Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,888 members, 7,806,575 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:26 PM

Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. (20180 Views)

Why Oluwo Akanbi Divorced Chanel Chin: The Real Reason / Oduduwa Isn't The Father Of The 'Yorubas' / 5 Unwritten Cultural Rules Of The Yorubas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by drsugar: 7:36am On Nov 25, 2016
Heard the igbos using these words like the yorubas use them while I was in the East and kept wondering who the real originator of the words is.

Oya - as in 'oya' now
Shakara - as in your 'shakara' too much
Gragra - as in no do 'gragra' for me.
Egusi - as in 'egusi' soup
Sha - as in okay 'sha'.
Abi - as in 'Abi' now

Add any other word like this if you know.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Edwinmason(m): 7:44am On Nov 25, 2016
nor is the sole originator
Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by ObaKlaz: 7:53am On Nov 25, 2016
Oya, Sha, Egusi and abi are 100% YORUBA WORDS. I'm not sure about Shakara and Gragra.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by aylagos(m): 8:06am On Nov 25, 2016
"Egusi ati Oya" je ojulowo ede yoruba ti ko ni ikun si nu tabi ariyan jiyan. "Sha" wa ninu awon eya oro ni ede yoruba bi apere: Sha je ka lo, oti le soro ju Sha ati bebe lo. Abi je eya oro ti ohun fi idani loju si ibere ninu oro Yoruba, bi apere, Abi ko so opolo ni ori Op yi ni ? Abi baba re ko si ni ile ni? Abi ki n gba oju Op yi ni. So op try to read my comment

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by AfricanApple(f): 8:51am On Nov 25, 2016
they are all Yoruba words

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 1:12pm On Nov 25, 2016
drsugar:
Heard the igbos using these words like the yorubas use them while I was in the East and kept wondering who the real originator of the words is.

Oya - as in 'oya' now
Shakara - as in your 'shakara' too much
Gragra - as in no do 'gragra' for me.
Egusi - as in 'egusi' soup
Sha - as in okay 'sha'.
Abi - as in 'Abi' now

Add any other word like this if you know.

I dunno for sha. The rest (save for egusi) are Yoruba (I'd imagine). Egusi is 100% Igbo and literally means melon in Igbo (written as egwusi natively). Yorubas like to attach meanings to every word they adopt but that doesn't make it any less Ibo.

And whether the word egusi was borrowed or not (which I highly doubt), the soup's 100% Igbo. How many other tribes in Nigeria have Akpurakpu Egusi and Achara.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 1:18pm On Nov 25, 2016
ObaKlaz:
Oya, Sha, [b]Egusi [/b]and abi are 100% YORUBA WORDS. I'm not sure about Shakara and Gragra.

So why does "melon" literally translate to "egwusi" in Igbo with no known Yoruba equivalent?

The fact that Igbos pronounce what's closer to the standardised/anglicized term (egwusi-egusi) and that Hausas pronounce "Gushi" and Yorubas "Elogusi" highly suggests that the Igbo form is the original.

7 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by YourNemesis: 2:16pm On Nov 25, 2016
Probz:

So why does "melon" literally translate to "egwusi" in Igbo with no known Yoruba equivalent?

The fact that Igbos pronounce what's closer to the standardised/anglicized term (egwusi-egusi) and that Hausas pronounce "Gushi" and Yorubas "Elogusi" highly suggests that the Igbo form is the original.

Which one is Elogusi?
Egusi is Yoruba.... sure and simple.

Just like Ibara is Water Melon
Egusi is Melon proper

The Igbos are the ones who added Gw to it, because of the structure of their lingo.
If Egusi had spread from Igbo land to the North then the Hausas would have also called it "Gwushi" and not Gushi.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by oboy3(m): 5:22pm On Nov 25, 2016
If I can remember we have discussed this Egusi issue a thousand and one times here on Nairaland,if I am to say,I will say its a shared soup just as we have okwute in Igbo and okuta in Igbo and the rest

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 5:59pm On Nov 25, 2016
YourNemesis:

Which one is Elogusi?

Egusi is Melon proper

The Igbos are the ones who added Gw to it, because of the structure of their lingo.
If Egusi had spread from Igbo land to the North then the Hausas would have also called it "Gwushi" and not Gushi.

Explain to me the etymology of the word "egusi" in the Yoruba language. We've already established that it means "melon" in Igbo. That's the literal translation.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by YourNemesis: 6:23pm On Nov 25, 2016
Probz:

Explain to me the etymology of the word "egusi" in the Yoruba language. We've already established that it means "melon" in Igbo. That's the literal translation.

What do you mean by asking me to explain what Egusi means?
Egusi simply means Melon in Yoruba. It is like asking me to explain what Ogede means in Yoruba if not Banana.
There is no eplanation behind it, that is the word.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by babyfaceafrica: 8:02pm On Nov 25, 2016
You just want to start anoda tribal war..kwontiue..nansense!!
Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 8:30pm On Nov 25, 2016
YourNemesis:

What do you mean by asking me to explain what Egusi means?
Egusi simply means Melon in Yoruba. It is like asking me to explain what Ogede means in Yoruba if not Banana.
There is no eplanation behind it, that is the word.

And I'm saying that melon also literally translates to "egwusi" (standardized and oyibonized to "egusi" ) in the Igbo language. One tribe can't claim ownership of the word when the exact same equivalent exists in the other, especially when we all know that said soup originated from the East.

The fact that there's so many ways of cooking egwusi in Igboland, both traditional (o/ukazi, ofe achara w/ mgbam) and conventional (caking/frying), compared to conventional egusi elsewhere in Nigeria, is further proof that it's by all accounts an Igbo soup and definitely not "100% Yoruba," like some have said. That's clearly not true.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Nobody: 9:04pm On Nov 25, 2016
So now igbos n yorubas dey drag who get egusi....buhari buhari c wat you hv caused sad

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by YourNemesis: 9:08pm On Nov 25, 2016
Probz:

And I'm saying that melon also literally translates to "egwusi" (standardized and oyibonized to "egusi" ) in the Igbo language. One tribe can't claim ownership of the word when the exact same equivalent exists in the other, especially when we all know that said soup originated from the East.

The fact that there's so many ways of cooking egwusi in Igboland, both traditional (o/ukazi, ofe achara w/ gbam) and conventional (caking/frying), compared to conventional egusi elsewhere in Nigeria, is further proof that it's by all accounts an Igbo soup and definitely not "100% Yoruba," like some have said. That's clearly not true.

Uhhn? Where is the proof to back that up?
It wasn't Oyibonised to Egusi... Yorubas call it Egusi. Igbos call it Egwushi ... The English simply know it as melon.
Everyone else calls it Egusi because it became more widespread and spread to other places from the west... otherwise, who else calls Egusi Egwushi ecept Igbos?
You are just talking based on your local knowledge of Igbo environment... everybody has different way's of cooking Egusi, but the stir fry just happens to be the most popular.

I bet in 20 years, we might be having this discussion about Shaki (tripe) and Kpomo, since everyone now consumes those ones as well.
What is the Igbo word for Eba?

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 9:30pm On Nov 25, 2016
YourNemesis:

Uhhn? Where is the proof to back that up?
It wasn't Oyibonised to Egusi... Yorubas call it Egusi. Igbos call it Egwushi ... The English simply know it as melon.
Everyone else calls it Egusi because it became more widespread and spread to other places from the west... otherwise, who else calls Egusi Egwushi ecept Igbos?
You are just talking based on your local knowledge of Igbo environment... everybody has different way's of cooking Egusi, but the stir fry just happens to be the most popular.

I bet in 20 years, we might be having this discussion about Shaki (tripe) and Kpomo, since everyone now consumes those ones as well.
What is the Igbo word for Eba?
Allow my ignorance but I was always under the impression that egusi soup is natively called “Ofe Egwusi,” “Efo Elogusi” in Yoruba, and “Miyan A/gushi” in Igbo, Yoruba, and Hausa languages, respectively.

Native Igbos don't say eba, they only know garri. We all know that. The "gw" consonant doesn't even exist in Yoruba language so it's no wonder the supposed Yoruba equivalent is "egusi." The addition of a single letter means nothing and it's obvious that it might be a shared word between Igbos and Yorubas. Not 100% Yoruba.

And it's generally accepted that the most popular soups in Nigeria originate from the East/Niger Delta area. The only well-known native Yoruba soups I can think of are ewudu, gbegiri and efo riro (+ amala). I'm sure Yorubas will next start claiming ogbono and ofe onugbu.

7 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Nnysher: 10:20pm On Nov 25, 2016
Egusi is 100% Igbo

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by YourNemesis: 10:31pm On Nov 25, 2016
Probz:

Allow my ignorance but I was always under the impression that egusi soup is natively called “Ofe Egwusi,” “Efo Elogusi” in Yoruba, and “Miyan A/gushi” in Igbo, Yoruba, and Hausa languages, respectively.

Native Igbos don't say eba, they only know garri. We all know that. The "gw" consonant doesn't even exist in Yoruba language so it's no wonder the supposed Yoruba equivalent is "egusi." The addition of a single letter means nothing and it's obvious that it might be a shared word between Igbos and Yorubas. Not 100% Yoruba.

And it's generally accepted that the most popular soups in Nigeria originate from the East/Niger Delta area. The only well-known native Yoruba soups I can think of are ewudu, gbegiri and efo riro (+ amala). I'm sure Yorubas will next start claiming ogbono and ofe onugbu.

Ogbono is Apon in Yoruba.
That Onugbu is Ewuro, if I am right about Onugbu meaning bitter leaf.
We still Have Efinrin, Orunla, Ayamashe, Different types of veggies (Rorowo, Efolo, Gbure, Tete) Etc.. so you see.
Most popular soups are eastern due to popular culture of course, especially the names. But know that Yorubas also have names for most of these things... especially if you go to the villages.
Most times when igbos are mentioning Oha, Onugbu etc before... I used to think they were different things found only in igboland, until I was told their English names, then I realized Yorubas also had them.
A word like "Okporoko", the igbo word for stock fish for example has become popular with other nigerians prolly due to nollywood and stuff, but in Yoruba it is Panla. Only Yorubas and close tribes might know what Kpanla/Panla is... but Okporoko will be more recognizable across nigeria at the moment.
Hope u get the drift.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by YourNemesis: 10:35pm On Nov 25, 2016
Nnysher:
Egusi is 100% Igbo

Why are you not calling it Egwushi?
Egwushi is the 100% Igbo one. Egusi is Yoruba.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by scholes0(m): 10:39pm On Nov 25, 2016
ObaKlaz:
Oya, Sha, Egusi and abi are 100% YORUBA WORDS. I'm not sure about Shakara and Gragra.

All the words in that list are yoruba without exception.
Shakara is from Shako. Shakara Oloje (A very tricky evasive girl who forms a lot).. Not even sure the proper word for Shako in English
And Gra Gra is from Gira Gira (Brashness)

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by ObaKlaz: 10:42pm On Nov 25, 2016
scholes0:

All the words in that list are yoruba without exception.
Skara is from Shako... and Gra Gra is from Gira Gira (Brashness)
Well, you can't blame me. I am an Edo man but born and bred a Yoruba man. I speak and write the Yoruba language fluently, but I still can't claim complete mastery of it anyway!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by scholes0(m): 10:46pm On Nov 25, 2016
ObaKlaz:
Well, you can't blame me. I am an Edo man but born and bred a Yoruba man. I speak and write the Yoruba language fluently, but I still can't claim complete mastery of it anyway!

wow.... how nice to know.
What part of Edo do you hail from?
I know many Edos like yourself who are just as proficient in Yoruba.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by ObaKlaz: 10:47pm On Nov 25, 2016
scholes0:

wow.... how nice to know.
What part of Edo do you hail from?
I know many Edos like yourself who are just as proficient in Yoruba.
Akoko Edo.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by scholes0(m): 10:59pm On Nov 25, 2016
ObaKlaz:
Akoko Edo.

I was also thinking Akoko Edo or Owan.
Nice one.
Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 11:39pm On Nov 25, 2016
YourNemesis:

Ogbono is Apon in Yoruba.
That Onugbu is Ewuro, if I am right about Onugbu meaning bitter leaf.
We still Have Efinrin, Orunla, Ayamashe, Different types of veggies (Rorowo, Efolo, Gbure, Tete) Etc.. so you see.
Most popular soups are eastern due to popular culture of course, especially the names. But know that Yorubas also have names for most of these things... especially if you go to the villages.
Most times when igbos are mentioning Oha, Onugbu etc before... I used to think they were different things found only in igboland, until I was told their English names, then I realized Yorubas also had them.
A word like "Okporoko", the igbo word for stock fish for example has become popular with other nigerians prolly due to nollywood and stuff, but in Yoruba it is Panla. Only Yorubas and close tribes might know what Kpanla/Panla is... but Okporoko will be more recognizable across nigeria at the moment.
Hope u get the drift.

I dey catch your drift. I can get my head round shared words in popular languages (oyibo in Igbo and oyinbo in Yoruba for example).
Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 11:41pm On Nov 25, 2016
YourNemesis:

Why are you not calling it Egwushi?
Egwushi is the 100% Igbo one. Egusi is Yoruba.

There's no "h," though. Is EGWUSI.

5 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by omohayek: 9:40am On Nov 26, 2016
It's strange to see people arguing on here about whether egusi is "originally" from Igbo or Yoruba without even considering that both languages might have inherited the term directly from their shared common ancestor. There are literally hundreds of such closely-related words shared between not just Yoruba and Igbo, but also with Igala and the Edoid languages.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by OlaoChi: 1:03pm On Nov 26, 2016
Probz:

I dunno for sha. The rest (save for egusi) are Yoruba (I'd imagine). Egusi is 100% Igbo and literally means melon in Igbo (written as egwusi natively). Yorubas like to attach meanings to every word they adopt but that doesn't make it any less Ibo.

And whether the word egusi was borrowed or not (which I highly doubt), the soup's 100% Igbo. How many other tribes in Nigeria have Akpurakpu Egusi and Achara.
I dont think there is any igbo word that was adopted by yorubas, it is usually the other way round

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by OlaoChi: 1:06pm On Nov 26, 2016
YourNemesis:

Which one is Elogusi?

Egusi is Melon proper

it was here on nairaland i learnt that it is also sometimes called 'egushi' in yoruba. hausas must have picked that up from yoruba

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Nobody: 5:27pm On Nov 26, 2016
Probz:

linguistically 'egwusi' was recent in Igbo. in Ekiti and other older central Yoruba dialects, it's 'egushin' simply meant to 'break and remove'. the white specie is called 'êdè' Igbo borrowed a lot of vocabularies from Igalas who share a lot with ancient people of present Yorubaland.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by omohayek: 6:03pm On Nov 26, 2016
alablec:

linguistically 'egwusi' was recent in Igbo. in Ekiti and other older central Yoruba dialects, it's 'egushin' simply meant to 'break and remove'. the white specie is called 'êdè' Igbo borrowed a lot of vocabularies from Igalas who share a lot with ancient people of present Yorubaland.

Where is your evidence of all this supposed borrowing, as opposed to mere shared inheritance of similar vocabulary from a common ancestor? I know how much Nigerians love to seize on things to flatter their own ethnicities, but it isn't as if melons were a recent discovery in West Africa.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 6:07pm On Nov 26, 2016
OlaoChi:
I dont think there is any igbo word that was adopted by yorubas, it is usually the other way round

Food names in Igbo are more popular in the west than the local ones (agidi-eko, ogbono-apon, okro-ila) and (as the likes of bigfrancis have confirmed on here time and time again) many Igbo words are used in pidgin English (oyibo, una, dey), and also nwantinti (Yorubanized to wantintin).

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lies About Oyo Empire / Traditional Wedding Made In Idoma-land, Benue State, Central Nigeria / Current Ibo (delta Ibo/anambra) Names For Baby Boys.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.