Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,719 members, 7,802,167 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:19 AM

The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja (14935 Views)

NASU/NAAT/SSANU: Strike grounds Nigeria's public universities / Former SUG President Of Uniabuja 06/07 re-called after 12 Years Of Expulsion. / Decay In Public Schools In Akwa Ibom (Photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by Nobody: 1:03pm On Nov 28, 2016
Nigeria’s educational system at present is in near comatose due to certain policy default and implementational lapses. The policy makers are jumping up and down chasing shadows instead of living up to expectations geared at making our education sector work. one of the well known reasons why the former remains at status quo is due to the fact that the ‘Big Men’ engage their wards in the best and finest private schools in the country and often – in schools outside the shores of the country.

During my time as an undergraduate at the University of Abuja, the only government owned university in the nation’s seat of power; it was one hell of nasty experience. Life as an undergraduate should be something every secondary school leaver wishes to experience – due to the fun and independent life undergraduates experience at that level. No doubt, I was fully of optimism when I boarded the bus to the nation’s seat of capital to start my university education. I was in full spirit and at the same time, weary of challenges that will come my way.

Educational policies made by the authorities must be implemented to the latter as to ensure maximum result. Where needed policies are lacking, it is expected that such ones be drafted and put in place, for the betterment of the system. University of Abuja, due to its close proximity to the nation’s capital, should be used as a pilot school to test run some already made and to-be-made policies. Optimum monitoring should also be ensured.

It took me six years to graduate from the higher institution, which shouldn’t ordinarily exceed four years. Then, ASUU strike took a year off our academic calendar, and the rest one year was used in getting my grades and data computed by lecturers in my department. Challenge them as to why you should remind them of the jobs they needed to do, then, you begin to hear things like “We own the school, and we do as we please.” Imagine a scenario where a lecturer does not compute your grades at the end of each examination and expects you to remind him so the work will be done. One of the papers I wrote in my second semester in school, came back to haunt me in my last semester as an undergraduate. An inconsequential USE OF LIBRARY with a 1point grade – so I thought. I never knew the course lecturer intentionally did not record down my grade and many others, due to the fact that we didn’t come to “dust his chair”; if we had realized on time, we could have even washed the chair after-all. To make matters worse, the subject wasn’t reflecting in our yearly released results either as carryover course or an outstanding course. Well, my personal experience will be tales for another day.

With the very high funds accrued to Education in 2016 (and others) Budget, one would think that the dead system will be revived. The leader of this nation should give great attention to developing the great minds that abounds in Nigeria through Education. Educational grants should also be introduced into the system. Scholarships should be created, to cater for the ever growing bright minds that cannot sponsor themselves through school.

http://www.dubemnaija.com/2016/11/the-decay-in-nigerias-public.html

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by Nobody: 2:53pm On Nov 28, 2016
grin grin grin grin

IgboRulesOthers Come an see ya school people ooo!!!
Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by Nobody: 2:53pm On Nov 28, 2016
Hmmm

Good article really....and much needed.

It took me six years to graduate from the higher institution, which shouldn’t ordinarily exceed four years. Then, ASUU strike took a year off our academic calendar, and the rest one year was used in getting my grades and data computed by lecturers in my department. Challenge them as to why you should remind them of the jobs they needed to do, then, you begin to hear things like “We own the school, and we do as we please.” Imagine a scenario where a lecturer does not compute your grades at the end of each examination and expects you to remind him so the work will be done. One of the papers I wrote in my second semester in school, came back to haunt me in my last semester as an undergraduate. An inconsequential USE OF LIBRARY with a 1point grade – so I thought. I never knew the course lecturer intentionally did not record down my grade and many others, due to the fact that we didn’t come to “dust his chair”; if we had realized on time, we could have even washed the chair after-all. To make matters worse, the subject wasn’t reflecting in our yearly released results either as carryover course or an outstanding course. Well, my personal experience will be tales for another day.

And the funny thing is that he is not making it up!

With the very high funds accrued to Education in 2016 (and others) Budget, one would think that the dead system will be revived. The leader of this nation should give great attention to developing the great minds that abounds in Nigeria through Education. Educational grants should also be introduced into the system. Scholarships should be created, to cater for the ever growing bright minds that cannot sponsor themselves through school.

Education needs far more money than it was allocated in the budget. Infact....it needs far more money than the current budget to fix things completely.

1 Like

Ok...details not enough, arguments not clear, no solution recommended.

20 Likes

Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by Moreoffaith(m): 2:54pm On Nov 28, 2016
The sector need a reform..
Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by ayodejijoshua(m): 2:54pm On Nov 28, 2016
na so nigeria don spoil like that
Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by ayoprincz(m): 2:54pm On Nov 28, 2016
hmmmmmmm
ok oooo
Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by admax(m): 2:54pm On Nov 28, 2016
The University of Abuja has to be a huge and monumental disappointment to the educational system in this country.

Thousands of people would have loved to enroll for their postgraduates courses required by employees or civil servants to have better certifications but most would rather travel to Nassarawa State University than stay in Abuja.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by miteolu(m): 2:54pm On Nov 28, 2016
Very Soon Education Sector will be fully privatized.

Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by tym92(m): 2:54pm On Nov 28, 2016
k
Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by passyhansome(m): 2:55pm On Nov 28, 2016
Nigeria pays little or no attention to the educational sector, how do we grow, if Nigeria wants to grow, then drastic attention and measure should be devised. Education is the Bedrock on which every developed nation was built.

Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by tundafayaBuhari: 2:55pm On Nov 28, 2016
Buhari is a curse to Nigeria QED

1 Like

Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by Nobody: 2:55pm On Nov 28, 2016
First let me start off by saying Knowledge is power, the more knowledge you acquire the harder it is for you to be oppressed and exploited by the Government. All Government worldwide knows this hence, Education is left in shambles and dwindling state. Curriculum are barely reviewed up to date to suit current reform and trend in the world.

Let me break down that nonsense I just wrote above.

1- Think of Education as a Benz car, Benz in the 20th century was so crude and primitive but today we have 4matic,Gwagon and even Maybach from the same Benz.

2- Think of Education as the very first plane the wright brothers invented but today, we have bombardier, Air bus, Boeing etc.

Now

Education is the 17th century started and ended in the class room and gets you to believe a degree defines your intelligence through memorization and regurgitation on the exam paper. No advance change like that of the Benz and plane.

My Point is - If medicine was as static and class room based as school education, there wouldn't be sophisticated medicine and medical inventions that makes life better today in the 21st century.

Advice - Disregard the structure of the school, get the degree then go back on your own and start to teach yourself from the basic, question everything you have been taught and enlightening yourself. I don't know how to teach anybody but I can give you a tip by telling you to study the life of Socrates and emulate him. Period.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by Genea(f): 2:58pm On Nov 28, 2016
Its in every federal uni. Lecturers are gods

1 Like

Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by Oildichotomy(m): 2:58pm On Nov 28, 2016
It took me six years to graduate from the higher institution, which shouldn’t ordinarily exceed four years. Then, ASUU strike took a year off our academic calendar, and the rest one year was used in getting my grades and data computed by lecturers in my department. Challenge them as to why you should remind them of the jobs they needed to do, then, you begin to hear things like “We own the school, and we do as we please.” Imagine a scenario where a lecturer does not compute your grades at the end of each examination and expects you to remind him so the work will be done
This pretty much sums up the typical Nigerian university academic calender.

Nigerian Education System is dead, comatose is an understatement!

1 Like

Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by Alariwo2: 2:59pm On Nov 28, 2016
themonster what do you have to say?
still looking for more names to tag?
Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by Remilekun101: 2:59pm On Nov 28, 2016
Even here in Futa. Mtcheew

This December must be good, Check My Signature o jare

1 Like

Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by GoodMuyis(m): 2:59pm On Nov 28, 2016
Not Every Post made it to Front.

Well, Thats a result of Poor management culture, From Resources to Intellectual, just too poor.

Some even think they are sensible enough to control Resources tongue
Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by Laveda(f): 2:59pm On Nov 28, 2016
I wish things could get better regarding that sector, I don't know if there's any hope left.

Sometimes when I look at the way things are going, I can't help but ask myself how things are gonna turn out in 10years..

Education isn't taken seriously here, more attention is needed! you even graduate with good grades, still yet no job.

undecided God help us.
Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by Nicolars(m): 3:00pm On Nov 28, 2016
omo, na school gate be dat?

lol
Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by Segadem(m): 3:00pm On Nov 28, 2016
grinfirst to comment @ 3pm grin grin grin
Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by FuckYou: 3:01pm On Nov 28, 2016

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by brojoshua: 3:02pm On Nov 28, 2016
May be we should better study the decay in the life of each Nigerian first before the one in each Nigerian's family and so on
Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by hustla(m): 3:03pm On Nov 28, 2016
dubemnaija2:
[size=10pt][/size]

The same people that come online to abuse and criticize private schools. If you enter private school like CU today, you go know date and time wey u go graduate.

Una never see anything
Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by Rollinstone(m): 3:04pm On Nov 28, 2016
Op really nice article, My experience at uniabuja really made me sad,leaving my state to the nation capital really got me excited and I thought I was going to a school where there will be state of the art facilities but Alas we as Science Students really suffered a lot,Practical work was zero,no enough equipment n the lab complex was bad...we had to be grouped into 20 to carry out any lab work... Thank God the struggle is over but they seriously need to upgrade that school

1 Like

Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by AreaFada2: 3:05pm On Nov 28, 2016
Why do Nigerian universities always have those naff (tacky) arches over entry gates??

They just look like entrance to voodoo shrines. grin cheesy shocked tongue

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by davbravo(m): 3:05pm On Nov 28, 2016
dubemnaija2:
[size=10pt][/size]

hmm....na wa o...... don't tell me that's the Front gate of the institution....chaii
Re: The Decay In Nigeria's Public Educational System; A Case Study Of UniAbuja by nasfem22(m): 3:05pm On Nov 28, 2016
cry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sudan: Some Are Contributing Transport Fare To Egypt – Nigerian Student (Video) / Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities / Jamb Cbt Centres Demanding Money From Students Before Entry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.