Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,233 members, 7,807,771 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:54 PM

Mr Governor: Stopping Local Government Task Force From Touting On Motorists - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Mr Governor: Stopping Local Government Task Force From Touting On Motorists (455 Views)

Mr Governor, Reduce Tuition Fees If You Want Our Support - Ondo State Students / Nigerian Air Force Officer Killed In Ghastly Car Accident. Graphic Pics / Practice Nigerian Air Force (NAF) DSSC Past Questions And Answers (updated) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Mr Governor: Stopping Local Government Task Force From Touting On Motorists by Tdada: 11:27am On Nov 25, 2016
Hello,

I just started the petition "Lagos state governor: Stopping Local government task force from touting on and exploiting Lagos motorists" and wanted to see if you could help by adding your name.

My goal is to reach 100,000 signatures and I need more support. You can read more and sign the petition here:

https://www.change.org/p/lagos-state-governor-stopping-local-government-task-force-from-touting-on-and-exploiting-lagos-motorists?recruiter=368035704&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=share_email_responsive

Thanks!
Tolu-tope

Please read my experience below

On Tuesday, 25th October 2016 at about 2pm, I was driving on town planning way - a single carriage road. I made a turn by using one of the buildings on the road then faced my previous direction.

Some three men jumped out of nowhere. Stood in front of the car. They were wearing reflective jackets, not branded, not law enforcement so I thought they were robbers. They asked me to park then one of them flashed an ID card introducing themselves as local government task force claiming I made an illegal U turn. All my explanation that I actually entered a building and came out fell on deaf ears. No signage whatsoever. They then threatened to tow my vehicle. One of them forced his way into the passenger seat asked me to drive off the road for us to talk.

All these were strange and like a dream. We entered the local government office Odi-olowo Ojuwoye Local government where more roughlooking men pounced on me, deflated my tires and issued a ticket of N15,500. Yes! Fifteen thousand, five hundred naira. I asked to see what offence I've committed and let me see their offence list. Someone who looked like the team lead threatened to increase the fine to N30,000 and he'll make sure my car is impounded even after paying the fine and I'll pay N2000 daily demorage fee.

Seeing the situation as it was, i was worried of my safety, therefore i pleaded with them. After much plea, the fine was reduced to N10,500. I was taken to a room within the local government office to pay CASH ONLY.

Even if I had broken a traffic law (which I didn't), is it in the place of the local government officials to issue whatever amount of fine they deemed fit? They've been doing this for a long time and it seems like a norm to them. Someone needs to speak out.
I was there for some hours and not less than 20 vehicles were brought in for several non-existent offences. Those who had cash with them at that moment didn't have their tyres deflated.

After paying my fine, the vulcanizer within the premises charges N1000 to pump one tyre. Yes! You read correctly. One thousand naira per tyre. That's 10 times the cost.

Please join me in signing this petition that will prevent local government staff in lagos state to stop robbing Lagos motorists.
Thank you

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (Reply)

Npower...ondo State Indigenes Lets Chat Here / Buhari Postpones Daughter, Zahra’s Wedding Indefinitely / Peter Okoye And His Kids Decorate Their Living Room For Christmas (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.