Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,775 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:43 PM

"365": A Novelette - Literature (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / "365": A Novelette (39292 Views)

Jack And The Residents Of No. 7 Cole Street (A Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / An Unusual Christmas In Ibadan (A Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / Slaves In The Soul : A Novelette (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "365": A Novelette by Ehmjay(m): 11:53am On Jan 07, 2017
Swann! Swann!! Swann!!! How many times aya call you?

1 Like

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jan 07, 2017
Swann's gone AWOL.
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jan 07, 2017
Kisschrix, colik, ehmjay smiley
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jan 07, 2017
“Hey,” Isabella said to Pluto as she walked into the hospital’s reception

He had his head to wall and sat up straight as he heard her voice.

“Hey,” he replied.

“I came as soon as I got your text,” she said as she sat next to him.

He nodded as a reply to her.

They sat quietly and watched the nurses and patients with their families walk through the reception, a nurse who almost tripped on spilled water, the little children who ran into the doctor’s office too excitedly but came out crying with pains due to the shots they had received from the doctor, the accident victims who had been rushed in on stretcher.

“About that night, I’m sorry,” Pluto said, breaking the silence.

Isabella sighed. “That… that was nothing. I wanted it anyways,” she murmured.

“I know this might sound strange to you,” he said before clearing his throat. “But I would like…”

He was cut short as the door to the ER flung open. It was David who did it. Pluto and Isabella looked at him flabbergasted. Pluto walked hurriedly to him to try and hold him down and know why he was angry. David pushed him away and ran out of the hospital.

Pluto stared at the door as it shut behind David. He did not want to believe that what he thought had happened had really did. He shook his head as if to get the thought out of his head.

“It’s gonna be alright,” Isabella said to him as she held his upper arms and stroked it.

David pounded the gate of his parent’s house and pushed the gateman aside as he ran into the compound. He banged the front door but got no reply. He looked up and he saw some windows open which meant that someone was in there but perhaps could not hear him. He walked to the backyard and saw the back door open and went into the house through it. The kitchen was empty with a few plates on the sink and steam still coming out of the kettle and a used bag of Earl Grey tea.

He left the kitchen and walked up the stairs to his mother’s room, at least the woman he always thought was his mother. He knocked and entered as he heard a voice from the inside of the room telling him to do so. He saw the woman sitting on the chair besides the window, her back faced towards him.

“I was knocking at the front,” he said

The woman turned her head around and nodded as a reply to him. She remained in that pose, expecting him to say more.

“I want to know who you are.”

The woman raised an eyebrow. “Come drink with me.”

David groaned. He had expected answers straight away but walked towards her and took a seat opposite her at the other end of the window. If drinking with her was going to bring answers, then he was prepared to get drunk. A cup of tea was placed besides her but he could see a bottle of wine on the floor. It was open but he could not see the quantity that remained. The woman the tea out the window and brought the wine and poured it into the cup and handed it over to David.

“I still want to know who you are,” he blurted.

The woman heaved a sigh and gazed out the window. “I’m your mother,” she sneered.

“No, you’re not. I know the truth already but I want to hear the full story from you.”

“What makes you think I know this, full story?”

“Because, I remembered it.”

The woman’s eyes shot open and thoughts raced through her mind on how it was possible for him to remember and what may have triggered the memory.

“Fine, I’ll talk,” the woman said as she realized the game was up.

“It’s not a long story and I’m not going to waste words,” she began. “After your mother died and your disorder began, I was employed to take care of you. In that process, I started having feelings for your father,” she stopped to take a gulp of wine from the bottle.

“But he never noticed me, no matter what I did because he still loved your mother. So I decided to get him drunk and I slept with him. Few weeks later, I found out I was pregnant so I sold him the idea of getting married to me since the shame of having a child out of wedlock would be too much for me to bear. At first, he did not buy it and made plans for me to have an abortion but I got my mother involved and after much discussion on why she would never let me get an abortion or let me give birth to the child unwedded, your father and I got married.”

“What happened to the baby?” David cut in.

“It died,” she replied as she took another gulp of thea wine. She looked at the bottle and it was almost empty. “Stillborn,” she added.

“But by then your father had liked me enough to not divorce. Or should I say, he liked the idea I presented to him about you needing a mother figure and me being that mother figure. But I really liked and wanted to continue being your mother. You were like the child I never had.”

David took the first sip of wine from the cup and chuckled. “Why didn’t you try for other children?”

“You were enough.”

“Thank you, for telling me the truth.”

She looked at him and smiled.

“I like you being my mother too,” he said with a chortle.

The door opened and Isabella’s sister Rosa barged in. “We succeeded in getting that Kaylee girl out of our way,” she said not noticing David in the room. Her eyes screamed horror when she did.

The cup fell from David’s hand, and the wine spilled, staining the floor with its burgundy colour.

“I can explain,” the woman cried out as she dropped the bottle in her hands on the floor, creating more burgundy coloured stains and tried to stand and hold him back as he walked towards the door.

“Don’t, just don’t,” he screamed at her as he pushed her away.

He stopped when he got to where Rosa stood and scoffed and shaked his head before walking away.

As he went down the stairs he heard murmuring in the living room and walked quietly towards it. He made out a few things that was being said but peeped when he heard someone saying that Kaylee wouldn’t make it. It was his father and Isabella’s grandmother.He couldn't believe they were part of what ever plan was going on. He ran out through the back door.

By the time he reached his car, his eyes were already filled up with tears. He had lost the woman he loved the most and was betrayed by almost everyone he thought he could trust and that made him angry. With those thoughts in his mind he drove off. He drove very fast and did not mind the people that had dodge to avoid getting hit or the women screaming curses at him for almost hitting down their wares. Their curses did not bother him. He just wanted to get as far as possible from everyone.

As he drove lost in thought, he did not hear the horn of the trailer that was coming from the corner of the road and he kept his speed. The two cars collided and it was his that somersaulted out of the road.

He crawled out of the wrecked car amidst the murmurs from the crowd that had formed. He could feel the metallic taste of blood that oozed from his head and it made him nauseous causing his to fall to the sandy ground. He opened his mouth to vomit but the only thing that came out was blood which he spat out. Then the darkness came.

TBC

12 Likes 10 Shares

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jan 07, 2017
smiley
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jan 07, 2017
smiley
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jan 07, 2017
There's a grand conspiracy against Kaylee shockedembarassed

' He had lost the woman he loved the most'
I don't understand this part. Kaylee didn't die, did She?

1 Like

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 7:02am On Jan 08, 2017
KissChrix:

lipsrsealed
Re: "365": A Novelette by Jay542(m): 7:44am On Jan 08, 2017
Gbese re oo angry

1 Like

Re: "365": A Novelette by Ehmjay(m): 11:04am On Jan 08, 2017
We don dey beg make yhu update,now whey u update i dey ask myself why i ask yhu make u update *crying* iyah no ghud o swann Ah ah hope no be say kaylee character don change location go heaven

1 Like

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 11:30am On Jan 08, 2017
KissChrix:

I think she hasn't died yet because of this part.
swann:

As he went down the stairs he heard murmuring in the living room and walked quietly towards it. He made out a few things that was being said but peeped when he heard someone saying that Kaylee wouldn’t make it. It was his father and Isabella’s grandmother.He couldn't believe they were part of what ever plan was going on. He ran out through the back door.
My understanding of this WOULDN'T is they know for a fact she wont make it, but she's still alive. His dad is wealthy so maybe they'll buy a doctor to finish her of.

Naughty boy, instead of running to guard her and, he decides to kill himself.....if he doesn't survive this .....Halala
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jan 08, 2017
jagugu88li:

I think she hasn't died yet because of this part
My understanding of this WOULDN'T is they know for a fact she wont make it, but she's still alive. His dad is wealthy so maybe they'll buy a doctor to finish her of.

Naughty boy, instead of running to guard her and, he decides to kill himself.....if he doesn't survive this .....Halala

You should know by now that David is irritatingly soft cool
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jan 08, 2017
Ehmjay:
We don dey beg make yhu update,now whey u update i dey ask myself why i ask yhu make u update *crying* iyah no ghud o swa.nn Ah ah hope no be say kaylee character don change location go heaven

Lol. You'll find out soon grin
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jan 08, 2017
Jay542:
Gbese re oo angry
I hope i'm not too late but happy birthday smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Jay542(m): 6:26am On Jan 09, 2017
swann:

I hope i'm not too late but happy birthday smiley
Thanks

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Amenya96(f): 7:39pm On Feb 06, 2017
swan,please update,please

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him / A Girl Called Fib & The Axe Of Fury / Robinson Crusoe: Who Else Remembers This Novel? Indomie Generation Stay Off.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.