Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,303 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:07 AM

Are There Really Laws Of Physics? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Are There Really Laws Of Physics? (969 Views)

Interesting Facts About The Pope Of Physics. / Is There Really Anywhere To Generate Bitcoin For Real, / Nigerian Physics Student Builds A Drone, Names It ‘hope For Chibok Girls’,(pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are There Really Laws Of Physics? by taurus25(m): 7:02pm On Nov 21, 2016
Ok great scientists of nairaland, ive been thinking lately, i have been pondering on this human construct by which we claim to understand the universe called laws of physics or nature. Do certain laws really govern how everything operates in the universe?.

This thought came to mind when i read about the law breaking EM drive that seems to shatter newtons third law of motion by generating thrust from well, basically nothing.

http://www.sciencealert.com/it-s-official-nasa-s-peer-reviewed-em-drive-paper-has-finally-been-published.

Its a known issue that einstein's theory of relativity doesnt hold at quantum level, because of this scientists have been on the search for an ultimate theory that unifies the both, dubbed- the theory of everything. Do we have two separate scales at which everything operates?..the quantum scale and the macro world? , or is it that we just try to make sense out of random piece of cosmic waste and call them laws.

Now, my issue is, is the universe really suppose to behave a certain way all the time?. Or is it maybe we havent fully understood the way the universe is operating.?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are There Really Laws Of Physics? by johnydon22(m): 6:00am On Nov 22, 2016
good question, let me wait for others contribution..
Re: Are There Really Laws Of Physics? by Nobody: 8:14am On Nov 22, 2016
One thing you need to understand is science is subjected to change and re-evaluation that's the reason we have critiques of lots and lots of theories, physics isn't an exception. As a scholar, you can come up to critique a theory and if it holds water you would be recognized academically.

Even Albert Einstein made some dumb assumptions and postulations concerning quantum mechanics but another physicist critique that of Einstein's and he ended up being right. Einstein kept on saying "God does not play dice with the Universe" but the other guy had to disprove Einstein's initial proposition.

Physics could sometimes be crazy and complex that a theory and critique may both be right that's why I personally love physics. For example, let's take a light as a case study.

A theory explains light to be a wave. Correct!, A critique came up and proved Light existed as particles. Upon scientific observation over time, Both theories turns out to be correct. So what am I saying? Scientific theories are very open to changes prior to new evidence/observation.

1 Like

Re: Are There Really Laws Of Physics? by Vctr: 9:06am On Nov 22, 2016
Yes, the universe can broadly be categorised in two scales i.e the quantum and macro/real world.

I think it would be unfair to think that the universe is being ruled on a random setting. In space and our own surroundings, the laws of physics are real because we can see them and they are predictable... Nuclear fusion, thermodynamics... All of these and many more occur in outer space

but in the crazy world of quantum mechanics or should i call it "the uncertainty world" the laws of physics are shatterd. From the movement to the acceleration of particles is real randomness. This are the limits of the laws of physics

but looking deeper, the quantums are the biulding blocks of the macros. Everything we see are made up of particles/molecules and yet the macros are more organised than their constituents.
So can random+random=pattern ?.

If the cosmos were as uncertain as the quantums, would we exist?
Re: Are There Really Laws Of Physics? by taurus25(m): 9:53am On Nov 22, 2016
aaronson:
One thing you need to understand is science is subjected to change and re-evaluation that's the reason we have critiques of lots and lots of theories, physics isn't an exception. As a scholar, you can come up to critique a theory and if it holds water you would be recognized academically.

Even Albert Einstein made some dumb assumptions and postulations concerning quantum mechanics but another physicist critique that of Einstein's and he ended up being right. Einstein kept on saying "God does not play dice with the Universe" but the other guy had to disprove Einstein's initial proposition.

Physics could sometimes be crazy and complex that a theory and critique may both be right that's why I personally love physics. For example, let's take a light as a case study.

A theory explains light to be a wave. Correct!, A critique came up and proved Light existed as particles. Upon scientific observation over time, Both theories turns out to be correct. So what am I saying? Scientific theories are very open to changes prior to new evidence/observation.

Ok nice.....maybe there's more to everything we think we know about nature. Take for example, a new hypothesis suggests that gravity might be an illusion, a side effect and not cause of whats happening in the universe, because at large scales, it seems, gravity just doesn't behave the way Einstein's theory predicts.

http://www.sciencealert.com/a-new-paper-claims-our-understanding-of-gravity-is-totally-wrong
Re: Are There Really Laws Of Physics? by taurus25(m): 10:04am On Nov 22, 2016
Vctr:
Yes, the universe can broadly be categorised in two scales i.e the quantum and macro/real world.

I think it would be unfair to think that the universe is being ruled on a random setting. In space and our own surroundings, the laws of physics are real because we can see them and they are predictable... Nuclear fusion, thermodynamics... All of these and many more occur in outer space

but in the crazy world of quantum mechanics or should i call it "the uncertainty world" the laws of physics are shatterd. From the movement to the acceleration of particles is real randomness. This are the limits of the laws of physics

but looking deeper, the quantums are the biulding blocks of the macros. Everything we see are made up of particles/molecules and yet the macros are more organised than their constituents.
So can random+random=pattern ?.

If the cosmos were as uncertain as the quantums, would we exist?
Why would the quantum really be differentiated from the real world? , because everything both the the quantum and the macro are part of the same universe. Since there are certain laws that govern how everything is suppose to act, why do some hold for the real world and break down at quantum scale.

For example, cause and effect is completely shattered at quantum level. Is it that maybe were not just explaining things correctly yet, or the universe is messing with us.
Re: Are There Really Laws Of Physics? by tartar9(m): 1:23pm On Nov 22, 2016
taurus25:
Ok great scientists of nairaland, ive been thinking lately, i have been pondering on this human construct by which we claim to understand the universe called laws of physics or nature. Do certain laws really govern how everything operates in the universe?.

This thought came to mind when i read about the law breaking EM drive that seems to shatter newtons third law of motion by generating thrust from well, basically nothing.

http://www.sciencealert.com/it-s-official-nasa-s-peer-reviewed-em-drive-paper-has-finally-been-published.

Its a known issue that einstein's theory of relativity doesnt hold at quantum level, because of this scientists have been on the search for an ultimate theory that unifies the both, dubbed- the theory of everything. Do we have two separate scales at which everything operates?..the quantum scale and the macro world? , or is it that we just try to make sense out of random piece of cosmic waste and call them laws.

Now, my issue is, is the universe really suppose to behave a certain way all the time?. Or is it maybe we havent fully understood the way the universe is operating.?

Re: Are There Really Laws Of Physics? by Vctr: 7:26pm On Nov 22, 2016
taurus25:

Why would the quantum really be differentiated from the real world? , because everything both the the quantum and the macro are part of the same universe. Since there are certain laws that govern how everything is suppose to act, why do some hold for the real world and break down at quantum scale.

For example, cause and effect is completely shattered at quantum level. Is it that maybe were not just explaining things correctly yet, or the universe is messing with us.

For now we may have to seperate this two worlds, despite the fact that they are in the same universe. It may be that the law governing the quantum world is "randomness" or "no law" .

The real and the quantum worlds are like parallel lines that will never meet(reaching a consensus) but yet the later is the origin of the former. I'm i making sense?

But in the macro world, there are forms of nature that seem to take part in the quantum party. Like the pattern/randomness in which plants/trees/flowers follow during their growth, shape/movement of an amoeba, and on a larger scale, the arrangements of stars(constellations)...

Probably in years to come, mathematicians and physicists would work closely to decode the cosmos code, then we may begin to understand the quantum party.
Re: Are There Really Laws Of Physics? by taurus25(m): 7:58pm On Nov 22, 2016
Vctr:

For now we may have to seperate this two worlds, despite the fact that they are in the same universe. It may be that the law governing the quantum world is "randomness" or "no law" .

possibly true, what we need is a scientific breakthrough to decode the quantum world. What ever lies within the realms of the quantum world might be what we need to crack the mystery behind the birth of the universe, because i strongly believe the both worlds must be linked together some how.

The real and the quantum worlds are like parallel lines that will never meet(reaching a consensus) but yet the later is the origin of the former. I'm i making sense?

Youre not completely off track on this brother. I think the quantum world is responsible for the real world also, but i also believe they can both be linked someway somehow.

But in the macro world, there are forms of nature that seem to take part in the quantum party. Like the pattern/randomness in which plants/trees/flowers follow during their growth, shape/movement of an amoeba, and on a larger scale, the arrangements of stars(constellations)...

But these patterns are continous and constant, hence are predictable which brings are about formulation of laws and theories to explain how these things operates due to observations over time..this is basically the scientific process. The problem arises when certain things tend to disobey these laws. The macro world is fairly stable and predictable to a large extent, for example mathematical laws hold for the entirety of the universe( at least its expected to based on what we have observed so far.

Probably in years to come, mathematicians and physicists would work closely to decode the cosmos code, then we may begin to understand the quantum party.

I hope so too. Thank you so much for your contributions so far....very much appreciated.
Re: Are There Really Laws Of Physics? by taurus25(m): 8:03pm On Nov 22, 2016
more of this guys.

Cc sirwere , immortal , valentinemary , teempakguy , butterfly88
Re: Are There Really Laws Of Physics? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Nov 22, 2016
A bit late to the party.
There are already excellent responses and I sight our resident astronomer in sight but let me add my two cents kobo (cents in this time of recession ke angry cheesy)

What is a scientific law??

"A scientific law is a statement describing an observed regularity among facts, usually expressed in mathematics."

Good enough, well enough, but what are facts

For instance, one can come to the erroneous assumption that the Sun rises and sets. That is a "fact" based on observation of the phenomena as it regularly occurs. One can certainly not blame them for seeing it that way; given the limited knowledge they had.
It was a "fact" to them.

But still they were wrong.

Their scientific law;which was the frame work for the HelioCentric theory was skewed; hence their theory is wrong.

This is not a new thing; it has been happening through the centuries preceding and after the Scientific Revolution.

Trusted or assumed facts are found to be false and law are modified; theory are mowed down. In the most extreme cases (relativity; quantum- wave mechanics, evolution); a new line of thinking has to arise from the ashes of the old one.

I digress, of course. Pardon moi.

You ask; is there such a thing as laws in Physics.
I say;
In the sense that laws from physics are born from observations made, tried and rigorously tested, yes there are laws. These laws hold through and can be held reliable........at least in the real world. Newton's Law of gravity; Maxwell's electromagnetic laws.
Solid, straight and dependable

When we go to quantum mechanics; it becomes tricker though. The guidelines seem to be off and orderliness jumbles into a mass of chaos.

But does this mean there are no laws

I think not!

Quantum physics is a relatively new area of physics. It's not even a century old yet.
Compounding the problem here is that we're still trying to use the theories and laws that work in the real and macro world as a sort of guide.
Kind of like using Google Earth when driving in the villages of Osun. (Kole werk grin).
It just won't work!

I feel physicists should treat quantum mechanics as a totally different branch.
Rather than puzzle and quibble over how and why quantum mechanics is so different; they should just IGNORE the disrepancies.

I liken it to this analogy.

A person who has been living all his life in Europe comes to an Osun village, suddenly.
Obviously; the priviledges and perks he knows won't apply (imagine if he was a stock broker); and he would probably get nowhere if he stubbornly tries to effect the rules he knows.

But, if he decides to calm down; shed the cityboy skin he's developed and try to get along with this society; he'll gain acceptance and knowledge!

This knowledge might not have made sense to his former self (imagine; throwing money and foodstuffs into the Osun river) but his new self will understand its supposed importance.

And once he is a fully integrated member of the village, with extensive knowledge of the community; well; I won't be surprised if he found similarities between his old life and his new one.

Perhaps he might even find the ultimate Holy Grail:

The connection between the two seperate bizzare systems.

For it was from these chaotic, semi-civilized villages that great empires rose.

Same goes for physcis

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are There Really Laws Of Physics? by ValentineMary(m): 8:51pm On Nov 22, 2016
Good question.
From my point of view, I think it would not be entirely right to compare the quantum world to the minute part of the cosmos we observe. We barely understand how the cosmos works. For all we know, it might just be another big atom. So having an inappropriate knowledge of the cosmos and comparing to our knowledge of quantum physics which we know more of is quite arrogant.
To understand the universe, we should study the smaller universe (atom) properly.

And one major thing about science is how it allows questioning and scrutiny. We can never claim that a theory is 100% correct, rather we claim it is the conventional knowledge until proven otherwise. So theories can be debunked not because we can't understand physical laws but rather because we are not there yet.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are There Really Laws Of Physics? by taurus25(m): 9:26pm On Nov 22, 2016
SirWere:
A bit late to the party.
There are already excellent responses and I sight our resident astronomer in sight but let me add my two cents kobo (cents in this time of recession ke angry cheesy)

What is a scientific law??

"A scientific law is a statement describing an observed regularity among facts, usually expressed in mathematics."

Good enough, well enough, but what are facts

For instance, one can come to the erroneous assumption that the Sun rises and sets. That is a "fact" based on observation of the phenomena as it regularly occurs. One can certainly not blame them for seeing it that way; given the limited knowledge they had.
It was a "fact" to them.

But still they were wrong.

Their scientific law;which was the frame work for the HelioCentric theory was skewed; hence their theory is wrong.

This is not a new thing; it has been happening through the centuries preceding and after the Scientific Revolution.

Trusted or assumed facts are found to be false and law are modified; theory are mowed down. In the most extreme cases (relativity; quantum- wave mechanics, evolution); a new line of thinking has to arise from the ashes of the old one.

I digress, of course. Pardon moi.

You ask; is there such a thing as laws in Physics.
I say;
In the sense that laws from physics are born from observations made, tried and rigorously tested, yes there are laws. These laws hold through and can be held reliable........at least in the real world. Newton's Law of gravity; Maxwell's electromagnetic laws.
Solid, straight and dependable

When we go to quantum mechanics; it becomes tricker though. The guidelines seem to be off and orderliness jumbles into a mass of chaos.

But does this mean there are no laws

I think not!

Quantum physics is a relatively new area of physics. It's not even a century old yet.
Compounding the problem here is that we're still trying to use the theories and laws that work in the real and macro world as a sort of guide.
Kind of like using Google Earth when driving in the villages of Osun. (Kole werk grin).
It just won't work!

I feel physicists should treat quantum mechanics as a totally different branch.
Rather than puzzle and quibble over how and why quantum mechanics is so different; they should just IGNORE the disrepancies.

I liken it to this analogy.

A person who has been living all his life in Europe comes to an Osun village, suddenly.
Obviously; the priviledges and perks he knows won't apply (imagine if he was a stock broker); and he would probably get nowhere if he stubbornly tries to effect the rules he knows.

But, if he decides to calm down; shed the cityboy skin he's developed and try to get along with this society; he'll gain acceptance and knowledge!

This knowledge might not have made sense to his former self (imagine; throwing money and foodstuffs into the Osun river) but his new self will understand its supposed importance.

And once he is a fully integrated member of the village, with extensive knowledge of the community; well; I won't be surprised if he found similarities between his old life and his new one.

Perhaps he might even find the ultimate Holy Grail:

The connection between the two seperate bizzare systems.

For it was from these chaotic, semi-civilized villages that great empires rose.

Same goes for physcis

Nice one bro ...the quantum world is really interesting.....

Any thoughts on the EM drive?
Re: Are There Really Laws Of Physics? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Nov 22, 2016
taurus25:

Nice one bro ...the quantum world is really interesting.....
Any thoughts on the EM drive?
Nahhh..... It's not gonna fly
Re: Are There Really Laws Of Physics? by Nobody: 12:00am On Nov 23, 2016
I am late. Again.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to add much because of my limited device. However, I'm seriously following.

(1) (Reply)

Hi / Upgrade Ur Bb Phones / Website Development & Desktop Publishing Instructors Needed Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.