Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,764 members, 7,806,090 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:16 AM

Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft (12818 Views)

BEST ARCHITECTS For Commercial Designs And Construction / Sanitary Wares in Lagos: For Architects, Interior Designers and other Projects / Why Nigerian Architects Should Start Appreciating Organic Houses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Adaowerri111: 10:01am On Nov 25, 2016
Truefederalism:

70x80 and that was all the draughtsman could muster? Mehn! I tire for una wey like to pay for ignorance and mediocrity o.
You may be forgiven sha if you do not know any good architect, but if you engaged this guy because of cost, you'all better enjoy the proceeds.

Architects sha, we haff suffer!

The cost of this is huge compared to what others are paying, needed the best because it's a lifetime project

He
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Adaowerri111: 10:05am On Nov 25, 2016
222Martins:
I saw your thread where you were asking about the estimate for fencing. If you are interested, i can hook you up with my engineer. He will present you a draft and if possible, an estimate for your project; so that you can compare. He's the one handling my projects in Owerri.

Thanks a lot, though I'm done with the fencing but I will appreciate his contact if he can provide me with a better design/draft, don't want to regret preliminary mistakes
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by 222Martins(m): 10:08am On Nov 25, 2016
Adaowerri111:

Thanks a lot, though I'm done with the fencing but I will appreciate his contact if he can provide me with a better design/draft, don't want to regret preliminary mistakes
Pm me, and i will give you his contact details.
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Aarenasbaba(m): 10:27am On Nov 25, 2016
This plan is not good enough....tell d architect to move d wall of d left backward to align wt d right 1.....d sitting room also is a close area and doesn't lead to any wear from d front side.also I don't think there is a visitors toilet. D plan look like wasting of space as well....adequate corrects has been made by d architects is d house
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by bonetalk(m): 10:44am On Nov 25, 2016
the position of the entrance door is wrong,
the wardrobe in that room should be repositioned to allow the door flushes with wall,,, the kitchen is too small for the building and it needs cross ventilation. there are many wasted spaces in d room, non functioning space
the internal arrangement is poor
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Hollar007(m): 12:20pm On Nov 25, 2016
Adaowerri111:
I got this draft from my architect asking me to make corrections where needed, as a layman or with me not being too good with structures I'm bringing it here for the professionals to examine, if there's any defect solutions are welcome, thanks

The design is whack.... I can't believe it's designed by an architect... The looby will be dark, the kitchen and dining is unrealistic, the store is far from the kitchen.... The building shape is irregular wc leads to wasting of space and construction ease.....
Pm me on 07061532953 I'll giv u a nice draft wit d dimensions free of charge.... If u lyk u can even post it for consideration

2 Likes

Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by mtchris(m): 12:44pm On Nov 25, 2016
Many thing is wrong with this design. All i see is wasted spaces everywhere. What's with lobby everywhere? Oh men, the architect is actually a novice. I just hope he's not a graduate.
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by bezimo(m): 1:23pm On Nov 25, 2016
I noticed 2 of the bedrooms don't have a wardrobe/closet in them.I would suggest a redesign to accommodate that.

All the best on your prohect
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by fernandezcocky: 2:18pm On Nov 25, 2016
1. To start with, could you state the total area of your proposed site e.g 15m x 30m or 50ft x 100ft. This will assist in assuming the spatial area of each partitioned space or d grid used by your Architect for this conceptual design.
2. What was the design brief you stated to your Architect?
3. What is your estimated budget for the project?
If you can adequately answer the questions above,it will provide me with more insight for constructive criticism of the presented preliminary design you posted. However, for now note the followings:
1. The spaces are not well articulated in terms of spatial programming/planning
2. Not all the spaces are cross ventilated and considering the fact that we are in the tropics, thats disastrous.
3. There are some dead spaces tagged as lobby and one or two of them will not have the benefit of natural lighting even during daytime.
4. I believe you are a woman,which means your kitchen & store are one of your treasured spaces other than the other room, the proportion of the kitchen to other spaces is not satisfactory to me.
5. Where is this project going to be sited? Tell your Architect to check out the town planning laws/building regulations code of the state as it regards setback and percentage of built area vs total site area.

For more consultation/advice, do the needful by responding adequately. Thank you.
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by fernandezcocky: 2:23pm On Nov 25, 2016
mtchris:
Many thing is wrong with this design. All i see is wasted spaces everywhere. What's with lobby everywhere? Oh men, the architect is actually a novice. I just hope he's not a graduate.

I dont think the designer is qualified yet. Probably just a draughtman but I know quite a load of draughtmen who are even more articulate than this person in question
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by fernandezcocky: 2:31pm On Nov 25, 2016
power900:
Alaye stop wasting time before another issues comes up and reduce your budget, there is nothing wrong with what i am seeing.

one thing people dont know about building that so far there are the main amenities a house plan should contain, every other thing like kitchen size or toilet size will be adapted to with time.

na recession we dey and with this kind of plan, it is very obvious that you are not the rich nor poor type, so no go form wetin you no be .

I'm quite certain the client engaged the service of a professional because of his/her belief in quality & standard and this does not in any way significantly affect the project cost. Dont forget that this is probably his/her first construction project,is it a crime to get it right the first time? or are you just here to promote quackery and unprofessionalism? I'm stunned by your contribution!
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by artizanni: 2:32pm On Nov 25, 2016
Hello OP,

Please accept our gratitude for requesting a review of your plan from us.

Kindly note that all designs must seek to Balance Safety with Aesthetics/ Efficiency and Cost.

In the light of the above, the design you presented is both inefficient, unsafe and relatively costlier in comparison to more efficient floor plans/layouts.

It will do you well to ask for a complete redesign of this plan, by a Professional Architect.

We hope this short review helps you in your quest to build the masterpiece you have in mind.

Kind Regards.

Artizanni ltd.
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by fernandezcocky: 2:41pm On Nov 25, 2016
Truefederalism:
That thing is not an architectural drawing. That design could not have been done by an architect.

Get an architect, and you will not be asking these questions here. An architect does not give room for excuses.

Look for an architect, give him your brief, give him your survey plan, pay him well, and he will give you the best. This is what we are trained to do.

...and by the way, if you insult a registered architect this way, you will end up in court.

Ride on with your draughtsman, but please don't call him an architect again!

You people should stop insulting architects.

I am impressed by your comment. Thumbs up!
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by General2COAS(m): 3:14pm On Nov 25, 2016
Truefederalism:
That thing is not an architectural drawing. That design could not have been done by an architect.

Get an architect, and you will not be asking these questions here. An architect does not give room for excuses.

Look for an architect, give him your brief, give him your survey plan, pay him well, and he will give you the best. This is what we are trained to do.

...and by the way, if you insult a registered architect this way, you will end up in court.

Ride on with your draughtsman, but please don't call him an architect again!

You people should stop insulting architects.

NICE POINTS MADE THERE.
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by MRBODMAS(m): 3:15pm On Nov 25, 2016
1. Living room does not have a focus point where TV and home theater Machines can be planted: let it face exit door.

2. Why Maters bedroom is located at the extreme end? inter change it with the bedroom located beside the living room.

3. Why chicken exit door is at the backyard? what if you wanted to pack in some Food stuff from your Car, how will you drive to where kitchen is located? Is has to be located beside House not at the back for easy access.

4. The kitchen size need to be enlarged to accommodate some of your kitchen materials.

5. The Horizontal position of the plan is too wide which makes it to look like a shop. Relocate the last 2 bedroom to the back of Living room.

Take any one u feel comfortable with and leave the rest.
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Adaowerri111: 3:33pm On Nov 25, 2016
fernandezcocky:

I am impressed by your comment. Thumbs up!

The guy that designed or drafted this is an architect and have been in this profession for more than 23years, that was what he said though
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by fernandezcocky: 3:56pm On Nov 25, 2016
Adaowerri111:

The guy that designed or drafted this is an architect and have been in this profession for more than 23years, that was what he said though

Wow...I have my reservation about that, but the ball is in your court "you call the shot". Even if this design is done for free,it is highly flawed.

Best of luck!
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by fernandezcocky: 4:01pm On Nov 25, 2016
power900:
go and speak your grammar somewhere else bro, deep down you know i am saying the ugly truth, there is no such thing as a perfect plan, i believe he told the arch all what he needs before he gave him this, no further wasting of time, get to work asap, house project no be beans and becoming a landlord na great achievement, i myself am on a house project now and after spending millions i never still reach anywhere na him one person come dey tell me about toilet space..... grin grin grin

cheers man

Is it the grammar that gives you headache sir or my personal professional opinion of getting it right from onset?
Anyway, wish you the very best!
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Adaowerri111: 4:14pm On Nov 25, 2016
fernandezcocky:

Wow...I have my reservation about that, but the ball is in your court "you call the shot". Even if this design is done for free,it is highly flawed.

Best of luck!

Meant to write 13 years, the design wasn't done for free, paying heavily for it as I need to get this done before april next year
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by fernandezcocky: 4:22pm On Nov 25, 2016
Adaowerri111:

Meant to write 13 years, the design wasn't done for free, paying heavily for it as I need to get this done before april next year

Send me an email so that we can talk better...Dont want to break a nairaland rule
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by 222Martins(m): 4:24pm On Nov 25, 2016
Adaowerri111:

My honest opinion, get three preliminary draft sketches and estimate from three engineers first, then compare and go with your guts. This should come at no cost.
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Webbet(m): 2:38am On Nov 26, 2016
My observation: the plan does not correlate, poor security consciousness, waste of land and...
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Onboard1: 3:52am On Nov 27, 2016
222Martins:
Though, i am neither an engineer or architect; but given the climate and the epileptic power supply in Nigeria, two factors i don't joke with in my buildings are: Ventilation and Natural Lighting. These two are lacking in the plan you uploaded.

I saw your thread where you were asking about the estimate for fencing. If you are interested, i can hook you up with my engineer. He will present you a draft and if possible, an estimate for your project; so that you can compare. He's the one handling my projects in Owerri.

Oga abeg, how does cost of materials look like in Owerri? Planning to start a commercial residence soon in Umuguma.
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by 222Martins(m): 7:15am On Nov 27, 2016
Onboard1:

Oga abeg, how does cost of materials look like in Owerri? Planning to start a commercial residence soon in Umuguma.
The cost of materials is on the high side now. Thanks to the high exchange rate.....

1 Like

Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by Onboard1: 1:57am On Nov 28, 2016
222Martins:
The cost of materials is on the high side now. Thanks to the high exchange rate.....

Lol...It's well
Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by nifemiayoade(m): 9:34pm On Dec 17, 2016
Stop given your plan,builing or structure to quack contractor because of d price and at d end u we end up lossing because they we not giv u want u want or pay 4, investigate on a company dat u want giv your builing 2 , where by a construction company can giv u what u want and build what u want without lossing with avoidable price, ARAN ARCHITECTURE AND CONSTRUCTION COMPANY, we build a house to the toast of what u want and in model style,we also help you 2 collect the approval and seal of ownership of your building. we are the best in construction , try us 2 day and u we see d diffent add on whatsapp or call 08069253261

1 Share

Re: Architects: What Is Wrong With This Preliminary Draft by mccoy47(m): 3:17pm On Jan 10, 2017
RaggedyAnn:
1. Like someone already mentioned, the entrance door should be moved to the extreme right to make the living space more usable
2. The door to the mini flat is obstructing the living room space, it could be moved to the entrance porch
3. The kitchen and dining are too small.
4. The store is not easily accessible from the kitchen and it should be. If the kitchen is sized sufficiently, I would prefer accessibility through the lobby as well, so that whoever is going into the kitchen from the bedrooms doesn't have to go through the living room. If there are guests, it's not very desirable.

5. It is always preferable to have your kitchen open into a covered back porch instead of immediate steps. There, you can place your gas cylinder, your trash bin, keep your pan of over-bleached palm oil etc.
6. There's a lot of lobby space that is only directing traffic and not dispersing it. This is only useful for galleries where you plan to display art work. You can fit the toilet in the mini flat where the back entrance is, after extending it a bit, and use the other space for a kitchenette.
7. The toilet to the second bedroom only has space for a wc. You should at least be able to fit a shower tray.

Apart from that, I commend you on your project and wish you all the best.

Twale madam! You know book joor!

As a novice in architecture with just basic knowledge of building plans I was able to pin point the bolded.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Service Plots For Sale In Isheri North GRA LAGOS. / Queen's Garden, Isheri North Mainland Opportunity with Governors consent / Berry Court Omole Phase 2 C Of O Dry Land Mainland Opportunity Check It Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.