Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,919 members, 7,806,674 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:32 PM

He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview (2628 Views)

How I Got A Job In An Oil Firm Through Nairaland! / Mouth Watering Job Offer..but..... / What Will You Do When You Missed A Call From An Interviewer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by onismate: 4:46am On Nov 19, 2016
You can’t have everything in life, but you can have some you desire. In life, there are steps and stages to greatness. And NYSC is a phase in some people’s life just like me. Not everyone who just finished service got a job immediately, and not all of them would have a good story to tell. At first, I saw NYSC as just a scam, but it wasn’t. It’s a reality that shapes the future, for those who are willing. An experience I will ever live to remember.

Mid-September 2016, I was on my way to Port Harcourt from my Place of assignment for pressing matters. I was fortunate enough. I met a man who gave me a ride. He said he came to do some few things and he was on his way back to Port Harcourt. He took me in his Toyota Avalon car, and we started talking. He asked me my name, where I was serving and what I studied in school. I told him. He only told me his name as we talked. We talked about so many things from politics, sports and the current unemployment rate in Nigeria.

I got to the direction I was heading to. His car stopped and I came down. He said there was a job opening in one of the firms in Port Harcourt so if I was interested I should come in the next two weeks with my CV to the place. He gave me the address and he left. It was an oil and gas company in Trans Amadi.

Two weeks later, I got my CV ready which I had earlier printed. I was excited because it was just a few days to my passing out of NYSC. I was feeling fly because I was going to get a job just immediately after my service.

I got to the company in Trans Amadi. It was really a nice place to work. As I saw the environment, so many thoughts began running through my mind. “How I am going to work there.” I want to eat the oil money.

I was in deep thoughts when one of the staffs asked if I was part of the interview, because he saw me standing and looking around. I told him “Yes,” I was part of the interview. He said I should go and join the others at the waiting room.

I got to the waiting room and met about 7 candidates for the interview. I had thought I was the only one for the interview. But I was wrong. I was even told by another candidate that I was fortunate because others had submitted the CV some weeks back.

All candidates for the interview were seated when one of the staff came and addressed us on working for the company. He doesn’t even need to explain. With what I saw, working in that company is best to none. But he said something that struck some of us. He said before the company picks the best candidates, applicants will sure pass through logical test. I began wondering the kind of logical test he means.

After addressing us, he collected my CV, because I they were yet to have my CV.

An hour later, one of the staff came and told us that the interview had begun and we would be going one after the other. The staff asked me to go first. I was so scared. “That would be my first ever interview. I had never gone for any interview in my life.”

I told him they should allow another person to go first instead of me. The staff smiled, “you are scared?” he asked. He called another person and he refused going. Other candidates were refusing to go first. So who go come go! it just looked as if we were not ready for the interview. no one wants to go first. We just want to stay back so the first person that goes, comes back and gist us how it went.

One of us who is a lady summoned the courage and said she would go. She followed the staff and they entered the interview room. And we began waiting for her to come out for the next person to go in. 30 minutes gone and she’s not yet out.

An hour later, the lady came out with a man from the room, with smile on her face. The man directed her to go to another office. The man said the interview was over, and that they have gotten the person they wanted which is the lady. So the rest of us can go home. All of us (candidates) began wondering what was going on.

“So they wanted to choose just one person and they invited us?”

“What kind of company is this?”

“why will they pick the first person when they have not tried the others?”

So many thoughts running through my head. We were asked to leave the premises. I was so disappointed. As I was leaving, the security called me that someone wants to see me. I followed him. And it was the man the man that carried me in his car, who invited me for the interview. He said he doesn’t need to ask me how the interview went because he saw everything. “In life, to succeed; rule number one, don’t be number two,” he said. I was trying to understand that statement when he said there was camera at the waiting room we were. He said he saw us candidates rejecting to go first for the interview. He said that was so wrong. And that even in business when there are competitors, one has to be best, remain the best. “You don’t just be number 2 because you must be the best.” “Even in everything positive, strive to be at the forefront no matter what.” He said I really goofed big time when I was asked to go first. I should have just gone. Even if I failed, they will still hire and train me.
After much talk, I left the premises feeling sober for myself. But at least I have learnt my lessons.
To succeed in Life; Rule Number one (1), Don’t Be number two (2)

http://www.hovabuzz.com/frontline/1241-to-succeed-in-life-rule-number-one-1-don-t-be-number-two-2

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by breakingbad(m): 4:47am On Nov 19, 2016
stories that touch

1 Like

Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by kabayomi(m): 5:14am On Nov 19, 2016
Lol... I have learnt and bookmark your lesson for future purposes grin

Thank you for this experience wink
Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by eph12(m): 5:33am On Nov 19, 2016
I have seen this movie before

2 Likes

Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by omonighoblessing(f): 6:02am On Nov 19, 2016
Ok thanks.
Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by Tunmmyzhe: 6:13am On Nov 19, 2016
That's what fear does
Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by adebayo201: 6:59am On Nov 19, 2016
eph12:
You this man!!!
cheesy

2 Likes

Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by ademi4wealth(f): 7:01am On Nov 19, 2016
Wow thanks Op. Another lesson
Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by ednut1(m): 7:02am On Nov 19, 2016
as soon as i saw port Harcourt i knew it was hovabuzz and stopped reading
Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by MoyoGENERAL: 7:10am On Nov 19, 2016
So sad! You think say Na like dragnet exam in batches where guys intentionally write late to scramble likely questions from early writers! #I can't just Imagine how the room will be when you guys were arguing who to go first#
# Baba, abeg go now,.......No jare, nor be you dem call first, Na you be Chairman, you enter first............una wan make I go come use me learn( Omo Eko layemi , I NoR dull o).........anyway I'll go(the lady)...
E never finish, see their faces!

1 Like

Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by 0955eb027(m): 7:32am On Nov 19, 2016
Man, thats a crazy one. Bitter lesson to learn.

1 Like

Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by Lastking147(m): 8:38am On Nov 19, 2016
Ewooo
Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by Lastking147(m): 8:43am On Nov 19, 2016

y
Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by phiszo(m): 8:53am On Nov 19, 2016
Fake story. undecided
Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by Idydarling(f): 9:06am On Nov 19, 2016
i wonder how everybody can be that fearful for a job they came for hmmmm
Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by PresVA: 9:10am On Nov 19, 2016
op and his fake stories again!

You were invited for an interview and all of you refused entering because you were scared mtcheew .. and they were deliberating on who will enter first?? grin . in the supposedly big company?

odimma grin grin angry ..

please tell us another story. ..

2 Likes

Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by d4guy: 9:14am On Nov 19, 2016
eph12:
Jambite spotted.

1 Like

Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by Mcbussy(m): 9:17am On Nov 19, 2016
You messed up big time. In the corporate world, the display of fear already shows ur self worth, that u don't see urself as worthy or capable. So why should the organisation think you are the best man for the job when u don't believe you are?

Refusing to go in for the interview was just wrong....when it's ur turn, it's ur turn. If you pass that down, then you ain't ready for the job. Glad you learnt sumthn.
Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by BuhariNaWah: 9:17am On Nov 19, 2016
Eyah!
The gal became the Firstlady!
Shame on you guys!
Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by eph12(m): 9:33am On Nov 19, 2016
d4guy:

Jambite spotted.
Na so o cry
Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by Mcbussy(m): 9:36am On Nov 19, 2016
Idydarling:
i wonder how everybody can be that fearful for a job they came for hmmmm

Fear is contagious dear. He came last and he was given d opportunity to go in first for a reason. The moment he turned that down out of fear, the others suddenly felt; "why should I go when I wasn't the one called". If he had just gone in, I'm sure every other person would av gotten a fair hearing....but he actually spread the fear and made every other person except the girl show they didn't believe in themselves. grin
Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by PresVA: 11:26am On Nov 19, 2016
Mcbussy:

Fear is contagious dear. He came last and he was given d opportunity to go in first for a reason. The moment he turned that down out of fear, the others suddenly felt; "why should I go when I wasn't the one called". If he had just gone in, I'm sure every other person would av gotten a fair hearing....but he actually spread the fear and made every other person except the girl show they didn't believe in themselves. grin
hmmmm.. so you actually believe this bull crap?? like an HR will invite you in for an interview you came for and you'll refuse? undecided every other person will also refuse?
And then they were deliberating on who to enter first? and the HR will be there waiting for them? grin grin undecided
except say na play them come play shaaa...

op should compose a more credible story nxt time..
Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by KELVIN086: 11:28am On Nov 19, 2016
hovabuz sabi lie sha.
y all their stories dey always relate to fresh grad and oil job.
Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by OgidiOlu3(m): 11:31am On Nov 19, 2016
Why would you even reject the offer to go first?! That would only make you seem unprepared or not confident. Good you've learnt your lesson anyway.
Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by ezra1990: 12:18pm On Nov 19, 2016
Hmmm lessons learnt in a hard way....anyway brace urself up, all join for experience. but Hmmm lessons learnt in a hard way....anyway brace urself up, all join for experience. but wait oh, which is better ur own experience or other people's?
Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by Mcbussy(m): 1:29pm On Nov 19, 2016
PresVA:
hmmmm.. so you actually believe this bull crap?? like an HR will invite you in for an interview you came for and you'll refuse? undecided every other person will also refuse?
And then they were deliberating on who to enter first? and the HR will be there waiting for them? grin grin undecided
except say na play them come play shaaa...

op should compose a more credible story nxt time..

Lolz, well, it's not my place to decide whether the story is true or false. But I do know that sometimes such opportunities are handed down to people wif very little experience and they usually don't know what to do with it.
Re: He Missed A Mouth Watering Job In An Oil Firm On The Day Of The Interview by 9jaBloke: 2:33pm On Nov 19, 2016
Na woman dem de find.

(1) (Reply)

RN Urgently Needed In A Clinic In Ibadan / Jobs In Various Sectors Of Nigerian Construction Industries / Ferma / Sure P Information!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.