Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,773 members, 7,798,581 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:28 AM

Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? (11148 Views)

Nine Nurses In The Same Labour Unit All Pregnant At Same Time In Maine Hospital / Something Common To Most Nigerian Households Parents And Guardians / Opinion: Mothers Tend To Live Longer Than Fathers In Most Nigerian Homes. Why (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Gracious10: 2:35pm On Dec 01, 2016
This is serious o!

Nigerians don not like their nurses at all, kai but it's the solution that matters.

Compassionate care is what keeps ringing out loud here, Nurses please smile, smile, smile, show some kindness, even under pressure, please be polite and yes no yelling at patients, they are there for help. That's all Nigerians needs from you.

Secondly, don't expect patients to give you money to appreciate you, thank you is very enough and fulfilling even when you don't get thank you, still do your job with all diligence , that's another thing Nigerians wants. Be selfless in your Jobs.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by cococandy(f): 3:21pm On Dec 01, 2016
Thank you smiley
badejob:
I have the MOST respect to Nigerian nurses (but I've only worked with the ones here in the US)..NONE have EVER made me feel that way when I worked under them, especially Hospital nurses..out of all the African nurses I worked with, they were my favorite!! So intelligent & compassionate..usually they were talking ME down to keep from cussing rude patients!!
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by cococandy(f): 3:36pm On Dec 01, 2016
It doesn't say in their contract that they will be owed months and months of salary and still be threatened with joblessness is they chose to protest.

Again.
Not supporting bad nurses. But constructive criticism please.
Richy4:

I wanted to ignore you but I just couldn't...
I just want to ask you these questions....
Before you got hired for a job, don't you read the job description and what was expected of you?

Before you got hired, don't the employer usually tell you the amount they were offering to pay for your services?

why would anyone read a job description and accept the offer and would not do what was assigned or expected of him or her to do properly...

If the pay was small, is it not wise for them to wait for a vacancy to arise in a place where they will be paid millions with smiling allowances and kindness grants...Instead of accepting an offer and start inflicting more pain to people that were already in pains

Or are you trying to tell me that Nigerian employers do not stipulate what was expected of the employee in black and white when advertising for a vacant position; or that the payment was not stated during the interview...they just decided to pay the candidate whatever without his or her knowledge; or that they do not do some kind of orientation to the newbies telling them the successful candidates where they are and what the challenges they will face and expectations from the employers....In as much as I agree that there are difficult patients,..the attitude of some nurses are just inexcusable...

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by cococandy(f): 3:41pm On Dec 01, 2016
20% of 100k Naira can't even buy you a bag of rice.

Is that one salary? Tell me how the person can afford decent housing. Much less kids schools fees feeding and the rest.

It's less than $300. Even Walmart employees make more than that about 1-2 weeks.

Our system is in shambles let's not sugarcoat it.

Mayflowa:
@Gracious10
The easiest thing to show is care! You don't have to be a nurse to show it. It costs you nothing! But for nurses, it is expected of you to show abundance of care.

As per salary, nurses receive on of the best salary package in federal and state institutions . A federal ministry entry level starts with N58,000 be you an engineer, accountant or microbiologist. Entry level Nurses starts with more than 100k. So I don't know how nurses are treated unfairly.

If you say they learnt from their older colleagues, I will understand but that is no excuse because we should correct the bad norms of the past. More so, this is love-driven profession.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Gracious10: 3:58pm On Dec 01, 2016
cococandy:

Is that one salary? Tell me how the person can afford decent housing. Much less kids schools fees feeding and the rest.

It's less than $300. Even Walmart employees make more than that about 1-2 weeks.

Thank you jare, walmart employees make more than that!!, even CNAS make 3-4 times that.
And no one sees anything wrong in salary situation of Nigerian Nurses.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 01, 2016
Classic three-point profile of the typical Black man: play the blame-game, play the blame-game, and play the blame-game some more.

The Nigerian educational system is equally a Bermuda Triangle of unprintable tragedies. So don't blame your children when they fail in school or when they can't read or write fluently. Rather you should give them a pat on the back and impute all blame to the Government.

Bollocks to all the nurse apologists. People with your kind of mindset are why the Black race as a whole are forever going to be playing catch-up to their European counterparts.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Mayflowa(m): 4:26pm On Dec 01, 2016
cococandy:

I do not doubt what you have said. Times are really hard in Nigeria especially with the galloping inflation. True, I earn twice more as a Graduate Assistant in US than I do as a federal senior staff in Nigeria. But my one month housing also cover one year housing bills in Nigeria. I also do not pay $100+ insurance monthly for owning a car as I do here. Generally living index in US is still far far better off.

However, my statement was in comparison of nurses' salaries to their corresponding entry level staff in same federal govt Ministry job which is 58k. State is even less. In my state, Edo, it is 35k for entry level graduate. On same scale, nurses are way better off than many workers and they should be thankful for it.

If two people who earn 100k+ in Nigeria get married and pool their resources together, they won't really suffer except they are extravagant. Even 100k+ for a single nurse is enough to live well. In Nigeria, my bag of rice lasts me more than 10 months. Or do you want to blame the Government instead of the people who decided to give birth to numerous children and live their lives tolling for their kids? US peeps give birth to one or two children. Have you seen a couple or mother with one child suffer?

Nigeria will never save even in recession. I still see extravagant marriages every Saturday? Like what can change our lifestyle? seriously? It is until we die?

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Mayflowa(m): 4:30pm On Dec 01, 2016
DarkRebel101:
Classic three-point profile of the typical Black man: play the blame-game, play the blame-game, and play the blame-game some more.

The Nigerian educational system is equally a Bermuda Triangle of unprintable tragedies. So don't blame your children when they fail in school or when they can't read or write fluently. Rather you should give them a pat on the back and impute all blame to the Government.

Bollocks to all the nurse apologists. People with your kind of mindset are why the African race as a whole are forever going to be playing catch-up to their European counterparts.

You are so wise. I like you
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Mayflowa(m): 4:45pm On Dec 01, 2016
cococandy:
Thank you smiley

You just thanked badejob for exactly the character trait we want nurses to display here in Nigeria without excuse of any sort. Is it too much to ask? Of course people and the system will frustrate you but a core professional with a grain of empathy will always show care.

I am not a nurse, I have had over 1000+ post on my 6year on nairaland. Could you please check if you found any of my post insulting or derogatory to people here. Even when I am insulted directly, I still find a way to pass my message politely or just let go. This is hard but its a winning character trait
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Dec 01, 2016
Mayflowa:

You are so wise. I like you

When Chaerephon went to inquire from the Pythian oracle at Delphi whether Socrates was the wisest man in Athens or not, the oracle asserted that Socrates was indeed the wisest man in not just Athens but in all of Greece.

But when Socrates caught a whiff of Chaerephon's exploits, he withstayed the pronouncement of the oracle. He said he wasn't wise and had never felt wise in his entire life. And in order to disprove the oracle, he – Socrates – sallied forth to have debates and symposiums with many of Athens' keenest minds: the rhetoricians, the Sophists, the politicians, the renowned artisans, etcetera.

After much debates with these people, Socrates discovered that they weren't really wise and that they in fact held high pretensions to knowledge -- yet they were who society saw as monoliths of wisdom. To worsen matters, they weren't even aware that they were shrouded in ignorance.

Then Socrates realized that perhaps there was some sliver of plausibility in the Oracle's words. Because even though he didn't think he knew anything, he was certain and fully aware of his ignorance, unlike the so-called intelligentsia of Athens.

This led him to say:

“I know that I know nothing”Socrates in Plato's Apology

So, Mr. Mayflora, inasmuch as I would love nothing more than to be bedizened with the dainty laurels of wisdom, I cannot accept the honors because just like Socrates whom I greatly admire and extol, I do not believe that I am wise. What I am is an ordinary thinking reed. grin

I hope you enjoyed the little history lesson? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by cococandy(f): 6:39pm On Dec 01, 2016
I do not have anything against the message of professional behavior.

I thanked him for showing that it's not a genetic behavior among Nigerians.

And I have not doubted your politeness.

Mayflowa:

You just thanked badejob for exactly the character trait we want nurses to display here in Nigeria without excuse of any sort. Is it too much to ask? Of course people and the system will frustrate you but a core professional with a grain of empathy will always show care.

I am not a nurse, I have had over 1000+ post on my 6year on nairaland. Could you please check if you found any of my post insulting or derogatory to people here. Even when I am insulted directly, I still find a way to pass my message politely or just let go. This is hard but its a winning character trait
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by cococandy(f): 6:48pm On Dec 01, 2016
Mayflowa:

I do not doubt what you have said. Times are really hard in Nigeria especially with the galloping inflation. True, I earn twice more as a Graduate Assistant in US than I do as a federal senior staff in Nigeria. But my one month housing also cover one year housing bills in Nigeria. I also do not pay $100+ insurance monthly for owning a car as I do here. Generally living index in US is still far far better off.

However, my statement was in comparison of nurses' salaries to their corresponding entry level staff in same federal govt Ministry job which is 58k. State is even less. In my state, Edo, it is 35k for entry level graduate. On same scale, nurses are way better off than many workers and they should be thankful for it.

If two people who earn 100k+ in Nigeria get married and pool their resources together, they won't really suffer except they are extravagant. Even 100k+ for a single nurse is enough to live well. In Nigeria, my bag of rice lasts me more than 10 months. Or do you want to blame the Government instead of the people who decided to give birth to numerous children and live their lives tolling for their kids? US peeps give birth to one or two children. Have you seen a couple or mother with one child suffer?

Nigeria will never save even in recession. I still see extravagant marriages every Saturday? Like what can change our lifestyle? seriously? It is until we die?

@bold, Lol that one is story for another day. cheesy

And believe me I agree with many of your submissions.
My role in this thread is not to antagonize those calling for better behavior.

I'm here to balance the equation.

While we are saying the one, let's not forget the other.
We are mostly nurses in my family so it's personal to me.
if someone is only focusing on the wrong we are doing but not calling for better conditions for us, it seems one-sided to me.

It's however not a justification for unprofessional attitude.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Gracious10: 7:16pm On Dec 01, 2016
Cococandy, you are a Nurse? Interesting. Now I know why you make all those delicious meals. grin
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by cococandy(f): 7:46pm On Dec 01, 2016
Gracious10:
Cococandy, you are a Nurse? Interesting. Now I know why you make all those delicious meals. grin
What's the connection? grin
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Dec 01, 2016
I have been following this thread and decided to make my contribution eventually.
Since I have spent most of my life abroad in a developed country with a pretty good healthcare system, I will speak based on my personal experience abroad.

Even though the nurses and doctors here work under pretty good conditions - they have stress too but not like Nigerian nurses and doctors - and even though they are paid pretty well, there is something about the hospital atmosphere that makes many of the people working there lose some of their sanity. I have spent a lot of time in hospitals witnessing the physical decline of a relative and I have met some very nice nurses and doctors but I have also met many cold-hearted people who in the midst of numerous diseases, sufferings and death incidents numbed over the years and possibly developed coping mechanisms which manifest themselves in the form of some form of repudiation and cold-heartedness.

My mother has always wanted me to become a medical doctor. I thank God I never listened to her. I hate hospitals with a passion.

Having said that, I feel for patients in Nigerian hospitals and also for the people working there. If nurses and doctors find it hard to retain their humanness and compassion in a well-established and maintained system, how much more people in a system that is a mess?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Gracious10: 8:55pm On Dec 01, 2016
cococandy:

What's the connection? grin

Lol, na ur food save my belle, Nurses are good cooks...
You just wan use food scatter my eyes shocked
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by cococandy(f): 9:29pm On Dec 01, 2016
Thank you smiley

Gracious10:

Lol, na ur food save my belle, Nurses are good cooks...
You just wan use food scatter my eyes shocked
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Mayflowa(m): 9:39pm On Dec 01, 2016
DarkRebel101:

When Chaerephon went to inquire from the Pythian oracle at Delphi whether Socrates was the wisest man in Athens or not, the oracle asserted that Socrates was indeed the wisest man in not just Athens but in all of Greece.

But when Socrates caught a whiff of Chaerephon's exploits, he withstayed the pronouncement of the oracle. He said he wasn't wise and had never felt wise in his entire life. And in order to disprove the oracle, he – Socrates – sallied forth to have debates and symposiums with many of Athens' keenest minds: the rhetoricians, the Sophists, the politicians, the renowned artisans, etcetera.

After much debates with these people, Socrates discovered that they weren't really wise and that they in fact held high pretensions to knowledge -- yet they were who society saw as monoliths of wisdom. To worsen matters, they weren't even aware that they were shrouded in ignorance.

Then Socrates realized that perhaps there was some sliver of plausibility in the Oracle's words. Because even though he didn't think he knew anything, he was certain and fully aware of his ignorance, unlike the so-called intelligentsia of Athens.

This led him to say:

“I know that I know nothing”Socrates in Plato's Apology

So, Mr. Mayflora, inasmuch as I would love nothing more than to be bedizened with the dainty laurels of wisdom, I cannot accept the honors because just like Socrates whom I greatly admire and extol, I do not believe that I am wise. What I am is an ordinary thinking reed. grin

I hope you enjoyed the little history lesson? cheesy

lol. This just confirm your wisdom. Man should know thyself. Only this morning I saved some URL highlighting some philosophers and their works Socrates, Plato and Einstein inclusive, I am perplexed you already know their history. You deserve some pat on the back.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Nobody: 1:26am On Dec 02, 2016
DarkRebel101:

Bollocks to all the nurse apologists. People with your kind of mindset are why the Black race as a whole are forever going to be playing catch-up to their European counterparts.

Fantastic.

Sir/Madam are you married? are you single and looking for a nice young woman/man to marry. I have single cousins ready to mingle cheesy grin. Just let me know ya preference. I can "cater" for whatever you need grin.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by Nobody: 7:32am On Dec 02, 2016
WellEndowed:

Fantastic.

Sir/Madam are you married? are you single and looking for a nice young woman/man to marry. I have single cousins ready to mingle cheesy grin. Just let me know ya preference. I can "cater" for whatever you need grin.

I'm a sir, and no, I'm not ready to mingle just yet. grin

When I am, I would let you know. Bear in mind that the queen of my preferences is that SHE must have a hourglass shape. Do your cousins have that? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Nurses Inconsiderate And Uncompassionate? by babythug(f): 10:28am On Dec 02, 2016
TheArchangel:
Y'all can see from the first statement. She is the desk officer, the receptionist, cashier, doctor, cleaner, nurse and even the gateman .....oh come on on an IMMUNIZATION DAY OF ALL DAYS embarassed embarassed. Cut that nurse some slack. Truth is even coming out.
So help me God!! If I am doing all that you listed, sincerely and honestly, I won't talk to you, I won't scream or shout....I will point for you to wait till I am done no matter how long it takes. Enquires you say!! then wait!! !! !!.

Ah the work isn't like that oh! She basically just registers incoming people and inputs data on the cards that's all.

There's a gate man and no one pays cash there per se.

Another nurse gives the injections.

There's a different section for people who are unwell and so on!

Didn't see a cleaner but perhaps they have one or two there!

Sisi Archangel take it easy oh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is It True That Married Women From Benue State Don't Forbid Adultery? / How Do I Kill This Appetite Without Commiting Adultery Or Sin? / After Childbirth How Long Can You Wait Before Sexual Intercourse???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.