Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:24 PM

If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? (912 Views)

Police Announce New Measures To Reform SARS / IPOB And The Need To Reform Her Strategy: / PENGASSAN Threatens To Shut Down Oil Sector In Seven Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Nov 27, 2016
If you have the power to work on and change any sector in Nigeria, which sector will you work on, what will you do and why did you chose that sector.

I know we have people in power on Nl, maybe they can learn from the masses.

Cc:
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Re: If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by Onechancearmy(m): 3:48pm On Nov 27, 2016
Workers welfare. I will make sure workers are never owed salaries again.
Re: If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by greatnaija01: 3:48pm On Nov 27, 2016
MIND-SECTOR OF ALL NIGERIANS...... thats the SOURCE of all our woes and shameful experiences GLOBALLY and LOCALLY

Queenbeee:
If you have the power to work on and change any sector in Nigeria, which sector will you work on, what will you do and why did you chose that sector.

Cc:
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Re: If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Nov 27, 2016
greatnaija01:
MIND-SECTOR OF ALL NIGERIANS...... thats the SOURCE of all our woes and shameful experiences GLOBALLY and LOCALLY

That's not really a sector smiley and how do you plan to change the mindset of Nigerians?
Re: If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Nov 27, 2016
Onechancearmy:
Workers welfare. I will make sure workers are never owed salaries again.

Assuming you had this 'power' in this period of recession, how do you plan to pay all outstanding salaries?
Re: If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by greatnaija01: 3:54pm On Nov 27, 2016
DONALD TRUMP HAS BEEN DOING IT FOR YEARS.... you do not even need to be a president or wealthiest.

Queenbeee:

That's not really a sector smiley and how do you plan to change the mindset of Nigerians?
Re: If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by Davash222(m): 3:56pm On Nov 27, 2016
Re: If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Nov 27, 2016
greatnaija01:
DONALD TRUMP HAS BEEN DOING IT FOR YEARS.... you do not even need to be a president or wealthiest.

You'll have to put me through, I don't understand. How has Donald been changing the mindset of people.
Re: If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by DanPel(m): 3:59pm On Nov 27, 2016
All i would work on is EDUCATION sector.
Re: If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 27, 2016
DanPel:
All i would work on is EDUCATION sector.

Why education sector, and what would you do
Re: If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by greatnaija01: 4:07pm On Nov 27, 2016
Hmmmmm we are all learning Ma,

Truth be told, if all MEDIA associates can be summoned and re-orientated on banning LEWD stuff and OBSCENE ADULT stuff on their Movie producers, TV/RADIO stations, blogs,MUSICIANS, COMEDIANS and SITES? then we have a start...

also

Internet regulations on 'BAD NEWS' and 'CORRUPT VIEWINGS' WITH HIGH PENALTY AND FEES

also HIGH CELEBRATIONS OF GOOD EFFORTS IN EVERY OTHER SECTOR... example... COWBELL maths competition will pay their BEST student only 100k BUT A PROJECT FAME school drop out with a great voice and cute looks gets 5MILLION.... doesn't that alone shit VALUE and deregulate things?

I AM AWARE THAT IT MAY NOT BE MUCH AT FIRST... BUT IT WILL GROW TILL CORRUPTION WILL BE STRANGE AND ODD because its no longer celebrated... EVERY HUMAN CAN BE PROGRAMMED AND DE-PROGRAMMED. so this is just a HINT of how to create RIGHT VALUES IN THE MINDS OF MANY.

Queenbeee:

You'll have to put me through, I don't understand. How has Donald been changing the mindset of people.

1 Like

Re: If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by laudate: 4:09pm On Nov 27, 2016
Queenbeee:

Cc:
Lalasticlala
Mynd44

The Power Sector, followed by the Transport sector, specifically rail. The 3rd would be the Health Sector. And finally Education.

Power sector needs deliverance, Rail is comatose while Health is on life support.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Nov 27, 2016
laudate:

The Power Sector, followed by the Transport sector, specifically rail. The 3rd would be the Health Sector. And finally Education.

Power sector needs deliverance, Rail is comatose while Health is on life support.

What will you do to change this sectors?
Re: If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by Onechancearmy(m): 4:19pm On Nov 27, 2016
Queenbeee:

Assuming you had this 'power' in this period of recession, how do you plan to pay all outstanding salaries?

Right sizing of the workforce. Getting rid of the thousands of non essential personnel who are just showing up to collect salaries without doing any tangible work.
An immediate moratorium on recruitment into the civil service for the time being, with the exception of doctors, teachers and other indispensible professionals.
I would introduce DNA indentity verification to weed out ghost workers.
Finally, I would make diversion of public funds above 2 million naira punishable by beheading and diversion below 2 million punishable by Jail terms ranging from a minimum of 5 years to a maximum of 20 years.

1 Like

Re: If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by DanPel(m): 4:22pm On Nov 27, 2016
Queenbeee:

Why education sector, and what would you do
Thats really the back bone of anyone talented. The long years at schl learning wat does nt concern u,substandard or no good learning materials,poor welfare of teachers n student @all level. I think in the sector i can welcome the disable and dumbs unda an enabling environment not all abt scholarship but real specializing. Education Sector is not as tedious as being Hyped,i believe education is one of the and might be the first sector in Africa that needs little input but great maintainace that would boom larger output.
(Agriculture,Housing and Urban Planning and ICT inclusively)

1 Like

Re: If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by Negro1: 4:23pm On Nov 27, 2016
Queenbeee:

Cc:
Lalasticlala
Mynd44

the sectors I'd choose; economy and education but since u mean one, I'll go with economy.

What I'll look to do is obvious; revive the economy

the reason why I picked this sector is that it encompasses and cuts across other sectors, which means if I can work on the economy, I'll also be contributing in part to other sectors. also we need to put the welfare of the populace on the front burner, which can only get better through a vibrant economy.

I don't think I'll be detailed in how I'll go about this quest. That said, the first thing I'll do is to source for money to pump into key sectors of the economy, I.e sectors that support other sectors, such as the energy sector among others. If we can have stable electricity supply, businesses can reduce their cost of operations.

In generating the funds, I'll consider external and internal channels. The first internal option will be to cut cost of governance across all tiers and arms. Especially in the area of renumeration and assets. IGR is also another option. While FDI remains a good option, but I'll be careful with this so it doesn't backfire.

Once these funds are in the bank, I'll pump them into the economy. And I'll make sure I'm spending to combat our lacks and strengthen our weaknesses, this is to ensure we import less for now to keep our money within.

First I'll support entrepreneurship and SMEs, by creating a fund that offers loans at a low interest to startups in sectors that are labour intensive, I.e sectors that employ a lot of ppl, such as telecom, agriculture etc.

Secondly, I'll grant local companies tax rebates to enable them compete with foreign counterparts. The loss in IGR will be checked with reduce in cost of governance, although it may not be enough.

When I've got everything in place, I'll strike beneficial trade deals with foreign governments and regional bodies.

I'll also devalue the currency to encourage local consumption and exportation, and to also discourage importation, this will be accompanied with high duties with non trade partners. But I'll be extra careful in doing this though.

Thats it. Biko I typed with my phone, forgive spacing and other errors.

1 Like

Re: If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by zero8zero(m): 4:26pm On Nov 27, 2016
Onechancearmy:

Right sizing of the workforce. Getting rid of the thousands of non essential personnel who are just showing up to collect salaries without doing any tangible work.
An immediate moratorium on recruitment into the civil service for the time being, with the exception of doctors, teachers and other indispensible professionals.
I would introduce DNA indentity verification to weed out ghost workers.
Finally, I would make diversion of public funds above 2 million naira punishable by beheading and diversion below 2 million punishable by Jail terms ranging from a minimum of 5 years to a maximum of 20 years.
Good but first ensure that you write your will.

1 Like

Re: If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Nov 27, 2016
Education sector Bro...

At a point in time I was tired of going to school because there is nothing of intrest in our universities, its just From Theory to theory no real intelligence and practical.
Everything is copy copy, I spend 7 days to come up with a narrative to answer a question given to every one as a project.
When I submitted it, In my face it was trown to the bin because I refuse to pay 700naira for the assigment.

Our primary schools are in shambles if not private schools, we have many quack teachers that produce quack students. Going to school in secondry schools is now a thing of entertainment for teenagers, no real thing for dem to hold on to.

After my ND, all my collegues we came together to discuss of what we learn so far, none of us could apply it in real life. We went on with other profession to keep up.

Education need a total overhaual, Might one.

I have seen lectures who will never come to class but require you to answer their question on exam day. Some do come but talk nonsense in the name of teaching..inshort only 38% of lecturers I met in high institution knows or are updated of the course they are handling. One of my computer lecturer did English in his portfolio..

Its makes me angry cos this are stages in life am meant to pass through once in a lifetime.

1 Like

Re: If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by Onechancearmy(m): 4:31pm On Nov 27, 2016
zero8zero:
Good but first ensure that you write your will.

Truth is mine
grin
Re: If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Nov 27, 2016
OAM4J
Mynd44
Please move this to the permanent side so we can get more ideas, thanks.
Re: If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by modath(f): 5:32pm On Nov 27, 2016
Power..... Any other thing is mere meandering... Every sector's progress is directly or indirectly tied to it...

1. The forex we spend on importing refined petroleum products will be cut in half, shoring up the reserves & currency value.... Other sectors will benefit from this.

2.. All the industries that ran away will return and new start ups & SMEs won't keel over and die in no time... Direct result will be reintroducing a million jobs back into the economy..

2 Likes

Re: If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by donvicky2007: 7:02pm On Nov 27, 2016
Power, I will make sure that there is constant power supply, no nation develop without 247 power supply.
Re: If You Had The Power To Reform Any Sector In Nigeria, Which Will It Be? by otokx(m): 7:51pm On Nov 27, 2016
Power sector, govt should pay for meters and put everywhere then have the consuming households or businesses payback over 3 years.

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Saraki And Other Senators At Sen. Rafiu Adebayo Ibrahim Birthday Party / The Igbos In The Se, Niger Delta, Edo, Kogi And Benue We Are One! / BEDC Has Increased Its Tarrif To #31.27/unit.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.