Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:22 AM

The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria - Pets (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria (22335 Views)

Cats In Water! Watch What Happens With The Cat, That Really Hates Water!))) / Two Cats In Love / How To Chase Or Kill Cats In My Compound (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by Certitude(m): 10:40am On Nov 26, 2016
kellidoo:
cat are the most clean animal you can find on the planet.........have you ever seen a cat shitttttt........?never[color=#770077][/color]
I have seen cat's sh!t countless time. That's why I will support the bashing of any stray cat. They leave their abode and come to my house to sh!t and kill my chicken. Same way my pet goat was killed for years back for only God knows why, is same way I'll kill any stray cat I lay my hands on.
Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by Osmondinho(m): 10:42am On Nov 26, 2016
cute cat...

very neat and loyal.... Our house is free from rodents, and roaches

2 Likes

Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by ianSweet(f): 10:55am On Nov 26, 2016
martineverest:
its really appaling.....when average nigeria christians(pentecosals)see lizards,wall geckos,mosquitoes,rats,spider etc,they start rebuking them saying,'any monitoring spirit,every enemy...bla abla blaa'......too many insane men/women in nigeria christendom

LoL, dont blame us o. It's the nature of our society. These things are real.
Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by ianSweet(f): 10:59am On Nov 26, 2016
KillerBeauty:

True.
I remember when a rabbit trap caught a cat in my neighbourhood. People didn't sleep until they killed the cat.

I remember my hostel mate screaming blood of Jesus, I bind and cast you agent of darkness because she heard a cat meowing at night in ekosodin.

In fact Edo people fear cat so much and they fear anyone who likes them

LoL, dont blame your friend. Things like that are real. Besides, i have lived in Ekosodin too, and i react the same way when i hear cats meowing at midnight.

1 Like

Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:59am On Nov 26, 2016
fratermathy:

It is so unfortunate that in my country, Nigeria, cats are one of the most assaulted, stigmatized and unfortunate animals. Nigeria's level of religiosity, especially among Southern Christians, and the belief in witchcraft, as well as other superstitious beliefs, have made these cute, adorable and shy animals one of the most hated in the country. At the mention or sighting of a cat, the Christian fundamentalists will shout "blood of Jesus", "you cannot suck my blood", "my enemies have come", etc. The unfortunate cat may end up being killed over nothing. These thoughts can be traced to the influence of dumb and stupid low budget movies such as as Helen Ukpabio's End of the Wicked, the same movie that advocated for the branding of children as witches and which led to an international outrage just a few years ago. In her low quality movie, children transform to cats, owl, snakes, etc, to wreck havoc. Oh, how I pity for my nation and its mostly gullible Christian stock. It is one thing not to be a cat person, as many are in Western countries, but to hate cats because of a belief that they can harm you spiritually... O C'mon!

Here are some highly stupid theories Nigerians have concerning cats:

1. Cats are witches or possessed: if cats can be witches or can be possessed, can't the same argument be made for dogs, goats, sheep, rats, and HUMANS? Why take that of a cat to be peculiar? Secondly, I don't believe in the bullsh*t that cats can be possessed. That's mere African Christian stupidity and ignorance. Cats are adorable creatures and won't harm you. If truly cats can be possessed, then it is those who can possess a cat that should be feared, not the cats themselves. God created this animal and it is not our place to kill them or hate them for being what they are.

2. Cats move only at night: it should be noted that cats are mainly nocturnal. By that, I mean they are more active at nights. So also with owls, and other persecuted animals in Nigeria. Animals usually evolve to be more active at day or night or both due to various factors. We can't persecute them for that.

3. Cats have scary eyes: this argument is usually so dumb that I wonder about the sanity of those who say it. Cat's eyes are beautiful and they usually become round or "snaky" to accommodate extra light and see well. Their eyes also shine at night because that's how they were created and it makes them see much better.

4. Cats are not good pets: this is not true. Cats are adorable pets who worship their owners and love them. They are clean and independent. They are agile and strong. They answer to names and protect you from rodents. In short, cats can compete with dogs anytime, any day.

While there are more points that Nigerians make, these are the ones I feel the need to correct the most. Most of these Nigerian pastors that feed off the ignorance of people have caused so much hatred for these adorable creatures. If you are guilty of cat persecution and you are a Christian, you need to reevaluate your Christianity. I live you all with this:

All things bright and beautiful,
All CREATURES, great and small
All things bright and wonderful,
THE LORD GOD made them ALL!

- Mathias Orhero

Finally!! Someone has addressed this issue..i have to say that Nigerians are one of the most backward, superstitious , idi0tic species of humans on earth.

The other day in my office a beautiful eagle was killed... all because they believe it was a witch. i wept and felt so sad when even so called learned colleagues where like sir, its because you dont know o, this thing na witch.

And we have so called pastors in this country like Adeboye, Oyedepo and Chris Oyakhilomeh who should have addressed this issue long ago if they weren't so focused on stealing their church funds and adding more followers to take advantage off...

I weep for Nigerians, small wonder why this country is so backward and the people praise mediocrity

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by Mystery007(m): 11:01am On Nov 26, 2016
Love cats real badand I have two beautiful cats

2 Likes

Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 11:10am On Nov 26, 2016
Cletus77:
To the writer
You said the persecution of cats in Nigeria, but now u a talking abt christians.
Abi na only christians dey naija?

Those that persecute cats in Nigeria are 80% pentecostal Christians.

1 Like

Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by jasysandra(f): 11:11am On Nov 26, 2016
Cats are adorable creatures

My cats name is spooky and she's really cute grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 11:11am On Nov 26, 2016
SalomonKane:
All things! Including our thieving politicians and trigger happy security force.

Yea, all things bright and beautiful indeed!. angry

Don't take that beautiful poem out of context.

1 Like

Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 11:12am On Nov 26, 2016
torres89:
go to the village and see what there use cats for and not this stuff u copied from Google

This is the reason Nigeria is not progressing.

I wrote this. Just because you are a copy and paste warrior doesn't mean every one is.

1 Like

Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 11:13am On Nov 26, 2016
gregyboy:
I laff op u wanna think like a whiteman u free but i asure u will die like a blackman whats all d crap that cat are lovely and cute and not posesss by witches these animal is among the dommestic animal that lives around humans and also they have the sight to operate at night so flexible to flee from danger so they are mostly used by witches along side with birds mostly if go to a native doctors house u most see a cat or dog so wen u in africa think like one wen u europe think like dem also as for me i dont like cat we are in africa

So how many cats have killed people spiritually that you know of?

2 Likes

Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by preetyb(f): 11:14am On Nov 26, 2016
You can't blame Africans for hating cats and snakes because truely they are one of the most use for evil purposes.
We are Africans and we know that these things can be posses. If you don't believe it, you are only deceiving yourself . some of these things we have experience. Most Nigerians want to start thinking and believing what the white believes, forgetting tha the white man's world is different from ours. The white man world remains where it is while reality of the African world remains

If you like abuse me but I can't deny nor pretend not to know what I know about my people .

1 Like

Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 11:15am On Nov 26, 2016
Nicolars:
fratermathy ... abeg.. shey na true say if cat spit for your eye say pesin go go blind

na wetyn dem tell me wen i small be dat
na y i dey always fear dem

That's a big lie bro. Cats don't even spit.
Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by Genea(f): 11:17am On Nov 26, 2016
BiafranBushBoy:
I love cats real Bad kiss kiss
eeeewwwww
Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by ipledge10(m): 11:21am On Nov 26, 2016
Op you are very correct, Even though I live in west but the mentality I brought from Nigeria is still affecting me. I always get scared anytime I see cat in my neighborhood...

So op you are telling me that Cat will not harm me, I will take your advice and be more friendly to cat, but if cat harm me I know ur name oo
Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 11:22am On Nov 26, 2016
prince13:
OP Please look for another topic,the love for animals is an individual thing,if you like call it persecution,I personally cant stand the sigth of a cat,stop blaming it on pastors and christians,I hate cat,I hate cats-it irritate me,if you don't like it the way I am saying it,try and fall in love with snakes then,afterall they are all pets.

Snakes are also persecuted in Nigeria. I don't have issues with them.

Like I said in my post, you are free to dislike an animal. However, remove such dislikening from superstition and religion.
Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by SalomonKane: 11:23am On Nov 26, 2016
fratermathy:

Don't take that beautiful poem out of context.
Out of context? Dude I'm a poet. I know just when a poem is ironic to the point it becomes sarcastic. Very sarcastic I tell you.
Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 11:24am On Nov 26, 2016
bakynes:
There are many reasons why they are disliked here in Nigeria and Africa.
They are very slimy in movement,scary eyes, can stay still like a statue that's why many don't like them in this part of the world.

And what's wrong with them being the way God created them? Should they change because of man?

Meanwhile these things you wrote are mere generalizations, every cat is an individual of its own.
Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by jasysandra(f): 11:25am On Nov 26, 2016
sade1994:
I used to have one cat I named Ricky rozay. One of cutest cats I've ever known. Lovely and so so playful. But it doesn't stay one place. Liked going to neighbors houses and always come back with severe injuries and pain. ASABA people hate cat like mad. But it's all good.
I know rozay is in a better place now. I miss u rozay, Ur big dreamy eyes and ur playfulness. cry
cry cry

1 Like

Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 11:26am On Nov 26, 2016
jidxin:
plsss its everywhere in the world. ...not just nigeria

This is NOT true.
Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 11:28am On Nov 26, 2016
shadeyinka:

Op,
I think you have been heavily biased against Christians in your write-up. The fear of Cats is a cultural thing which religion couldn't shake off.

If you are in christian deliverance ministry, you will know that any animal can be possessed by demons however, some of them (depending on the cultural setting) are preferred. Rarely would you find Snails, Earthworm, Sheep etc used by satanists as instrument of transportation because of their obvoius nature (slow and docile).

The animals of choice usually are keen, sharp sighted (especially at night), deadly and fast.

Any Christian who is afraid of any animal is ignorant (please forgive them) however, it isn't a Christian thing to label cats or owls or snakes or parot (or any bird that makes loud screeches at Night... LOL) evil or possessed. its a cultural thing.

In the Yoruba land, witches are said to fly at night as bats, cats, grekos, dogs, owls etc. I am sure other cultures have theirs.
The Oyinbo witches are said to prefer to use Broom sticks and bats for transport at night.

But isn't it funny that Christians who ought to demystify these things are now the ones propagating it?

1 Like

Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by dumodust(m): 11:31am On Nov 26, 2016
martineverest:
its really appaling.....when average nigeria christians(pentecosals)see lizards,wall geckos,mosquitoes,rats,spider etc,they start rebuking them saying,'any monitoring spirit,every enemy...bla abla blaa'......too many insane men/women in nigeria christendom

Too many my dear, rebuking and condemning creatures that God created.
Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by ianSweet(f): 11:34am On Nov 26, 2016
fratermathy:

That's a big lie bro. Cats don't even spit.

Well treated and cared for cats do not, but i think abandoned street cats may do if infected.
Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 11:39am On Nov 26, 2016
preetyb:
You can't blame Africans for hating cats and snakes because truely they are one of the most use for evil purposes.
We are Africans and we know that these things can be posses. If you don't believe it, you are only deceiving yourself . some of these things we have experience. Most Nigerians want to start thinking and believing what the white believes, forgetting tha the white man's world is different from ours. The white man world remains where it is while reality of the African world remains

If you like abuse me but I can't deny nor pretend not to know what I know about my people .

Trust me, in Africa we are so indoctrinated into superstitions that we can even hallucinate about them. How many people have these so-called witches and cats killed? Is there any verifiable proof of this?

While western countries are busy turning their cities into heaven on earth, Africans are still trying to kill cats in order to make heaven.
Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 11:40am On Nov 26, 2016
ianSweet:

Well treated and cared for cats do not, but i think abandoned street cats may do if infected.

I wouldn't know about street cats. Except maybe they've been infected with rabies.

I know the typical average house cat doesn't spit.
Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 11:43am On Nov 26, 2016
ipledge10:
Op you are very correct, Even though I live in west but the mentality I brought from Nigeria is still affecting me. I always get scared anytime I see cat in my neighborhood...

So op you are telling me that Cat will not harm me, I will take your advice and be more friendly to cat, but if cat harm me I know ur name oo

grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Cats won't harm you if you don't try to attack or sneak up on them.

However, be very careful of large feral/wild cats.
Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by humblemikel(f): 12:07pm On Nov 26, 2016
fratermathy:

Nigerians will start calling you agent of demon now. Just wait.

That is how low we have spiraled as a people. The cause?

YEYE PASTORPRENEURS!

ops can u use the word most in ur statement
u can't just come here and over generalized issue
cause i don't think you love cats more than I or many Nigerians do.
we get ur point but u are taking this personally far.
Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by Opharhe: 12:17pm On Nov 26, 2016
BiafranBushBoy:
I love cats real Bad kiss kiss
Me too
Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by KillerBeauty(f): 12:23pm On Nov 26, 2016
ianSweet:

LoL, dont blame your friend. Things like that are real. Besides, i have lived in Ekosodin too, and i react the same way when i hear cats meowing at midnight.
Yeah.
Though I don't react like that when i hear cat meow. I have even been woken up at night by the sound of two cats fighting and I wasn't scared. I just went back to sleep. Cats are nocturnal animals so if u live in an area where there are a lot of street cats, they must disturb you at night.
I don't have time to start casting and binding.
Remember when I was younger I found a stray kitten at the back of my house and brought it inside to pet it. It was cute and it loves been tickled.
Momsy almost chop me raw that day. grin

1 Like

Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by ianSweet(f): 12:25pm On Nov 26, 2016
fratermathy:

Trust me, in Africa we are so indoctrinated into superstitions that we can even hallucinate about them. How many people have these so-called witches and cats killed? Is there any verifiable proof of this?

While western countries are busy turning their cities into heaven on earth, Africans are still trying to kill cats in order to make heaven.

That is Africa for you.
We have our pros and cons. The white society has theirs too or can we say they have no bad sides?

You can start up an animal rights group here in Nigeria since u so much love animals like cats, it'd b the first of it's kind.
All i can tell u is to just give Africans some time. With increasing education and enlightenment, things will change.

1 Like

Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by torres89: 12:55pm On Nov 26, 2016
fratermathy:

This is the reason Nigeria is not progressing.

I wrote this. Just because you are a copy and paste warrior doesn't mean every one is.

at least am a warrior that reads and understand

on like u that doesn't know jack about wat u talking about

and go further to feed people with crap

anyways the masses are always gullible...
Re: The Persecution Of Cats In Nigeria by Alanzazani: 1:09pm On Nov 26, 2016
cats eat raw meat no.matter how u try to tame them. lizzard, rats, birds , geckos, grasshoppers and so on. i grew up with those blood thirsty animals but they kept rats at bay. Givr me my dog any day fukc cats

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Benefits Of Having A Dog / Say HELLO To My New Bunnies - Jack And Jill / Which Insecticide Can Be Use To Kill Bedbugs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.