Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,006 members, 7,806,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:05 AM

Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. (20187 Views)

Why Oluwo Akanbi Divorced Chanel Chin: The Real Reason / Oduduwa Isn't The Father Of The 'Yorubas' / 5 Unwritten Cultural Rules Of The Yorubas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by aljharem(m): 12:01am On Jan 23, 2017
MozartianDreams:

You are correct Bigfrancis21

I'll just copy and edit my list.

Okay, let's set the records straight:

Igbo words in:

Vernacular:
1) Bolombolo - Balloon

2) Potopoto - Muddy water

3) Oyibo - White man/light-skinned person (Yoruba: 'Oyinbo')

4) Obodo oyibo - White man town/city
Gwongworo - Truck

5) Unu - (Una, 'vernacularized')

6) Love Nwantinti - Small/Short-lived love

7) Aka gum - stingy person

8 ) Ewu - goat (derogatory use)

9) Iyanga - 'forming' (Yoruba: 'shakara')

10) Ogbanje - Witch (Yoruba: 'Abiku')

11) Biko - Please

12) Maka why? - Because of what/why?

13) Di - Dey (Vernacularized)

14) Tey - Teela (Vernacularized)

15) Tolotolo - Turkey

Market/restaurant/Food enterprises
1) Abacha - African Salad

2) Acha - Northern Nigerian grain associated with famine

3) Agidi - Gelatinous corn starch meal (Yoruba: 'Eko')

4) Akamu - Pap

5) Aki - Palm kernel

6) Egwusi (anglicized as Egusi) - Melon seed, also native soup of the Igbos cooked with these seeds.

7) Isi Ewu - Goat head peppersoup

8 ) Nkwobi - Spicy cow foot

9) Nzu - White/native chalk

10) Ogbonno - Bush mango, also native soup cooked with this.

11) Ogiri - Fermented, washed and compressed locust bean.

12) Oha - African rosewood leaves, also native soup cooked with this.

13) Oka - Maize

14) Okazi- Wild Spinach

15) Okwuro/Okro - Okra (anglicized)

16) Okporoko - Stock fish

17) Onugbu - Bitter leaf, also native soup cooked with this.

18 ) Ube - Pear

19) Udara - ? (Yoruba: 'Agwalomo')

20) Ukwa - Breadfruit

21) Ugba - Oil bean seed, also salad dessert prepared with this.

22) Ugu - Fluted pumpkin

23) Utazi - Bush buck

24) Uziza - False cube leaves

These bolded are not Igbo words
Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by aljharem(m): 12:01am On Jan 23, 2017
Very soon, someone would say Akara too na Igbo grin
Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 12:01am On Jan 23, 2017
aljharem:
First of all Egusi is a yoruba word which mean break/grind it more. It was never Igbo

For crying out loud. Melons don't grow in Igbo land

Anyone that knows basic agriculture should know that melons grow in savanna. Igbos don't even have savanna not to even talk of having contact with melon seed.

Igbos also have one way of making egusi soup but yoruba have various ways because of first contact. at least I know of 3

I have proven this before 4 years back in a thread I cannot get right now

You're living on cloud nine if you think Igbos only have one way of making egusi. Ógbalóti na ofe okazi, na?

4 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 12:05am On Jan 23, 2017
I think tolotolo and akara are shared words in Igbo and Yoruba. Jamaicans use potopoto in their creole and it's said to derive from the Igbo language - "opoto-opoto", mkpọtọ-mkpọtọ, "mud", "muddy." In Ghana languages (Akan) na potopoto self. Where does Yoruba now come into it?

5 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by aljharem(m): 12:08am On Jan 23, 2017
Bolombolo is a corrupted word of Balloon. It is not original and can never be claimed

Potopoto is pure yoruba

Tolotolo is yoruba. Turkeys were never found in the east

Ube is pure yoruba as well.

More yoruba words

Akara
Omo which the Igbos call Umu................ child in igbo actually mean Nwa
Oba
Nomo (Dry strong meat)
Okunrin (Man) Which as also been corrupted to Okoro thanks to the Benins passing this on..... Nwoke is man in Igbo

Keke which mean bicycle

Among others

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 12:15am On Jan 23, 2017
lawani:

Some Anambra, Delta and Enugu communities border with Yoruboid areas. Igala, Olukunmi, Itsekiri are all Yoruboid groups and you find more Yoruboid words, mannerism, culture in the adjacent Igbo areas.

Igbos have copied and adopted many Yoruba words (abi, ashewo, oya, shebi/shey, shakara) but they're only a thing in pidgin English. As for Yoruba words transferred directly to the native Igbo language, this is the first I'm hearing of it. And as for mannerisms, wetin?

Oyibo is definitely more of a thing with Igbos along the River Niger (Imolites and Abians, their own is bekee) and I accept that one tribe (Igbo or Yoruba) could've copied from the other. I've seen more evidence on here suggesting that the Igbo oyibo is older but I won't lie that it does tend to be Igbos closer to Yoruboid/Edoid/other westerly groups who use 'oyibo' for anything to do with the white man more often than hinterland Igbos. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a shared word between Igbos and Yorubas through the Edo ebo (I know that's how Binis natively call whites, a little different from the oyibo/oyinbo used elsewhere in southern Nigeria), with Yorubas adding the oyin + bo explanation to derive oyinbo and Igbos adding their own inventions to create oyibo. Oyibo still seems older.

4 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by aljharem(m): 12:16am On Jan 23, 2017
Probz:
I think tolotolo and akara are shared words in Igbo and Yoruba. Jamaicans use potopoto in their creole and it's said to derive from the Igbo language - "opoto-opoto", mkpọtọ-mkpọtọ, "mud", "muddy." In Ghana languages (Akan) na potopoto self. Where does Yoruba now come into it?

No they are not shared ! They were borrowed. Also Bean for Akara does not grow in the south but North and Yorubas have traded with Northern ethnic groups (Not particularly fulani or hausa) for hunbreds of years

Creole are yorubas (You are research). 60% of their broken English is influenced by Yoruba language. Again do your research well

Ghanaian Language is heavily influenced by yoruba language. In fact a war between the two occured

The word Ghana is from the Ga tribe of Accra who originated from Yorubas

From Akuabo (Welcome) in yoruba. Ga call it Akuaba

To Alubosa (Onions) in yoruba among other

I am just too busy to start bring out books but I will try

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 12:16am On Jan 23, 2017
aljharem:
Bolombolo is a corrupted word of Balloon. It is not original and can never be claimed

Potopoto is pure yoruba

More yoruba words

Akara
Oba
Nomo (Dry strong meat)
Okunrin (Man) Which as also been corrupted to Okoro thanks to the Benins passing this on..... Nwoke is man in Igbo

Keke which mean bicycle

Among others

You wan give Yoruba etymology for potopoto?

4 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by aljharem(m): 12:18am On Jan 23, 2017
Probz:

Oyibo does seem to be more of a thing with the western and northern Igbo (Imolites and Abians use bekee instead) but I'm really struggling to think of any Yoruboid words and mannerisms in any part of Igboland. This is the first I'm hearing of it.

A common word like Okoro in Igbo which mean man is gotten from the delta igbo/Urhobo axis which was gotten from Ilaje/itsekiri/Owo axis (They still use okoro) which was gotten from Okunrin in Oyo dialect which is yoruba. Igbo word for man is Nwoke

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by aljharem(m): 12:20am On Jan 23, 2017

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by aljharem(m): 12:25am On Jan 23, 2017

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 12:26am On Jan 23, 2017
aljharem:

This book will educate you better

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=B7Nko5XBOegC&pg=PA121&lpg=PA121&dq=potopoto+yoruba&source=bl&ots=0BHdimxGX5&sig=PxLxOwYLU5UyvQWDzIVo-MIMmCU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwlsji8dbRAhWIJMAKHankAAIQ6AEIKDAD#v=onepage&q=potopoto%20yoruba&f=false

Yeah, I'm not being funny but anyone can ascribe an etymology to a word and pass it off as fact.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=69xvDQAAQBAJ&pg=PA124&dq=igbo+potopoto&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=igbo%20potopoto&f=false

Both saying exactly the same thing. Most online sources point more toward an Igbo than Yoruba origin. That one you dey show me now is literally the first time I've ever seen a Yoruba laying claim to that term. Tolotolo is definitely shared.

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 12:28am On Jan 23, 2017
aljharem:
Ewu in Igbo is a corrupt form of Ewure which mean goat

Read more here

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=mWZoQQZbgEQC&pg=PA3&dq=creole+yoruba&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj97NjF8tbRAhVnIsAKHXIfA4oQ6AEILjAA#v=onepage&q=creole%20yoruba&f=false

Nawaoh. You wan discredit everything Igbo abi? Are you trying to say that there's not a single Igbo word that might have been adapted in mainstream Nigerian Pidgin or used by Yoruba people?

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by aljharem(m): 12:56am On Jan 23, 2017
Probz:

Nawaoh. You wan discredit everything Igbo abi? Are you trying to say that there's not a single Igbo word that might have been adapted in mainstream Nigerian Pidgin or used by Yoruba people?

No not at all. We have igbo words that yorubas adopted as well. Like ugu, nna etc

We borrowed from fulanis as well

Even fulanis borrowed from Arabs etc. Just life

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 12:57am On Jan 23, 2017
aljharem:

No not at all. We have igbo words that yorubas adopted as well. Like ugu, nna etc

We borrowed from fulanis as well

Even fulanis borrowed from Arabs etc. Just life

I've never even heard an omo Yoruba addressing a bro as 'nna.' You sure you don't mean na? As in, na be by force.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by bigfrancis21: 2:53am On Jan 23, 2017
aljharem:

These bolded are not Igbo words

Ube not Igbo? grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by bigfrancis21: 2:56am On Jan 23, 2017
aljharem:

Potopoto is pure yoruba

More yoruba words

Akara
Oba
Nomo (Dry strong meat)

Keke which mean bicycle

Among others

You can't prove that these words - Ube and okoro are originally Yoruba. Being born into a generation when the words are in wide usage does not mean it originated from the west. Try harder.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by bigfrancis21: 2:58am On Jan 23, 2017
Probz:

If not for the absence of 'z' in the Yoruba alphabet, maybe he would claim utazi and uziza are not Igbo words too but Yoruba words simply because they have been borrowed and spread among his generation to make him believe they are Yoruba. Forgetting totally that words passed around generations before he was born.

5 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by bigfrancis21: 3:05am On Jan 23, 2017
aljharem:
Ewu in Igbo is a corrupt form of Ewure which mean goat

Read more here

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=mWZoQQZbgEQC&pg=PA3&dq=creole+yoruba&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj97NjF8tbRAhVnIsAKHXIfA4oQ6AEILjAA#v=onepage&q=creole%20yoruba&f=false

Studying the etymology of Igbo and Yorubaa languages, Igbo language is definitely older than Yoruba. The easier a language is to learn, the more likely to be recent it is - child language vs parent languages. Older/parent languages are often complex in structure and lingo. Eg: original Latin vs Spanish. Old english vs modern english. Igbo vs Yoruba. Looking at the alphabet system of both languages, Igbo has 36 letters in its alphabet, Yoruba has only 25. Igala (related to Yoruba) has 28, indicating a possible migratory movement from east to west with east being the earliest point of settlement in southern Nigeria before dispersion further west.

Ewu is an ancient Igbo word evident in its usage in Igbo proverbs, Ewure is Yoruba. It's needless claiming any borrowing when both languages share certain similar words together.

5 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by bigfrancis21: 3:26am On Jan 23, 2017
aljharem:

No they are not shared ! They were borrowed. Also Bean for Akara does not grow in the south but North and Yorubas have traded with Northern ethnic groups (Not particularly fulani or hausa) for hunbreds of years

Creole are yorubas (You are research). 60% of their broken English is influenced by Yoruba language. Again do your research well

Ghanaian Language is heavily influenced by yoruba language. In fact a war between the two occured

Creoles in Jamaica are not Yoruba. The only Creoles of significant Yoruba ancestry are the krio people in Sierra Leone. Jamaicans are mainly descendants of Akan and Igbo people's (Bight of Biafra and the Gold coast). Thus, the likely origin for potopoto in Jamaican creole is Akan, which the author mentioned an Akan origin, and not Yoruba, given that a very tiny number of nago slaves made it to Jamaica. To add also, mud in Igbo is sometimes called 'apiti'.

To the contrary, the population of Yoruba slaves exported to the new world is estimated to be less than 500,000. View the statistics here: https://www.nairaland.com/3580290/comparing-slave-numbers-bight-benin

60% of influence is ridiculous. In terms of linguistics, there are very little or no Yoruba words in Jamaican English creole (later imported into Nigeria as Pidgin). So where does your 60% comes from? Or you just make claims without even thinking twice? Yoruba religion is the major extent of Yoruba influence in the Americas and it is quite popular, being the last of tribes to arrive the new world in substantial numbers to leave cultural bits behind, but I must admit that many academic sources often accredit many things to the Yoruba than necessary. For example, Jamaica known to have mostly Gold Coast and bight of biafra slaves looking to Yoruba language for origin of some of its words.

4 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 3:43am On Jan 23, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Creoles in Jamaica are not Yoruba. The only Creoles of significant Yoruba ancestry are the krio people in Sierra Leone. Jamaicans are mainly descendants of Akan and Igbo people's (Bight of Biafra and the Gold coast). Thus, the likely origin for potopoto in Jamaican creole is Akan and not Yoruba, given that a very tiny number of nago slaves made it to Jamaica.

To the contrary, the population of Yoruba slaves exported to the new world is estimated to be less than 500,000. View the statistics here: https://www.nairaland.com/3580290/comparing-slave-numbers-bight-benin

60% of influence is ridiculous. In terms of linguistics, there are very little or no Yoruba words in Jamaican English creole (later imported into Nigeria as Pidgin). So where does your 60% comes from? Or you just make claims without even thinking twice? Yoruba religion is the major extent of Yoruba influence in the Americas and it is quite popular, being the last of tribes to arrive the new world in substantial numbers to leave cultural bits behind, but I must admit that many academic sources often accredit many things to the Yoruba than necessary. For example, Jamaica known to have mostly Gold Coast and bight of biafra slaves looking to Yoruba language for origin of some of its words.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jamaican_Patois_words_of_African_origin#Igbo_language

Potopoto's been credited to both the Igbos and Akans on this page. Even akara sef, along with Ewe na Yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by iamord(m): 5:10am On Jan 23, 2017
aljharem:

this is not true! the word ghana means “warrior king” which is a word derived from Ouagadougou i dont know where u get your facts from, but they are definitely not correct.

6 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by lawani: 5:16am On Jan 23, 2017
Bolombolo is corruption of blowblow. That is an English word. Watery mud is potopoto in Yoruba as well, might be same in Igbo. Another word for mud not watery is Ere. Then Umu is popular in Igbo, sometimes attached to place names like Umuahia which I presume means market children or what Yorubas in Ilesa call Omo aleja, children of the market used sometimes to mean miscreants. Umu I believe, was gotten from an ancestor group to both groups.

There is a book on the topic how Yoruba and Igbo became different languages by an OAU Prof. In that book you will see many more examples and you will just continue arguing who borrowed from whom!. On Nwoke, it is a contraption of Nwa oke, it is oke that means male which is like ako in Yoruba also meaning male. Female in Yoruba is abo but Igbos use anyi, when talking of humans, the words okunrin and obinrin are used by Yorubas instead of ako and abo. For Igbos it is Nwaoke and Nwaanyi.

It is not arguable that Igala and Yoruba separated a while back, maybe 2000 years ago probably less but Igalas use the Igbo 4 week days or something similar while Yorubas have their own days named after orisas and it is said that it was Orunmila that fixed the names. Given that Orunmila lived before Igalas separated from Yoruba, why do Igalas use the Igbo system? Though Yoruba dont take their system seriously like Igbos really and no actual names for the days than their being named after Orisas and being sabbaths for different orisas.

There are other people in the Americas like Angolans, Congolese especially Angolans.

4 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by bigfrancis21: 6:15am On Jan 23, 2017
iamord:

this is not true! the word ghana means “warrior king” which is a word derived from Ouagadougou i dont know where u get your facts from, but they are definitely not correct.

That is what you get when academic sources give more attention than necessary to you. Then you begin to think everything must come from you.

4 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by bigfrancis21: 6:17am On Jan 23, 2017
lawani:
Bolombolo is corruption of blowblow. That is an English word. Watery mud is potopoto in Yoruba as well, might be same in Igbo. Another word for mud not watery is Ere. Then Umu is popular in Igbo, sometimes attached to place names like Umuahia which I presume means market children or what Yorubas in Ilesa call Omo aleja, children of the market used sometimes to mean miscreants. Umu I believe, was gotten from an ancestor group to both groups.

There is a book on the topic how Yoruba and Igbo became different languages by an OAU Prof. In that book you will see many more examples and you will just continue arguing who borrowed from whom!. On Nwoke, it is a contraption of Nwa oke, it is oke that means male which is like ako in Yoruba also meaning male. Female in Yoruba is abo but Igbos use anyi, when talking of humans, the words okunrin and obinrin are used by Yorubas instead of ako and abo. For Igbos it is Nwaoke and Nwaanyi.

It is not arguable that Igala and Yoruba separated a while back, maybe 2000 years ago probably less but Igalas use the Igbo 4 week days or something similar while Yorubas have their own days named after orisas and it is said that it was Orunmila that fixed the names. Given that Orunmila lived before Igalas separated from Yoruba, why do Igalas use the Igbo system? Though Yoruba dont take their system seriously like Igbos really and no actual names for the days than their being named after Orisas and being sabbaths for different orisas.

There are other people in the Americas like Angolans, Congolese especially Angolans.

This, I would say, is your first objective post on nairaland.

Umu means 'children' or descendants in Igbo. It could also be used to indicate plural for human nouns. Like nwanyi (singular - woman) vs umunwanyi (plural - women). It is the adopted standard Igbo word for children or descendants. Other variants used are 'omu' especially in the Rivers Igbo axis (among the Ikwerres), Nmu (among the Ikas), Rumu (among the Ikwerres too) etc.

As to your question about Igala-Igbo-Yoruba relationship, possible East to West migration, Igbo - Igala - Yoruba yeaa??

4 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by lawani: 7:26am On Jan 23, 2017
bigfrancis21:

This, I would say, is your first objective post on nairaland.

Umu means 'children' or descendants in Igbo. It could also be used to indicate plural for human nouns. Like nwanyi (singular - woman) vs umunwanyi (plural - women). It is the adopted standard Igbo word for children or descendants. Other variants used are 'omu' especially in the Rivers Igbo axis (among the Ikwerres), Nmu (among the Ikas), Rumu (among the Ikwerres too) etc.

As to your question about Igala-Igbo-Yoruba relationship, possible East to West migration, Igbo - Igala - Yoruba yeaa??

NRI IGBOS ARE TOO BACKWARD YO BE YORUBA ANCESTORS. THAT IS THE PROBLEM. YORUBA ANCESTORS WERE ADVANCED HUMANS FROM A CIVILIZATION FAR MORE ADVANCED THAN THE PRESENT ONE ON EARTH. YORUBAS ARE NOW BELOW THE LEVEL OF ADVANCEMENT OF THEIR EARLIEST ANCESTORS BUT THERE WAS NEVER A TIME THEY WERE AT THE LEVEL OF ADVANCEMENT OF NRI IGBOS. THAT IS WHY I DONT SUPPORT YOUR IGBO-IGALA-YORUBA MIGRATION HYPOTHESIS,

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by bigfrancis21: 8:41am On Jan 23, 2017
lawani:

NRI IGBOS ARE TOO BACKWARD YO BE YORUBA ANCESTORS. THAT IS THE PROBLEM. YORUBA ANCESTORS WERE ADVANCED HUMANS FROM A CIVILIZATION FAR MORE ADVANCED THAN THE PRESENT ONE ON EARTH. YORUBAS ARE NOW BELOW THE LEVEL OF ADVANCEMENT OF THEIR EARLIEST ANCESTORS BUT THERE WAS NEVER A TIME THEY WERE AT THE LEVEL OF ADVANCEMENT OF NRI IGBOS. THAT IS WHY I DONT SUPPORT YOUR IGBO-IGALA-YORUBA MIGRATION HYPOTHESIS,

For starters, civilization is not a mark of first settlement. Second, going by your reasoning, Nri civilization is older than Ife or Oyo. So what makes you think otherwise?

4 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by lawani: 7:09pm On Jan 23, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Studying the etymology of Igbo and Yorubaa languages, Igbo language is definitely older than Yoruba. The easier a language is to learn, the more likely to be recent it is - child language vs parent languages. Older/parent languages are often complex in structure and lingo. Eg: original Latin vs Spanish. Old english vs modern english. Igbo vs Yoruba. Looking at the alphabet system of both languages, Igbo has 36 letters in its alphabet, Yoruba has only 25. Igala (related to Yoruba) has 28, indicating a possible migratory movement from east to west with east being the earliest point of settlement in southern Nigeria before dispersion further west.

Ewu is an ancient Igbo word evident in its usage in Igbo proverbs, Ewure is Yoruba. It's needless claiming any borrowing when both languages share certain similar words together.

Let me teach you something about languages. The more tonal a language, the more in its original form it is. Then number of alphabets does not matter. Pidgin English like Sierra Leonean Creole have more alphabets than Yoruba but not older than Yoruba. If a language has been considerably disturbed, it will lose tone. So, personally, I believe level of tonality is a good measure of the long standing of a language. I will give you some examples of Yoruba tonality, you give me Igbo. Remember tonality is nothing less than tonic sulpha in music. So it really is a measure of long standing of language.

Aja (re mi) is dog
Aja (do mi) a town
Aja (re do) We fought
Aja (re mi) again but depending on context is 'we fled'.
Aja (re re) We off loaded it
Aja (re re) Depending on context is 'We tore it'.
Aja (mi mi) he will flee
Aja (mi do) He will fight
There are still more
Baba (do mi) Father
Baba (do do) copper or so

Ade (re mi) crown
Ade (re mi) depending on context is 'We have come'.
Ade (re fi) we bound him
Ade (re re) We covered it.
Ade (mi mi) He will come
Ade (mi re) He will cover it
There are still more.

The tones are just 5 but they go over a wide scale and that is why Yoruba can be spoken with a drum easily.

If I say something to a fellow Yoruba, they may not understand unless we were talking before which may allow them to use idea or sense to understand. Which language do you know like that?.

Let me put this sentence out with intonation if anybody can interprete, so you see what I am saying

WaWaWa (MI DO MI)
ASK YOUR YORUBA FRIENDS TO TRANSLATE IF THEY CAN.

From the analysis above, Igbo is more of a pidgeon language than Yoruba.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by RedboneSmith(m): 8:18pm On Jan 23, 2017
Bros, how did you come by this theory that tonality in a language is a mark of antiquity?

And even assuming that was the case, who told you Igbo is not equally a tonal language? Have you studied the Igbo language? Have you seen this thread where some knowledgeable Igbos used the tonality of the Igbo language to play a game?

https://www.nairaland.com/1398827/igbo-homophone-game

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by lawani: 12:28am On Jan 24, 2017
RedboneSmith:
Bros, how did you come by this theory that tonality in a language is a mark of antiquity?

And even assuming that was the case, who told you Igbo is not equally a tonal language? Have you studied the Igbo language? Have you seen this thread where some knowledgeable Igbos used the tonality of the Igbo language to play a game?

https://www.nairaland.com/1398827/igbo-homophone-game

IT SURELY IS A MEASURE OF TRANQUILITY OR HOW MUCH LEFT ALONE IT WAS. GREEK FOR INSTANCE USED TO BE TONAL AND WRITTEN WITH DIACRITICAL ,ARKS BUT NOW IT IS NON TONAL.

HOWEVER, AFTER ALL THAT HAS BEEN SAID, IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS OF MUTUAL INTELLIGIBILTY BETWEEN DIALECTS OF SAME LANGUAGE AS WE SPEAK, THEN HOW MUCH MORE BETWEEN AN OLD LANGUAGE AND ITS NEW FORM? THERE IS NOTHING LIKE IGBO OF TEN THOUSAND YEARS AGO, NO IGBO THAT TIME, ONLY PEOPLE SOME OF WHOSE DESCENDANTS BECAME IGBOS AND ETC.

PTAHHOTEP SAID SOMETHING OVER 5000 YEARS AGO IN KEMITIC EGYPTIAN AND IT WAS RENDERED BY EUROPEANS INTO MODERN CHARACTERS HE SAID 'WHERE WE LOVED BECAME AN EVIL PLACE'. IT WAS REWRITTEN AS 'IBN NFR DU BW BN'. JUST AN EFFORT BY THE EUROPEAN BUT YOU CAN SEE THAT THE LANGUAGE IS MODERN YORUBA! IF YOU UNDERSTAND YORUBA. THE WAY WE WRITE NOW, IT IS 'IBI A FE DI IBI BI' WHICH IS SAME THING AS WHAT THE EUROPEAN WROTE IF SPOKEN.
HOWEVER MODERN YORUBA CAN NOT BE SAID TO BE KEMITIC EGYPTIAN, IT IS NOW A NEW LANGUAGE WHICH IS KEMITIC EGYPTIAN FUSED WITH AKOKO, NUPE, HAUSA, FON AND ETC. THE AKOKO COMPONENT WAS PROBABLY GOTTEN FROM A LANGUAGE SPOKEN IN NIGERIA OVER 5000 YEARS AGO AND THAT LANGUAGE IS ALSO AN ANCESTOR OF THE IGBOID AND EDOID GROUPS BUT NOWADAYS THEY ARE GROUPED AS YEAI MEANING YORUBA EDO AKOKO IGBO. A LANGUAGE FAMILY. THERE IS A NUPOID GROUP WITH EBIRA, NUPE, GWARI AND MANY OTHERS. THERE IS INTER AND INTRA FAMILY BORROWING. SOME FEATURES OF YORUBA ARE FOUND IN NUPE FOR INSTANCE LIKE THE COMMON GREETING E KU. IT DOES NOT OCCUR IN IGALA. IGALAS SAY NI AGO INSTEAD OF EKU AND I BELIEVE YORUBA USED THAT IN THE PAST. INFACT YORUBA STILL USE IT BUT NOT AS MUCH AS IGALAS. YORUBAS SAY AGO ONILE TO SALUTE PEOPLE AT HOME. THAT IS A REMNANT OF PROTO YORUBA IGALA LANGUAGE. IN THE PAST, NO EKU IN YORUBA. I BELIEVE IT IS NUPE IN ORIGIN. NI AGO WAS THE GREETING JUST LIKE IN IGALA TODAY IS WHAT I BELIEVE FOR NOW. BUT THE AGBA RESPONSE IN IGALA DOES NOT OCCUR IN YORUBA. CLOSEST IS WHEN YOU SEND GREETINGS AND THE COURIER SAYS WON A GBO IN YORUBO BUT THAT IS NOT THESAME AS THE IGALA AGBA RESPONSE.

LANGUAGE AND CULTURE STUDY IS INTERESTING BUT GO BACK 5000 YEARS ONLY AND YOU WILL BE SURPRISED AT THE REALITIES BACK THEN!.

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by Probz(m): 12:36am On Jan 24, 2017
lawani:

You made some sense in your submission but you failed when you said Bishop Crowther must have introduced 'oyibo' to Yorubas!. That isnt an academic statement as Oyibo is our only word for white man, though we differentiate Europeans according to origin as well Oyibo Geesi is British, Oyibo Potogi is Portuguese, oyibo Faranse is French, Oyibo Amaro is Spanish and I believe Aguda is German. They were the ones who based in Togo that was Oyo territory and the church their missionaries dominate is called Ijo Aguda or Catholic church. I think Aguda is German. Then we have are saying Aguda o je labe Geesi which I think means 'Germans are independent of Britain'. So Oyibo was in use before Bishop Crowther's great great great great grandpa was born. Oyibo means oyi' Breeze and Bo peel. Make of it what you will. I believe it is a shared word though but etymology is Yoruba and it is Igbos near the Yoruboid areas that use it.

On Egusi. A former employee of mine from Ile Ife told me of a couple dedicated by Ife people to a deity. They dont buy food, they take whatever they want in the market. They are dedicated to a certain deity. The name of the wife is Segusipepe, I have forgotten the husband's name. Segusipepe means Break the melon briskly or so. Se egusi pepe. That is a name given to someone traditionally in Ile Ife. So how can egusi be borrowed from Igbo who were known to Yorubas only in the 20th century? Egusi also appears to be a shared word. But I would like to know the meaning of 'osinkin' in English if it also means melon.

Wantintin is a variation of the Yoruba bintin which is in the saying Ayo abarabintin. Its thesame origin. There are hundreds of shared words between Yoruba and Igbo that was in use by an ancestor nation to both.

Re. this oyibo matter, I thought what una use is oyinbo/eyinbo while oyibo is the Igbo form of the same word.

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Real Originator Of These Popular Words -igbos Or The Yorubas. by lawani: 3:02am On Jan 24, 2017
Probz:

Re. this oyibo matter, I thought what una use is oyinbo/eyinbo while oyibo is the Igbo form of the same word.

Oyibo, Oyinbo, Eebo, Oibo are thesame word rendered differently.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lies About Oyo Empire / Traditional Wedding Made In Idoma-land, Benue State, Central Nigeria / Current Ibo (delta Ibo/anambra) Names For Baby Boys.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.