Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,738 members, 7,802,233 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:20 AM

Why Does My Laptop Keep Shutting Down During Installation Of Windows Xp Pro? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Why Does My Laptop Keep Shutting Down During Installation Of Windows Xp Pro? (5139 Views)

Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? / Windows 10 Problems And Solutions (official Microsoft Windows 10 links added) / Computer Restarts While Booting Up Reaching The Windows Xp Logo Stage Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does My Laptop Keep Shutting Down During Installation Of Windows Xp Pro? by kunz: 9:01pm On Jan 05, 2007
Hi everyone,
I put in the xp pro disk, and start up and then press any key and it loads up and i agree and then as it keeps going to selecting the partition, etc, all of a sudden my computer just shuts down, everytime i do it, it just shuts down, my power is fine, my battery is fine, but i dont know why itkeeps shutting down? is there something blocking it from letting me to install xp pro? or could it be an internal problem? i.e. memory etc? i'm not sure, please help, thanks
Re: Why Does My Laptop Keep Shutting Down During Installation Of Windows Xp Pro? by alexis(m): 9:34pm On Jan 05, 2007
try another Installation CD i.e XP home edition, if it installs, upgrade to XP pro.
Re: Why Does My Laptop Keep Shutting Down During Installation Of Windows Xp Pro? by kunz: 9:49pm On Jan 05, 2007
hi alexis,
I have tried both but a to no avail.I tried installing linux and it worked perfectly.
So what can i do oooooo!!! cry
Re: Why Does My Laptop Keep Shutting Down During Installation Of Windows Xp Pro? by alexis(m): 9:53pm On Jan 05, 2007
that is pretty strange but there you go - we have just set free another victim of Microsh*t crapiness, grin
Re: Why Does My Laptop Keep Shutting Down During Installation Of Windows Xp Pro? by nazzyon(m): 8:55am On Jan 06, 2007
What's you processor model and what the speed, Give some informations about your laptop. Not all boards can supports advanced windows. Try to give features.

With that, help will be easier.
Re: Why Does My Laptop Keep Shutting Down During Installation Of Windows Xp Pro? by Alexos(m): 10:10am On Jan 06, 2007
Thats rather strange and annoying as well.

Is your system a Laptop or a Desktop?
Re: Why Does My Laptop Keep Shutting Down During Installation Of Windows Xp Pro? by hayprof(m): 8:20am On Jan 07, 2007
I put in the xp pro disk, and start up and then press any key and it loads up and i agree and then as it keeps going to selecting the partition, etc, all of a sudden my computer just shuts down,
-Check urPartition There culd be a Problem there, u said u installed Linux right?
Y dont u install Windows First Then Linux after then undecided wink
Re: Why Does My Laptop Keep Shutting Down During Installation Of Windows Xp Pro? by roflmao: 7:18pm On Jan 08, 2007
Sounds like a partition problem to me. If you've previously installed Linux on the same machine as you said then it might be that you have installed it on the entire drive which means your HD is formatted to ext2 or ext3 which Windows ain't friends with.

I don't understand exactly what you're trying to achieve: maybe you want to a create a Linux & Windows dual boot or replace your Linux with Windows. Either case you'll need to have a free space for the second OS. It's advisable to install Windows before Linux if you're attempting to have two OSs. Here's my suggestion:

Case 1: Replace Linux with Windows
- First pretend to re-installing Linux. When you get to the disk partitioning stage;
- Delete the existing partition and commit the operation to free up the disk space.
- Quit the installation process.
- Now try installing Windows.

Case 2: Linux and Windows Dual Boot
- Use a Partitioning (PartitionMagic in Windows) software to create free space for the second OS (Do not format the free space in any way!)
- Then install the second OS ensuring that you've selected the OS to be installed on the free space.

If you are attempting to create a dual boot situation and you've already installed Linux I'm afraid you might have to perform these two steps (i.e First replace Linux with Windows before installing Linux).
Re: Why Does My Laptop Keep Shutting Down During Installation Of Windows Xp Pro? by hayprof(m): 8:53pm On Jan 08, 2007
If you are attempting to create a dual boot situation and you've already installed Linux I'm afraid you might have to perform these two steps (i.e First replace Linux with Windows before installing Linux).

-Exactly! wink
Re: Why Does My Laptop Keep Shutting Down During Installation Of Windows Xp Pro? by adewaleafolabi(m): 12:09am On Jan 09, 2007
i think what happened was that xp refused to load on his pc then in frustration he installed linux.@ahmed hw's ur backup coming?
Re: Why Does My Laptop Keep Shutting Down During Installation Of Windows Xp Pro? by nazzyon(m): 12:15am On Jan 09, 2007
Dude whatever u do put ur Hard Disk into consideration because there is no use stuffing disk with operating software and not having enough space for your main needs.
Re: Why Does My Laptop Keep Shutting Down During Installation Of Windows Xp Pro? by kunz: 4:28am On Jan 09, 2007
I have tried this,but all to no avail;

Case 1: Replace Linux with Windows
- First pretend to re-installing Linux. When you get to the disk partitioning stage;
- Delete the existing partition and commit the operation to free up the disk space.
- Quit the installation process.
- Now try installing Windows.

Actually i'm using a siemens notebook with a 40G hard disk, 1GB RAM, the processor is AMD Athlon 64. Initially,i installed windows first then linux came second.After a few months the system developed this terrible problem. From the looks of things i might have to put the system up for sale.What do u think?
Re: Why Does My Laptop Keep Shutting Down During Installation Of Windows Xp Pro? by adewaleafolabi(m): 11:21am On Jan 09, 2007
cutting off the head doesn't solve the head ache you know. so far linux runs then the problem should be something really small so have u tried another install disc? also during installation try and remove any unnecessary hardware windows is funny you know. and linux isn't that terrible that u can't use it as your primary os

(1) (Reply)

Uk Used Dell Latitude 7480 - 8gb Ram, 512gb Ssd, 7th Gen Core I5, 10hrs Battery / Dell 16GB RAM, 105GB SSD+1TB HDD, 7th Gen. Quad-Core i7, 4GB Nvidia GTX 1050Ti / Need Help To Reconfigure Easy Browsing Software

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.