Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,295 members, 7,780,693 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:46 PM

JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME (6519 Views)

FUNAAB Expels Michael Adewale Ifemosu For Writing Open Letter To VC On Facebook / Babcock Vc Advises Secondary School Students To Shun Thuggery / Advises On How To Get Ur Boo Back (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by seunlly(m): 1:23am On Nov 30, 2016
Prof. Olurotimi Ajayi, the
Vice-Chancellor, Crawford
University, Igbesa, Ogun, on
Tuesday called on the
Federal Government to
review its cancellation of
the Post-Unified Tertiary
Matriculation Examinations
(post-UTME).
Ajayi told the News Agency of
Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos that the
cancellation of the Post-UTME and
its subsequent replacement with
screening might not help the
university system.
The Federal Government had on June 1, scrapped the
Post-UTME for candidates seeking admission into higher
institutions.
The Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu, said
that there was no need for another examination to be
conducted by universities after the Joint Admissions
and Matriculation Board (JAMB) examinations.
“The whole idea of the Post-UTME examinations is not
about money generation but about standards.
“Over time, the examinations have shown that intending
students that claimed JAMB marks cannot defend those
marks, which is not the fault of JAMB.
“Some of the students that had high JAMB scores
cannot even pass a simple test conducted by the
universities.
“The test is for the students to prove their ability, to
repeat their feat at the JAMB examinations,’’ Ajayi
said.
He said it was in the interest of institutions, students
as well as the nation for the Federal Government to
reverse its stance on the post-UTME.
The vice-chancellor added that the Post-UTME should be
seen as a type of quality assurance on the part of
universities.
Ajayi said the decision of the Federal Government to fix
a price ceiling for the Post-UTME screening on behalf
of all universities was high-handed.
According to him, the government’s price ceiling will
have a ripple effect on private universities.
The vice-chancellor said that only universities funded by
the government could sustain that ceiling.
“The government coming out to fix the price of our
Post-UTME at just N2,500 seems high-handed because
private universities are not receiving subventions from
the government.
“Some of the parents sending their children to the
private universities already know they will have to pay
more than what is obtainable in the public universities.
“It is unseemly for universities to be controlled by the
government, they are supposed to be governed and
regulated by their councils.
“Although we will comply with the directive, but we are
not very satisfied with it as it seems like a burden.’’
Ajayi said that the Committee of Vice-Chancellors were
already looking at various ways to help the government
realise the implications of its decisions on the nation’s
university system.
He said the committee would soon make its stand on
the plight of universities’ public.

http://www.financialwatchngr.com/2016/11/29/jamb-vc-advises-scrapping-post-utme/
Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by Nutase: 6:57am On Nov 30, 2016
Off VC face ya university and leave FG alone. The money u make from post time is what you're interviewing in.
Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by divinelove(m): 6:57am On Nov 30, 2016
Really
Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by Nobody: 6:57am On Nov 30, 2016
Post-utme is irrelevant if they can standardize the UTME.

In some schools, the admission of any student that scores below 1.5 cgpa in his/her first semester is forfeited. That's a better measure of standard than extorting astronomical fees in the name of Post utme.

1 Like

Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by Lovemaester: 7:01am On Nov 30, 2016
Are u tryin to insinuate the reversal on the policy by the fg
Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by wman(m): 7:01am On Nov 30, 2016
JAMB is not a trustworthy means of testing candidates. Most of these guys cheat their way through JAMB and fail PostUTME miserably.

When PostUTME was introduced in OAU, dropout rate reduced drastically as it helped to separate the wheat from the chaff. Now you can cheat your way through JAMB and WAEC and then gain admission.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by jaxmand: 7:04am On Nov 30, 2016
That one Na school...make better Vc talk .
Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by SEEDORF441(m): 7:04am On Nov 30, 2016
Wetin concern me
Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by Akinaukwa: 7:05am On Nov 30, 2016
I strongly concur, the present admission system is badly flawed.

1 Like

Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by signz: 7:06am On Nov 30, 2016
I don't know why we still have Jamb?

That office should be scrapped and let there be only screening done by the universities. If you fail to get the required score to gain an admission into UNN, try NAU or vice versa.

1 Like

Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by Nobody: 7:07am On Nov 30, 2016
With all your professorship, what has it added to nigeria

With all our professors in economics, the country is in recession

Useless profs and vc claiming ITK
Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by mysteriousman(m): 7:08am On Nov 30, 2016
Without doubt the standard of JAMB has declined recently but we shouldn't be using the old approach to follow things of creating something else because the first is not performing well and yet not able to scrap it. Students can't be writing two exams to get admission into a university, the right thing to do is to strengthen JAMB. End of discussion

1 Like

Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by omoadeleye(m): 7:09am On Nov 30, 2016
Uhm
Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by Nobody: 7:15am On Nov 30, 2016
Pls what is Crawford, is it the name of an island in the British Islands?
Well, this news would only interest LadyF and Co. Though I think he has a point, it's another means by the Min ofEd and Universities to fleece desperate students

1 Like

Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by NevetsIbot(m): 7:16am On Nov 30, 2016
I agree with this. Totally. Since this trash affected me... People who got lucky in jamb gained admission for law in aaua. I'm here doing change of course even tho i knew 240/250 of the question jamb set through rigorous reading.

When I saw the low jamb score, i said 'well, p.utme will be fair. I'll prepare for that too and use it to show I meant bussiness'' ........ Then they scrapped it and I'm here using a low unfair jamb score to process admission.

Restore p.utme. Jamb is not reliable as a body. They've failed as far as I'm concerned

6 Likes

Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by Nobody: 7:21am On Nov 30, 2016
VC. karyanka
Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by LaExpert: 7:24am On Nov 30, 2016
Nutase:
Off VC face ya university and leave FG alone. The money u make from post time is what you're interviewing in.

Not exactly. The man made really good points.

What's the point of the 'screening exercise' if JAMB is sufficient for admission?
Why should a prospective candidate pay #2500 for what's not an exam? Paying #2500 for someone to look through his O' Level? That's unjust.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by tolexy007(m): 7:26am On Nov 30, 2016
well said
Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by WesBreezy: 7:50am On Nov 30, 2016
jaxmand:
That one Na school...make better Vc talk .
e tire me oh.
and he's still saying #2,500 is small to the private universities. Nna sikwa onye'ahun ka'o pakicha well oh
Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by WesBreezy: 7:56am On Nov 30, 2016
LaExpert:

Not exactly. The man made really good points.

What's the point of the 'screening exercise' if JAMB is sufficient for admission?
Why should a prospective candidate pay #2500 for what's not an exam? Paying #2500 for someone to look through his O' Level? That's unjust.
bros don't say that oh. Should et be free? Or eez et their parents that would look through the 0'level. #2500 is not too bad compared to 5k or 10k writing the exam and still failing then you loose at both ends.
Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by Deenite(m): 7:56am On Nov 30, 2016
Do dey even conduct post utme?
Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by princeJ16: 7:59am On Nov 30, 2016
He is right.If Fg is aware that they gulping funds through post utme.They should regulate the fee
Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by Famsey: 8:00am On Nov 30, 2016
I'm surprised at some people's comments....the education system is just getting worse day by day. Instead of scrapping Post UTME, Y not reduce it to just 1k or less, if not even free...then let's see what happens.
The government is just hiding under the price factor...no solid reasons for cancelling it.

1 Like

Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by Eny221: 8:18am On Nov 30, 2016
All these unknown schools
Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by fosch: 8:38am On Nov 30, 2016
Prof is crying for d money he's not making now because of d scrap of post-UTME. Sir,the people conducting the post utme in ur university are no different Nigerians immune against corruption that may have bedevilled JAMB( based on ur claim abt JAMB) Surest way is to use their first yr cgpa to judge who stays or leaves,except if u r not sure of ur lectures. Let's stop all these extortion of Nigerians because of failed government. Go and see what parents are suffering at Nursery, primary n secondary sch levels all in d name of private school. Prof I feel ur concern,but use their 1yr result. If possible continue the measure till their final yr. Putting proper security mechanism in place can help u achieve what you want. I rest my case.
Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by fosch: 8:45am On Nov 30, 2016
Trust Nigerians, anybody that bought his / her way 2ru Jamb, I bet you can buy his/her way 2ru ur post-utme because u don't have saints there. Datz why we need deal with d monster corruption squarely. It has affected everything about this country.

1 Like

Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by EWAagoyin(m): 8:56am On Nov 30, 2016
when other countries universities are doing wonders in science and technology... while other universities in other part of the world students are participating in Intel, Nasa, AMD, Qualcomm competitions .... some people somewhere are still wailing about post utme shouting its not about the whereas the post utme is more systematically corrupt than jamb itself .
Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by EWAagoyin(m): 9:04am On Nov 30, 2016
Famsey:
I'm surprised at some people's comments....the education system is just getting worse day by day. Instead of scrapping Post UTME, Y not reduce it to just 1k or less, if not even free...then let's see what happens.
The government is just hiding under the price factor...no solid reasons for cancelling it.
western countries don't write anything like post utme and I hope u knw u can't compare us with them ,they are very far above us, what we need is improved educational infrastructure and funding for scientific research in our universities not post utme
Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by EWAagoyin(m): 9:07am On Nov 30, 2016
NevetsIbot:
I agree with this. Totally. Since this trash affected me... People who got lucky in jamb gained admission for law in aaua. I'm here doing change of course even tho i knew 240/250 of the question jamb set through rigorous reading.

When I saw the low jamb score, i said 'well, p.utme will be fair. I'll prepare for that too and use it to show I meant bussiness'' ........ Then they scrapped it and I'm here using a low unfair jamb score to process admission.

Restore p.utme. Jamb is not reliable as a body. They've failed as far as I'm concerned
mtcheeew any student that fails always have something to wail about and find fault in .... even in the university it same.

why will u say people that got lucky ....so to u anybody that pass jamb got lucky anyone that failed jamb, jamb failed the person abi... this bad habit won't take u nowhere
Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by EWAagoyin(m): 9:11am On Nov 30, 2016
wman:
JAMB is not a trustworthy means of testing candidates. Most of these guys cheat their way through JAMB and fail PostUTME miserably.

When PostUTME was introduced in OAU, dropout rate reduced drastically as it helped to separate the wheat from the chaff. Now you can cheat your way through JAMB and WAEC and then gain admission.
with CBT u can't cheat ur way anymore
Re: JAMB: VC Advises On Scrapping Of Post UTME by Tobyshegz(m): 9:37am On Nov 30, 2016
Agreed!

(1) (2) (Reply)

University Of Ibadan Shut Down For 2 Weeks Over Students Protest / Welcome To LASGEMS The Schools Students Management Systems / What Will Happen To Naija Students If China Brings This Innovation To Nigeria ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.