Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:18 AM

5 Studying Mistakes Students Make And The Remedies - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Studying Mistakes Students Make And The Remedies (1418 Views)

Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. / 6 Common Mistakes Students Make During Examination / 4 Mistakes 99% Of Students Make That’ll Slow Their Progress After Graduation (2) (3) (4)

5 Studying Mistakes Students Make And The Remedies by randwise(m): 4:32am On Nov 21, 2016
1. Studying with your lover.
Okay, girls are psychologically strong enough to overcome this sometimes. But males can't! Females are known to be emotional, sensitive, and talk-loving. They get attracted quickly to any distraction in the surrounding and they always like to tell you to "see what is happening."
Studying with a female, especially beautiful ones, will only keep your attention with them. You tend to look at them if they make a single sound. If they ask you a question, you do have to answer. Infact, something keeps telling you to stop being boring when you start concentrating.
So, you end up using most of the reading hours on your girl than on your book.
You sure do know what the remedy to this is.

2. Listening to music while you study.

According to research, listening to music is interesting, so it occupies the long-term part of the brain! Can you sing Gongo-Aso by 9ice? Yes! Do you know the year it was produced? Very long ago. But you can still sing a good percentage of the song. 
You would tentatively stammer and stutter if I asked you to recite the States and Capitals in Nigeria. The addicts won't like this. Some serious students know this is dangerous.
 The effect of this is in two ways; it slackens your reading. You get slow when reading and listening to music, and you even make pauses unconsciously - this happens mostly when you want that music to synchronise with your reading pattern. You can experiment this. I mean watch people who do it. You shouldn't be doing that again afterall.
The second way is that you only know what you're reading at just that time that you study it. Once you're finished studying, your gained knowledge gradually goes off! So, you read and read but you forget easily.
The remedy is to stop the practice of listening to music.

3. Studying for long hours without breaks

So, you want to cover a very large percentage of your lecture notes because there's not much time. The best thing to do instead is group your notes.
If you have a 30-leaf note to read, read 6 leaves five times. Did you get that? Read 6 leaves, have a short break; you can take a short walk around or go check some beautiful images of babies and mothers on google, then go back to your book after being relieved. This will make your study look light and not cumbersome, and your brain will be ready to assimilate more.

4. You don't test yourself.
Believe this. Pre-exam tests really help. Set questions from what you've read and practice them often. You'll be very amazed to see yourself answering the exam questions before even finishing to read them in the examination hall. Try this, it works. 
Never don't study past questions too. I mean, study past questions too, they help so much.

5. Mobo-multitasking.

Please, don't do it! sad
Reading on your phone while chatting or using the media. That won't just work fine for you, student. It won't.
It's good to read a hard copy and switch your of your phone.

Adapted from https://wtfstudents./2016/11/21/5-study-mistakes-you-are-making-now-and-the-remedies/

Re: 5 Studying Mistakes Students Make And The Remedies by easyhacq(m): 7:29am On Nov 21, 2016
WHAT A GOOD POINTS, THANKS OP
Re: 5 Studying Mistakes Students Make And The Remedies by ashewoboy(m): 8:02am On Nov 21, 2016
that 1st point is rampant. not necessarily your lover, it could be a friend of the opposite sex. you would see a lady and a guy reading. the lady puts her head on the guy's laps and they claim that they are reading. do you know what's saying "hello" inside the guy's boxer?cheesy na fvck go dey him mind. in the process of reading, they would be discussing frivolities. "did you see the cloth rihanna wore to the grammys?she wore mosquito net." hello, you have an exam, wetin concern you with rihanna?

Re: 5 Studying Mistakes Students Make And The Remedies by Neozy(m): 10:36am On Nov 21, 2016
6. Lying Down When Reading.
It Is Like Telling Your Body To Do Two Opposite Things At The Same Time, To Sleep And To Read. It Can't Work Out That Way. Always Sit Up Or Even Stand Up Whenever You Want To Read.
Re: 5 Studying Mistakes Students Make And The Remedies by SEEDORF441(m): 11:27am On Nov 21, 2016
Neozy:
6. Lying Down When Reading.
It Is Like Telling Your Body To Do Two Opposite Things At The Same Time, To Sleep And To Read. It Can't Work Out That Way. Always Sit Up Or Even Stand Up Whenever You Want To Read.
is a lie,i did u get dat.?
Re: 5 Studying Mistakes Students Make And The Remedies by babyfaceafrica: 11:34am On Nov 21, 2016
Not totally true....especially reading with your lover..that itself is a distraction!!
Re: 5 Studying Mistakes Students Make And The Remedies by joeytkjoel: 11:54am On Nov 21, 2016
ashewoboy:
that 1st point is rampant. not necessarily your lover, it could be a friend of the opposite sex. you would see a lady and a guy reading. the lady puts her head on the guy's laps and they claim that they are reading. do you know what's saying "hello" inside the guy's boxer?cheesy na fvck go dey him mind. in the process of reading, they would be discussing frivolities. "did you see the cloth rihanna wore to the grammys?she wore mosquito net." hello, you have an exam, wetin concern you with rihanna?

you're so on point there,happened to me throughout my 2nd year.my result was bad then o.learnt my lesson sha.
Re: 5 Studying Mistakes Students Make And The Remedies by Neozy(m): 2:39pm On Nov 21, 2016
SEEDORF441:
is a lie,i did u get dat.?
Ok. I Don't Have Time For Useless Arguement.
Re: 5 Studying Mistakes Students Make And The Remedies by Sirfrederick(m): 3:08pm On Nov 21, 2016
Good info

Invest your time and 7.4k to get 37k
Email me gor more info
Re: 5 Studying Mistakes Students Make And The Remedies by Saintbado(m): 3:36pm On Nov 21, 2016
i do listen to music while doing calculations and it really helps in my concentration

Nigerians With Two Heads: Meet The Teenage Maths Genius / Some Bizarre Facts You May Know. / Waec English Language Answers