Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,099 members, 7,807,297 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:59 AM

Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? (36374 Views)

Who Is Really Nigeria's Greatest Footballer? / "Look At Your Mates" - Footballer Kelechi Nwakali All Guccified In New Photo / Nigerian Female Footballer Kneels To Collect Her Entitlements. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by robosky02(m): 10:53am On Nov 21, 2016
1. Mercy Akide Udoh
2. Perpetual Nkwacha

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by banknotes: 10:56am On Nov 21, 2016
the answer is Perpetual Mercy

67 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by RoyalBlak007: 10:58am On Nov 21, 2016
Tight one there...i didnt really watch much of Mercy Akide though...
but i think Shes better
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by robosky02(m): 11:01am On Nov 21, 2016
Perpetua Ijeoma Nkwocha :

(born 3 January 1976) is a Nigerian female professional footballer, who is the coach of Clemensnäs IF from Swedish Women's Football Division 2, she previously played for Swedish club Sunnanå SK. She is also a member and the former captain of the Nigeria women's national football team.

1) With the Nigeria national team she has participated in
7 CAF Women's Championship editions (2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2014),

2) winning five of them (2002, 2004, 2006, 2010 and 2014).

3) At the 2004 African Women's Championship, she scored four goals in the final against Cameroon to help her country win the title.

4) She also set a record by scoring nine overall goals during the tournament, and was named the best player of the tournament.

5) Nkwocha was voted African Women's Footballer of the Year 4 times in 2004, 2005, 2010 and 2011 by Confederation of African Football (CAF).

6) Nkwocha has also participated in four FIFA Women's World Cup (2003, 2007, 2011 and 2015),

7) as well as the 3 Olympic tournaments of Sydney 2000, Athens 2004, and Beijing 2008.

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Nobody: 11:01am On Nov 21, 2016
They both great players. But me think Perpetual Nkwocha is/was greater.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by PlayerMeji: 11:01am On Nov 21, 2016
Which kinroftin is dis?

Are you trying to share 3 diamond gems equally between 2 people?

Both of them have been fantastic for Nigeria.

So dont take anything away from them by saying one is greater than the other.

11 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by robosky02(m): 11:04am On Nov 21, 2016
Mercy Akide Udoh:
(born 26 August 1975 in Port Harcourt, Nigeria) is a former Nigerian football player.

1) In the beginning of her career She played two seasons consistency with Jegede Babes, where she scored a record 49 goals in two seasons, caught the attention of national coach Ismaila Mabo and Mercy was called to camp in 1994 for the Super Falcons. But another rush of goals, 17 in the league and 9 in the Challenge Cup earned her a recall.

2) In 2001 she was named the first African Women Footballer of the Year,

3) In 1999 and 2004 she was named the first African in the FIFA World All-Star.

4) She has played for Nigeria in three FIFA Women's World Cups and 1995,1999,and 2003

5) She helped Nigeria's Super Falcons to three African Women Championships (AWC) titles in 1998, 2000 and 2002.

6) She participated in 2 Olympic with the Super Falcons in Sydney 2000, Athens 2004,

7) In November 2004, she married football journalist Colin Udoh. in of Port Harcourt.

cool In 2005, she was named by FIFA as one of its 15 Ambassadors for Women Football. Becoming the most recognized Female footballer from Africa.

Coaching career:
Between 2006-2008, Mercy was employed at Stars Soccer Club, where she was the head coach for Stars U-16 Athena C Gold Girls and worked within Youth Development (an NGO also employing her friend Luke Concannon, a coach of the U-13 girls team.)

From 2008-2013, Mercy worked as the co-director of Youth Development and for Beach FC in Virginia Beach, Virginia. In 2013, Mercy joined the coaching staff of Virginia Rush Soccer Club, in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by robosky02(m): 11:16am On Nov 21, 2016
Lets go there….
ItsQuinn, safarigirl, shizzy7, AngelAhnie, Smellymouth, Mediapace, refiner(, suwalee, optional1, vivianblog1, cruzita, klexycole, VickyRotex(, blueto, TheSuperNerd, mikron, TonyeBarcanist, Ajibel, honeric01

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Nov 21, 2016
Perpetual... and don't ask me why undecided
robosky02:

Lets go there….
ItsQuinn, safarigirl, shizzy7, AngelAhnie, Smellymouth, Mediapace, refiner(, suwalee, optional1, vivianblog1, cruzita, klexycole, VickyRotex(, blueto, TheSuperNerd, mikron, TonyeBarcanist, Ajibel, honeric01
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by robosky02(m): 3:08pm On Nov 21, 2016
ItsQuinn:
Perpetual... and don't ask me why undecided

hope you are not an indomie generation lol

cos if you see football those days grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by kentAire(m): 3:33pm On Nov 21, 2016
Both of them were great but I'll choose perpetual.
Midfielder wey dey influence games and score lots of goals

10 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Nov 21, 2016
grin Lmao
robosky02:

hope you are not an indomie generation lol

cos if you see football those days grin
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by robosky02(m): 3:43pm On Nov 21, 2016
kentAire:
Both of them were great but I'll choose perpetual.
Midfielder wey dey influence games and score lots of goals

I beg to disagree

AKIDE was FIFA recognized

PERPETUA recognition was all in africa

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by optional1(f): 4:52pm On Nov 21, 2016
robosky02:

Lets go there….

Me will choose Mercy cos i dont know her.....
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Nov 21, 2016
Where is the dichotomy between the duo?.

I was privileged to watch Mercy Akide play football in the '99 world Cup to the early 2000.I strongly opine that she was the best striker Nigeria has ever produced in Female Football.

Perpetual Nwokocha was a Midfielder cum goal poacher who could do exploit from midfield. I will say She is the best Midfielder Nigeria Female has ever seen.

Mercy faced stiffer opposition than Perpetual. During the days of Mercy, we were not technically sound as we are today. Mercy took the team on her shoulders. Countries like U. S. A, Sweden, France,Brazil England were way ahead than their African counterparts.

They are both Legends in their own right.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by robosky02(m): 8:21pm On Nov 21, 2016
@kilo4sure bring on the comparison here cheesy
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by robosky02(m): 8:39pm On Nov 21, 2016
optional1:

Me will choose Mercy cos i dont know her.....

how well do you know her....lol grin
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by optional1(f): 8:53pm On Nov 21, 2016
robosky02:

how well do you know her....lol grin

dad I said I do not know her... Now you asking how well do I know her.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by robosky02(m): 9:06pm On Nov 21, 2016
optional1:

dad I said I do not know her... Now you asking how well do I know her.....

ok watch her here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIJS0cVbzIc

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by optional1(f): 9:19pm On Nov 21, 2016
robosky02:

ok watch her here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIJS0cVbzIc

She is super great and good... I still will pick her.

I wish i had such a talent as a kid nd teen.... Well all hope not lost yet my kids will live my dreams.

She is great dad.
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Duru1(m): 12:07am On Nov 22, 2016
RoyalBlak007:

Tight one there...i didnt really watch much of Mercy Akide though...
but i think Shes better

What a joke.
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Duru1(m): 12:09am On Nov 22, 2016
Perpetual Nwokocha is the greatest female footballer Nigeria has produced. Mercy Akide is great.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Icon79(m): 12:37am On Nov 22, 2016
Marvelous Mercy Akide is the numero uno in my book. Her game was totally on a different level.

Perpetual gets a point for longevity tho, but Mercy is just a class above her.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by kilo4sure: 2:58am On Nov 22, 2016
It's a tough one but Mercy Akide's goals have taken us to the quarterfinals of the world cup and till date makes us the only African team to get past the group stage of the Olympics, she is still quite popular globally and in the U.S for her heroics. l would say Akide has helped us more even beyond Africa, and in Africa. But in terms of records, perpetual surpasses her partly due to her more lengthy career. The equation is balanced.

6 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by robosky02(m): 7:48am On Nov 22, 2016
kilo4sure:
It's a tough one but Mercy Akide's goals have taken us to the quarterfinals of the world cup and till date makes us the only African team to get past the group stage of the Olympics, she is still quite popular globally and in the U.S for her heroics. l would say Akide has helped us more even beyond Africa, and in Africa. But in terms of records, perpetual surpasses her partly due to her more lengthy career. The equation is balanced.

ok grin
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by mikron(m): 7:01pm On Nov 22, 2016
robosky02:

Lets go there….
i didnt really get to watch mercy akide play though i know she is up there in terms of greatest naija female footballers, but i go for perpetual

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:18pm On Nov 22, 2016
Mercy Akide made global headlines more than any other African Female footballer. She led The Super Falcons to the Quarters of USA 99 (Fifa WWC)- best ever finish by an African women's team - AND also to the Quarters of the Olympics @ Athens 2004 - Best ever finish by an African women's team at the Olympics.

She always banged in goals against the big guns like USA, Norway and even Sweden. She had 2 Women's WC goals (Nigeria's highest goalscorers at the world cup are Rita Nwadike-3 and Nkiru Okosieme-3).

She also scored 4 times at the Olympics (twice in Sydney 2000 against Norway and China PR, and twice at athens 2004 against Sweden in the first round and Germany in the Quarters). She's Nigeria's and Africa's highest goal bangers olympics-wise.

She won the Caf women's best player award once because that was the period of her twilight years and had the award been awarded since 1995, Akide would have raked it at least 4 times. (Perpetual raked it four solid times) smiley

She made waves in the Women's league in America and was the first Nigerian and African to take the American women's soccer league by "heavy storm" doing great things for San Diego Spirits and Hampton road piranhas. She's also a pelican stars/Jegede babes/Ufuoma babes ex-super star.
Her CAF AWCON goals record stand at 18 goals (not counting her goals exploits at AWCON 1995 when she was just 19 coz I dont have the records from '95 off-hand).

Perpetual Ijeoma Nkwocha made more headlines on the African continent than Akide ever did and also did get the global attention but not exactly like Akide. smiley

Perpetual Nkwocha is the record goals Queen of the CAF AWCON with 34 goals in all. SHE SHATTERED AKIDE'S GOALS RECORD TO PIECES AND HAS 80 INTERNATIONAL GOALS IN 99 APPEARANCES FOR THE SUPER FALCONS. She "possibly" outscored Marvellous Mercy in the Green and white of the Super Falcons. (Will dig out mercy's stats for the Super falcons overall later... It's kinda tough to do).

Her career began with the Falcons from Sydney 2000 where she scored against USA in a 3-1 loss at the olympics. Nigeria got 3 goals at sydney 2000 (guessed who scored the other two? Akide smiley ).

AWCON 2002 was Perpetual's First major impact at the AWCON as her four goals alongside Akide's 3 goals inspired Nigeria to a 5th AWCON triumph.

Perpetual holds so many records:

-She has one Women's World Cup goal (scored against Canada in 2011 edition).

- She has one Olympics women football goal (scored against Brazil at Beijing 2008).

- She has 34 AWCON goals.

- She holds the record for the best/highest goals scored in a single AWCON edition (11goals at the 2010 Awcon).

- She holds the record for the second best/highest goals scored in a single AWCON edition (9 goals at the 2004 Awcon). Marvellous Mercy had 8 goals at one single edition (in 1998).

- She holds the record for most number of goals in a single final (4goals vs Cameroun at Awcon 2004).

- She holds a joint record for most goals scored in a single AWCON game with ASISAT OSHOALA (4 goals)

- She won five AWCON titles (2002, 2004, 2006, 2010, and 2014). Marvellous mercy won four (1995, 1998, 2000, 2002).

- She won Four CAF best women's player awards. (2004, 2005, 2010, 2011).

-She also won the All Africa games women's Gold in 2007 and topped the scorers' chart.

Summarily... Both are super legends and It's almost like a draw.... smiley

But on the whole combining both Continental and Global paramenters/factors, I think Akide edges Nkwocha "Slightly"... BUT IN OSHOALA, WE HAVE A PLAYER WHO CAN GO ON AND SURPASS BOTH. smiley

Other Nigerian women's soccer legends who deserve mentions are:

-Rita Nwadike

-Nkiru Okosieme

-Stella Mbachu

-Maureen Madu

-Kikelomo Ajayi

-Uche Euharia

-Ann Agumanu Chiejine

-Florence Omagbemi

-Patience Avre

-Yinka Kudaisi

-Effioanwan Ekpo

-Marvis Ogun

-Precious Dede

-Nkechi Egbe

-Cynthia Uwak

-Olaitan Yusuf

-Felicia Eze

-Vera Okolo
Etc, Etc... Etc... Etc.... **so many mehn!** smiley

robosky02:

Lets go there….

29 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by optional1(f): 8:37pm On Nov 22, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Mercy Akide made global headlines more than any other African Female footballer. She led The Super Falcons to the Quarters of USA 99 (Fifa WWC)- best ever finish by an African women's team - AND also to the Quarters of the Olympics @ Athens 2004 - Best ever finish by an African women's team at the Olympics.

She always banged in goals against the big guns like USA, Norway and even Sweden. She had 2 Women's WC goals (Nigeria's highest goalscorers at the world cup are Rita Nwadike-3 and Nkiru Okosieme-3).

She also scored 4 times at the Olympics (twice in Sydney 2000 against Norway and China PR, and twice at athens 2004 against Sweden in the first round and Germany in the Quarters). She's Nigeria's and Africa's highest goal bangers olympics-wise.

She won the Caf women's best player award once because that was the period of her twilight years and had the award been awarded since 1995, Akide would have raked it at least 4 times. (Perpetual raked it four solid times) smiley

She made waves in the Women's league in America and was the first Nigerian and African to take the American women's soccer league by "heavy storm" doing great things for San Diego Spirits and Hampton road piranhas. She's also a pelican stars/Jegede babes/Ufuoma babes ex-super star.
Her CAF AWCON goals record stand at 18 goals (not counting her goals exploits at AWCON 1995 when she was just 19 coz I dont have the records from '95 off-hand).

Perpetual Ijeoma Nkwocha made more headlines on the African continent than Akide ever did and also did get the global attention but not exactly like Akide. smiley

Perpetual Nkwocha is the record goals Queen of the CAF AWCON with 34 goals in all. SHE SHATTERED AKIDE'S GOALS RECORD TO PIECES AND HAS 80 INTERNATIONAL GOALS IN 99 APPEARANCES FOR THE SUPER FALCONS. She "possibly" outscored Marvellous Mercy in the Green and white of the Super Falcons. (Will dig out mercy's stats for the Super falcons overall later... It's kinda tough to do).

Her career began with the Falcons from Sydney 2000 where she scored against USA in a 3-1 loss at the olympics. Nigeria got 3 goals at sydney 2000 (guessed who scored the other two? Akide smiley ).

AWCON 2002 was Perpetual's First major impact at the AWCON as her four goals alongside Akide's 3 goals inspired Nigeria to a 5th AWCON triumph.

Perpetual holds so many records:

-She has one Women's World Cup goal (scored against Canada in 2011 edition).

- She has one Olympics women football goal (scored against Brazil at Beijing 2008).

- She has 34 AWCON goals.

- She holds the record for the best/highest goals scored in a single AWCON edition (11goals at the 2010 Awcon).

- She holds the record for the second best/highest goals scored in a single AWCON edition (9 goals at the 2004 Awcon). Marvellous Mercy had 8 goals at one single edition (in 1998).

- She holds the record for most number of goals in a single final (4goals vs Cameroun at Awcon 2004).

- She holds a joint record for most goals scored in a single AWCON game with ASISAT OSHOALA (4 goals)

- She won five AWCON titles (2002, 2004, 2006, 2010, and 2014). Marvellous mercy won four (1995, 1998, 2000, 2002).

- She won Four CAF best women's player awards. (2004, 2005, 2010, 2011).

-She also won the All Africa games women's Gold in 2007 and topped the scorers' chart.

Summarily... Both are super legends and It's almost like a draw.... smiley

But on the whole combining both Continental and Global paramenters/factors, I think Akide edges Nkwocha "Slightly"... BUT IN OSHOALA, WE HAVE A PLAYER WHO CAN GO ON AND SURPASS BOTH. smiley

Other Nigerian women's soccer legends who deserve mentions are:

-Rita Nwadike

-Nkiru Okosieme

-Stella Mbachu

-Maureen Madu

-Uche Euharia

-Ann Agumanu Chiejine

-Florence Omagbemi

-Patience Avre

-Yinka Kudaisi

-Effioanwan Ekpo

-Marvis Ogun

Etc, etc... Etc...

Bestie you great, you good to go anytime anyday....

3 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:13pm On Nov 22, 2016
Thanks Optional.... Your Daddy is watching... smiley
optional1:

Bestie you great, you good to go anytime anyday....
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by optional1(f): 9:42pm On Nov 22, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Thanks Optional.... Your Daddy is watching... smiley

Lolz welcome bestie.....

Dad *robosky02* good evening sir
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by robosky02(m): 11:30am On Nov 23, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Mercy Akide made ....
-Rita Nwadike

-Nkiru Okosieme

-Stella Mbachu

-Maureen Madu

-Uche Euharia

-Ann Agumanu Chiejine

-Florence Omagbemi

-Patience Avre

-Yinka Kudaisi

-Effioanwan Ekpo

-Marvis Ogun

Etc, etc... Etc...

this is great

I remember the golden generation
the trail blazers of African footbal
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by moufan: 1:23pm On Nov 23, 2016
I'm gonna choose mercy akide, she was a very ,very good player those days,she literarily carried super falcons on her shoulders to every competition.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Iran's Players Refuse To Sing National Anthem Ahead Of World Cup Opening Match / Mikel Obi's Twin Daughters With Russian Girlfriend Look All Grown (see Photos) / AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.