Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,893 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:18 AM

Deji Of Akure Dethroned - Ordered To Vacate Palace Immediately - I Am Not Aware - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Deji Of Akure Dethroned - Ordered To Vacate Palace Immediately - I Am Not Aware (3258 Views)

Akure Youths Flogged Eze-ndigbo Out Of Deji Of Akure, Oba Aladetoyinbo Palace / Defection: Supreme Court Order Ondo House Of Rep To Vacate Sit. / Oba Olofa Of Offa Dethroned (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Deji Of Akure Dethroned - Ordered To Vacate Palace Immediately - I Am Not Aware by Nigerd(m): 8:52am On Nov 09, 2009
Deji of Akure dethroned - Ordered to vacate palace immediately - I am not aware - Deji

Yinka Oladoyinbo, Akure - 09.11.2009

THE four-year reign of Oba Oluwadare Adesina, Osupa III, as the Deji of Akure, came to an end on Sunday, as the Akure Traditional Council removed him from office over various allegations levelled against him.

The council has consequently requested Adesina to quit the palace immediately and hand over all items belonging to the Akure community, including the funds.

Adesina, who ascended the throne as the Deji of Akure on November 26, 2005 after almost 10 years of interregnum, was removed for allegedly conducting himself in a manner “unbefitting and in desecration of the much exalted, revered and respected throne of the Deji of Akureland.”

According to the resolution of the Akure Council of Chiefs, which includes the 17 traditional kingmakers that approved Adesina’s installation, various allegations had been levelled against him.

The resolution signed by the traditional Prime Minister of the town, Chief Folorunso Davies, the Olisa of Akure, the Odopetu of Akure, Chief M.A. Falade; the Elemo of Akure, Chief Bolanle Adedipe and others found the monarch guilty of the offences.

The council said some of the allegations levelled against Adesina were: “Violation of Akure tradition and custom by personally going to the market to disturb market women from performing their legitimate trading business and engaging in wanton and indiscriminate destruction of essential food items in the market.

“Flagrant breach of age long and hallowed custom of Akure that makes it mandatory for the Deji not to leave his official palace without the knowledge and concurrence of the chiefs.

“Oba Oluwadare Adepoju Adesina deliberately failed and refused to complete the traditional rites for the stool of the Deji of Akureland contrary to the tradition and custom of Akure, rendering his selection and appointment incomplete, in that he failed to give the Akure chiefs the traditional ‘Igbarunjo’.

“Incessant, rampant and re-curring cases of highhandedness, brutal and repressive oppression of the people in and around the Akure community.

“Oba Oluwadare Adepoju Adesina has been personally leading a team of recruited and sponsored thugs, gangsters, hoodlums and armed terrorists to people’s houses at the late hours of the night to inflict injuries on innocent citizens in the Akure community in his presence and at his instructions and directives.”

Apart from these, the council added that part of the allegations levelled against the Deji was desecrating the palace and grooming of a notorious gang known as “60 by 120” that was involved in land disputes.

Having carefully investigated the allegations levelled against him, the council said, “the entire members of the Akure Council of Chiefs and the Akure community have considered you as unfit, unworthy and improper to continue to occupy the cherished and exalted throne of Deji of Akureland, having brought disgrace, dishonour and impudence to the office of the Deji of Akureland.

“The entire Akure Council of Chiefs and the community are now fed up with your bastardised, brutalised and draconian rulership and leadership and have totally, without any reservation, rejected you as their oba with immediate effect.

“You are consequently warned in the interest of peace to stop holding yourself out or parading yourself as the Deji of Akure kingdom henceforth.”

Speaking with newsmen on their resolutions, the Olisa of Akure said the kingmakers were misled into choosing Adesina as Deji of Akure in the first instance and were ready to correct the mistake made four years ago.

The Olisa said all the traditional steps necessary for the removal of a Deji had been completed by the kingmakers, as they had informed the dethroned monarch to leave the palace for another person that would soon emerge.

However, in his reaction, Adesina, who was said to be away from the town, said he was not aware of the decision to remove him as Oba.

Adesina, while speaking on his mobile phone, however, directed newsmen to the kingmakers, saying that he was not ready to engage in an argument with anybody.

When contacted, the Ondo State Police Commissioner, Mr. Donald Iroham, said although he was yet to be briefed on the development, his command would ensure there was no breakdown of law and order in the town.

He said the command was ready to protect life and property of the people of the town, adding “anybody who wants to foment trouble because of that will be dealt with.”

http://www.tribune.com.ng/09112009/news/news1.html
Re: Deji Of Akure Dethroned - Ordered To Vacate Palace Immediately - I Am Not Aware by numen(m): 4:10pm On Jan 17, 2019
I pray this doesn't degenerate to serious fracas and loss of lives.

If the kingmakers have followed due process, they should also notify the police and the governor so nobody will claim "I am not aware" like someone we all know.
Re: Deji Of Akure Dethroned - Ordered To Vacate Palace Immediately - I Am Not Aware by NigerDeltan(m): 4:43pm On Jan 17, 2019
numen:
I pray this doesn't degenerate to serious fracas and loss of lives.

If the kingmakers have followed due process, they should also notify the police and the governor so nobody will claim "I am not aware" like someone we all know.

2009 news
Re: Deji Of Akure Dethroned - Ordered To Vacate Palace Immediately - I Am Not Aware by kemmylove101: 10:49pm On Feb 15, 2020
shocked it really happen before.. so what are iwo pple waiting for then

(1) (Reply)

Gov. Babatunde Fashola Has Failed To Save The Lives Of Innocent Patients / I’ll Take EFCC To The Next Level — Lamorde / Pls Stop Paying Nepa Bills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.