Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,049 members, 7,799,551 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:57 AM

Should You Wear Perfume To Work? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should You Wear Perfume To Work? (12146 Views)

Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps / “I Slay In My Military Uniform Just The Same Way I Slay In My Civil Wear” / Lady Sacked For Not Wearing Bra To Work In US (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by Jemishades: 9:52am On Nov 28, 2016
We all know that an employee must have personal hygiene. No company will want an employee who cannot present him/herself. Personal hygiene as a whole lot to do with your appearance and also you smell. I am not talking about you having a bad odour, I mean too much perfume/cologne.

It is important in a professional setup for an employee to maintain decorum, this is also applicable especially in the matter of personal grooming habits. One of the major factors of physical appearance is the perfume one wears.

Have you ever felt irritated by the intensity of a colleague's perfume? Well, I have. A number of people wear perfume not just because of personal hygiene, some just do it as a way of seeking attention, the bad kind.

In some states in the US, there is a legal move to outlaw perfumes in the workplace. Some private companies have even banned it. Now for us in Nigeria, it hasn't gotten to that point yet (I haven't heard of anything like that).

I think placing a ban of perfume is just excessive and rigid.But if we don't want our companies to start making policies like that, we should be mindful of how we wear perfume.

The principle of avoiding strong fragrances at the workplace is justified to a certain extent as it might cause a distraction to other employees. But one does not need to ban it altogether.

We should be able to wear perfume as long as it doesn’t cause anyone inconvenience. But it is difficult to determine what kind of perfume is workplace friendly.

What to be kept in mind while wearing perfume at work?

It is important to realise that the convenience of the colleagues in the workplace has to be taken into consideration. The employee needs to keep in mind the sensitivity of the people who work with him. The colleagues in close proximity to him can inhale the fragrance which will linger in the air for a long period of time. Excessive fragrance can cause nasal irritation, nausea, dizziness, headaches, and breathing problems. One might not be aware of a colleague’s health problems hence it’s better to keep the perfume subtle.

At times, it is not always the perfume which is the culprit. There are various laundry detergents, shampoos, soaps, and fragrant makeup products which may be responsible for emitting a strong smell. Therefore it is not always necessary that wearing perfumes must be avoided. One should take care if his hygiene products are not too fragrant.

Another reason why wearing strong perfume at work is not advisable is because it draws a lot of attention to the person wearing it. While passing by a co-worker or even on walking into the board room, people present will immediately notice the presence of such a person. This kind of attention gives a wrong impression of the employee. According to workplace etiquette, such people seek attention to make their presence felt. This can create a negative impression in the minds of the head of the company as well as the manager. Consequently, one should avoid strong fragrances at work.

Use of perfume is a personal hygiene of certain people. It avoids body odour and emits a pleasing smell. Excess of anything is unfavourable and same is the case in the use of perfume as well. When an employee’s perfume is causing discomfort to someone, the manager can bring it to his notice in a polite manner. This will avoid any kind of miscommunication between the manager and the employee. At the same time, the workplace environment will not be very strict; instead, it’ll be a healthy one.

Source: https://www.yarnmi.com/should-you-wear-perfume-to-work

4 Likes

Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by TINALETC3(f): 6:54am On Nov 30, 2016
As usual I refuse to b FTC, am sure d person below me hv sometin to say tongue
Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by Daniel058(m): 6:54am On Nov 30, 2016
Ftc biko,

I don settle that lady above With something....

✌️ cool

GUYS K'AYI NUBA MMANYA!..

1 Like

Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by VickyRotex(f): 6:54am On Nov 30, 2016
Daniel058:
Ftc

Wake up!

2 Likes

Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by PayBoyXclusives(m): 6:55am On Nov 30, 2016
Depends on the fragrance, if you wear those konfor konfor or dead body perfume probably because it's cheap don't be surprised when you receive a query or sack letter

22 Likes

Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by wisolf(m): 6:55am On Nov 30, 2016
As a mining engineer,i wouldn't dare wear perfume to work cos I might end up stung to death by honeybees.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by ChappyChase: 6:55am On Nov 30, 2016
Yes to me, all perfume are work place friendly Except HAUSA PERFUME!!!!!!!!!!!!

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by Nobody: 6:55am On Nov 30, 2016
You mean spray perfume?

Mynd44 day don break
Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by maxwell767(m): 6:56am On Nov 30, 2016
grin
Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by Daniel058(m): 6:56am On Nov 30, 2016
TINALETC3:
I don first write Ftc and na only dot u put..

Girls no suppose the follow men fight for FTC

OYA DELETE YOUR COMENT grin

1 Like

Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by 2el(m): 6:57am On Nov 30, 2016
No, you don't need perfume.....
use insecticide instead.... grin

5 Likes

Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by Nutase: 6:57am On Nov 30, 2016
Why not but with moderation. cool

5 Likes

Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by TVTKOKO(m): 6:57am On Nov 30, 2016
Mehn.. If you come down North eh,, the kain body spray wey this abokiis dey use fit choke you to death.. It's as if they bath inside it

17 Likes

Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by Daniel058(m): 6:57am On Nov 30, 2016
VickyRotex:

Wake up!
i have done that already, that's why I remain the Ftc grin
Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by Nobody: 6:57am On Nov 30, 2016
Buhari may start collecting perfume/body spray VAT from all workers.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by Psyrus(m): 6:58am On Nov 30, 2016
Can't wait for them to ban it in my office joor, you'll think you're in a brothel working in an environment with more ladies can be tiring sha

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by PayBoyXclusives(m): 6:58am On Nov 30, 2016
Keneking:
You mean spray perfume?

Mynd44 day don break

It's wear not spray **** grin

13 Likes

Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by kasend(m): 6:58am On Nov 30, 2016
Am just imagining
Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by xarm(m): 6:59am On Nov 30, 2016
see this two agbaya fighting for ftc early this morning
Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by afo86: 6:59am On Nov 30, 2016
Dia is no crime in that... But minimal
Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by Araoluwa005(m): 6:59am On Nov 30, 2016
let everything be done moderately, decently and in orderly. including perfume

1 Like

Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by yaki84: 6:59am On Nov 30, 2016
u dnt need to wear it to work, carry am for head waka.

Ayam tayad of this kind kwestion.
Iyammmmi......
Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by Mirahcul: 6:59am On Nov 30, 2016
For me harsh perfumes is a huge turnoff, imagine a colleague spraying those kind of perfumes that chokes you.
A mild perfume with a nice smell does the magic anytime, any day.

3 Likes

Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by TINALETC3(f): 7:00am On Nov 30, 2016
grin,I wl delete it 2moro
Daniel058:
I don first write Ftc and na only dot u put..

Girls no suppose the follow men fight for FTC

OYA DELETE YOUR COMENT grin
Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by AntiWailer: 7:00am On Nov 30, 2016
Yes but not Hausa perfume.

Wear perfume but not the ones that they use for embalming dead bodies.

Mild lovely smell. Datz all.

Hausa Perfume is any perfume that can choke somebori to death.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by Chidonc(m): 7:00am On Nov 30, 2016
Is it ok for airforce1 to spray perfume to the studio, airfoce1 over to u.
Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by Marvel1206: 7:01am On Nov 30, 2016
PayBoyXclusives:

It's wear not spray Ode grin
Lol grin
Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by TINALETC3(f): 7:01am On Nov 30, 2016
Which one is Hausa perfume biko?
AntiWailer:
Yes but not Hausa perfume.

Use perfume but not the ones that they use to embalming dead bodies.

Mild lovely smell. Datz all.
Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by emymeeky: 7:02am On Nov 30, 2016
grin
Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by homesteady(m): 7:02am On Nov 30, 2016
TINALETC3:
Which one is Hausa perfume biko?

Lmaooooo!
If you spray Hausa perfume in Lagos, someone in Abuja would be perceiving it grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by Akinaukwa: 7:02am On Nov 30, 2016
What irritates me most is the perfume some even apply seems to be meant for embalming corpses cos of the strong nauhty odour.

1 Like

Re: Should You Wear Perfume To Work? by ashewoboy(m): 7:04am On Nov 30, 2016
we have a lot of clowns on nairalandcheesy. it makes nairaland a fun place. just look at their comments.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prince 2 And CISA Candidates For 2009 / 3 Helpful Tips On How Low Income Earners Can Survive In Lagos / How To Join Nigerian Institute Of Public Relations, NIPR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.