Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,174 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:04 AM

My Camry Consumes Fuel - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Camry Consumes Fuel (9365 Views)

My Liberty Jeep Consumes Fuel / Hello Car Gurus, My Ford Escape V6 Consumes Fuel Like Madt / 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Camry Consumes Fuel by Afolabisemiu: 3:35pm On Nov 25, 2016
Good afternoon, please can anybody assist me here. I have a ToyotaCamry 1999. I observed since over five months i have bought it that it consumes a lot of fuel. Inititally I was comparing the fuel consuming rate to the informatiion I haeard about camry on its fuel economy. However I was able to substantiate that it consumes more fuel when me and my brother travel to Ibadan. We both allow our gas to reach red at fuel guage and we make sure the guage is at the same place. We bought exactly N3000 fuel in each car. Alas! when we reached Ibadan from Lagos My own fuel guage is already giving me red while that of my brother remain about 2/3 of what we bought bough. I have changed the plug and the airflow meter is good. The car is not smoking and it doesnt give any sound that signifies the exhaust is faulty. But at time When I warm it in the morning I percieved a mild foul smell from the exhaust but with no black smoke. In fact it drops water and this cold engine white smoke. I also feel tht whenever I fire is when the fuel goes down and few times when i accelerate the level of fire is more than the real movement of thje car
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by vani86: 4:28pm On Nov 25, 2016
When was the last time you changed your air filter?
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by captainking(m): 7:06pm On Nov 25, 2016
I need help for mine too oo
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:27pm On Nov 25, 2016
Afolabisemiu:
Good afternoon, please can anybody assist me here. I have a ToyotaCamry 1999. I observed since over five months i have bought it that it consumes a lot of fuel. Inititally I was comparing the fuel consuming rate to the informatiion I haeard about camry on its fuel economy. However I was able to substantiate that it consumes more fuel when me and my brother travel to Ibadan. We both allow our gas to reach red at fuel guage and we make sure the guage is at the same place. We bought exactly N3000 fuel in each car. Alas! when we reached Ibadan from Lagos My own fuel guage is already giving me red while that of my brother remain about 2/3 of what we bought bough. I have changed the plug and the airflow meter is good. The car is not smoking and it doesnt give any sound that signifies the exhaust is faulty. But at time When I warm it in the morning I percieved a mild foul smell from the exhaust but with no black smoke. In fact it drops water and this cold engine white smoke. I also feel tht whenever I fire is when the fuel goes down and few times when i accelerate the level of fire is more than the real movement of thje car

your fans come on immediately you start the car?

3 Likes

Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by honmusa(m): 8:17pm On Nov 25, 2016
Afolabisemiu:
Your car is running on perpetual open loop condition to have such a poor fuel mileage.
And the condition that can triggers this are
1.if the engine fail to attain the optimum temperature (95 c for toyota ) due to inherent fault or Kazeem action .
2.Faulty upstream o2 sensor that is stuck lean .
3.Intake leak and exhaust leak
4.Stuck open injectors and stuck close fuel regulator.
Etc etc
If you are in Lagos and u require a expert to resolve this for u with 100% accuracy .call autologic @08061166316
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by ZIMDRILL(m): 4:35am On Nov 26, 2016
Afolabisemiu:

You left lots of important information

Eg engine size of the cars you compared, then load i.e if you had passengers , also average travelling speed all affects fuel consumption, then lastly driving patterns and condition of the car things like service

4 Likes

Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by Afolabisemiu: 6:56am On Nov 26, 2016
@ZIMDRILL, thanks a lot for your concern. the two cars a same, they are both Camry tinylight. with same engine apacity. with same tyre sizes. we didn't even take any passenger. its not about engine capacity and load. its just about my own car is extremely comsuming fuel. I believe even if I load my own car with people that doesn't meqn the rate of consumption should be that wide when compare with my brother's car.
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by diportivo: 11:53am On Nov 26, 2016
Afolabisemiu:

Wa sere

Awon eyan lewis Hamilton grin

Ofcos if u fire,na petrol u dey burn na

5 Likes

Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by mygee33(m): 8:11am On Nov 27, 2016
Afolabisemiu:
@ZIMDRILL, thanks a lot for your concern. the two cars a same, they are both Camry tinylight. with same engine apacity. with same tyre sizes. we didn't even take any passenger. its not about engine capacity and load. its just about my own car is extremely comsuming fuel. I believe even if I load my own car with people that doesn't meqn the rate of consumption should be that wide when compare with my brother's car.
You were asked a very vital question about ur fan but u choose to ignore!!!
Which will lead to de 2nd article up. U might be in ur own soon
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:24am On Nov 27, 2016
diportivo:

Wa sere

Awon eyan lewis Hamilton grin

Ofcos if u fire,na petrol u dey burn na

cheesy grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by Afolabisemiu: 9:15pm On Nov 27, 2016
deportivo I'm sorry about that. as for the fan, both fans are directly connected. they start working immediately I start the. engine. Honestly I kn9w about the issue of direct fans and it implication on fuel supply. but I still chose to partially disregard it. this is because initially I wholeheartedly believed this theory. but because I jave a very close person that uses camry like mine, he uses his car with the two fans directly connected and he never experience this high fuel consumption, thouhh I can't say whether his car is working at optimum. one thing I forgot to add to my postnwas that I usually perceived fuel odour while driving I never see any drop of fuel on. from the car but I do experience it especially when I fire and when I park the car in hot weather

1 Like

Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by Gbengageorge: 11:54am On Dec 01, 2016
Afolabisemiu:
deportivo I'm sorry about that. as for the fan, both fans are directly connected. they start working immediately I start the. engine. Honestly I kn9w about the issue of direct fans and it implication on fuel supply. but I still chose to partially disregard it. this is because initially I wholeheartedly believed this theory. but because I jave a very close person that uses camry like mine, he uses his car with the two fans directly connected and he never experience this high fuel consumption, thouhh I can't say whether his car is working at optimum. one thing I forgot to add to my postnwas that I usually perceived fuel odour while driving I never see any drop of fuel on. from the car but I do experience it especially when I fire and when I park the car in hot weather

Bros check your catalyst, it must have been stolen.That's the no. 1 reason for abnormal fuel consumption. Check it out and thank me later.

2 Likes

Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by Afolabisemiu: 5:13pm On Dec 01, 2016
@gbengageorge pls where is the catalyst located, I was told they are two. how do I detect if it has been removed
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by baaliyah(m): 7:58pm On Dec 01, 2016
Afolabisemiu:
@gbengageorge pls where is the catalyst located, I was told they are two. how do I detect if it has been removed

The simplest thing to do is to fix ur fans, then observe the consumption. Start diagnosis from simple to complex.
i am sure ur Kazeem wont charge more than what he charged u when he removed the thermo and destroyed ur fan wiring.
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by Afolabisemiu: 8:22pm On Dec 01, 2016
@gbenga and ballyah though the car is consuming fuel and i usually percieved fuel odour while driving but i never witnessed any fuel drop under my car. But today while browsing i came across what is called EGR P0401, and I observed that this EGR of a thing is never is my car. I can adeuquately say both the EGR valve and vacuum Modulator are never in my car. But i remeber a day that I observed this missing part while I was with my Mechanic, because I saw that about three other Camry I saw there, they all have thses two devices I mentioned. When Iasked my Mechanic heonly told me that, that is the way my own is built. But I never see any single Toyota Camry 1999 like mine that doesnt have. My question now is is1. are there those 1999 toyota camry cars that dont have this EGRvalve and Vcuum modulator and 2. Could it be that the missing of thses two devices are some of the cause of my car highly fuel consumptiom? Please make you una help me o. I can no more drive my car to long distance bacause I see that if care is not taken I will end up using my lat kobo to fuel my car. I have attached the two devices i am talking about in this post
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by honmusa(m): 8:49pm On Dec 01, 2016
Afolabisemiu:
@gbenga and ballyah though the car is consuming fuel and i usually percieved fuel odour while driving but i never witnessed any fuel drop under my car. But today while browsing i came across what is called EGR P0401, and I observed that this EGR of a thing is never is my car. I can adeuquately say both the EGR valve and vacuum Modulator are never in my car. But i remeber a day that I observed this missing part while I was with my Mechanic, because I saw that about three other Camry I saw there, they all have thses two devices I mentioned. When Iasked my Mechanic heonly told me that, that is the way my own is built. But I never see any single Toyota Camry 1999 like mine that doesnt have. My question now is is1. are there those 1999 toyota camry cars that dont have this EGRvalve and Vcuum modulator and 2. Could it be that the missing of thses two devices are some of the cause of my car highly fuel consumptiom? Please make you una help me o. I can no more drive my car to long distance bacause I see that if care is not taken I will end up using my lat kobo to fuel my car. I have attached the two devices i am talking about in this post
why don't you just take your car to a professional to diagnose this issue for you ,with the right tool and expertise ,all hidden and exposed issue will be revealed and resolved.
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by Afolabisemiu: 9:21pm On Dec 01, 2016
Thanks, honmusa. in fact I've just spoken to an auto-technician of a company, we've agreed for Saturday for diagnosis. thank you I'm grateful. I will come baxk to share my experience
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by captainking(m): 7:23am On Dec 02, 2016
Afolabisemiu:
Thanks, honmusa. in fact I've just spoken to an auto-technician of a company, we've agreed for Saturday for diagnosis. thank you I'm grateful. I will come baxk to share my experience
good morning Mr...we expect your feedback on your car issue...have a great day
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by mickadeyemi: 7:53am On Dec 02, 2016
A lot of things contributes to excessive fuel consumption, part of which your driving habits is part of them. Driving with a poor tyre conditions, excessive speeds, aggressive driving habits. Vehicle overweight, aerodynamic drag and seized brake cylinders.

Follow this link to find out more http://automatenaija..co.ke/2016/12/causes-of-high-fuel-consumption-high.html?m=1

Get tips to improve your fuel economy here.http://automatenaija..co.ke/2016/11/how-you-can-increase-your-fuel-economy.html?m=1
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by Gbengageorge: 12:18pm On Dec 06, 2016
Afolabisemiu:

It's located in-between the engine and the exhaust pipe, i.e where they are connected. My brother did not know it was removed from his Honda Pilot until I drove it one day and discovered that it was consuming a lot of fuel, when he consulted his mechanic, he bought another one and since then his expenses on fuel has reduced. He confirmed it to me. It was stolen at his mechanic workshop when he left it over night for repairs, and he replaced it with 70k. check with your car mechanic, I doubt if there is any car that does not have it, especially theses recent models.
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by Gbengageorge: 12:22pm On Dec 06, 2016
It's located in-between the engine and the exhaust pipe, i.e where they are connected. My brother did not know it was removed from his Honda Pilot until I drove it one day and discovered that it was consuming a lot of fuel, when he consulted his mechanic, he bought another one and since then his expenses on fuel has reduced. He confirmed it to me. It was stolen at his mechanic workshop when he left it over night for repairs, and he replaced it with 70k. check with your car mechanic, I doubt if there is any car that does not have it, especially theses recent models.
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by Kashif(m): 4:01pm On Dec 06, 2016
Gbengageorge:

Bros check your catalyst, it must have been stolen.That's the no. 1 reason for abnormal fuel consumption. Check it out and thank me later.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Abeg, make una dey take am easy with all these 'diagnosis'.
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by diportivo: 8:45pm On Dec 06, 2016
Kashif:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Abeg, make una dey take am easy with all these 'diagnosis'.

grin grin grin grin

Run ur fans direct and fling ur thermostat to d high heavens all u want people

Aslong as ur catalyst is intact,u r good to go

cheesy
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by klipse: 9:36pm On Dec 06, 2016
Afolabisemiu:

I have the exact same problem, the mech connected the fan directly and i also percieve fuel odor and it also drinks more fuel when I drive at high speeds! Exactly the same.
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by Highjayboy: 12:02am On Jan 06, 2020
I'm also experiencing same with my car, it's Camry crystal light, 2001 model Camry... I have replaced the catalyst that was stollen and it's still same thing... I was advice to go see a car electrician... So I'm seeing the electrician tomorrow morning to actually know what the fault is...your contributions are highly welcome...thanks
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by sosospence(m): 10:03am On Jan 17, 2020
vani86:
When was the last time you changed your air filter?
Please how long does it take to change an air filter?
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by Nobody: 10:40am On Jan 17, 2020
Renegade Japanese vehicles.... I won't call them shitboxes

1 Like

Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by timenamoney: 1:56pm On Sep 28, 2020
Highjayboy:
I'm also experiencing same with my car, it's Camry crystal light, 2001 model Camry... I have replaced the catalyst that was stollen and it's still same thing... I was advice to go see a car electrician... So I'm seeing the electrician tomorrow morning to actually know what the fault is...your contributions are highly welcome...thanks
I don't think catalyst converter has any thing to do with fuel consumption, it's not part of the fuel system ,use your themostat, connect your fan to factory settings , clean or change your filters check your o2 sensor, Wash tank and fuel filter don't run tank dry , use injectors cleaners 100 miles before changing engine oil, change plugs at recommended intervals
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by afesco: 2:33pm On Oct 14, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

your fans come on immediately you start the car?
pls what effect does it have on fuel consumption?
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by Chukwujohn(m): 11:15pm On Oct 29, 2020
Dear op,has the issue been solved kindly contact me on WhatsApp 07026487133
Re: My Camry Consumes Fuel by Ephraim4realm(m): 5:38pm On Apr 16, 2021
Hello my 2001 Toyota camry is consuming much fuel what is the solution

(1) (Reply)

Lamborghini Recalls The Centenario To ‘repair’ An Overweight Label / FRSC ICE Number Initiative (In Case Of Emergency) / How Long Have You Been Using Your Current Vehicle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.