Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,406 members, 7,800,836 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:44 AM

Why Pray, When You Can Plan - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Pray, When You Can Plan (4639 Views)

Catholics Celebrate "All Saints" Today(1/11/17), So Why Pray Through Mary? Why?? / Why Pray? / Why Pray For Israel? Breaking Israel News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Pray, When You Can Plan by akintom(m): 8:14am On Nov 20, 2016
Prayer

Prayer (from the Latin precari "to ask earnestly, beg, entreat"wink is an invocation or act that seeks to activate a rapport with an object of worship through deliberate communication.

Prayer can be a form of religious practice , may be either individual or communal and take place in public or in private. It may involve the use of words, song or complete silence. When language is used, prayer may take the form of a hymn , incantation, formal creedal statement, or a spontaneous utterance in the praying person.

There are different forms of prayer such as petitionary prayer, prayers of supplication, thanksgiving, and praise. Prayer may be directed towards a deity , spirit, deceased person, or lofty idea, for the purpose of worshipping, requesting guidance , requesting assistance, confessing transgressions ( sins) or to express one's thoughts and emotions.

Thus, people pray for many reasons such as personal benefit, asking for divine grace , spiritual connection, or for the sake of others.
.................................................................................................................

Back in the days, in school, it was common to pray for examination success in this format:

* We prayed for spirit of understanding,
* retentive memory,
* anoint pen and fingers,
* command the lecturer to come under the influence of the Holy Spirit,
* bind the spirit of forgetfulness,
* bind the spirit behind lost answer booklet,
* bind the spirit of error etc

Now, i look back on those days of religious idiocy, and can't but chuckle, and ask myself - what was that crap!

Prayer is such an arrant gibberish, that portrays those who practice it, as someone beside themselves.

Prayer is variant of soliloquizing, with a significant characteristics of schizophrenia, dementia and delusion.

If not,

* how can someone be asking for retentive memory, when the memory is known to function that way normally?

* How can someone be praying to God of fertility, when the land will naturally be fertile?

* How can someone be praying for a job, when the process of employment is known?

* How can someone be praying for success, when the principles that govern success is known?

* How can someone be praying for good governance, when that responsibility rest on the leaders and followers?

It's a pitiable site to behold, when folks, alone or congregate to waste their time and energy, by indulging in:
*shouting,
*crying,
* moaning,
*hysteria,
*shaking of head, hand etc

All for nothing. Other than for the purpose of religious self fooling.

3 Likes

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by Nobody: 8:23am On Nov 20, 2016
Prayer is an act of faith.

Mathew 26:41...

WATCH AND PRAY SO THAT YOU DO NOT FALL INTO DIVERSE TEMPTATIONS

James 2:14-26 King James Version (KJV)
What doth it profit, my brethren,
though a man say he hath faith, and have
not works? can faith save him?
If a brother or sister be naked, and
destitute of daily food,
And one of you say unto them, Depart
in peace, be ye warmed and filled;
notwithstanding ye give them not those
things which are needful to the body; what
doth it profit?
Even so faith, if it hath not works, is
dead, being alone.
Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith,
and I have works: shew me thy faith
without thy works, and I will shew thee my
faith by my works.
Thou believest that there is one God;
thou doest well: the devils also believe,
and tremble.
But wilt thou know, O vain man, that
faith without works is dead?
Was not Abraham our father justified
by works, when he had offered Isaac his
son upon the altar?
Seest thou how faith wrought with his
works, and by works was faith made
perfect?
And the scripture was fulfilled which
saith, Abraham believed God, and it was
imputed unto him for righteousness: and
he was called the Friend of God.
Ye see then how that by works a man is
justified, and not by faith only.
Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot
justified by works, when she had received
the messengers, and had sent them out
another way?
For as the body without the spirit is
dead, so faith without works is dead also.

We as believers are taught faith with works. I suppose you have the ability to see into your future so can plan to avoid bad situations right? If this were possible then even the rich would not be feeling the heat from the world recession and people would not be sacked without reason and babies would not be born without deformities and nobody would die through accidents ....

afterall planning is all they needed right?

Thread is DOA.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by firstking01(m): 8:25am On Nov 20, 2016
akintom:
Prayer

Prayer (from the Latin precari "to ask earnestly, beg, entreat"wink is an invocation or act that seeks to activate a rapport with an object of worship through deliberate communication.

Prayer can be a form of religious practice , may be either individual or communal and take place in public or in private. It may involve the use of words, song or complete silence. When language is used, prayer may take the form of a hymn , incantation, formal creedal statement, or a spontaneous utterance in the praying person.

There are different forms of prayer such as petitionary prayer, prayers of supplication, thanksgiving, and praise. Prayer may be directed towards a deity , spirit, deceased person, or lofty idea, for the purpose of worshipping, requesting guidance , requesting assistance, confessing transgressions ( sins) or to express one's thoughts and emotions.

Thus, people pray for many reasons such as personal benefit, asking for divine grace , spiritual connection, or for the sake of others.
.................................................................................................................

Back in the days, in school, it was common to pray for examination success in this format:

* We prayed for spirit of understanding,
* retentive memory,
* anoint pen and fingers,
* command the lecturer to come under the influence of the Holy Spirit,
* bind the spirit of forgetfulness,
* bind the spirit behind lost answer booklet,
* bind the spirit of error etc

Now, i look back on those days of religious idiocy, and can't but chuckle, and ask myself - what was that crap!

Prayer is such an arrant gibberish, that portrays those who practice it, as someone beside themselves.

Prayer is variant of soliloquizing, with a significant characteristics of schizophrenia, dementia and delusion.

If not,

* how can someone be asking for retentive memory, when the memory is known to function that way normally?

* How can someone be praying to God of fertility, when the land will naturally be fertile?

* How can someone be praying for a job, when the process of employment is known?

* How can someone be praying for success, when the principles that govern success is known?

* How can someone be praying for good governance, when that responsibility rest on the leaders and followers?

It's a pitiable site to behold, when folks, alone or congregate to waste their time and energy, by indulging in:
*shouting,
*crying,
* moaning,
*hysteria,
*shaking of head, hand etc

All for nothing. Other than for the purpose of religious self fooling.

You pray because uncertainties are certain in life, and also because your plans are prone to failing you so you ought to pray for God to clear every obstacle that will hinder your plans from actualizingundecided…or you need bible proves??

1 Like

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by Nobody: 8:33am On Nov 20, 2016
Every organisation plans yet also has funds set apart for emergencies like in banks who still set aside a budget to cover fraud so it is with us as religious people.

We plan and prepare for eventualities but still pray . None negates the other.

Prayer does not stop planning and planning does not stop prayer. my first post shows this.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by hopefulLandlord: 8:37am On Nov 20, 2016
Amazing Thread!

prayer just gives some kind of psychological "confidence" in face of uncertainty which might be effective on the surface BUT that "confidence" is usually all you needed in the first place

Prayer is like betting to a chronic gambler, you'll never hear them talk about their losses

you'll hear them give testimonies about how prayers helped them overcome a problem but dig a bit deeper and you'll most likely see that a lot of other factors were responsible for that

people who claim prayer works don't know or feign negligence about the laws of probability

7 Likes

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by akintom(m): 8:40am On Nov 20, 2016
firstking01:
You pray because uncertainties are certain in life, and also because your plans are prone to failing you so you ought to pray for God to clear every obstacle that will hinder your plans from actualizingundecided…or you need bible proves??

And with all your praying without seasons, DON'T YOU FOLKS STILL EXPERIENCE FAILURES?
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by luqxxee(m): 8:41am On Nov 20, 2016
There are two kinds of people in this life. People who see things as they are and those who see things as they might be. only people who see things as they are do not pray they are mostly logical.
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by akintom(m): 8:42am On Nov 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:
Prayer is an act of faith.

Mathew 26:41...

WATCH AND PRAY SO THAT YOU DO NOT FALL INTO DIVERSE TEMPTATIONS

James 2:14-26 King James Version (KJV)
What doth it profit, my brethren,
though a man say he hath faith, and have
not works? can faith save him?
If a brother or sister be naked, and
destitute of daily food,
And one of you say unto them, Depart
in peace, be ye warmed and filled;
notwithstanding ye give them not those
things which are needful to the body; what
doth it profit?
Even so faith, if it hath not works, is
dead, being alone.
Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith,
and I have works: shew me thy faith
without thy works, and I will shew thee my
faith by my works.
Thou believest that there is one God;
thou doest well: the devils also believe,
and tremble.
But wilt thou know, O vain man, that
faith without works is dead?
Was not Abraham our father justified
by works, when he had offered Isaac his
son upon the altar?
Seest thou how faith wrought with his
works, and by works was faith made
perfect?
And the scripture was fulfilled which
saith, Abraham believed God, and it was
imputed unto him for righteousness: and
he was called the Friend of God.
Ye see then how that by works a man is
justified, and not by faith only.
Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot
justified by works, when she had received
the messengers, and had sent them out
another way?
For as the body without the spirit is
dead, so faith without works is dead also.

We as believers are taught faith with works. I suppose you have the ability to see into your future so can plan to avoid bad situations right? If this were possible then even the rich would not be feeling the heat from the world recession and people would not be sacked without reason and babies would not be born without deformities and nobody would die through accidents ....

afterall planning is all they needed right?

Thread is DOA.

This is a manifestation of how nonsensical religious beliefs are.

Life thrives on challenges. Challenges are precursors of inventions and creativity.

That's what religion kills in people.

It's arrant delusion of religious mind, to hope and crave a life devoid of challenges.

1 Like

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by hopefulLandlord: 8:42am On Nov 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

For others its a ticket to a life of debauchery and freedom to live as they please without restrictions except when hit by laws.

when will this pure nonsense statement created by pathetic religious people and spread by ignorant ones who come after them stop?

This thread examines and shows how nonsensical and asinine such statements are
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by hahn(m): 8:42am On Nov 20, 2016
Prayer is useless undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by firstking01(m): 8:44am On Nov 20, 2016
akintom:

And with all your praying without seasons, DON'T YOU FOLKS STILL EXPERIENCE FAILURES?
Smh, what we experience is challenges and not "failures"undecided…a true child of God is parallel to failuresundecided…it's a taboo for a child of God to fail cool
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by lepasharon(f): 8:45am On Nov 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Don't waste your time with offering bible proof to that bitter soul. All he seeks is who to desparage and ridicule. Check all his threads and see the tangible bitterness in his soul.

FYI he is an Atheist.
. cool

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by Nobody: 8:45am On Nov 20, 2016
hopefulLandlord:
Amazing Thread!

prayer just gives some kind of psychological "confidence" in face of uncertainty which might be effective on the surface BUT that "confidence" is usually all you needed in the first place

Prayer is like betting to a chronic gambler, you'll never hear them talk about their losses

you'll hear them give testimonies about how prayers helped them overcome a problem but dig a bit deeper and you'll most likely see that a lot of other factors were responsible for that

people who claim prayer works don't know the laws of probability

Question; If I prayed for someone and declared to that person that in 2weeks a man God has prepared for her would propose and it comes to pass exactly so. Note just date but also the person being a Pastor is that a law of probability?

if I tell someone to carry out a prayer exercise specifically targetting a problem of failure he has been having and declare to him that right after this exercise all doors would open to him and such a person does this and gets invited for a Job interview 2 days after this program him being the only man in the midst of over 30 females who also were invited and were traditionally meant for such jobs...he is the one chosen for the job and with an awesome pay is that also a law of probability?

Do I ask more?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by akintom(m): 8:48am On Nov 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

This one does and he is clearly my focus. For others its a ticket to a life of debauchery and freedom to live as they please without restrictions except when hit by laws.

Every organisation plans yet also has funds set apart for emergencies like in banks who still set aside a budget to cover fraud so it is with us as religious people.

We plan and prepare for eventualities but still pray . None negates the other.

Prayer does not stop planning and planning does not stop prayer. my first post shows this.

Your prayer can't replace planning
Your prayer can't prevent challenges that comes with planning

Of what use is your prayer then?
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by Nobody: 8:49am On Nov 20, 2016
akintom:

This is a manifestation of how nonsensical religious beliefs are.

Life thrives on challenges. Challenges are precursors of inventions and creativity.

That's what religion kills in people.

It's arrant delusion of religious mind, to hope and crave a life devoid of challenges.
Where has Prayer hindered development or discoveries? ****

Missionaries came here to africa to remove the shackles of the dark ages from us so we can become creative and some of the best inventors and doctors and workers out there are africans and religious yet they pray and plan.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by Nobody: 8:50am On Nov 20, 2016
akintom:

Your prayer can't replace planning
Your prayer can't prevent challenges that comes with planning

Of what use is your prayer then?

I see your own thread is lost on you. When did I sa prayer excludes planning? Are u not the one saying planning is everything and prayer is useless?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by akintom(m): 8:51am On Nov 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Question; If I prayed for someone and declared to that person that in 2weeks a man God has prepared for her would propose and it comes to pass exactly so. Note just date but also the person being a Pastor is that a law of probability?

if I tell someone to carry out a prayer exercise specifically targetting a problem of failure he has been having and declare to him that right after this exercise all doors would open to him and such a person does this and gets invited for a Job interview 2 days after this program him being the only man in the midst of over 30 females who also were invited and were traditionally meant for such jobs...he is the one chosen for the job and with an awesome pay is that also a law of probability?

Do I ask more?

Can we repeat these outcomes, with other sets of needy folks?
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by hopefulLandlord: 8:52am On Nov 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Do I ask more?

lol

we know and hear such everyday

I am in fact very sure some of the finer details you provided up there were never part of the prophesy in the first place and it's your mind's hindsight which is 20/20 playing tricks on you; let me reiterate that I AM VERY SURE THOSE FINE DETAILS WERE NOT PART OF IT

but I hear you

now you tell me, how many such prophesies have you or someone you trust made and didn't come to pass?

or are you gonna tell us a blatant lie that all such prophesies of yours have come to pass?

the laws of probably still holds when it comes to prayers

As far as I am concerned the evidence for the ineffectiveness of prayer is the fact that god believers obviously enjoy no extra benefits in life that are denied non-believers.

It is clear that, on average, people who do not believe in a god - Become ill at the same rates as those that do;
Recover from illness, surgery and and hospitalisation at the same rates as those that do;
Live as long as those that do

It even very interesting to note that Japan has by far the World's highest rates of life expectancy, Shinto and Buddhism which have NO connection with any god is the dominant practice of the Japanese people (96% are either Shintoists, Buddhists or none)

Whether you apply those criteria to the manifold versions of the Abrahmic god, the Hindu gods or any other deities the results are the same, - prayer brings no perceptible or measurable difference or benefits to the lives of people who believe in and pray to gods. Hence prayer must be totally ineffective and useless and, at best,
praying simply makes the person saying the prayer pretend they are helping so as to feel better about themselves.

its a psychological boost, a placebo effect at best

1 Like

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by luqxxee(m): 8:53am On Nov 20, 2016
The idea of a supernatural being controlling the lives of over a billion people on earth sounds illogical to me. But then i still cannot believe that we living on earth is by chance.
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by akintom(m): 8:54am On Nov 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

I see your own thread is lost on you. When did I sa prayer excludes planning? Are u not the one saying planning is everything and prayer is useless?

"We plan and prepare for eventualities but still pray . None negates the other"

Since prayer is just ".... But Still pray...".

You're the one becoming a scary strawman

Since prayer affects neither planning or challenges, then prayer is EXTREMELY useless and idiotic exercise by those who engage in it.

1 Like

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by akintom(m): 8:59am On Nov 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Shut your bitter lying mouth you 6am lie pundit.

Where has Prayer hindered development of discoveries? How do you even reason?

Has bitterness so eroded your ability to think?

Missionaries came here to africa to remove the shackles of the dark ages from us so we can become creative and some of the best inventors and doctors and workers out there are africans and religious yet they pray and plan.

what kind of reasoning does this guy have bikonu

Now you're going into the state of manifestation of rabies infection.

The vet Dr is till around.
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by hopefulLandlord: 8:59am On Nov 20, 2016
akintom:

lol
abeg o! you wan expose am?
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by Nobody: 9:00am On Nov 20, 2016
akintom:

2 thinks work together. Faith and Genuine desire. God does not work outside this. The bible says

Those that come to God MUST believe that HE is and that he is the rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

My personal track record in this has been superb and does not fit into any statistical law of probability otherwise I should be the luckiest man alive.

I remember the lady who Got prayed for after her husband had been without a job for over a year when he got sacked from his well paying banking job. (She is a nairalander by the way)

We prayed for 1 week and suddenly within that 1 week her fathers property which he has been trying to sell for about 12yrs with nobody showing interest got sold and the buyer said it was either that property or nothing. He sold it for 18million and gave the daughter 4m first and 2m second so she can give her husband to start a business.

within 1 month after this prayer he is now a CEO of an agro related factory producing PKO (palm kernel oil) and earning 300k per day. He still prays but also plans.

Is that also a probability?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by Nobody: 9:01am On Nov 20, 2016
akintom:

"We plan and prepare for eventualities but still pray . None negates the other"

Since prayer is just ".... But Still pray...".

You're the one becoming a scary strawman

Since prayer affects neither planning or challenges, then prayer is EXTREMELY useless and idiotic exercise by those who engage in it.

indeed your own thread is lost on you.

3 Likes

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by akintom(m): 9:05am On Nov 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

2 thinks work together. Faith and Genuine desire. God does not work outside this. The bible says

Those that come to God MUST believe that HE is and that he is the rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

My personal track record in this has been superb and does not fit into any statistical law of probability otherwise I should be the luckiest man alive.

I remember the lady who Got prayed for after her husband had been without a job for over a year when he got sacked from his well paying banking job. (She is a nairalander by the way)

We prayed for 1 week and suddenly within that 1 week her fathers property which he has been trying to sell for about 12yrs with nobody showing interest got sold and the buyer said it was either that property or nothing. He sold it for 18million and gave the daughter 4m first and 2m second so she can give her husband to start a business.

within 1 month after this prayer he is now a CEO of an agro related factory producing PKO (palm kernel oil) and earning 300k per day. He still prays but also plans.

Is that also a probability?

Faith is constant
Genuine desire is constant
God is constant
You the "miracle worker" is constant

Now,

Can the answer to prayer be constant?

Again, i ask you,

Can you reproduce these "answers", with another sets of needy folks?

1 Like

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 20, 2016
akintom:

Faith is constant
Genuine desire is constant
God is constant
You the "miracle worker" is constant

Now,

Can the answer to prayer be constant?

Again, i ask you,

Can you reproduce these "answers", with another sets of needy folks?

Why do you deliberately lack understanding. I already gave you the perfect conditions for redults and you still ask this?

The needy folks in question do they fit this bill with proof that they do. if they do not then Its futile.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by luqxxee(m): 9:14am On Nov 20, 2016
hahn:
Prayer is useless undecided
prayer isn't that useless it is a form of exercise and it also increases one's self disciplin. Check islam, budhist,hindus etc.
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by hopefulLandlord: 9:16am On Nov 20, 2016
luqxxee:
prayer isn't that useless it is a form of exercise and it also increases one's self disciplin. Check islam, budhist,hindus etc.

lol

when you pray, what do you pray for?

let me guess, you pray for "discipline"?

no kill me with laff abeg grin
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by mrmrmister: 9:17am On Nov 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Don't waste your time with offering bible proof to that bitter soul. All he seeks is who to desparage and ridicule. Check all his threads and see the tangible bitterness in his soul.

FYI he is an Atheist.

And who the hell are you to see the bitterness in someone's soul?
What exactly do you feel like?
Some holy spotless being?
Shame on you!

2 Likes

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by hopefulLandlord: 9:21am On Nov 20, 2016
mrmrmister:

And who the hell are you to see the bitterness in someone's soul?
What the exactly do you feel like?
Some holy spotless being?
Shame on you!

if the Christians say one is bitter, that person don't even have the right to not be bitter because they say he's bitter.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Occultic Pastors In Nigeria / My Visit To Heaven- Maurice Sklar / Ebo {sacrifice} For Wealth & Abundance [òkànràn Méjì]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.