Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,480 members, 7,801,210 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:29 PM

Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? (2112 Views)

I’m Pregnant For My Sister's Brother-In-Law. I’m Scared To Tell My Sister / Would You Let Your Wife Wear This Out? / Is It Wise For A Man To Marry A Divorcee Who Has 3 Little Kids? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by finewoman(f): 2:53pm On Nov 19, 2016
hello guys, we are having dis argument in d office so i would love to hear ur opinion abt it, is it wise or not to tell your wife the exact figure you earn and why?
Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by POWEROFPEACE(m): 2:57pm On Nov 19, 2016
Is not bad but depending on whom your wife really is. Most women are very unwise when it comes to spending money.

6 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by RoyalBlak007: 3:10pm On Nov 19, 2016
Better not to tell her...
cos she might be keeping tabs on how you spend ur money

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by SadSongz: 3:49pm On Nov 19, 2016
It depends. Marriages are like relationships. Some have depths, while some are just there. This is why I hope my future wife will also end up being my BFF.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by Acidosis(m): 3:55pm On Nov 19, 2016
If you earn on a monthly basis, you can't hide it unless you're heartless. For business men who earn daily or weekly, you can't tell exactly. However, your wife should have an idea of your average earning. This is good for a healthy relationship.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by Nutase: 4:32pm On Nov 19, 2016
SadSongz:
It depends. Marriages are like relationships. Some have depths, while some are just there. This is why I hope my future wife will also end up being my BFF.
word

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Nov 19, 2016
Well it depends on your kind of wife. Its a good idea to open up to your wife about many things including your income and its a wiser idea NOT to open up to your wife about some things including your income. So where you fall into is a matter of what kinda wife you married

If you've been to places like hairdressing salons and nursery schs where women usually dominate you would understand that apart from spending frivolously on just goodies, many women talk away their husbands destiny to the extent that their marriage lose respect in the eyes of people. There's a saying that the brain of men are designed to act while the brain of women are designed to talk. Talking is pleasurable for women hence the ease of gossip

Then also if familiarity has eaten deep into your marriage, it may not be a wise idea cus if she see you finish, respect may reduce. It takes special grace to see all of each other and still respect each other highly.

So my dear generally speaking I would say no. But personally to you knowing who your wife is...maybe yes, maybe no

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Nov 19, 2016
How much you earn is something you're even supposed to share with one another before you get married - when you're examining your finances together or during financial counseling with an expert, both of which are important to do, prior to the marriage. If you didn't share them before you got married and are questioning whether to share them now, then you really have no business being married. Why get married to someone you can't trust?

finewoman:
hello guys, we are having dis argument in d office so i would love to hear ur opinion abt it, is it wise or not to tell your wife the exact figure you earn and why?

5 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by finewoman(f): 7:24pm On Nov 19, 2016
wow nice coments , thnks
Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by nnamdibig(m): 7:50pm On Nov 19, 2016
If as a man you think you can't tell your wife how much you are earning monthly, I can only say you are not yet ready to marry. Or if you are not comfortable telling your wife your monthly earnings, I think you married the wrong person.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by ILAB(f): 8:19pm On Nov 19, 2016
It's not just wise,but necessary,why is she your wife?
Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by eyinjuege: 8:25pm On Nov 19, 2016
I'm indifferent about this. Provided you're able to meet your share of the responsibilities at home without any hassles.
However, do not complain when expectations are too high. Most people, your spouse, family, friends believe you earn more than you do, and usually have high expectations.
Some families actually function fine without having joint finances

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by Amicable24: 8:45pm On Nov 19, 2016
POWEROFPEACE:
Is not bad but depending on whom your wife really is. Most women are very unwise when it comes to spending money.
I agree with this response finewoman.. Why hide it from ur wife if u can trust her??
Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by Amicable24: 8:48pm On Nov 19, 2016
Acidosis:
If you earn on a monthly basis, you can't hide it unless you're heartless. For business men who earn daily or weekly, you can't tell exactly. However, your wife should have an idea of your average earning. This is good for a healthy relationship.
@finewoman, take note of this too, nice response
Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Nov 19, 2016
If you dont trust a woman, dont marry her.
Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by AZeD1(m): 9:31pm On Nov 19, 2016
If you cannot tell your spouse how much you earn, then you are wrongly married.

How the fuc*k are you guys going to plan your life(expenses/savings et al)?

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by POWEROFPEACE(m): 5:24am On Nov 20, 2016
Amicable24:

I agree with this response finewoman.. Why hide it from ur wife if u can trust her??
If your wife is not the understanding type, always want you to spend every money you got on her, unless you hide it from her, you will always quarrel and remember, trust has limits and categories
Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by Godmother(f): 6:56am On Nov 20, 2016
The type of woman you marry should determine whether you reveal your salary or not. Some women will make so much demands when they don't know exactly how much you have as they believe you have but are hiding it. But when they know exactly what you have, they help you manage.
Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by finewoman(f): 7:18pm On Nov 20, 2016
wow thnks guys for the reponse. i think i knw better now.
Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by EfemenaXY: 7:39pm On Nov 20, 2016
finewoman:

A man might have his reasons for not disclosing his true income to his wife such as her being a spendthrift. Being careless with money is just as immature as hiding the truth from them rather than getting them to think and act responsibly.

Additionally, hiding the truth from one's spouse only serves as a breeding ground for mistrust and problems in the long run for both parties.
Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by TheCork(m): 11:17am On Sep 06, 2020
finewoman:
wow thnks guys for the reponse. i think i knw better now.

Am writing a books to help struggling women achieve their goal & I need yor assistanse to complete the novell. Was your bra size, why do u hate wereing thong & r u lightskin please? smiley
Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by simpleseyi: 12:16pm On Sep 06, 2020
Any man that tries it will regret it. Men that did this in the past ate still regretting till date
Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by Righteousness89(m): 8:50am On Sep 07, 2020
My Wife knows my Pay...
I also know Her Pay..

What is Most Important is Marrying God's Will!
If you are Patient Enough to Marry God's will, you will have No issues with Salary and all that..

Whatever comes into the Home is For the Home. .

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by Nobody: 9:21am On Sep 07, 2020
Yes it is wise to let her know so she won't expect so much from you beyond your financial strength. And also to know when to come in and assist him financially, otherwise the woman will think you're lieing whenever you give excuses each time she ask for money for upkeep.
Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by pocohantas(f): 9:43am On Sep 07, 2020
I don’t know if it is right or wrong, I sha know I (will) tell. It is just money and I believe in financial transparency. If I don’t trust you with my money, I don’t see how I should trust you with my future, life and body.

However, I don’t ask. I don’t ask Nigerian men a lot of questions because it sets their brain on overdrive. I also avoid talking about many things with them, except they give the cue.

At my former place of work, a colleague forgot her phone at home and almost had a heart attack because she thought her husband would stumble on the phone. I looked at her with pity, can’t imagine living that life, but many people live that life. I advise people to be open about these things, makes it easier to achieve a common goal. This is like pouring water on a stone, humans will always be humans.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by DoubleEngine007: 9:53am On Sep 07, 2020
I can not tell my wife the exact amount I earn.
My opinion anyways. Don't ask me why,but all I know is "E get why"

Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by Mindlog: 11:18am On Sep 07, 2020
If two people in a committed relationship that is clearly heading to marriage cannot trust each other enough to discuss their finances, who is deceiving who?
Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by crackhaus: 11:28am On Sep 07, 2020
As long as we both know what each of us earn down to the kobo, then it's fine.

However, once one spouse becomes secretive about theirs, it's just common sense for the other to be secretive about theirs as well.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by olawalepopoola: 11:32am On Sep 07, 2020
My wife knows my income and she remits all her business gains to me at the end of the month to make decision.
My wife is my manager. If not for her my salary may not be enough. I also know that it has increased the trust she has in me and I in her.
Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by ibrutex(m): 12:10pm On Sep 07, 2020
Sure na, no need to hide your income from your wife ........But make sure you exagirate the fees you are paying such as debt borrowed from company , tax,pension and hospital due if available....

this will enable you to have some residue to fall back on, trust me you really need it and be smart with it.

BTW.....I'm married if you may wonder.
Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by AtoningBlood(m): 5:58pm On Sep 10, 2020
Re: Is It Wise To Tell Your Wife How Much You Earn? by AtoningBlood(m): 6:04pm On Sep 10, 2020
RoyalBlak007:

Better not to tell her...
cos she might be keeping tabs on how you spend ur money

What if the woman earns more?

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need A Driver In Lagos / 'My Manhood Is On Fire':Married Nigerian Man Begging A Lady 4 Sex Exposed / New Method Used By Fraudsters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.