Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,555 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:22 PM

60,000 Nigerian Babies Are Born With HIV Yearly – UNAIDS - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 60,000 Nigerian Babies Are Born With HIV Yearly – UNAIDS (602 Views)

Elizabeth Amoah: Ghanaian Born With 2 Vaginas, 2 Wombs Opens Up On Condition / Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids / Four Children From The Same Parents Are Born Blind In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

60,000 Nigerian Babies Are Born With HIV Yearly – UNAIDS by HungerBAD: 6:00am On Nov 30, 2016
Bukola Adebayo

The United Nations AIDS Agency has estimated that about 60,000 babies are born with HIV every year in Nigeria.

The global agency, in a report titled, ‘Progress Report in the Global Plan’, said the figure was the highest for any country in the world.

The report identified mother-to-child transmission as the major means in which these babies were being infected with the viral disease.

It stated, “Nigeria has the largest number of children acquiring HIV infection – nearly 60, 000, a number that has remained largely unchanged since 2009. Without urgent action in Nigeria, the global target is unlikely to be reached.

“Nigeria accounts for one-third of all new HIV infections among children in the world, the largest from any country. Progress here is therefore critical to eliminating new HIV infections among children globally.

“Nearly all indicators assessed show stagnation and suggest that the country is facing significant hurdles.”

According to statistics from the National Agency for the Control of AIDS, about 3.2 out of the 34 million people living with the virus in the world are Nigerians.

It stated that the country accounted for 10 per cent of the global burden of HIV/AIDS.

The Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole, who confirmed that Nigeria had the highest number of children acquiring the infection, said the figures could only be reduced if more Nigerians, especially knew their HIV status.

Adewole, who spoke at a stakeholders meeting in Lagos, said there was also the need to increase funding so that more HIV patients could be placed on antiretroviral medication.

He said, “With the new guidelines, about 500,000 people need to be on treatment and we don’t have the resources. So we chose 100,000. However, we will be meeting with officials from UNAIDS to get more funding. Most importantly, we want Nigerians to know their HIV status.

“This will reduce transmission from mother to child because Nigeria is the highest contributor of paediatric HIV in the world and this cannot continue.”

…WHO issues guidelines on self-testing

Ahead of the World AIDS Day, the World Health Organisation has released new guidelines on HIV self-testing to improve access to diagnosis.

HIV self-testing means people can use oral fluid or blood- finger-pricks to discover their status in a private and convenient setting. Results are ready within 20 minutes or less.

In the new guidelines, those with positive results are advised to seek confirmatory tests at health clinics, information and links to counselling as well as rapid referral to prevention, treatment and care services.

According to a new WHO progress report, lack of diagnosis is a major obstacle to implementing the organisation’s recommendation that everyone with HIV should be offered antiretroviral therapy .

The report revealed that more than 18 million people with HIV are currently taking ART, and a similar number still unable to access treatment, the majority of which are unaware of their HIV positive status.

The WHO Director-General, Dr.Margaret Chan, in a statement on Tuesday stated that over 40 per cent of all people with HIV were unaware of their status adding that many of those at higher risk of infection often found it difficult to access testing services.

Chan said,”Millions of people with HIV are still missing out on life-saving treatment, which can also prevent HIV transmission to others,” said. “HIV self-testing should open the door for many more people to know their HIV status and find out how to get treatment and access prevention services.”

http://punchng.com/60000-nigerian-babies-born-hiv-yearly-unaids/

Re: 60,000 Nigerian Babies Are Born With HIV Yearly – UNAIDS by IykeChukz(m): 6:06am On Nov 30, 2016
Please do not wish our next generation bad...

Check your data again!

1 Like

Re: 60,000 Nigerian Babies Are Born With HIV Yearly – UNAIDS by divinehand2003(m): 6:07am On Nov 30, 2016
Sad.
It's only in Africa, Nigeria in particular, where Health promotion is not taken seriously. After all, there is the general belief among Africans that says, ''DIRTY NOR DEY KILL AFRICAN MAN", yet life expectancy is below 50 years in Africa due to disease.
What a fallacy!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 60,000 Nigerian Babies Are Born With HIV Yearly – UNAIDS by alegbeleye(m): 6:29am On Nov 30, 2016
60,000.......... Make una fear God naw. But people dey born o
Re: 60,000 Nigerian Babies Are Born With HIV Yearly – UNAIDS by Khd95(m): 6:30am On Nov 30, 2016
That is nigeria have d largest carriers of HIV/AIDSsad
Re: 60,000 Nigerian Babies Are Born With HIV Yearly – UNAIDS by eleko1: 6:47am On Nov 30, 2016
embarassed Hungerbad. NCC and PA Emefile(whatever useless name him be)dey do us strong.Is dis how they'll pay us back for supporting PA Buhari?i dey subscribe data for my wife,children too.Anyway,God dey
Re: 60,000 Nigerian Babies Are Born With HIV Yearly – UNAIDS by HungerBAD: 6:49am On Nov 30, 2016
eleko1:
embarassed Hungerbad. NCC and PA Emefile(whatever useless name him be)dey do us strong.Is dis how they'll pay us back for supporting PA Buhari?i dey subscribe data for my wife,children too.Anyway,God dey

Bros.

I plead the 5th.

1 Like

Re: 60,000 Nigerian Babies Are Born With HIV Yearly – UNAIDS by Atiku2019: 6:50am On Nov 30, 2016
Lies Jare cool

More PEPFAR funds for some top Directors of NACA, SACAs, CIHP, IHVN, AHF, APIN, SHF
Re: 60,000 Nigerian Babies Are Born With HIV Yearly – UNAIDS by Towncrier007(m): 6:51am On Nov 30, 2016
but why?
Re: 60,000 Nigerian Babies Are Born With HIV Yearly – UNAIDS by kinggogo: 6:56am On Nov 30, 2016
From mother to child transmission i guess

Too bad
Re: 60,000 Nigerian Babies Are Born With HIV Yearly – UNAIDS by southernbelle(f): 8:46am On Nov 30, 2016
60,000?? Poor babies.
embarassed embarassed
It stated that the country accounted for 10 per cent of the global burden of HIV/AIDS.
10%? Nah, I don't believe that.
Re: 60,000 Nigerian Babies Are Born With HIV Yearly – UNAIDS by Healthgwr: 3:44pm On Nov 30, 2016
[b]BELL Healthy LIFESTYLES CHRONIC DISEASE RELIEF. WHY DIE IN SILENCE. You can maintain good health and treat all Chronic DISEASE with BELL PRODUCTS. OVER 60 CANADIAN PRODUCTS THAT REALLY WORK

Bell products will take care of ………………….

The products have been of great help to all serious medical challenges. Read more of various testimonies with their phone numbers of those who have been benefited from ……….. Everyday, we receive amazing testimonials about our product efficacy. Testimonies stream in from Doctors, Pharmacists, other health Personnels, distributors, and in fact from everyone! All forms of chronic ailments bow at the feet of Bell Lifestyle products. Hundreds of Thousands of people have been helped!

Sixty three pages of various testimonies mostly Nigerian

and their phone numbers who had various serious health challenges before click the link bellow.

[/b]To order call Akin now +2348051400850 +2347031998888

Or 08051400850 07031998888

For more information, inbox me or visit

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByZ2hSToNNZ-ZXhTU3hySThUQlE/view?usp=sharing

15 years ago, I started having arthritis, prostate, kidney, snoring and sleep problems.

All were helped quickly with natural health products with no dide effects. I made it my life’s purpose to help others.

This is what happened to me personally after suffering for years. I spent $2,000 on pills, creams, physiotherapy, acupuncture, magnetic devices etc. No relief until I took specially processed shark cartilage for two weeks and all pain was gone.

It’s rewarding to be useful to your own family. It’s still more rewarding to contribute to society and serve a cause greater than yourself. There can be no greater satisfaction than when men and women write that after suffering for many years with chronic diseases, they were amazed about the quick relief they had with Bell natural health products. I feel grateful to have opportunity to help others and give purpose to my life. Chronic diseases account for half of all personal health expenses and tax payers’ money spent by government on health matters. Late in life at 65, I discovered that natural health products could help me passionally to overcome health problems I suffered with every day for over 10 years without getting relief with synthetic drugs. My own health problems gave me the insight and put me into this position to help other people everywhere in North America and around the world.

We are proud to have helped hundreds of thousands of men and women to restore their quality of life since 1996

What makes Bell products different from many others in the market is the fact that we give an extremely high satisfaction rate and A Must Help or Money Refunded guarantee on most of our products. Nick A Jerch (President Bell Lifestyle Canada Incorporated) A professor in medicine based in Canada who had about six terminal ailments (diabetes, kidney problem, hypertension, over weight, prostrate disorders, arthritis, his manhood gone) before he discovered Bell products many years ago. …….

“For the past 50 years I have been demonstrating that the use of natural nutritional treatment is and must be the most effective form of medicine and that when it is not used and the profession depends solely on the use of toxic drugs the results are abysmal” Dr Abram Hoffer, MD PhD FRCP ©

As a Company, our commitment is to provide you with the best satisfying and financially rewarding Service. As a Doctorate Research Pharmacist with over 30 years of experience, I have come to the conclusion that for Chronic Disease, the use of Natural Nutritional. Supplement is the most effective medicine with minimal or no side effects compared to toxic convectional drugs. (Managing Director and CEO, Bell Lifestyle Nigeria Limited Dr. Theo Anucha, BPharm, PhD, MPSN

Bell products will take care of ………………….

The products have been of great help to all serious medical challenges. Read more of various testimonies with their phone numbers of those who have been benefited from ………..

Everyday, we receive amazing testimonials about our product efficacy. Testimonies stream in from Doctors, Pharmacists, other health Personnels, distributors, and in fact from everyone! All forms of chronic ailments bow at the feet of Bell Lifestyle products. Hundreds of Thousands of people have been helped!

To order call Akin now +2348051400850 +2347031998888 or

08051400850 07031998888

For more information, visit

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByZ2hSToNNZ-ZXhTU3hySThUQlE/view?usp=sharing

Attachments area

IykeChukz:
Please do not wish our next generation bad...

Check your data again!
Re: 60,000 Nigerian Babies Are Born With HIV Yearly – UNAIDS by buffalowings: 5:11pm On Nov 30, 2016
Just watch as this news languishes in the back page.

Chai but wait o

That's pretty much

Modified

See that fellow peddling herbal products

(1) (Reply)

5 Ways To Improve Digestion Power Naturally / 5 Reasons Alcohol Can Be GREAT For Your Health / Herbal Doctors Cure HIV And AIDS. Thank You Lord.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.