Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,563 members, 7,801,597 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:49 PM

RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. (3437 Views)

My Toyota Corolla Verso Jerks When Accelerating / My Honda Accord Vibrate/jerk When Entering First/second Gear And Reverse / 7 Reasons Why Car Jerks When Accelerating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. by MightyThor(m): 12:19pm On Nov 21, 2016
Hi all,

I have this AWD RX330 and I noticed that when I coast and then accelerate there is a single jerk as the gear just banged in or something, aside from that there are no check engine light or VSC on. The transmission aside from this occasional jerk performs superbly (no slipping or delays or noise of any kind) I have done a tranny oil change early last year. This single jerk has always been there since I imported the car.

I some times feel that this maybe coming from the transfer case, maybe the transfer chain/belt has a slack during coasting and when you accelerate the slack tightens suddenly and causes the jerk. or does auto tranny clutch disengaged when a car is coasting? This is just a theory. I have gone online to check and discovered that most car make his this particular issue.

Can any of the auto gurus offer a remedy to this?
Pls am not in Lagos.
Re: RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. by earthrealm(m): 2:39pm On Nov 21, 2016
usually signs of impending gearbox failure/troubles...........
its gonna get worse, and by then the damage would be irreversible, take it to a reputable auto shop n get it scanned and sorted out. you may be fortunate and a simple fluid change will resolve the problem. when last did u replace the differential and axle fluids?
contact gauzz, he is among the good ones
Re: RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. by mayor2013: 5:06pm On Nov 21, 2016
MightyThor:
Hi all,

I have this AWD RX330 and I noticed that when I coast and then accelerate there is a single jerk as the gear just banged in or something, aside from that there are no check engine light or VSC on. The transmission aside from this occasional jerk performs superbly (no slipping or delays or noise of any kind) I have done a tranny oil change early last year. This single jerk has always been there since I imported the car.

I some times feel that this maybe coming from the transfer case, maybe the transfer chain/belt has a slack during coasting and when you accelerate the slack tightens suddenly and causes the jerk. or does auto tranny clutch disengaged when a car is coasting? This is just a theory. I have gone online to check and discovered that most car make his this particular issue.

Pls am not in Lagos.

Did you change the strianer as well or you just did a drain and refill. Did you run any scan?
Re: RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. by kingreign(m): 5:56am On Nov 22, 2016
MightyThor:
Hi all,

Pls am not in Lagos.

Do you hear a thud from the rear under side of the car?
I feel its a differential or the bushings. If you're in Abuja contact
Mike 07034581213 to inspect and pin point exact location of that issue.
Re: RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. by kingreign(m): 5:59am On Nov 22, 2016
earthrealm:
usually signs of impending gearbox failure/troubles...........
its gonna get worse, and by then the damage would be irreversible, take it to a reputable auto shop n get it scanned and sorted out. you may be fortunate and a simple fluid change will resolve the problem. when last did u replace the differential and axle fluids?
contact gauzz, he is among the good ones
Its NOT a transmission issue. A lot of RXs have that slight shudder or thud when theres sudden acceleration and then sudden release of throttle pedal, while some have it during light dab at the throttle during coasting.
Re: RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. by MightyThor(m): 7:56am On Nov 22, 2016
kingreign:

Do you hear a thud from the rear under side of the car?
I feel its a differential or the bushings. If you're in Abuja contact
Mike 07034581213 to inspect and pin point exact location of that issue.

Yeah it sounds from under the car towards the back.
I am currently in Warri.

I am inclined to agree with you on the differential or seating idea, do you have any suggestions on how I can go about fixing it?
Re: RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. by kingreign(m): 8:00am On Nov 22, 2016
MightyThor:

Yeah it sounds from under the car towards the back.
I am currently in Warri.

I am inclined to agree with you on the differential or seating idea, do you have any suggestions on how I can go about fixing it?

Your technician should jack ALL the wheels up, start inspecting the propeller shaft and joints, the propeller bolts and bushings. He should also check the differential bushings and bolts. Then also re-tighten the rear beams.
It's normal for these bushings to wear out after long usage due to wear and tear.
Re: RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. by MightyThor(m): 8:09am On Nov 22, 2016
kingreign:

Your technician should jack ALL the wheels up, start inspecting the propeller shaft and joints, the propeller bolts and bushings. He should also check the differential bushings and bolts. Then also re-tighten the rear beams.
It's normal for these bushings to wear out after long usage due to wear and tear.

Thanks man, will do as you advised.

1 Like

Re: RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. by earthrealm(m): 10:47am On Nov 22, 2016
kingreign:

Its NOT a transmission issue. A lot of RXs have that slight shudder or thud when theres sudden acceleration and then sudden release of throttle pedal, while some have it during light dab at the throttle during coasting.

YEah, i probablly didnt read the post well,
it may be a differential issue, though my money is on the propeller shaft, some cars have zerk fittings tru which you can grease the shaft, its a common problem on the 4th gen 4runner, he cud also check the differential fluid and replace if necessary
Re: RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. by obitryce(m): 4:50pm On Nov 22, 2016
Tot i was the only one experiencing this on my Lexus Rx330. Happens once in awhile, initially i thought it was a loose engine sitting but from my little research it might have to do with a failing center support bearing for the drive shaft . Am also located in warri & would love to know how you get to resolve yours.
Re: RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. by kingreign(m): 5:37pm On Nov 22, 2016
Normal thing even mine experiences such once a while grin but, latest development, just below the lid of the glove box, I saw new cracks appearing embarassed angry
obitryce:
Tot i was the only one experiencing this on my Lexus Rx330. Happens once in awhile, initially thought it was a loose engine sitting. Am also located in warri.
Re: RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. by mayor2013: 8:32pm On Nov 22, 2016
kingreign:
Normal thing even mine experiences such once a while grin but, latest development, just below the lid of the glove box, I saw new cracks appearing embarassed angry

Give it what it needs.
Re: RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. by kingreign(m): 8:46pm On Nov 22, 2016
mayor2013:

Give it what it needs.
What is it bro?
I no go like wrap any dashboard
Re: RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. by mayor2013: 8:56pm On Nov 22, 2016
kingreign:

What is it bro?
I no go like wrap any dashboard

Lexus and toyota with cracked dash angry
Re: RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. by obitryce(m): 8:30am On Nov 23, 2016
Either wrapping or replacement of the dashboard, lexus, murano, infinity dem no put our harsh sun into consideration when dem bin dey produce these cars dashboards grin
Re: RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. by kingreign(m): 9:06am On Nov 23, 2016
obitryce:
Either wrapping or replacement of the dashboard, lexus, murano, infinity dem no put our harsh sun into consideration when dem bin dey produce these cars dashboards grin

Land Rover Range Rover.
Re: RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. by MightyThor(m): 1:31pm On Nov 23, 2016
I've decided to just turn a blind eye to the cracks on my dash, the interior color of mine is black so it slightly helps in masking the cracks.

however if the crack deteriorate and becomes unpleasant to the eyes will consult you guys for options.

by the way I noticed my speaker is not as sharp as before both in FM or disc mode. Suspecting a torn speaker but am skeptical about doing a change till I can get someone who really knows about car audio systems.
Re: RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. by obitryce(m): 4:41pm On Nov 23, 2016
New speaker na 5k, changed one 2months ago, having my dashboard re-wrapped next week. The guy did a poor job and has agreed to redo it. Also visited my mechanic who checked my drive shaft bearing, re-tightened some screws and also confirmed there's a bit of allowance with the drive shaft as designed which leads to that thud sound some times when it engages the axle/back differential. Confirmed it from anoda Lexus RX330 owner at the workshop.
Re: RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. by MightyThor(m): 10:02am On Nov 25, 2016
kingreign:

Chairman I hail oooo,
pls do you still experience this thump sound?
why am asking is cos, given the fact that you are in a position to fix your car issue yourself and this is currently manifesting in your car (albert once in a while) is this something you feel is not worth the effort or was the fix a temporary solution or is there no fix to it?

I just want to get your opinion if this is something I should live with or make a effort to fix.

obitryce:
New speaker na 5k, changed one 2months ago, having my dashboard re-wrapped next week. The guy did a poor job and has agreed to redo it. Also visited my mechanic who checked my drive shaft bearing, re-tightened some screws and also confirmed there's a bit of allowance with the drive shaft as designed which leads to that thud sound some times when it engages the axle/back differential. Confirmed it from anoda Lexus RX330 owner at the workshop.

My fear in changing the speaker is getting capable hands to do the job, by the way what prompted you to change the speaker and how did you identify which speaker is bad?

In my case it is difficult to pinpoint which speaker is giving me the distorted sound, even when I tried isolating each speaker (via the POS (driver, rear, front, etc nub) don't know if all the speaker can be faulty at once or there is another issue causing the bad sound production.
Re: RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. by obitryce(m): 3:33pm On Nov 25, 2016
Had the door lining removed and the speakers inspected found one a bit torn, had it replaced. Has a USB like connection Simply disconnect old one and fix the new one.

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Corolla 2006 ECU ..how Much Will It Cost To Get One ? / Is The Infinity M35x Very Thirsty Or This Particular One Is Faulty / How Do I Get To Elegushi From Anthony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.