought of doing 10 short posts this morning to link to my pillar(longer) posts. This too is wisdom.

Really? Too wisdom
Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by Exponental(m): 7:05am On Nov 18, 2016
I thought you will help will the long post..... It's all about 'the click' not the content
Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by 3RNEST(m): 7:06am On Nov 18, 2016
This day we glance through no time to read.. I feel bored reading entire life history...

Long post meant lead to reading off key then miss the point so go hit the nail to the head and Stop beating around the Bush.... Ooop mine is getting Long oh... OYA op summarize.. smiley
Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by Nobody: 7:06am On Nov 18, 2016
Ask Nairalanders , they have the answer to your question .But wait a minute , the answer you seek is already answered by the same question you asked ,read again , there you will find your answer
Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by ransomed: 7:06am On Nov 18, 2016
Bloggers are pseudo journo. They depend on hear say, beer parlour and beauty shop gist to post "make up" stories.
Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by sakalisis(m): 7:07am On Nov 18, 2016
Recessions
Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by dimexy247(m): 7:10am On Nov 18, 2016
Long ko, longer ni
Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by dimexy247(m): 7:10am On Nov 18, 2016
mokoshalb:

Same here, no long thing jare.
Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by MrBONE2(m): 7:10am On Nov 18, 2016
These have to do with hungry linda ikeja wannabe bloggers. grin
Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by kayo80(m): 7:10am On Nov 18, 2016
You got Tinder, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Xvideos, Badoo, Snapchat, Nairaland, Linda Ikeji's Blog, Naij.com, Pulse.com, Instagram, BBM, Whatsapp, etc. People have too many distractions, and would rather spend the least amount of time reading a story on a blog. Attention lifespan of most people around the world is getting shorter and shorter everyday.
Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by An0nimus: 7:10am On Nov 18, 2016
When Tonto Dike makes the news and you want to break it faster than Linda Ikeji, Stella, 80 million other blogs. Some go just put the headline for there add one picture then click publish grin

Longer posts require more planning and research. The average Nigerian blogger (celebrity, news) doesn't have the time for that. You don't want to be caught behind when a news is trending. Only a few go back to do a more detailed analysis and opinion pieces.

To churn out 10 well-researched 1000-word posts every day is not beans. And if you can't keep people's attention in your long posts, OYO is definitely your case.

Well written, attention-holding long posts are beautiful. Read Guardian UK and see 2,000-3,000 posts that keep you glued to the end.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bloggers Writing Shorter And Shorter Posts? by Bigajeff(m): 7:13am On Nov 18, 2016
lack of original contents

(1) (2) (Reply)

I'll Get You 1,000 Active Users For Your App/website For 1,000 Naira / Do You Think Nairaland Will Still Be Nigeria's No 1 Forum In 10 Years? / Become Pioneer Instructors On Macaranta.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.