Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,123 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:07 AM

Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis (16984 Views)

When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis / What If I Disappoint God? - Paul Ellis / Does God Scourge Us? 7 Reasons To Say No!! - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by MuttleyLaff: 1:52am On Jun 05, 2017
PastorAIO:
Would this apply to your reading of 'cyrus cylinder brouhaha'?
Mba mba mba
Chalk and cheese. Incongruent
Butter o nse ounjẹ ọbọ
'cyrus cylinder brouhaha' is not a hyperbole

PastorAIO:
What do I mean? Surely you're not that slow.
When someone talks about a 'Cyrus Cylinder Brouhaha' why must you take it literally when you are so expert in the notion of hyperbole
I am glad you accept that the Cyrus Cylinder is not brouhaha
and now recognise how you improperly used it in your ''Inside all that you wrote the only thing worth responding to is this Cyrus Cylinder brouhaha'' construct

PastorAIO:
How is being advised to chop off your hand at odds with any general context in which we've read that passage.
Don't people's hands get cut off in Jesus' day? What is the general context that leads you to say that cutting off your hands is at odds with it.
If you were in the audience only you wouldnt know that Jesus is using a hyperbole and a scaremongering tactic to make people feel worried or frightened concerning committing adultery (i.e. the context)
and besides where have I stated that cutting off your hands is at odds with the ''general context''
because knowing you and your pedantic self, I consciously & deliberately didnt cite or refer to Matthew 5:30 in any of the three listed criteria I submitted

PastorAIO:
Perhaps the whole notion of Hell is Hyperbole too. Yes?
Open a thread if you want to remark on whether or not the whole notion of hell is a hyperbole
besides read below my succinct opinion of hell

PastorAIO:
and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire

How do we know that Jesus wasn't being hyperbolic here?
Why should people roast for calling someone a fool, unless maybe it was hyperbole after all this is a saying that I'm not too comfortable with.

You can bet that right now I'm reading your posts and thinking exactly that of you,
and it would be very unfair if I should end up in hell just because I had the misfortune of reading your posts
You're missing seeing in the context, the anger management forest because you're focusing on the trees text

You can bet that right now, it is a relief that I am not defined by whatever image you've exactly conjured up thinking of me

PastorAIO:
30And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away.
For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell

So let's look at the general context of the passage.
If cutting off of the hands is hyperbole, yet he said that this hyperbole (exaggeration) is better than the whole body going to hell then that must mean that going to hell is an even bigger hyperbole.
So therefore you must conclude that Hell is just a hyperbole that shouldn't be taken seriously. Nor be so?
Hell originated from Greek mythology and so therefore is a Greek invention
Appropriately speaking, Ghenna, which was real in biblical Israel was consistently used by Jesus as a metaphor for the lake of fire
and the bible says Death and Hades will be thrown into same lake of fire.

PastorAIO:
3) When an overstatement is made about impossible physical events literally taking place

Luke chapter 21
26Men will faint from fear and anxiety over what is coming upon the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
27At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.
28When these things begin to happen, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”

Is this Hyperbole, the part about the son of man coming in a cloud?
The bible says that Jesus was taken up into a cloud
and states He will return the same and/or similar way He went up, coming in a cloud with power and great glory

PastorAIO:
Are all the miracles in the bible hyperbole in your opinion because after all the refer to 'impossible physical events literally taking place'?
No because hyperbole is from a Greek word meaning ''excess''
and that hyperboles are not narratives but are figures of speech used in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect towards making a point
Examples:
It rained cats and dogs yesterday, this conveying the message that it rained heavily yesterday
I could sleep for a year, this conveying a message of being completely bushwhacked and a want to sleep for a long time to recover
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by PastorAIO: 2:30am On Jun 05, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
Mba mba mba
Chalk and cheese. Incongruent
Butter o nse ounjẹ ọbọ
'cyrus cylinder brouhaha' is not a hyperbole

\

So you can't see how it applies to what you are saying. Should I try to explain? hmmm... okay

Brouhaha: a noisy and overexcited reaction or response to something.
"the brouhaha over those infamous commercials"

Claiming Cyrus is a Marduk worshipper and going on at length about it ignorantly can be described as a brouhaha. Some might see that as hyperbolic but that is just a matter of degree. Banging on about it in sheer ignorance and being arrogant about it, no matter how slightly is to me a brouhaha.

I am glad you accept that the Cyrus Cylinder is not brouhaha
and now recognise how you improperly used it in your ''Inside all that you wrote the only thing worth responding to is this Cyrus Cylinder brouhaha'' construct

Where did I accept that? and why is it that you are only responding where you mistakenly believe you may have room to expound your ignorance. Why didn't you go to the other thread and respond there? Even a small admission of error is so hard for you. Yet you will call yourself a christian.

If you were in the audience only you wouldnt know that Jesus is using a hyperbole and a scaremongering tactic to make people feel worried or frightened concerning committing adultery (i.e. the context)
and besides where have I stated that cutting off your hands is at odds with the ''general context''
because knowing you and your pedantic self, I consciously & deliberately didnt cite or refer to Matthew 5:30 in any of the three listed criteria I submitted
So Jesus is a scaremonger to you now.
It doesn't surprise me after all it is you that said Yahweh is not El Elyon and Melchizedek (the priest that Christ's priesthood is modelled on) wasn't serving Yahweh.
By the way, this entire thread is about matthew 5:30. and you are talking about general context, oh my lord, the levels of irony ...

Open a thread if you want to remark on whether or not the whole notion of hell is a hyperbole
besides read below my succinct opinion of hell
I don't need to. You said that cutting off the hand is just hyperbole. Yet in the exact same passage that we are discussing Jesus said that the reason for cutting off the hand is that it is better to be saved with one hand than to enter hell with your whole body. So hell is a crucial part of this discussion. If the hand cutting is hyperbole, then I ask you: Is hell a hyperbole too?

You're missing seeing in the context, the anger management forest because you're focusing on the trees text

You can bet that right now, it is a relief that I am not defined by whatever image you've exactly conjured up thinking of me

Mr Context. You and context sha.. and all the while demonstrating no grasp of the context of what is being discussed. You can be sure that you are as idiotic as I think you are and it is plainly demonstrated all over NL with you attempts to distort and misinterpret and twist the bible into all sorts of hideous doctrines thought up by your demonic mind.

Hell originated from Greek mythology and so therefore is a Greek invention
Appropriately speaking, Ghenna, which was real in biblical Israel was consistently used by Jesus as a metaphor for the lake of fire
and the bible says Death and Hades will be thrown into same lake of fire.

So you're saying that Jesus is peddling Greek inventions in Matt 5:22

and Hades I take it is real biblical Israel concept in your mind. and Death is actually a physical person that can be thrown into a physical lake of fire. O ma se o. Yeye yi ma ti pupo ju.

The bible says that Jesus was taken up into a cloud
and states He will return the same and/or similar way He went up, coming in a cloud with power and great glory
I know the bible says that. that is not the point I was making. If you are not stupid go and read it again and respond intelligently.

No because hyperbole is from a Greek word meaning ''excess''
and that hyperboles are not narratives but are figures of speech used in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect towards making a point
Examples:
It rained cats and dogs yesterday, this conveying the message that it rained heavily yesterday
I could sleep for a year, this conveying a message of being completely bushwhacked and a want to sleep for a long time to recover

Even sef, come to think of it. Cutting of the hand is not hyperbole. Otherwise the reasonable thing jesus was suggesting would be to just chop a finger off or cut the wrist a bit rather than excessively cutting off the whole thing.

And neither would 'it rained monkeys and Muttleylaffs' be hyperbole. Hyperbole would be saying that you are caught in a torrential rainfall when in fact it is just drizzling.
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by MuttleyLaff: 4:41am On Jun 05, 2017
PastorAIO:
So you can't see how it applies to what you are saying. Should I try to explain? hmmm... okay

Brouhaha: a noisy and overexcited reaction or response to something.
"the brouhaha over those infamous commercials"
w w w.dictionary.com/browse/brouhahaa
Brouhaha: loud confused noise; commotion; uproar.

e n.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brouhaha
A brouhaha, from French brouhaha,
is a state of social agitation when a minor incident gets out of control, sometimes referred to as an uproar or hubbub

Where is the noise, uproar or commotion?
Where and what is ''brouhaha'' in me saying:
''Actually Cyrus did worship Marduk.
Cyrus' admission is found in the ''The Cyrus Cylinder'', a cuneiform tablet now in the British Museum
''

PastorAIO:
Claiming Cyrus is a Marduk worshipper and going on at length about it ignorantly can be described as a brouhaha.
Some might see that as hyperbolic but that is just a matter of degree.
Banging on about it in sheer ignorance and being arrogant about it, no matter how slightly is to me a brouhaha
Going on at length? Banging on about it?
Didnt know you're a snowflake

PastorAIO:
Where did I accept that? and why is it that you are only responding where you mistakenly believe you may have room to expound your ignorance.
Why didn't you go to the other thread and respond there? Even a small admission of error is so hard for you.
Aje kun iya ni o je. Aje kun iya ni o je
E ni ti o to nina, tin de na de ni'. Aje kun iya ni o je

Is it by force? Are you deaf of hearing?

What part in
''I will publish my replies in my own time. Until then I am in waiting mode and still waiting''
do you have a problem with understanding?

PastorAIO:
Yet you will call yourself a christian
You're lying like a persia rug.

PastorAIO:
So Jesus is a scaremonger to you now
No, He isnt.
I simply used a crude word to explain a point

PastorAIO:
It doesn't surprise me after all it is you that said Yahweh is not El Elyon and Melchizedek (the priest that Christ's priesthood is modelled on) wasn't serving Yahweh
Keep up misquoting me ooo.
Sooner than you'll know that your pinocchio nose will soon fall and drop off

PastorAIO:
By the way, this entire thread is about Matthew 5:30. and you are talking about general context, oh my lord, the levels of irony ...
Matthew 5:30 is a text born out of an adultery context

PastorAIO:
I don't need to. You said that cutting off the hand is just hyperbole. Yet in the exact same passage that we are discussing Jesus said that the reason for cutting off the hand is that it is better to be saved with one hand than to enter hell with your whole body. So hell is a crucial part of this discussion. If the hand cutting is hyperbole, then I ask you: Is hell a hyperbole too?
Do yourself a favour and read Matthew 5:27-28 (i.e. one-two verses above Matthew 5:30)
and then Matthew 5:31-32 (i.e. one-two verses below Matthew 5:30)
to see that adultery is the crux and subject matter of how ''cutting off hands'' came in to being at the teaching on the mountain

PastorAIO:
Mr Context. You and context sha.. and all the while demonstrating no grasp of the context of what is being discussed.
You can be sure that you are as idiotic as I think you are and it is plainly demonstrated all over NL with you attempts to distort and misinterpret and twist the bible into all sorts of hideous doctrines thought up by your demonic mind
You've made a mockery and nonsense of sentence, in not tying in the sentence along with the crux of the matter taught in its paragraph
What you should have being thinking of is why is Jesus using Matthew 5:30 to serve as a deterrent to curb adultery

PastorAIO:
So you're saying that Jesus is peddling Greek inventions in Matt 5:22
What I am saying is, Jesus used and said Ghenna in Matt 5:22

PastorAIO:
and Hades I take it is real biblical Israel concept in your mind and Death is actually a physical person that can be thrown into a physical lake of fire. O ma se o. Yeye yi ma ti pupo ju
Sheol is more of a proper and real biblical Israelite concept of where the dead are ''interned''
Death is not a physical person but it will cease to exist because it will be destroyed when figuratively thrown into a physical lake of fire

PastorAIO:
I know the bible says that. that is not the point I was making. If you are not stupid go and read it again and respond intelligently.

Even sef, come to think of it. Cutting of the hand is not hyperbole. Otherwise the reasonable thing jesus was suggesting would be to just chop a finger off or cut the wrist a bit rather than excessively cutting off the whole thing.

And neither would 'it rained monkeys and Muttleylaffs' be hyperbole. Hyperbole would be saying that you are caught in a torrential rainfall when in fact it is just drizzling.
God bless you and your therapist
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by PastorAIO: 8:58am On Jun 05, 2017
Behold!! The effects of irreligion and satanism....

MuttleyLaff:
w w w.dictionary.com/browse/brouhahaa
Brouhaha: loud confused noise; commotion; uproar.

e n.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brouhaha
A brouhaha, from French brouhaha,
is a state of social agitation when a minor incident gets out of control, sometimes referred to as an uproar or hubbub

Where is the noise, uproar or commotion?
Where and what is ''brouhaha'' in me saying:
''Actually Cyrus did worship Marduk.
Cyrus' admission is found in the ''The Cyrus Cylinder'', a cuneiform tablet now in the British Museum
''

Going on at length? Banging on about it?
Didnt know you're a snowflake

Aje kun iya ni o je. Aje kun iya ni o je
E ni ti o to nina, tin de na de ni'. Aje kun iya ni o je

Is it by force? Are you deaf of hearing?

What part in
''I will publish my replies in my own time. Until then I am in waiting mode and still waiting''
do you have a problem with understanding?

You're lying like a persia rug.

No, He isnt.
I simply used a crude word to explain a point

Keep up misquoting me ooo.
Sooner than you'll know that your pinocchio nose will soon fall and drop off

Matthew 5:30 is a text born out of an adultery context

Do yourself a favour and read Matthew 5:27-28 (i.e. one-two verses above Matthew 5:30)
and then Matthew 5:31-32 (i.e. one-two verses below Matthew 5:30)
to see that adultery is the crux and subject matter of how ''cutting off hands'' came in to being at the teaching on the mountain

You've made a mockery and nonsense of sentence, in not tying in the sentence along with the crux of the matter taught in its paragraph
What you should have being thinking of is why is Jesus using Matthew 5:30 to serve as a deterrent to curb adultery

What I am saying is, Jesus used and said Ghenna in Matt 5:22

Sheol is more of a proper and real biblical Israelite concept of where the dead are ''interned''
Death is not a physical person but it will cease to exist because it will be destroyed when figuratively thrown into a physical lake of fire

God bless you and your therapist
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by MuttleyLaff: 9:20am On Jun 05, 2017
PastorAIO:
Behold!! The effects of irreligion and satanism....
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 2:18pm On Jun 05, 2017
mfaniyi:
This is sweet sir. I appreciate you. Jesus is the end of the law for all you believe. And the salvation we have is one that lasts forever, starting from when we receive Christ.

Pls, we want more of this sir
Thank you so much my brother..... Yes.. what u said there is all true..

Click on my profile name and you will see so many topics teaching about Christ Jesus and His Finished Work on the Cross. Truths about our new birth in Christ and generally how the Cross of Christ changed everything for humanity... You will love my topics. Have a great day my broda.
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 10:56pm On Aug 09, 2018
Thank you Lord Jesus
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:57am On Aug 10, 2018
Morning
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:43pm On Aug 14, 2018
Cool
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:17pm On Nov 22, 2018
Thank you Lord Jesus
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 3:28pm On Dec 05, 2018
Now
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:15pm On May 08, 2019
Great
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 10:00pm On Jan 11, 2020
Yes Lord
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:11pm On Jan 21, 2020
Yes
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:43pm On May 13, 2020
Yes!!
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 10:51pm On May 13, 2020
Evening
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:36am On May 14, 2020
Yes!!
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:11pm On May 14, 2020
Yes
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 10:13am On May 16, 2020
Yeah
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:21am On May 17, 2020
Yes!!
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:37pm On Jun 11, 2020
Yes......
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 4:58pm On Jun 13, 2020
Yes
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:24pm On Jun 13, 2020
Cool
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 10:44pm On Apr 10, 2021
Yesss
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 12:29pm On Apr 11, 2021
Goood
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:55pm On Apr 11, 2021
Yes
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 3:40pm On Apr 12, 2021
Yeah
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:44pm On Apr 12, 2021
Now
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:46am On Apr 13, 2021
Yeah
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 2:36pm On Apr 13, 2021
Yeah....
Re: Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:55pm On Apr 13, 2021
Yesss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Happens When People Die? (find Out) / Shiloh 2011 "waves Of Glory" / Should Christians Care About Physical Appearance?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.