Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,116 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:52 PM

Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? (11204 Views)

Nine Nurses In The Same Labour Unit All Pregnant At Same Time In Maine Hospital / Something Common To Most Nigerian Households Parents And Guardians / Opinion: Mothers Tend To Live Longer Than Fathers In Most Nigerian Homes. Why (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by TheArchangel(f): 5:19am On Nov 30, 2016
Gracious10:

Except things changed because in 2005-2007, it wasn't like that, nurses never discharged patients and any nurse discharging a patient when the doctor hasn't signed off on that discharge is risking her license, it doesn't matter if patient is stable or not and I agree nurses are advocates for patients, that lady shouldn't have been discharged.

I love this thread, I am learning things I thought I knew, nurses now discharge patients, its well oo ,only in nigeria.
leave that monicker alone, he/she only thrive where nurses are mentioned. Nurses this and that. Stringing out comparisons without pointing out the obvious fundamental and structural differences between nursing practice in various climes where things work. The original post has more to do with the faulty managemental setup and the domino effect of the setup is was is being felt. Just like sending someone to the farm without even a common hoe and you are telling me that the good and bad grasses won't feel the brunt.
All hail the Hitler Nurses. To her nurses are the fourth Reich committing atrocities up and down like their Mein Kampf. Heil Hitler nurses undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Gracious10: 6:19am On Nov 30, 2016
TheArchangel:
leave that monicker alone, he/she only thrive where nurses are mentioned. Nurses this and that. Stringing out comparisons without pointing out the obvious fundamental and structural differences between nursing practice in various climes where things work. The original post has more to do with the faulty managemental setup and the domino effect of the setup is was is being felt. Just like sending someone to the farm without even a common hoe and you are telling me that the good and bad grasses won't feel the brunt.
All hail the Hitler Nurses. To her nurses are the fourth Reich committing atrocities up and down like their Mein Kampf. Heil Hitler nurses undecided undecided undecided

I am astonished at how things operate here, I just don't know what to believe, in all my years, I have never seen a nurse discharge a patient, the nurse can't even tell you what your results are neither can they diagnose anything except when using the nursing process or care plan.

it's very unbelievable to me and ever since I read that, I have not had peace and I've been thinking out loud how that is even possible, even a nurse practioner has her practice limit.
Even in a private hospital, how is it possible or did nursing practice change in Nigeria? Any nurse who even adds that to her job description is just looking for trouble, that license isn't important to him/her.
But this is Nigeria, anything is possible. But What do I know? Anything goes.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Nobody: 6:40am On Nov 30, 2016
Oh Please be still and be quiet. I have two sisters who are nurses. My sister in law is a nurse and I have a cousin who works at Reddington VI as a nurse and another at Chevron Gbagada. Stop playing the sympathy card and learn from your darn mistakes.

Sending a farmer to the farm without a hoe indeed..... let the farmer walk away if that is the case. You don't decide to punish vulnerable people because the government is throwing nothing at you. Change career path if you can't touch peoples lives positively without whingeing.

Who doesn't know how terrible Nigeria is? and how our health care system is in shambles? leave the system alone and go be something or someone else.

This was how you people were whinging on the other thread because your patients did not worship the ground you walk on...putting sentiments way before professionalism. The same way some of you was whinging about how a patient dashed a doctor money right in your very before without dashing you too after "ALL YOU DID FOR THEM".

You come to a developed country with that same silly mentality. No wonder some of you have lost your license to practice here. You are not kings or queens, no one is...you are there to care for people and if you can't because of how corrupt and how unfulfilling Nigeria is(the same reason some of us left the gad forsaken country in the first place), CHANGE CAREERS already. Or do something else. Leave nursing and go open up a shop/store and if you have a shop already, focus on it and it alone.

Most of you studied nursing just because you want the money that comes with it when you eventually leave the country to America or some where else. The passion is not there. Where there is no passion, there is almost no empathy or sense of understanding. You don't know how much you nurses impact the lives of your patient and whichever way(positively or negatively) you all choose to go, it follows the patient/person for the rest of their lives.

Nursing is not a business venture you go into to make some cash for when you leave the shores of Nigeria, not when peoples lives depend on you.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by ecolime(m): 7:26am On Nov 30, 2016
Nigerian nurses are products of the Nigerian society. This is a country where people are angry, bitter and ready to lynch a fellow human over a cup of garri.

General Hospital nurses are the worst. They are so pompous and treat their patients like thrash. Most private hospital nurses are very professional. I used a private hospital (Inland hospital, Alapere) early this month and I was wowwed at their level of professionalism. Everyone from the gateman to the CMD is always there to help.

I believe most government health workers act that way because they believe no one can sanction them and that government's business is nobody's business while private hospital workers tend to be more professional because that's where their salary is coming from (who wants to lose a job in this recession? ...lol)

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by TheArchangel(f): 7:35am On Nov 30, 2016
WellEndowed:
Oh Please be still and be quiet. I have two sisters who are nurses. My sister in law is a nurse and I have a cousin who works at Reddington VI as a nurse and another at Chevron Gbagada. Stop playing the sympathy card and learn from your darn mistakes.

Sending a farmer to the farm without a hoe indeed..... let the farmer walk away if that is the case. You don't decide to punish vulnerable people because the government is throwing nothing at you. Change career path if you can't touch peoples lives positively without whingeing.

Who doesn't know how terrible Nigeria is? and how our health care system is in shambles? leave the system alone and go be something or someone else.

This was how you people were whinging on the other thread because your patients did not worship the ground you walk on...putting sentiments way before professionalism. The same way some of you was whinging about how a patient dashed a doctor money right in your very before without dashing you too after "ALL YOU DID FOR THEM".

You come to a developed country with that same silly mentality. No wonder some of you have lost your license to practice here. You are not kings or queens, no one is...you are there to care for people and if you can't because of how corrupt and how unfulfilling Nigeria is(the same reason some of us left the gad forsaken country in the first place), CHANGE CAREERS already. Or do something else. Leave nursing and go open up a shop/store and if you have a shop already, focus on it and it alone.

Most of you studied nursing just because you want the money that comes with it when you eventually leave the country to America or some where else. The passion is not there. Where there is no passion, there is almost no empathy or sense of understanding. You don't know how much you nurses impact on the lives of your patient and whichever way(positively or negatively) you all choose to go, it follows the patient/person for the rest of their lives.

Nursing is not a business venture you go into and make some cash when you leave the shores of Nigeria, not when peoples lives depend on you.
Your bitterness is well noted as always. Now run along as usual.
Thanks
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Nobody: 7:44am On Nov 30, 2016
TheArchangel:
Thanks

Excuse me?who are you again?

ecolime:
(who wants to lose a job in this recession? ...lol)

times are hard grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by eyinjuege: 8:51am On Nov 30, 2016
WellEndowed:

She met a nurse by the door and asked a question. Read me well. A simple answer would have solved the issue. "Please see the receptionist".....or tell her where to go. Did babythug disturb her while she was carrying out procedure on a child?

I am currently in a developed country but also a very Remote area at the moment. I walked into one of yhe hospitals here as I had to briefly speak to the doctor on duty. Receptionist wasn't around and had the "will be back in 15mins" card up. I also had a patient booked in to see me at 1430hrs and I was there just before 1420. This patient had a recurring condition and the doctor at the other hospital was going to discuss her issues with me briefly and also give me her file. I saw a nurse walking down the corridor and asked her how I could reach the doctor...she had a kidney dish in her hand so she was clearly busy..but was polite enough to direct me to where I needed to be and she is Indian for feck sake.

You don't yell at anyone in a work environment. Tell them to see the receptionist because you are busy or something. That attitude would drive even the Pope to commit the act of swearing

Don't think I'm trying to justify anyone screaming at work. That's highly unprofessional, and wrong.

But I find it also inconsiderate for anyone coming to s place, expecting to be served first despite meeting others around there. Others might also be there to make some enquiries.
Using the example of a staff walking on the corridor (whether with a kidney dish or not) and you stopping them to ask questions is quite different. Would you still have gone to ask her a question when she's talking to someone else on the corridor? Wouldn't you wait for her to finish?
I think that's rude to interrupt others, but hey that's just me.

The health center settings isn't exactly ideal, in Naija You actually run your clinic in the open, no privacy talkmore of the issues of confidentiality. You are attending to a large no of people at the same time, and you have to shout to be heard (not necessarily because you're angry or rude) . You might be lucky to have a sound system, but most times you don't and even if you do crowd control is still an issue with everyone talking at the same time.
Assuming the nurse in question was running a clinic, usually preceded with their general health talks, I don't think its right to interrupt her to make your enquiries from her.
If she were just standing outside on a break with nobody with her, or just gisting outside on a break with her colleagues, that's a different scenario
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by TheArchangel(f): 8:52am On Nov 30, 2016
WellEndowed:

Excuse me?who are you again?

times are hard grin cheesy
undecided undecided
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Nobody: 9:58am On Nov 30, 2016
TheArchangel:
Thanks

He's actually making a point.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Richy4(m): 10:17am On Nov 30, 2016
WellEndowed:

Most of you studied nursing just because you want the money that comes with it when you eventually leave the country to America or some where else. The passion is not there. Where there is no passion, there is almost no empathy or sense of understanding. You don't know how much you nurses impact on the lives of your patient and whichever way(positively or negatively) you all choose to go, it follows the patient/person for the rest of their lives.

Nursing is not a business venture you go into and make some cash when you leave the shores of Nigeria, not when peoples lives depend on you.

My brother take an E-HUG from me please....for this post....I don't even wanna comment anymore...If my own blood sister can smile and ignore a pregnant woman because she did not bring a hand glove and soap etc as if nothing happened, what else can I say...
I can just remember when she first started...The first time she encountered a dead body as a student,they ask them to deposit the body @ the morgue, she came back home really sick for two week because of the shock...I can remember my grandma..God rest her soul, telling her to quit, that she was too young to be carrying dead body....My mum was like...that's enough do not go there again....My dad was the only one that told her to be strong that others were doing it..she too can do it...I remembered me and my big bro laughing our heads off.....We never knew the profession will block her feelings like i witnessed...is it because they are now used to seeing people die or what....I don't just get it

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by damiso(f): 10:32am On Nov 30, 2016
Gracious10:

My dear, you are complaining of gloves, lol, so u havent seen where a nurse improvised plastic bag in place of gloves? Or wear gloves on one hand just to save the other pair, you haven't seen what really goes on. Ever wondered what happens to the remaining gloves, lol... naija is dog eat dog.
No patient should be required to buy gloves, it's completely the responsibility of the hospital.
Before Nurses are blamed, start from the top.

I wasn't blaming the nurses , I blame the whole system from top to bottom. The officer who is charged with procurement or facilities probably wants to finish his 4 X 4 Flat in Igando in 2 years all from his civil servant salary so of course why wont gloves, toilet paper, antibacterial gel etc. disappear from the Wards.

Its just sickening how people can be so greedy when it comes to Human Life. And it makes it even sickening that our leaders who by the way get flown abroad for ear ache see how its done and wont want just a fraction of these for their citizenry. No one is talking about over flowing CT and MRI scans but just the basics , the basics at the level of primary healthcare. The citizenry also have some blame as well but before we get to attitude lets focus on providing infrastructure( or even maintaining and upgrading those already there) Guys and St Thomas hospital was built in the 15th century and is still standing today as a modern hospital by any standard and same can be said for so many hospitals in the UK. No one is saying build thousands of brand new hospitals. I know lagos state has a wide range of health centres and hospitals in different local government areas .Just upgrade the services and invest in infrastructure so we wont be hearing things like ' Only this hospital has a dialysis machine' in the whole of Oyo state. angry and then you would need to know one big wig or pay big bucks to get priority.

I just get annoyed talking about it. angry angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by babythug(f): 10:52am On Nov 30, 2016
eyinjuege:

Don't think I'm trying to justify anyone screaming at work. That's highly unprofessional, and wrong.

But I find it also inconsiderate for anyone coming to s place, expecting to be served first despite meeting others around there. Others might also be there to make some enquiries.
Using the example of a staff walking on the corridor (whether with a kidney dish or not) and you stopping them to ask questions is quite different. Would you still have gone to ask her a question when she's talking to someone else on the corridor? Wouldn't you because you're angry or rude) . You might be lucky to have a de on a break with nobody with her, or just gisting outside on a break with her colleagues, that's a different scenario

Let me clarify dear! This health center has no front desk officer or receptionist, the nurse I met is in charge of enquiries/ registration and incoming patients!

She was at her desk when I met her! I'd have to be a stark illiterate to interrupt someone giving a lecture to make enquiries you know! It wasn't the case at all, her desk was by the door and she was writing. I greeted and asked if I could make enquiries she said "uhun" or something like that and I proceeded!!! There was no intent to jump the queue as a matter of fact I didn't expect to use the facility that day seeing the crowd! So I wasn't looking for any extra favors!

But I doubt this my "case" is really the issue. It's the general attitude that's the matter here

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by babythug(f): 11:05am On Nov 30, 2016
eyinjuege:

Did you meet other people there when you went?
Why didn't you wait as she asked you to till it gets to your turn before sorting your enquiries out?
Even when trying to make simple enquiries abroad, you wait your turn. God help you if the person that came before you needed sorting out like treatment etc. You still wait for your turn, even if its one hour unless another staff comes in to assist .
Nigerians need to learn patience, and not always be in a hurry.

Regrading beating patients in labor, that's assault. No two words about it, nothing to justify that. They should be sued and prosecuted. Highy unprofessional

I remember a case in a UK hospital of a patient in labour who bit the midwife, she was equally prosecuted. It goes both ways

That's the amusing part! There was no queue!!!!

The others were waiting to have their children immunized. Should I have waited till all babies were immunized before asking a few questions

I hope this clarifies the situation some more

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Mayflowa(m): 11:05am On Nov 30, 2016
damiso:

I wasn't blaming the nurses , I blame the whole system from top to bottom. The officer who is charged with procurement or facilities probably wants to finish his 4 X 4 Flat in Igando in 2 years all from his civil servant salary so of course why wont gloves, toilet paper, antibacterial gel etc. disappear from the Wards.

Its just sickening how people can be so greedy when it comes to Human Life. And it makes it even sickening that our leaders who by the way get flown abroad for ear ache see how its done and wont want just a fraction of these for their citizenry. No one is talking about over flowing CT and MRI scans but just the basics , the basics at the level of primary healthcare. The citizenry also have some blame as well but before we get to attitude lets focus on providing infrastructure( or even maintaining and upgrading those already there) Guys and St Thomas hospital was built in the 15th century and is still standing today as a modern hospital by any standard and same can be said for so many hospitals in the UK. No one is saying build thousands of brand new hospitals. I know lagos state has a wide range of health centres and hospitals in different local government areas .Just upgrade the services and invest in infrastructure so we wont be hearing things like ' Only this hospital has a dialysis machine' in the whole of Oyo state. angry and then you would need to know one big wig or pay big bucks to get priority.

I just get annoyed talking about it. angry angry

Rightly said. Hospital infrastructures and character rank paripassu. But I would deal in character ahead of infrastructures. Many healthcare nurses go to villages with nothing to volunteer their service and yo need to see the warmth in their smile always. Always soothing. It costs nothing to be nice, polite and friendly

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by TheArchangel(f): 11:47am On Nov 30, 2016
DarkRebel101:

He's actually making a point.
Yeah sure. As usual for HER undecided
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Nobody: 11:51am On Nov 30, 2016
TheArchangel:
Yeah sure. As usual for HER undecided

Meaning?
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by TheArchangel(f): 11:56am On Nov 30, 2016
babythug:

Let me clarify dear! This health center has no front desk officer or receptionist, the nurse I met is in charge of enquiries/ registration and incoming patients
!

She was at her desk when I met her! I'd have to be a stark illiterate to interrupt someone giving a lecture to make enquiries you know! It wasn't the case at all, her desk was by the door and she was writing. I greeted and asked if I could make enquiries she said "uhun" or something like that and I proceeded!!! There was no intent to jump the queue as a matter of fact I didn't expect to use the facility that day seeing the crowd! So I wasn't looking for any extra favors!

But I doubt this my "case" is really the issue. It's the general attitude that's the matter here
Y'all can see from the first statement. She is the desk officer, the receptionist, cashier, doctor, cleaner, nurse and even the gateman .....oh come on on an IMMUNIZATION DAY OF ALL DAYS embarassed embarassed. Cut that nurse some slack. Truth is even coming out.
So help me God!! If I am doing all that you listed, sincerely and honestly, I won't talk to you, I won't scream or shout....I will point for you to wait till I am done no matter how long it takes. Enquires you say!! then wait!! !! !!.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by TheArchangel(f): 11:59am On Nov 30, 2016
DarkRebel101:

Meaning?
She has an ingrained bitterness for nurses.
Start a thread on the wellbeing of nurses, improvement in nursing education and find out, Sir.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Nov 30, 2016
TheArchangel:
She has an ingrained bitterness for nurses.
Start a thread on the wellbeing of nurses, improvement in nursing education and find out, Sir.

I'm sure her so-called ingrained bitterness is anything but a bolt out of the blue.

Something, or rather, her experiences with some nurses must have triggered the domino effect which gave rise to the current opinion she has of them.

The truth is only a matter of perspective. Maybe if you tried putting yourself in her shoes so as to understand why she comes across as embittered, perhaps you would see some icicles of reason in what she's saying.

I agree 100% with all she said because I, and some people close to me, have gone through some hell-and-high-water moments with some of these nurses.

If a nurse's work performance is contingent upon whether her salary is being paid on time or not, then such a nurse has no business being in that line of profession.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by TheArchangel(f): 12:16pm On Nov 30, 2016
DarkRebel101:

I'm sure her so-called ingrained bitterness is anything but a bolt out of the blue.

Something, or rather, her experiences with some nurses must have triggered the domino effect which gave rise to the current opinion she has of them.

The truth is only a matter of perspective. Maybe if you tried putting yourself in her shoes so as to understand why she's comes across as embittered, you would see some reason in what she's saying.

I agree 100% with all she said because I, and some people close to me, have gone through some hell-and-high-water moments with some of these nurses.

If a nurse's work performance is contingent upon whether her salary is being paid on time or not, then such a nurse has no business being in that line of profession.
She is entitled to her opinion and most people can attest to that. I, being a nurse can attest to it too but going on and on about it on virtually every thread where nurses are mentioned whether for good or bad is becoming an obsession. I
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by TV01(m): 12:27pm On Nov 30, 2016
...not sure why nursing professionals are being singled out here undecided?

Yes, I'm sure there are some bad apples, and maybe a few rotten eggs cheesy. And there is probably no gainsaying peoples individual experiences with some nurses, or even the mien of the "typical nurse".

But in all, there are victims as well. Victims of a failing state, with poor education and healthcare delivery. A state that doesn't make adequate provision or rightly reward the vast majority of it's workers.

Given the zeitgeist in Nigeria, do you really expect a cohort of people to demonstrate qualities and characteristics atypical to the general populace just because they are badged as nurses?

Even, even, if they joined the professional ranks with their hearts in the right place, do you really believe that the harsh conditions won't over time seriously affect their morale - let alone general well-being?

What of the executive, the judiciary, the legislature? What of your governors, commissioners and LG reps? Are their tragic shortcomings failings somehow ameliorated because they fail you with a smiley face and the occasional act of feudal largesse?

Abeg, free nurses jor. If you think an amiable bedside manner is our biggest problem, you never start.

TV
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Nov 30, 2016
TheArchangel:
She is entitled to her opinion and must people can attest to that. I, being a nurse can attest to it too but going on and on about it on virtually every thread where nurses are mentioned whether for good or bad is becoming an obsession. I

Barring the ones she's made on this thread, I've never come across any of her submissions as regards the issue of poor nursing. And so far, I'd say they were on point.

And since you say she is entitled to her opinion, then surely she is, in equal facility, entitled to belabouring her point on each thread the issue is raised. I think it's called freedom of speech freedom of obsession. tongue

All in all, the nursing profession in Nigeria is in dire need of a revamp. An attitudinal alchemy and a U-turn in the manner of approach to their work would go a long way. Do you know how many people have died because a nurse felt putting up an attitude should take precedence over a Kleenex box full of human kindness and empathy?

That society has failed me or that I'm a by-product of a toxic environment doesn't justify me loading a gun and plunging full-bore into a James-Holmes-esque sporadic shoot-out. It also doesn't justify the unprofessional and churlish behaviour of nurses.

Let's call a spade a spade rather than a mere work tool. Things can only improve after we must have acknowledged that there indeed is a problem. And the nursing profession – and pretty much every sector in the nation – is one plagued with a mound of Charley horses.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Gracious10: 4:03pm On Nov 30, 2016
This is a beautiful thread and only those with open mind can see that.

People's experiences, neglect of healthcare system in Nigeria and wonderful nurses trying to explain what actually goes on.
It would be useless after all these complaints, we sit around and do nothing. When I read people's posts, I try to figure out their talking points and by God's grace I have read this thread couple of times already because I just don't want to have my own opinion, I also want to see what others have to say and some have been very strong in their opinions about nurses, it's very disheartening and deeply troubling that this noble profession is viewed very negatively.

I have taken time to deduct the problem of compassionate care, well that's what this thread is about, so can we bury the hatchet and face solutions.
Nurses feel like they doing their best while the masses disagree.

So everyone complaining, how can Nurses serve you better?
Bear in mind of all the rules and regulations breathing down the Nurses neck, the extra heavy workload they have to carry, the ratio of one nurse to a patient, the lack of continous education for nurses,lack of equipments, so many improvise sutuations, so in this awesome Jungle of Nigeria, how can Nurses do better?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by TV01(m): 4:18pm On Nov 30, 2016
Gracious10:
Hearts in the right place, but this problem is systemic. The issues within the nursing profession are mostly symptomatic. A real long-term fix at branch level will be unsustainable without a corresponding one at root. Otherwise they'll be no more than palliative measures really - pun intended. grin

TV

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Nov 30, 2016
Gracious10:
This is a beautiful thread and only those with open mind can see that.

People's experiences, neglect of healthcare system in Nigeria and wonderful nurses trying to explain what actually goes on.
It would be useless after all these complaints, we sit around and do nothing. When I read people's posts, I try to figure out their talking points and by God's grace I have read this thread couple of times already because I just don't want to have my own opinion, I also want to see what others have to say and some have been very strong in their opinions about nurses, it's very disheartening and deeply troubling that this noble profession is viewed very negatively.

I have taken time to deduct the problem of compassionate care, well that's what this thread is about, so can we bury the hatchet and face solutions.
Nurses feel like they doing their best while the masses disagree.

Bear in mind of all the rules and regulations breathing down the Nurses neck, the extra heavy workload they have to carry, the ratio of one nurse to a patient, the lack of continous education for nurses,lack of equipments, so many improvise sutuations, So in this awesome Jungle of Nigeria, how can Nurses do better?

They can start by wearing a tender heart on their sleeves when conducting their ministrations.

No one is asking that they become St. Theresa of Lisieux -- all we ask for are ink drops of compassion, and that they begin to treat patients like humans. We know it's hard and the non-existence of incentives makes it even harder, but still, it's not impossible.

The most consequential of life's episodes often begin with the simplest of events. Nurses should strive toward these simple things first.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Richy4(m): 5:33pm On Nov 30, 2016
I just want to comment on the maturity of people on this thread.....No insult, no childish display like other sections....Constructive criticism....what else can anyone ask for from Nigerians... cool

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by TheArchangel(f): 7:01pm On Nov 30, 2016
Richy4:
I just want to comment on the maturity of people on this thread.....No insult, no childish display like other sections....Constructive criticism....what else can anyone ask for from Nigerians... cool
tongue tongue
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Nov 30, 2016
Richy4:

My brother take an E-HUG from me please....for this post....I don't even wanna comment anymore...If my own blood sister can smile and ignore a pregnant woman because she did not bring a hand glove and soap etc as if nothing happened, what else can I say...
I can just remember when she first started...The first time she encountered a dead body as a student,they ask them to deposit the body @ the morgue, she came back home really sick for two week because of the shock...I can remember my grandma..God rest her soul, telling her to quit, that she was too young to be carrying dead body....My mum was like...that's enough do not go there again....My dad was the only one that told her to be strong that others were doing it..she too can do it...I remembered me and my big bro laughing our heads off.....We never knew the profession will block her feelings like i witnessed...is it because they are now used to seeing people die or what....I don't just get it

I have seen more dead bodies than I have given injections. It doesn't matter if you have seen too many or too few...you must try and put yourself in that person's/family's shoes...that will help you..help them deal with their grief/loss/ill health. I always say to myself ...what if this person was my dad(RIP) or my mum? would I let them suffer when I can do more?
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Nov 30, 2016
DarkRebel101:

The truth is only a matter of perspective. Maybe if you tried putting yourself in her shoes so as to understand why she comes across as embittered, perhaps you would see some icicles of reason in what she's saying.

That's one of my points. If you decide to be uncaring towards your patients because the government throws nothing at you then you shouldn't be a nurse AT ALL. The thread she's talking about I viewed as a guest for a long time and only commented when I read some nurses saying their patients were ungrateful and show no appreciation. One said a patient gave one doctor money but didn't give her and how anyone expects her to care for them when she's not appreciated. The self entitled mentality. If you want to be worshipped by all means go open up a business and be the boss.

Instead of you to query why the patient was giving a doctor money, you are busy wondering why he didn't send some money your way too AFTER THE WAY YOU CARED FOR THE-very ungrateful person the nurse said. It's your job to care for them. You chose to be a nurse, you chose to do the job, no one forced you, it's no charity organization. YOU ARE DOING YOUR JOB

The problem is when you table this issues before them, they go on the defensive...just read this thread and see for yourself. How can they learn or be better when they don't think they have done/are doing anything wrong?...and if they call it obsession I am obliged to continue to exercise my obsessive rights grin

DarkRebel101:

They can start by wearing a tender heart on their sleeves when conducting their ministrations.
No one is asking that they become St. Theresa of Lisieux -- all we ask for are ink drops of compassion, and that they begin to treat patients like humans. We know it's hard and the non-existence of incentives makes it even harder, but still, it's not impossible.
The most consequential of life's episodes often begin with the simplest of events. Nurses should strive toward these simple things first.

I know a nurse here whose name is "Light of my life ". A patient gave her that name. The patient said each time she came into the room she had this smile on her face that could light up the world..that she(patient) sometimes forgets that she is sick for a minute. The patient said the nurse was just too attentive to her needs.

It does not take much to impact another's life positively and I mentioned it several posts back that the care nurses render to the patients will remain with these patients for a long time. For example, this woman who said she forgets she's sick whenever that nurse walked into her room

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Nobody: 12:08am On Dec 01, 2016
I have the MOST respect to Nigerian nurses (but I've only worked with the ones here in the US)..NONE have EVER made me feel that way when I worked under them, especially Hospital nurses..out of all the African nurses I worked with, they were my favorite!! So intelligent & compassionate..usually they were talking ME down to keep from cussing rude patients!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Nobody: 12:37am On Dec 01, 2016
WellEndowed:

That's one of my points. If you decide to be uncaring towards your patients because the government throws nothing at you then you shouldn't be a nurse AT ALL

They need to read the story of St. Cosmos and Damian. These were two selfless twin brothers and medical doctors who chose not to receive payment for the services they rendered. It was for this reason they were dubbed enargyroi—the penniless ones. And never for once did they whine about it.

It's only when one's love for money surpasses one's love for his-her profession that such a person goes about plying his trade with a grouchy attitude and a boorish smirk on the face.

Instead of you to query why the patient was giving a doctor money, you are busy wondering why he didn't send some money your way too AFTER THE WAY YOU CARED FOR THE-very ungrateful person the nurse said. It's your job to care for them. You chose to be a nurse, you chose to do the job, no one forced you, it's no charity organization. YOU ARE DOING YOUR JOB

It's only in Naija that one would execute a job he-she is being paid to do and still expect to collect egunjé.

The problem is when you table this issues before them, they go on the defensive...just read this thread and see for yourself. How can they learn or be better when they don't think they have done/are doing anything wrong?...and if they call it obsession I am obliged to continue to exercise my obsessive rights grin

People go rah-rah when their ideals and beliefs are challenged. It's normal.

And by all means, do fire away. Stretch your obsessive rights to its elastic limit. grin

I know a nurse here whose name is "Light of my life ". A patient gave her that name. The patient said each time she came into the room she had this smile on her face that could light up the world..that she(patient) sometimes forgets that she is sick for a minute. The patient said the nurse was just too attentive to her needs.

It does not take much to impact another's life positively and I mentioned it several posts back that the care nurses render to the patients will remain with these patients for a long time. For example, this woman who said she forgets she's sick whenever that nurse walked into her room

Light of my life probably has its roots in Florence Nightingale's “A lady with the lamp” title. cheesy

The placebo effects of a nurse's smile is almost as old as civilization itself. Many Naija nurses are blind to the basic tricks of their trade. It's a pity.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Gracious10: 2:31pm On Dec 01, 2016
This is serious o cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Help Save Baby Tomi / Father Of A New Baby Should Be Given Monetary Gift, Not The Mother- Nigerian Man / Class Discrimination: When Will It End?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.