Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:24 AM

Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry (11840 Views)

Exposed: Senate Uncovers N2.5bn Fraud By Buhari’s Committee ( Read Details) / North-east Rehabilitation: Senate Uncovers N2.5bn Fraud / Presidential Panel Uncovers Fraud In Army (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by dre11(m): 9:30am On Nov 23, 2016
•Gets Nov. 30 deadline to submit report

From Molly Kilete, Abuja

The presidential committee investigating arms purchase to prosecute the counter-insurgency war in the North-East has been given November 30 deadline to submit its report.

There are fears that the deadline came as a shock to members. Reason: The committee has uncovered a N2.175 billion fraud in one of the agencies of the Ministry of Defence.

The money, meant for arms procurement, was allegedly diverted. Members believed the deadline, may have been engineered by powerful forces who were indicted in the alleged fraud.

The committee which was set up last year, had submitted three reports. Implementation of the report had led to the prosecution of the former Chief of Defence Staff, Lt. Gen. Alex Badeh (retd).
Similarly, some other top officers are currently being detained for their roles in the illegal diversion of funds meant for military operations.

In its third report submitted in July this year, the committee made up of very senior retired and serving military officers, and headed by Air Vice Marshal J.O.N. Ode, indicted former Chiefs of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Azubuike Ihejirika (retd) and Kenneth Minimah (retd), top military officers and civilians.

Sources told Daily Sun that the committee during its investigation on the Ministry of Defence had uncovered a whopping N2.175 billion fraud traced to one of the agencies under the ministry for a specific project.

However, rather than embark on the said project, the money was diverted. The committee discovered that the money meant for the project was paid in instalments to some corporate bodies and Bureaux De Change.

Daily Sun authoritatively gathered that the said money was part of the N35 billion the ministry took as loan from the Debt Management Office (DMO) to purchase equipment for troops on international peace-keeping mission with the aim of getting reimbursements from the United Nations.

The committee since its inauguration on August 31, 2015, is said to have so far submitted four interim reports to the Presidency.

Daily Sun gathered that some past defence ministers, permanent secretaries and directors of finance in the ministry have been indicted in the said missing money and recommended for probe and further investigation by the relevant government agencies to get to the root of the matter.

Trouble was said to have started for the committee when a member of the House of Representatives accused the Committee on Audit of Defence Equipment Procurement in the Nigerian Armed Forces (CADEP) of deliberately delaying the report of its committee after over one year of its inauguration.

The committee was accused of being biased and indicted those perceived to be enemies of the present administration as culprits in the illegal purchase of arms and ammunition for the military.

On its investigation on the Nigerian Navy which Daily Sun gathered is ongoing, the committee has already sent out investigations to some past Chiefs of Naval Staff, Chiefs of Budgets and Accounts, Chiefs of Training and Operations, Chiefs of Policy and Plans, Directors of Procurement to appear before it.

Although Daily Sun could not ascertain if the committee would be able to conclude its investigation before the November 30 deadline, sources say it will be unfair for the other services where the committee spent months conducting their investigations and openly disgraced them.

To do a through job, it was gathered that the committee needs between two and three months.

Aready, some serving and retired military personnel are accusing the committee members of being biased in their investigation and doing the bidding of government.

The committee probing arms procurement for the Navy began sittings last week. But there was anxiety that the committee may not do a thorough job as was done for the Army, Air Force and the Defence Ministry.

Aside the deadline, the committee has also been barred from requesting for documents and other materials from the agencies under probe.

The deadline will definitely hamper CADEP from effectively carrying out its work, because it has always depended on the documents provided by the organisations, ministries, parastatals and agencies under probe.

There are indications that all may not be well between the committee and the Federal Government after it submitted its fourth interim report indicting persons perceived to be untouchable, about four weeks ago.

http://sunnewsonline.com/arms-deal-panel-uncovers-n2-175bn-fraud-in-defence-ministry/

1 Share

Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by kingphilip(m): 9:43am On Nov 23, 2016
There are indications that all may not be well between the committee and the Federal Government after it submitted its fourth interim report indicting persons perceived to be untouchable, about four weeks ago.

Even in Mr integrity's Era there's still untouchables

We are sure heading to nowhere then if that's the case because even with the several indictment there have never been an trial to find out the culpability or otherwise of the infected

I just hope the acting CJN will introduce special courts for corruption cases to expedite trials just like what's happening in the cases surrounding the Ondo elections.. I think what that everyone knows their fate early and things will be better

3 Likes

Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by Nobody: 9:43am On Nov 23, 2016
Jonathan sef

3 Likes

Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by Sibrah: 9:45am On Nov 23, 2016
Come 2019 I shall go for Buhari. Which other leader would have opened our eyes to these theft and made genuine recovery attempt?

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by YOUNGELDER1(m): 9:53am On Nov 23, 2016
Sibrah:
Come 2019 I shall go for Buhari. Which other leader would have opened our eyes to these theft and made genuine recovery attempt?

go for buhari with the current situation 9ja is facing ? another 4 years of these ?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by kingphilip(m): 9:53am On Nov 23, 2016
Sibrah:
I'm yet to see any genuine recovery attempt as you've termed it only media trials which holds no water

He should balance fixing the economy and fighting corruption because one shouldn't lack at the expense of another

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by chernest2002: 10:21am On Nov 23, 2016
Hope the Dubai property Will be recovered.

3 Likes

Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by Sibrah: 11:05am On Nov 23, 2016
YOUNGELDER1:

go for buhari with the current situation 9ja is facing ? another 4 years of these ?
Buhari has no hands in your situation, the oil income you depend on does. Go ask farmers who are productive about the "situation".

18 Likes

Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by naijagobetter(m): 11:46am On Nov 23, 2016
my question is what happens after buhari? We will be back to square one, he is suppose to be building institutions that wil checkmate corruption even after he is gone. This present approach will not lead us anywhere. This is Nigeria ooo...

5 Likes

Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by wowmenow: 11:48am On Nov 23, 2016
Another lies and distraction from buhari

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by greatiyk4u(m): 11:54am On Nov 23, 2016
Sibrah:

I dey behind you gun

1 Like

Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by herzernIsHere: 12:16pm On Nov 23, 2016
They have commenced the media trial aqain.......Why can't they stay mute??...Look for evidence and prosecute these thieves.....

I want to start seeinq Politicians whenever I qo for Prison evangelism......

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by jeeqaa7(m): 12:17pm On Nov 23, 2016
j
Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by veekid(m): 12:17pm On Nov 23, 2016
GEJ sef
Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by Nobody: 12:18pm On Nov 23, 2016
Daily Sun authoritatively gathered that the said money was part of the N35 billion the ministry took as loan from the Debt Management Office (DMO) to purchase equipment for troops on international peace-keeping mission with the aim of getting reimbursements from the United Nations.
Meanwhile, so retards would ignore this and overlook the fact that the Ministry of Defence under GEJ was borrowing money to buy arms when oil sold for $110 per barrel.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by abumeinben(m): 12:18pm On Nov 23, 2016
Ok...good discovery.

I hope we shall stand shoulder to shoulder with US Army after all these loots and diversions are recovered!

1 Like

Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by NaijaMutant(f): 12:18pm On Nov 23, 2016
Ok
Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by BrutalJab: 12:18pm On Nov 23, 2016
Keep uncovering and discovering.
Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by ShitHead(m): 12:18pm On Nov 23, 2016
They will uncover the fraud and cover the fraudsters. Democrazy!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by Paulsigh: 12:18pm On Nov 23, 2016
chernest2002:
Hope the Dubai property Will be recovered.
na hope
Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by Rich4god(m): 12:19pm On Nov 23, 2016
May the innocent soldiers and civilians that died as a direct result of poor combat equipment torment all these men involved in the fraud....

1 Like

Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by Nobody: 12:19pm On Nov 23, 2016
they keep uncovering loots yet they still want to borrow $29.9billion dollars, who is fooling who?, Abacha loots too is there...GOVERNMENT OF PROPAGANDA

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by Nobody: 12:20pm On Nov 23, 2016
N2.175 billion
I don't know if it's only me..... why can't they prosecute those found wanting rather than everyday we keep hearing of recovered loots.

All these recovered loots sef, it's only on paper that i found it existing, nothing to show for it.

Indicting only the oppositions.

None sense govt.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by henrydadon(m): 12:20pm On Nov 23, 2016
grin

corruption is never gonna stop in this country ..it high time you all accept itangry

1 Like

Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by ephi123(f): 12:20pm On Nov 23, 2016
Fraud fraud fraud everywhere. What kind of country is this?!

2 Likes

Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by greatermax77(m): 12:21pm On Nov 23, 2016
This panel sef, always uncovering large sums that will later be covered

1 Like

Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by Atiku2019: 12:22pm On Nov 23, 2016
Atiku2019
Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by ephi123(f): 12:22pm On Nov 23, 2016
Sibrah:

Good thing you said "I"
What is the point of "opening our eyes to these thefts" if NOTHING is done about it?
Media propaganda everywhere

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by Chikelue2000(m): 12:23pm On Nov 23, 2016
Make I hear
Re: Arms Deal: Panel Uncovers N2.175bn Fraud In Defence Ministry by Nobody: 12:24pm On Nov 23, 2016
Mtchew abegii all this talk don dey sound stale,all this plenty money and yet no sign of the economy improving,yet we dey hear FG dey seek for loan.abeg who go teach me mmm or bitcoin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pictures Of Some Areas After Monday Night Heavy Rainfall In Abuja / Explain Borno, Adamawa Attacks, Fayose Tells Lai Mohammed / Edo APC Lawmakers Threaten To Dump Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.