Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,835 members, 7,806,352 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:11 PM

A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen (54382 Views)

Little Girl Lives With Stomach, Liver & Bowel Outside Her Body In UK (Graphic) / Young Flexible Nigerian Girl Stretches Her Body Anyhow (Photos) / Lady Diagnosed With Cancer At 23 And Had Her Eggs Frozen, Shares Her Story. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by gabonsky: 5:31am On Nov 20, 2016
A 14-year-old girl has just been granted the right to have her body cryonically frozen in the hope that she will be brought back to life one day.
The teen, from London, was dying from cancer when she took her case to the high court.
"I don’t want to be buried underground. I want to live and live longer and I think that in the future they might find a cure for my cancer and wake me up," she said.

"I want to have this chance. This is my wish."
Cryonics is the practise of preserving a human body in extremely cold temperatures after they die, with the hope of being able to revive them sometime in the future when science has advanced enough.

People who undergo the procedure must be declared legally dead, as it’s illegal to cryonically preserve someone who’s still alive.

However, legally dead is not the same as completely dead. Legal death occurs when the heart has stopped beating, but you’re technically still alive until all brain function ceases.
Cryonics works in this narrow but crucial window, to preserve that tiny amount of cell function that’s still happening.

If you sign up at one facility, the Alcor Life Extension Foundation in Arizona, the protocol consists of four elements: deployment and standby, stabilisation, cryoprotectant perfusion, and cryogenic cool-down.

1. Deployment and standby
You have to be signed up with a cryonics facility before your death, so that the team can be prepared. Decomposition starts happening pretty much immediately, so the window of time for the team to start the preservation process is narrow.

They will still try though. On the Alcor website it states: "it is a general principle of cryonics that cryopreservation should proceed after legal death even under poor biological conditions when standard protocol procedures cannot be performed."

A team is notified of your death and rushes to your side once you’ve passed, and they stabilise your body by supplying your brain with oxygen and blood to preserve minimal function.

2. Stabilisation
After this, you are injected with heparis — an anticoagulant that prevents blood clots — and packed in ice. Your lungs might be ventilated too.

If it will take a long time to be transported to the operating room, your blood may be replaced with an organ preservation solution.

3. Cryoprotectant perfusion
The freezing begins when you reach the cryonics facility. Your body cannot simply be frozen in liquid nitrogen because it would damage your cells. You are around 70 percent water, so if it all froze, your cells would shatter.

Instead, the cryonics team starts a process called vitrification. They remove all the water from your cells and replace it with a chemical mixture of organ preservation and antifreeze chemicals called a cryoprotectant.

In theory, this protects organs and tissues from forming ice crystals and instead are put into a state of suspended animation. It’s the same technique that has dramatically improved the way eggs and embryos are frozen and thawed in fertility treatments.

Vitrification has successfully been used to freeze small pieces of tissue, and scientists even managed to preserve and recover the brain of a rabbit.

However, we’re probably still a long way off from being able to freeze and thaw larger structures, as vitrifying organs such as human kidneys for transplantation has not been done successfully.

4. Cryogenic cooldown
Once vitrified, your body is cooled on a bed of dry ice until it reaches -130 degrees Celsius. Then you’re placed head down in a large metal tank filled with liquid nitrogen at around -196 degrees Celsius.

It costs over £100,000 (US$125,000) to get your whole body cryonically preserved, but for a smaller fee, you can choose just to freeze your brain. This relies on the idea that one day in the future, scientists will be able to grow a clone of your body and you will somehow be revived.

That's still not the end of it though
Nobody has ever been revived from being frozen, because this technology doesn’t exist. It also hasn’t been around enough for everyone who has been preserved to be cured from whatever illness was killing them in the first place.

That being said, medicine has come a long way in that people are often, technically, brought back from the dead. Defibrillators can shock your heart into a regular rhythm again, and in some surgeries, people are cooled down to very low temperatures so doctors can operate on aneurysms.

There’s also the ethical issues to consider about whether a clone grown from your cells would really be 'you' or not. With the brain being such a complex organ, it’s also impossible to know how much damage has been done by the process until you wake them up again.

The biggest problem with revival would be thawing a person the right way at the right speed. If it isn’t done exactly right, your cells could turn to ice and be destroyed.

The first person to be cryonically preserved was 73-year-old James Bedford, who was frozen in 1967. He died of kidney cancer and was frozen a few hours after his death. In the cryonics community, January 12th is celebrated as 'Bedford Day'.

According to Alcor, Bedford’s body is still in a good condition. It’s quite possible that his metastasised cancer would be treatable now if he were revived, it’s just the warming him back up again that needs to be figured out.

Source: http://gabrielatanbiyi..com.ng/2016/11/a-14-year-old-with-cancer-just-won_19.html

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Nobody: 5:40am On Nov 20, 2016
gabonsky:
A 14-year-old girl has just been granted the right to have her body cryonically frozen in the hope that she will be brought back to life one day.
The teen, from London, was dying from cancer when she took her case to the high court.
"I don’t want to be buried underground. I want to live and live longer and I think that in the future they might find a cure for my cancer and wake me up," she said.

"I want to have this chance. This is my wish."
Cryonics is the practise of preserving a human body in extremely cold temperatures after they die, with the hope of being able to revive them sometime in the future when science has advanced enough.

People who undergo the procedure must be declared legally dead, as it’s illegal to cryonically preserve someone who’s still alive.

However, legally dead is not the same as completely dead. Legal death occurs when the heart has stopped beating, but you’re technically still alive until all brain function ceases.
Cryonics works in this narrow but crucial window, to preserve that tiny amount of cell function that’s still happening.

If you sign up at one facility, the Alcor Life Extension Foundation in Arizona, the protocol consists of four elements: deployment and standby, stabilisation, cryoprotectant perfusion, and cryogenic cool-down.

1. Deployment and standby
You have to be signed up with a cryonics facility before your death, so that the team can be prepared. Decomposition starts happening pretty much immediately, so the window of time for the team to start the preservation process is narrow.

They will still try though. On the Alcor website it states: "it is a general principle of cryonics that cryopreservation should proceed after legal death even under poor biological conditions when standard protocol procedures cannot be performed."

A team is notified of your death and rushes to your side once you’ve passed, and they stabilise your body by supplying your brain with oxygen and blood to preserve minimal function.

2. Stabilisation
After this, you are injected with heparis — an anticoagulant that prevents blood clots — and packed in ice. Your lungs might be ventilated too.

If it will take a long time to be transported to the operating room, your blood may be replaced with an organ preservation solution.

3. Cryoprotectant perfusion
The freezing begins when you reach the cryonics facility. Your body cannot simply be frozen in liquid nitrogen because it would damage your cells. You are around 70 percent water, so if it all froze, your cells would shatter.

Instead, the cryonics team starts a process called vitrification. They remove all the water from your cells and replace it with a chemical mixture of organ preservation and antifreeze chemicals called a cryoprotectant.

In theory, this protects organs and tissues from forming ice crystals and instead are put into a state of suspended animation. It’s the same technique that has dramatically improved the way eggs and embryos are frozen and thawed in fertility treatments.

Vitrification has successfully been used to freeze small pieces of tissue, and scientists even managed to preserve and recover the brain of a rabbit.

However, we’re probably still a long way off from being able to freeze and thaw larger structures, as vitrifying organs such as human kidneys for transplantation has not been done successfully.

4. Cryogenic cooldown
Once vitrified, your body is cooled on a bed of dry ice until it reaches -130 degrees Celsius. Then you’re placed head down in a large metal tank filled with liquid nitrogen at around -196 degrees Celsius.

It costs over £100,000 (US$125,000) to get your whole body cryonically preserved, but for a smaller fee, you can choose just to freeze your brain. This relies on the idea that one day in the future, scientists will be able to grow a clone of your body and you will somehow be revived.

That's still not the end of it though
Nobody has ever been revived from being frozen, because this technology doesn’t exist. It also hasn’t been around enough for everyone who has been preserved to be cured from whatever illness was killing them in the first place.

That being said, medicine has come a long way in that people are often, technically, brought back from the dead. Defibrillators can shock your heart into a regular rhythm again, and in some surgeries, people are cooled down to very low temperatures so doctors can operate on aneurysms.

There’s also the ethical issues to consider about whether a clone grown from your cells would really be 'you' or not. With the brain being such a complex organ, it’s also impossible to know how much damage has been done by the process until you wake them up again.

The biggest problem with revival would be thawing a person the right way at the right speed. If it isn’t done exactly right, your cells could turn to ice and be destroyed.

The first person to be cryonically preserved was 73-year-old James Bedford, who was frozen in 1967. He died of kidney cancer and was frozen a few hours after his death. In the cryonics community, January 12th is celebrated as 'Bedford Day'.

According to Alcor, Bedford’s body is still in a good condition. It’s quite possible that his metastasised cancer would be treatable now if he were revived, it’s just the warming him back up again that needs to be figured out.

Source: http://gabrielatanbiyi..com.ng/2016/11/a-14-year-old-with-cancer-just-won_19.html
The idea of creating a clone and transferring the brain to it sounds like an idea I would try.

4 Likes

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Davash222(m): 5:58am On Nov 20, 2016

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by dingbang(m): 6:06am On Nov 20, 2016
undecided

Please someone should tell that girl Dat spirits don't live in d body after death! It's either heaven or hell!

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by saheedbadmus(m): 6:33am On Nov 20, 2016
Na wao wetin we no go hear or see

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by orunto27: 6:37am On Nov 20, 2016
Cryonics, Euthanasia, Fetus Abortion etc are human rights and should be legalized. Henceforth, all female suicide bombers caught and disarmed should be compulsorily and legally "CRYONIZED". Nigeria should start this revolution.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by gabonsky: 7:42am On Nov 20, 2016
Muafrika2:

The idea of creating a clone and transferring the brain to it sounds like an idea I would try.

Lo bro, you want try am

1 Like

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by stiles009(m): 7:54am On Nov 20, 2016
this company sound more like a sham. how can u purport to preserve a dying body without first perfecting the act of unfreezing the said body.

25 Likes

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:41pm On Nov 20, 2016
Yup... Cryonics again. smiley

Taking a peek from Marvel comics' captain america, this is about exactly what was done to him. Lolll

Well, seriously, it's her choice, her life but the risk involved is big. That window that exists between stopping the heart and ensuring there's brain activity before the final stage of "freezing" occurs is not just critical...... It is "absolutely delicate" and complex.

All the same, such procedures arent new to medicine and science. "Stopping the heart" for a limited/defined period was used to also seperate the bender boys back in 1987 by Carson and is still used to tackle delicate surgeries.

13 Likes

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:42pm On Nov 20, 2016
Then use of Pluripotent Stem cells hi-tech is the way to go for you buddy... smiley

But uhmm... Brain transplant has not been perfected just yet.

But a brain could be grown. #StemCells smiley

Muafrika2:

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by gabonsky: 1:23pm On Nov 20, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Then use of Pluripotent Stem cells hi-tech is the way to go for you buddy... smiley

What are the principles of science behind these theory?
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:40pm On Nov 20, 2016
The use of cloning (somatic cell nuclear transfer) and Stem cells are not "Theory" at all.... smiley

They are actually practical. You gotta understand firstly that they arent theory before you get to grab the principles.

And by the word "principles" what exactly do you mean?

gabonsky:

What are the principles of science behind these theory?

1 Like

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Nobody: 2:28pm On Nov 20, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

I would be like moving into a new house. It's a great idea. So long as the stem cells don't come from aborted babies.

1 Like

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:33pm On Nov 20, 2016
Looollll... They dont have to come from aborted babies.

They can be derived from adult cells triggered into pluripotency to resemble or look exactly like the embryonic stem cells from blastocysts of embryos smiley

So still on the idea? wink

Muafrika2:

I would be like moving into a new house. It's a great idea. So long as the stem cells don't come from aborted babies.

1 Like

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by gabonsky: 3:27pm On Nov 20, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
The use of cloning (somatic cell nuclear transfer) and Stem cells are not "Theory" at all.... smiley

They are actually practical. You gotta understand firstly that they arent theory before you get to grab the principles.

And by the word "principles" what exactly do you mean?

From what I know is that therapeutic cloning is the process by which a persons DNA is used to grow an embryonic clone or stem cells.

These stem cells can be used in experiments aimed at understanding diseases and developing new treatments for diseases.

If the purpose of cloning is to be used in experimenting and formatting a techniques for treatments of diseases. My question is why do scientist clone?

The 14years old girl is suffering from cancer and she want scientists to clone her so that she will not be buried underground. That is why I am asking what are the principle of science behind this theory or experiments.

Sir, I want to learn more and I can see maybe you are a Doctor.
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:48pm On Nov 20, 2016
Okay... I get you now. Firstly, I'm not a doctor just yet... Loolll. My profile will tell you more. smiley

Cloning have two kinds majorly: Reproductive and Therapeutic cloning.

You're spot on with what therapeutic cloning is all about summarily.

But you must know that "the bolded" is not the only reason for cloning.

Reproductive cloning as regards human cloning is about cloning a full human and not just specific cells. Sometimes, this is done to help couples who cannot procreate.

Also, theoretically, it may be helpful in creating a new body for a patient ravaged by cancer that has metastasized so much through out his/her whole body.

BUT TRUTH IS.... YOUR QUESTION, "WHY DO SCIENTISTS CLONE?" IS STILL KINDA A BIG ENIGMA..... One scientist's reason will defer from the reason(s) of another scientist even though we know some of what cloning actually does and can do.

And the ethics of cloning are still up for debate because of the varying protagonists and antagonists for cloning.

Example: the religious society says, "Dont take the place of GOD..." Loolll

Some others are for procreation for couples who cant do that. But again will you clone for Gay couples??

A lotta questions pop up from different angles..... So why scientists clone will remain a question with no clear answer unless we wanna just narrow it down to the merits of cloning. smiley

gabonsky:

From what I know is that therapeutic cloning is the process by which a persons DNA is used to grow an embryonic clone or stem cells.

These stem cells can be used in experiments aimed at understanding diseases and developing new treatments for diseases.

If the purpose of cloning is to be used in experimenting and formatting a techniques for treatments of diseases. My question is why do scientist clone?

The 14years old girl is suffering from cancer and she want scientists to clone her so that she will not be buried underground. That is why I am asking what are the principle of science behind this theory or experiments.

Sir, I want to learn more and I can see maybe you are a Doctor.

1 Like

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 20, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Looollll... They dont have to come from aborted babies.

They can be derived from adult cells triggered into pluripotency to resemble or look exactly like the embryonic stem cells from blastocysts of embryos smiley

So still on the idea? wink

Thats a relief.

I thing it's great. grin
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Nobody: 4:13pm On Nov 20, 2016
Science will take us further than religion ever would

cool

5 Likes

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by gabonsky: 6:02pm On Nov 20, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Okay... I get you now. Firstly, I'm not a doctor just yet... Loolll. My profile will tell you more. smiley

Cloning have two kinds majorly: Reproductive and Therapeutic cloning.

You're spot on with what therapeutic cloning is all about summarily.

But you must know that "the bolded" is not the only reason for cloning.

Reproductive cloning as regards human cloning is about cloning a full human and not just specific cells. Sometimes, this is done to help couples who cannot procreate.

Also, theoretically, it may be helpful in creating a new body for a patient ravaged by cancer that has metastasized so much through out his/her whole body.

BUT TRUTH IS.... YOUR QUESTION, "WHY DO SCIENTISTS CLONE?" IS STILL KINDA A BIG ENIGMA..... One scientist's reason will defer from the reason(s) of another scientist even though we know some of what cloning actually does and can do.

And the ethics of cloning are still up for debate because of the varying protagonists and antagonists for cloning.

Example: the religious society says, "Dont take the place of GOD..." Loolll

Some others are for procreation for couples who cant do that. But again will you clone for Gay couples??

A lotta questions pop up from different angles..... So why scientists clone will remain a question with no clear answer unless we wanna just narrow it down to the merits of cloning. smiley

My other question is Do you think African are ready for cloning?

Is cloning relevant to us in Africa despite our deep thought on religious doctrine and principles?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the mode of cloning?

We are learning from you our future nairaland doctor?
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by sisisioge: 6:13pm On Nov 20, 2016
Muafrika2:

[s]Actually, I think the brain is what they would grow the clone from. The cell divisions will eventually recreate the brain too.[/s]

Never mind wink
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by Nobody: 6:19pm On Nov 20, 2016
sisisioge:

[s]Actually, I think the brain is what they would grow the clone from. The cell divisions will eventually recreate the brain too.[/s]

Never mind wink
cheesy cheesy
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:55pm On Nov 20, 2016
Okay... I'm back again. Saw your mention but wanted to answer it when I'm a bit settled. smiley

**stretches fingers** wink

Okay... Your first question: "Do you think Africans are ready for Cloning?"

Me: hmmm..... The big question is, "Is the world ready for Cloning?" smiley

Cloning isnt even yet established in the western world of America and Europe but activities and research on the area are ongoing albeit somewhat quietly.

So Is Africa ready for Cloning? Well, without mincing words, I dont think so... At least Not yet. Africans will have a lot of issues handling the ethical challenges attached to cloning.

Your second question: "Is cloning relevant to us in Africa despite our deep thought on religious doctrine and principles?"

Me: Again like the first question, this question is kinda hidden in a bigger question. smiley

It's more like asking, "Is Science or Hi-tech biomedicine relevant to us in Africa?" smiley

I think the prospects, issues, merits and future of cloning is relevant to us in Africa because within Africa we have young scientists and rising bright minds who wanna grow and become global forces in the field of genetics and more... And somehow, Cloning as an area of interest will come up. It has great prospects and merits as seen in therapeutic cloning for instance.

So if science is relevant to us as Africans moving strong in this 21st century then I believe that Cloning should matter also.

Another angle is this... If the good sides of Cloning become established in other parts of the world, it's likely to spread its wings and Africa won't wanna be left behind. How long do Africa wanna leave everything about advancements and discovery to europe and america?? **selah**

Our traditional/religious beliefs and doctrines should not be a reason for us not to grow in knowledge especially when such knowledge do not go against some of our good beliefs like "Killing a baby is wrong".

Initially in cloning/stem cells, pluripotent stem cells are harvested from embryonic stem cells (that is the cells of embryos). **Embryos are babies in their embryonic windows within the first one-three weeks of pregnancy in ladies**

Now in Africa, our beliefs go against such, but then a new method have been found out thanks to the works of Shinya Yamanaka of Japan who won the nobel prize in medicine in 2008 or so. He discovered that we can harvest adult stem cells and have them triggered with certain genetic factors to make them return to their pluripotent states as if they were embryonic stem cells all along.

Now this makes it possible to not "kill babies" in the name of harvesting stem cells for research and More.

So on this note, our beliefs and Cloning do not clash. Just on this note. But again, the ethics of cloning which has various angles and sub-angles havent been sorted yet for good. But finding a balance between what Africa believes traditionally and religiously AND what Cloning has to offer in terms of good and not evil must be struck somehow... Only when we are ready. smiley

**Lemme halt it all here for now... I have much to say on this question but let's leave it here for now**

Your Third question: "What are the advantages and disadvantages of the mode of cloning?"

Me: Well, Cloning has a lot of good and a lot of evils... Loolll

The merits and demerits of Cloning are so much...

Lemme put it this way: The way cloning is done can make it possible for a lot of bad genes to be removed and good genes added. (In cloning, the usual is to remove the nucleus of the isolated somatic cell from a human and place into an egg cell already harvested (but stripped of its nuclear and genetic components) and then tweak chemically/electrically with all the factors needed to make the cloning process work. This "clone cell" now becomes an enbryo which is then incubated or placed in a surrogate to carry to term).

Good thing is, the clone will be healthy, free of disease and have a strong immune system among other stuffs if all goes well.

Bad thing is, the clone may be given undue advantage over others like being given the genes of. OVER-super intelligence (instead of normal intelligence which can grow with time into super), macho looks/size, and many things that will make such a clone more like a "super cloned human". All wont be acquired naturally by the clone but just invested in the clone from the start. Now that will be bad for society in a way.

I say so because, a lot of people with money will also hit the labs and make the scientists produce same for their selfish pleasure.

Cloning is good but is also bad. It has so much to benefit mankind but also so much to destroy society if abused.

Another bad thing is "bad genetic/chemical reactions" which may lead to some kinda mutations within the clone.

There's so much I can say about the advantages and disadvantages of the mode/way of cloning. But let this be a kinda foundation... smiley

gabonsky:

My other question is Do you think African are ready for cloning?

Is cloning relevant to us in Africa despite our deep thought on religious doctrine and principles?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the mode of cloning?

We are learning from you our future nairaland doctor?

13 Likes

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by gabonsky: 11:28pm On Nov 20, 2016
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
TheSuperNerd:
Okay... I'm back again. Saw your mention but wanted to answer it when I'm a bit settled. smiley

**stretches fingers** wink

Okay... Your first question: "Do you think Africans are ready for Cloning?"

Me: hmmm..... The big question is, "Is the world ready for Cloning?" smiley

Cloning isnt even yet established in the western world of America and Europe but activities and research on the area are ongoing albeit somewhat quietly.

So Is Africa ready for Cloning? Well, without mincing words, I dont think so... At least Not yet. Africans will have a lot of issues handling the ethical challenges attached to cloning.

Your second question: "Is cloning relevant to us in Africa despite our deep thought on religious doctrine and principles?"

Me: Again like the first question, this question is kinda hidden in a bigger question. smiley

It's more like asking, "Is Science or Hi-tech biomedicine relevant to us in Africa?" smiley

I think the prospects, issues, merits and future of cloning is relevant to us in Africa because within Africa we have young scientists and rising bright minds who wanna grow and become global forces in the field of genetics and more... And somehow, Cloning as an area of interest will come up. It has great prospects and merits as seen in therapeutic cloning for instance.

So if science is relevant to us as Africans moving strong in this 21st century then I believe that Cloning should matter also.

Another angle is this... If the good sides of Cloning become established in other parts of the world, it's likely to spread its wings and Africa won't wanna be left behind. How long do Africa wanna leave everything about advancements and discovery to europe and america?? **selah**

Our traditional/religious beliefs and doctrines should not be a reason for us not to grow in knowledge especially when such knowledge do not go against some of our good beliefs like "Killing a baby is wrong".

Initially in cloning/stem cells, pluripotent stem cells are harvested from embryonic stem cells (that is the cells of embryos). **Embryos are babies in their embryonic windows within the first one-three weeks of pregnancy in ladies**

Now in Africa, our beliefs go against such, but then a new method have been found out thanks to the works of Shinya Yamanaka of Japan who won the nobel prize in medicine in 2008 or so. He discovered that we can harvest adult stem cells and have them triggered with certain genetic factors to make them return to their pluripotent states as if they were embryonic stem cells all along.

Now this makes it possible to not "kill babies" in the name of harvesting stem cells for research and More.

So on this note, our beliefs and Cloning do not clash. Just on this note. But again, the ethics of cloning which has various angles and sub-angles havent been sorted yet for good. But finding a balance between what Africa believes traditionally and religiously AND what Cloning has to offer in terms of good and not evil must be struck somehow... Only when we are ready. smiley

**Lemme halt it all here for now... I have much to say on this question but let's leave it here for now**

Your Third question: "What are the advantages and disadvantages of the mode of cloning?"

Me: Well, Cloning has a lot of good and a lot of evils... Loolll

The merits and demerits of Cloning are so much...

Lemme put it this way: The way cloning is done can make it possible for a lot of bad genes to be removed and good genes added. (In cloning, the usual is to remove the nucleus of the isolated somatic cell from a human and place into an egg cell already harvested (but stripped of its nuclear and genetic components) and then tweak chemically/electrically with all the factors needed to make the cloning process work. This "clone cell" now becomes an enbryo which is then incubated or placed in a surrogate to carry to term).

Good thing is, the clone will be healthy, free of disease and have a strong immune system among other stuffs if all goes well.

Bad thing is, the clone may be given undue advantage over others like being given the genes of. OVER-super intelligence (instead of normal intelligence which can grow with time into super), macho looks/size, and many things that will make such a clone more like a "super cloned human". All wont be acquired naturally by the clone but just invested in the clone from the start. Now that will be bad for society in a way.

I say so because, a lot of people with money will also hit the labs and make the scientists produce same for their selfish pleasure.

Cloning is good but is also bad. It has so much to benefit mankind but also so much to destroy society if abused.

Another bad thing is "bad genetic/chemical reactions" which may lead to some kinda mutations within the clone.

There's so much I can say about the advantages and disadvantages of the mode/way of cloning. But let this be a kinda foundation... smiley

Thanks for the update and please MOD front page materials so that people can learn. [email][/email]

1 Like

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:26pm On Nov 21, 2016
You're welcome Sir... So why the keen interest in Cloning if I may ask? smiley

And I hope my answers so far satisfies some of your curiosity on the subject if not all. Do you have more questions? smiley

gabonsky:
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

Thanks for the update and please MOD front page materials so that people can learn. [email][/email]
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by gabonsky: 8:20pm On Nov 21, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

And I hope my answers so far satisfies some of your curiosity on the subject if not all. Do you have more questions? smiley

Yes I have a lot of question on cloning, I am just imagining how its can be beneficial to us in Africa?

Honestly we lack the technology driven skills and scientific knowledge to carry out the activities of cloning?
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by gabonsky: 9:06pm On Nov 21, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

My question is as follows:-
1. which one of these types of cloning for human being is the best snd explain why
a. Natural, Organism, Artificial or human cloning

2. For what purposes would anyone want to perform human cloning?

3. Is there any connection between the two uses of human cloning?

4. For what purposes is cloning used?

I love learning outside my box
Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:37pm On Nov 22, 2016
Lemme see...... smiley

No.1 - Well, it depends on what you wanna achieve but I believe Human or artificial is the best. Natural cloning is mostly applied to and seen in plant life.

Organism cloning is basically asexual and means the "clone" gets to ge genetically identical to only one parent as there wont be inter-gamete contact (otherwise called male and female gametes fusion)

So Artificial/Human cloning takes it as it involves the nucleus of a donor somatic cell being fused with an egg cell stripped of its entire genetic material. The fusion takes place after triggering electrically and an embryo is formed which can grow into a full human by placing in the womb of a surrogate mother or incubated artificially. The kind of cloning makes it super possible to insert certain "genes" you will like to see the human express.... Although complications abide.

No.2 - To be honest, it depends on "who" that "anyone" is. smiley

When Ian Wilmut cloned Dolly in 1996/97, he did it to show one can produce a full living organism from a somatic adult cell.

For somewhat like me, I am involved in stem cells research/studies at my Hopkins scholarships online and oncampus program. It's part of the gigantic curriculum I face in my classified scholarships program.

It's all incorporated into my neurosciences research scholarship studies (more of Neurosciences and other interdisciplinary science research studies). **I'm also a medic student in Nigeria** wink

If I wanna clone a human, then it would be for therapeutic and "Life saving" reasons. It's all about the "motive" of the scientist involved. smiley

No.3 - By two uses you mean, Therapeutic and Reproductive right? Well, I would say there is in certain ways because while one is channelled to produce certain organs and tissues (cloned organs and tissues) for instance, the other is for the creation of a full human (a clone). Both involve similar cloning patterns BUT different triggering factors at the molecular and cellular levels. So yep.. There's a connection.

No.4 - I believe I have answered this in previous posts. Even you have mentioned a few of them. smiley

Keep learning Sir... It's cool. Learning is always a bitter root, but it bears sweet fruit. smiley

Keep learning outside "your box" but hey! Ensure you master your field well enough to be relevant and indispensable when you get to the top. Ciao... smiley

gabonsky:

My question is as follows:-
1. which one of these types of cloning for human being is the best snd explain why
a. Natural, Organism, Artificial or human cloning

2. For what purposes would anyone want to perform human cloning?

3. Is there any connection between the two uses of human cloning?

4. For what purposes is cloning used?

I love learning outside my box

6 Likes

Re: A 14-Year-Old Girl With Cancer Wins The Right To Have Her Body Frozen by gabonsky: 9:12pm On Nov 22, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Lemme see...... smiley

No.1 - Well, it depends on what you wanna achieve but I believe Human or artificial is the best. Natural cloning is mostly applied to and seen in plant life.

Organism cloning is basically asexual and means the "clone" gets to ge genetically identical to only one parent as there wont be inter-gamete contact (otherwise called male and female gametes fusion)

So Artificial/Human cloning takes it as it involves the nucleus of a donor somatic cell being fused with an egg cell stripped of its entire genetic material. The fusion takes place after triggering electrically and an embryo is formed which can grow into a full human by placing in the womb of a surrogate mother or incubated artificially. The kind of cloning makes it super possible to insert certain "genes" you will like to see the human express.... Although complications abide.

No.2 - To be honest, it depends on "who" that "anyone" is. smiley

When Ian Wilmut cloned Dolly in 1996/97, he did it to show one can produce a full living organism from a somatic adult cell.

For somewhat like me, I am involved in stem cells research/studies at my Hopkins scholarships online and oncampus program. It's part of the gigantic curriculum I face in my classified scholarships program.

It's all incorporated into my neurosciences research scholarship studies (more of Neurosciences and other interdisciplinary science research studies). **I'm also a medic student in Nigeria** wink

If I wanna clone a human, then it would be for therapeutic and "Life saving" reasons. It's all about the "motive" of the scientist involved. smiley

No.3 - By two uses you mean, Therapeutic and Reproductive right? Well, I would say there is in certain ways because while one is channelled to produce certain organs and tissues (cloned organs and tissues) for instance, the other is for the creation of a full human (a clone). Both involve similar cloning patterns BUT different triggering factors at the molecular and cellular levels. So yep.. There's a connection.

No.4 - I believe I have answered this in previous posts. Even you have mentioned a few of them. smiley

Keep learning Sir... It's cool. Learning is always a bitter root, but it bears sweet fruit. smiley

Keep learning outside "your box" but hey! Ensure you master your field well enough to be relevant and indispensable when you get to the top. Ciao... smiley

Thanks for answering my question, i wish you all the best in your studies

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Before And After Look Of A Lady That Survived Gas Explosion 3 Years Ago (Pix) / Growing Trend Of Young Men With White Beard / Precious Iwezoa: 13-Year-Old Girl Commits Suicide In Edo (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.